Conquer Club

[Guide] How to draw smooth borders

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Guide] How to draw smooth borders

Postby Lone.prophet on Mon May 12, 2008 8:53 am

ok gimil asked me how i did the gulfs border wel here is a minitut

1, i made the continents in illustrator

2, i make all borders in illustrator ( i think its a 2 pixel brush thoough it could be something in close)

back in photoshop:

3, i give the border a outer glow of white with noise set on overlay

4, i do an apply image blur it a couple of times and set the layer to darken

hope you liked it and learned something
Last edited by Lone.prophet on Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Lone.prophet

Re: Map-Making TTT (Tips, Tricks & Tutorials)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:57 pm

RjBeals wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I want to redraw the territory borders, as I want them to look fresh and crisp. At the moment I think they look a bit jaggedy and distorted (as well as inaccurate in 1 or 2 places like N Ireland).... I think this will be a major major task, as my couple of attempts at redoing the border have taken ages, and not been overly successful... Any suggestions on how to do this quickly, easily and efficiently would be warmly received.

I like to use a solid black 2-pixel brush with a hardness of 100% (Opacity 100% & Flow 100%). This gives a good well defined smooth border. I will sometimes outline the entire bonus region in a 3 or 4 pixel brush also, just to keep it separated even more. Zoom in close on your original map and trace the borders. Yes it will take a while, but most likely not as long as you think. How accurate you keep it is up to you.

Image Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Map-Making TTT (Tips, Tricks & Tutorials)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Subject: Route 66, ver 3 pg 2

WidowMakers wrote:Image
I just use this method because you get the smooth look and the stokes are editable in realtime.

And even if you don't use it or think it is appropriate for this project that is OK.
It is just another way to do the same thing and I just wanted to share it with everyone.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... trokes.psd
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Return to Tools & Guides