Conquer Club

Textures & grunge for mapmaking purposes - free for all

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Textures & grunge for mapmaking purposes - free for all

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Hello everyone. Ever since learning the technique of grunge textures, I have been fascinated with texture making. I've developed quite a few styles of textures on my own, so I want to share and give something back to the mapmaking community. Perhaps someone finds them useful... anyone will be free to use any textures posted here for their maps.

Textures in a nutshell:

1) paste the texture on a layer on top of the layer with your land area / sea/ whatever you want to texturize

2) if your software supports alpha masks, set the mask so that only the part you want to texturize is visible. If not, simply select the area you want to texturize, invert selection and cut away the portion of the texture that is not on top the area you want to texturize.

3) set the texture layer either on multiply or overlay and adjust the opacity according to how strong a texture you want. The difference between multiply/overlay is that in multiply, white is invisible and anything darker than white makes the image darker, while in overlay, grey (7f7f7f) is invisible, anything darker than grey makes the image darker, and anything lighter than grey makes the image lighter. You can also use Colour burn, which is basically a logical AND function... experiment to see which one suits your purpose best.

For a more thorough explanation on texture usage, check out Rjbeals' excellent grunge tutorial.

------

So here are some textures, I will be posting more as I make them. If you want I can also make textures on request, just tell me what kind of texture you need and I'll figure out how to make it... I like the challenge ;)

All textures are sized 1000x1000 to suit mapmaking purposes.

Oil painting
Click image to enlarge.

Kinda like acryl-painted wall
Click image to enlarge.

Bumpy metal
Click image to enlarge.

Barren landscape grunge
Click image to enlarge.

Umm... rhino skin?
Click image to enlarge.

Scratched surface
Click image to enlarge.

More to come, and everyone else is also welcome to post their self-made textures.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Textures & grunge for mapmaking purposes - free for all

Postby RjBeals on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:00 pm

good tutorial Nat - unfortunately, I accidentally deleted some image folders, and the tutorial images are wiped out. I may have them backed up somewhere, just never looked. Grunge effects are the trick though - all map makers should know about them.
Private RjBeals

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 pm

RjBeals wrote:good tutorial Nat - unfortunately, I accidentally deleted some image folders, and the tutorial images are wiped out. I may have them backed up somewhere, just never looked. Grunge effects are the trick though - all map makers should know about them.

Tutorial? Well, I did explain how the textures are applied, but I'd hesitate calling this a tutorial - if this was a tutorial I would explain how the above texture images are made.

Which I would do, but I work with paint.net and I know of only one other mapmaker who uses it, so I'm not sure if the complete tutorial would benefit anyone...

Anyway Beals, I owe a lot to your grunge tutorial... I remember hearing people talk about grunge on map threads and thinking it's got to be some advanced photoshop effect, and then I stumbled on your thread and found out how simple it is... thanks for that. I hope you find the tutorial files, for the benefit of future mapmakers ;)

Postby RjBeals on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 pm

glad to hear the tutorial helped. Unfortunately, the image files are gone. Somebody else will have to step up and post some tutorials - if they are needed.
Private RjBeals

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:42 am

RjBeals wrote:glad to hear the tutorial helped. Unfortunately, the image files are gone. Somebody else will have to step up and post some tutorials - if they are needed.

hm, perhaps someday when I'm bored again ;)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:29 pm

I didn't make these, but they weren't worthy of another topic. I found this awesome megalist with a ton of grunge brushes:

http://designm.ag/resources/450-photosh ... e-brushes/

I downloaded a few, so there they are. Some good ones in there -- it might save you some time from googling. Enjoy,

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:00 pm

If anyone needs grunge textures for GIMP, you can use my Texture python script

http://registry.gimp.org/node/25198

Return to Tools & Guides