Conquer Club

Dark Tower Tournament [Winner: sour][TO: dittoeevee8888]

Tournaments completed in 2009.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Should the round 1 games be set up by rank (e.g., game #1 = highest 8 scores, etc.) or be random?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:45 am

By Rank
41%
Completely Random
56%
Say what... I don't understand the question...
3%

Total votes : 32

Dark Tower Tournament [Winner: sour][TO: dittoeevee8888]

Postby gdeangel on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:36 am

September 16 update: The Round 2 teams have been formed. Three teams voluntarily formed, and the remaining 5 were matched together by me according to the requirements and games formed so that everyone will see as many new opponents this round as possible. The chart is on p. 4 listing the team and match ups (Click Here). Please join your game within 1 week of receiving the PM with the password. Good luck!

August 31 update: Sour has emerged last player standing in the final round 1 bracket. We would like to kick off round 2 no later than 2 weeks from now (Sept 14), so that means a lot of you have to get moving on your ka tet. We need 8 teams of 4, comprises each of 2 pairs who have met before in battle during round 1. As of this update, we have officially received only 2 ka tet rosters, so the sooner everyone gets in the other 6, the sooner we can move on to next round - Drawing of the Three. ANYONE WHO IS NOT IN A KA TET BY THE DEADLINE WILL BE RANDOMLY ASSIGNED TO ONE.

August 23 update: We are coming down the home stretch in the last two Tull shootouts. Scores are being updated. I also have begun an official list of round 2 ka tet that have notified us on page 4 clicky. Once the last round 1 game has completed, we'll send everyone a PM telling you when the deadline will be for teams, and after that we'll match up any stragglers randomly / reform the last teams to respond if needed.

August 10 update: As promised, I've reviewed the permutations of points per round. I have revised in a couple of places below, which are highlighted in orange. The maximum points that can possibly be earned in this tournament is now 26, and slightly more balanced between the first and second half of the tournament.

This is an open tournament for both premium and freemium players that will be 32 players roughly paralleling the seven book cycle by Stephen King. Since interest is a little tepid, I'm adding some back story to those who may not have read the whole series, or just know of it generally and are fans of King and/or the genre.

Here are the tournament mechanics:

• Stage 1: The Gunslinger Roland of Gilliead begins alone, in pursuit of his adversary the man in black. The world has moved on. COMPLETE: Results here
    • 8-player games. Freestyle. Roland (the Gunslinger) must pass by the town of Tull, where the man in black has proselytized the people, who mob him. Rolland deftly lays them all low reloading each gun with one hand, shooting on the run, leaving everyone in the town dead. Last person standing gets 5 points.
      Map: Dust Bowl
      Settings No Cards, Sunny, Unlimited, Freestyle
  • Stage 2: Drawing of the three COMPLETE: Results here
    • Quads. Roland must assemble his ka tet using a series of inter-dimensional portals that connect to varios times in New York City. One of the people he draws will be the boy, Jake Chambers, whom he parted with in the first installment. You will have to pick three teammates from the people in the tourney. One must have played with you in stage 1. The other 2 must not have, and no 2 winners of Stage 1 can be on the same team. Winning team members get 3 points each.
      Map: NYC
      Setting: Esc, Foggy, Chained, Seq
  • Stage 3: The Wastelands Submission of doubles partners due October 18:
      Doubles. Roland and his three companions travel in Roland's world through a post-apocalyptic civilization. In the city of Lud, they are separated and Roland must Rescue Jake. Eddie and Susannah must make their way to the insane high speed monorail called Blaine that will take them through the impassable waste. The teams from stage 2 will divide up...
    • 2 players will play USA Apocalypse and
    • 2 will play on Rail USA.
      Each team win earns all four members of the team +2 points (maximum for any player = +4 if both pairs win).
      Settings Flat Rate, Foggy, Chained, Seq.
  • Stage 4: Wizard and Glass
      Quads/Face off. The group travels on by foot, with Roland telling the tale of his first quest as a gunslinger in his boyhood, with three other boys, in the time before the world had moved on. The group comes upon a worm-hold like void that emanates a sound that drives people mad.
    • One person from the stage 2 teams will play with three other individuals (as a team of 4), each from another stage 2 team... they will be playing the flashback on Age of Merchants. Each person on a winning team gets +3 points. Settings: Esc, Foggy, Chained, Seq.
    • The other three people from the stage 2 teams will play against each other (driven mad by the Thinny) on USA Apocalypse. Winner of this match gets +2. This is my own creative add to the plotline to make the tournament more interesting. Settings: No Cards, Sunny, Adjacent, Seq
  • Stage 5: Wolves of the Cala The group stages a "Seven Samurai" type mission in the town of Calla Bryn Sturgis. While there they meet Pere Callahan, whose tales of how he came to be there from his previous life of a Vampire killer leads to an crystallization of understanding the nature of the foe.
    • Assassin (the low men hunting Pere Callahan). All four team member from the stage 2 teams, plus 4 from another stage 2 team. Winner of match earns 3 points.
      Map: North America. Settings: No Cards, Foggy, Chained, Seq
  • Stage 6: Song of Suzannah Suzannah is possessed by an alter ego and flees to present day New York. Roland is apparently failing under a form of really bad arthritis. Pere Callahan and Jake must save Suzannah in New York, while Roland and Eddie travel through New England to save the owner of a vacant New York lot.
    • Triples (three that played together in stage 4). Map: USA Winning team earns +3. Member of team who has a bye earns +1 if the other three of their team members win. Settings: Esc, Sunny, Unlimited, Seq
  • Stage 7: Dark Tower
    • Terminator. One by one the members of the ka tet depart Roland's story, beginning on their assault on an apocalyptic encampment of psychics who are attempting to destroy the world. Roland faces a stand off with the Crimson King at the Dark Tower Two stage 2 teams(all four) will play in the same matches together on Arms Race (terminator = free for all) . Tournaments points will be awarded as follows: person winning the match: +4. last eliminated player +4. 6th eliminated +3. 5th eliminated +1. Settings: Esc, Foggy, Chained, Seq. Even though the winning team all gets the cc points, the tournament points can go to members of different teams.
    • All players that win on Arms Race will go to a bonus round against the other winners (4 player standard, seq), with the winner of that match taking away an extra 3 tournament points. Map will probably be King of the Mountains, but if the Skyscraper map (or something more suitable) ever gets finished by the time we get to stage 7, we'll switch to that. Settings: Flat, Sunny, Adjacent, Seq

This is a dynamic tournament. It will be played with all different kinds of combinations of settings. It will be played solo and in teams, and different teammates at different stages. It will be played on several maps - some traditional, some "cc specials". This is a great tournament to prove you are a versatile player.

If you just read above and say... WTF... then this is probably not a good tournament for you. Don't sign up. Because of the ad-hoc nature of the teams, going from round to round, deadbeating will really screw this up. So only sign up if you are a fan of the The Dark Tower and/or can appreciate the parallels in the story line enough to see this through.

I'd like to get a few reserves as well. If you are called up you will get the points of the person whose place you are taking plus a suitable bonus to put you in the running to win (since prob people abandoning the tournament are going to otherwise be out of the running)

UPDATE: Dittoeeevvveee8888 is co-organizing this tournament with me. We will be starting a thread in callouts where, once the round 1 games gets underway, people can link up to form their stage 2 ka tet (see above for the guidelines). We are also doing a sanity check on the point allocations per game/round to ensure that the tournament remains as competitive as possible throughout. Ditto will not play in the tournament, so she will be the final arbiter of any disputes and decisions that might affect the tournament once we get underway (since I will sort of have a conflict of interest... ) Also a poll has been added that will affect how we set up the first set of games. Thanks for joining ditto!

Remember, you don't sign up as a team... you'll pick teams after Stage 1. Freemium are welcome... this will only take up 1 slot, and I'll give you probably a week at least notice before each round starts (cause there will be obvious logistics within the teams to be decided before games can be made). So you don't need to hold open a slot for 3 months, but I do ask that you commit to having at least one slot that you can reasonably get open within a week's notice.

I plan to play as well if this gets off the ground.
Thanks for your interest.

Signups:
  1. gdeangel
  2. tabsnake
  3. seamusvibe
  4. poptartpsycho18
  5. xerro
  6. icicletasty69
  7. Natewolfman
  8. Marfski
  9. taxmanjle
  10. thessel73
  11. Anarkistsdream
  12. sour
  13. popeyelvc
  14. girque
  15. Anewsome
  16. blockhead15
  17. Corman
  18. Zorbas
  19. Ryall55
  20. Bigragooch
  21. Haggis_McMutton
  22. jgalioto
  23. Rowena C
  24. Lexitonia5
  25. Frigidus
  26. iLflankU
  27. spidey
  28. Kilazul
  29. Spinal
  30. mitb
  31. Jackofalltrades
  32. Gibbo123

Reserves:
  1. ekimlil216
  2. fellonius
  3. MEK
Last edited by gdeangel on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:22 am, edited 57 times in total.
My ever constant two last games seem to have no end in sight!
Sergeant gdeangel

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament (sign up's close 7/13)

Postby White Moose on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:54 pm

You could almost not pick a worse map for 8 players in round 1 :P

Sorry, but im not in.
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby tabsnake on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:31 pm

I'll Play. Thanks
Lieutenant tabsnake

Postby gdeangel on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Links to results (also linked in first post above)
Round 1: here
Round 2: here

Leader board
As of 10/14/08:

Just a reminder explanation to those who may not be following this thread, that ekim and fellonius received 2 points for joining as reserves within 24 of the disqualification of mitb and corman for not joining their games...
Last edited by gdeangel on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby gdeangel on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:56 pm

White Moose wrote:You could almost not pick a worse map for 8 players in round 1 :P

Sorry, but im not in.

It's not suppose to be easy. I don't like that map either... but like grinding away through no-man's land, it's supposed to be really hard. Hopefully I set the tournament points so that winner of that match is by no means pre-ordained to take the lead in the tourney.
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby seamusvibe on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 pm

great series. sign me up.
Corporal 1st Class seamusvibe

Postby poptartpsycho18 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:36 pm

In.
Corporal poptartpsycho18

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament (sign up's close July 14)

Postby xerro on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:29 am

i'll play
:mrgreen:
Highest Rank and Score: Captain, 1828
The Last Cavalier
Sergeant xerro

Postby icicletasty69 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:15 pm

I'll play
Captain icicletasty69

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:24 pm

im in

question though,
for the teams you said we get to pick our own? any more clarification here?
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby gdeangel on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Natewolfman wrote:im in

question though,
for the teams you said we get to pick our own? any more clarification here?

Glad to have you in the tourney Nate! When you play out the first game on dust bowl, all the assignments will be random. Somewhere in the mix is Jake. So in Stage 2, Roland teams up with Jake again... Eddie and Detta/Odetta/Suzzanah. Since Eddie and Suzanah are not in the first book, the will have to be people who played in a different game. So each Stage 1 bracket will end up having 4 pairs of people who agree to work together. They will have to find a pair from another bracket to round out the 4 person team. I figure people can either pair up after Stage 1 based on who they know/think played well/etc. Anyone who doesn't pair up on their own will get randomly assigned a partner, but people will have a week or so after Stage 1 concludes and results are posted to figure out the pairings.

So now that I think it through a little further, we need 32 to make this work or the rule will have to change (i.e., 16 pairs to combine into 8 quad teams). I'm changing the sign-up framework accordingly... :D
Sergeant gdeangel

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament [7/32]

Postby Marfski on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:53 pm

Sign me up please
Sergeant Marfski

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament [8/32]

Postby taxmanjle on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:14 am

I'm down for this one.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
You're a star-belly sneech
You suck like a leach
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss ass while you bitch
So you can get rich
But your boss gets richer off you
Corporal taxmanjle

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament [9/32]

Postby thessel73 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:48 am

I would like to join please 8-) thank you
Cadet thessel73

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament [10/32]

Postby gdeangel on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 am

Bump - thanks to those who signed up. There's still plenty of room...
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby gdeangel on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:45 am

Bump again - added more flushing out of the plot for those who are not particularly familiar with every book in the series. We still have plenty of room!
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby Anarkistsdream on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:18 am

I'm in and I win
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby Anarkistsdream on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:19 am

# Stage 6: Song of Suzzana Suzzana is possessed by an alter ego and flees to present day New York. Roland is apparently failing under a form of really bad arthritis. Pere Callahan and Jake must save Suzzana in New York, while Roland and Eddie travel through New England to save the owner of a vacant New York lot.

* Tripples (three that played together in stage 4). Map: USA Winning team earns +3. Member of team who has a bye earns +1 if the other three of their team members win.

It's Susannah... ;)

And Triples only has one 'p' in it.
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament [11/32]

Postby gdeangel on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks - fixed the spelling and you're added. That arm should get you a couple of bonus points ;)
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby sour on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:25 pm

i'm in
Major sour

Postby popeyelvc on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Count me in
Corporal 1st Class popeyelvc

Re: The Dark Tower Tournament [13/32]

Postby girque on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:39 pm

i'll play