Conquer Club

[GP] [Rules] Eliminate Deferred Troops

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Deferred Troops Revamp

Postby Dibbun on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Concise description: No more rewards for missing turns.
  • Missing turns to get an advantage is absolute horseshit and should stop.

Specifics/Details:
  • No more deferred troops
  • Teammate does not get troops/cards upon deadbeating
  • Card is awarded at end of turn if a territory was conquered, even if time runs out

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Sick of cheaters who use loopholes to exploit game mechanics.
nagerous wrote:Dibbun is a well known psychotic from the forums

Army of GOD wrote:Congrats to Dibbun, the white jesus, and all of his mercy and forgiveness.

Jdsizzleslice wrote: So you can crawl back to whatever psychosocial nutjob hole you came from.
Lieutenant Dibbun

Re: The Take Your Goddamn Turn Act of 2012

Postby Campin_Killer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Agree with #1 and #3.

#2, not so much, if you had an RL issue come up
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby Lindax on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Kind of agree, but it may create more account sitting abuse.

Let's get that account sitting feature first, then implement the suggested changes.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby zimmah on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:30 pm

losing a turn is never a good thing. if you allow people to get an advantage of missing turns, you're playing badly.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Re: Eliminate Deferred Troops [REJECTED]

Postby scotthansen1 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:04 pm

I say get rid of it , you already get 24 hours to take your turn and should not be afforded the luxury of keeping your troops . I've had to many contest in the early rounds lost because of a large stack attacking you and taking your bonus away and then playing catch-up the whole game. I played one game where and opponet missed 10 turns ( 10) days, ridiculous
Captain scotthansen1

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:38 am

Dibbun wrote:Concise description: No more rewards for missing turns.
  • Missing turns to get an advantage is absolute horseshit and should stop.

It is a very rare situation when missing a turn is an advantage, if the opponent is competent.
That being said, one of your points is definitely relevant:

Dibbun wrote:[*]Card is awarded at end of turn if a territory was conquered, even if time runs out[/list]

This really needs to be corrected, at least for nuclear spoils. It just doesn't make sense to
allow it to continue.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby gimli1990 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:50 am

i completely agree with woodruff here you should get a card of you took a region no matter what period..
i love we finally got AA otherwise known now as trench YES!!!!!
Highest Score: Major 2329
Cook gimli1990

Postby nicestash on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:36 am

Dibbun wrote:[*]Card is awarded at end of turn if a territory was conquered, even if time runs out[/list]

No way! This would completely ruin doodle earth games where much of the game is won and lost from the ability to end your turn.
-1 from me
Captain nicestash

Postby ad10r3tr0 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 pm

While it would be excellent for sequential games..

For Freestylers - not so much.. Especially the 8 man Classic Escalating where people use the last 10 seconds to conquer 20 terts and still have time to end..If you implemented that suggestion, they would get a card no matter what..which isnt right
Cook ad10r3tr0

Postby Robert The Red on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Quite right you should not get deffered troops if you miss your turn, that will encourage us all to take our turns and keep the game flowing.
Major Robert The Red

Postby _sabotage_ on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Deadbeat and you're out. Keep it simple. We have 24 hours to play. If that isn't long enough, most people have sitters. If you're just not into the game, don't join.

I don't have a sitter, I have missed turns, I would be happy to accept this.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby nicestash on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:48 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Deadbeat and you're out. Keep it simple. We have 24 hours to play. If that isn't long enough, most people have sitters. If you're just not into the game, don't join.

I don't have a sitter, I have missed turns, I would be happy to accept this.

You certainly couldn't do this for speed games. Oftentimes games can take several hours to fill up, and sometimes people don't hear the beep that the game has started or are going to the bathroom or grabbing some food or doing some sort of chores and miss the first turn. I've done it plenty of times, but that doesn't mean I'm not into the game. Also, if you consider running out of time deadbeating, then a single 3 second lag could eject 6 or 7 players from a doodle game.
Another -1
Captain nicestash

Postby IcePack on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:00 am

Big fat no from me here
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby x-raider on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:03 am

This should be available as a special game-play option e.g: "Compulsory turns" .
No point forcing these changes on people. If they wish to abide by these settings they can.
I believe the same can be said about many of the suggestions.

Personally, I would use this selectively.

Lindax wrote:Kind of agree, but it may create more account sitting abuse.

Let's get that account sitting feature first, then implement the suggested changes.

Lx
Here, here! ...keep things from getting messy.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Dibbun on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17 am

x-raider wrote:This should be available as a special game-play option e.g: "Compulsory turns" .
No point forcing these changes on people. If they wish to abide by these settings they can.
I believe the same can be said about many of the suggestions.

I'd be good with that.

Army of GOD wrote:Congrats to Dibbun, the white jesus, and all of his mercy and forgiveness.

Jdsizzleslice wrote: So you can crawl back to whatever psychosocial nutjob hole you came from.
Lieutenant Dibbun

Postby nudge on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 am

x-raider wrote:This should be available as a special game-play option e.g: "Compulsory turns" .

More often than not the game I start will have that option ticked...
Private 1st Class nudge

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm

You should still get your deferred troops, but why not allow them to be distributed at the end of the first turn back? That would prevent the unexpected drop/attack and negate the advantage while retaining the compensation for RL absences.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:17 pm

MrBenn wrote:You should still get your deferred troops, but why not allow them to be distributed at the end of the first turn back? That would prevent the unexpected drop/attack and negate the advantage while retaining the compensation for RL absences.

It's already been changed so you get your deferred troops after the attack. You can still reinforce with them, but you can't attack with them.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dibbun on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
MrBenn wrote:You should still get your deferred troops, but why not allow them to be distributed at the end of the first turn back? That would prevent the unexpected drop/attack and negate the advantage while retaining the compensation for RL absences.

It's already been changed so you get your deferred troops after the attack. You can still reinforce with them, but you can't attack with them.

The problem is with assassin games. I have had my target deadbeat and that is a GAME BREAKER no question because I've spent 2 turns knocking him down and then he deadbeats and I have his target who has had absolutely no work done on them while my resources are depleted...

So of course someone can miss two turns and I'm like shit should I still attack this guy... if I back off then he comes back with a huge stack what kind of shit is that? f*ck that shit, end that bullshit that's not how the game is supposed to be played.

Lieutenant Dibbun

Postby _sabotage_ on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:00 pm

Intentional dead beating is against the rules. There are many instances where this would effect a game.

I was on a no spoils game where a player did this systematically, i would go into details but i might die of boredom. I just lost a triples game bc my partner did it on accident, if we look at the current conquer cup, we see red has come back with 90 minutes to go after missing his last two turns. He hadn't been attacked in his absence, two others cashed cards in front of him and he receives his deferred troops. MC0 was accused of using dead beating as a stratagem, I know this can't be true as his only strategy is utter agression, throw caution to the wind.

I read recently that 8 million children disappeared in a single year in America, once their social security no was required to list them as a dependent on the tax return. Giving the option people will cheat. I would never declare a child on my tax form as I wouldn't file one. I'm hoping to stay out of that whole thing. That being said, I won't renew my premium here either. This site is trying to function as a business and yet ignoring its customer.

A setting no setting, cheating no cheating. It's all bs. If you join a speed game, pay attention. If you join a regular game, pay attention.

I couldn't get online. Sure. I was thought my wife was in labor. Congrats, you've deadbeated intentionally. This is a game, there are rules. You get kicked out for dead beating. bc any smart phone, tablet, desktop or sitter could have prevented this.

If you haven't made the effort to find one of these available, you probably don't really care. It's a game, you don't really need to care, so continue not caring about the lost points, or make the effort.

We have deadbeating in four instances:

1. Strategy
2. Apathy
3. Lack of access
4. Speed games

In all of these instances, a forced one deadbeat and your out would solve the problem. No more strategy in it, the apathetic would be eliminated quickly, people would acquire access or not join or occasionally suffer when they really are on the moon, or find a sitter and people wouldn't join speed games that they weren't paying attention to.

It creates one problem, team games. A saboteur could be placed on an opposing team and let his time run out handicapping the team. Mind you, this could be done anyway and there are rules governing it separately.

Of course, if implemented, it wouldn't be no deadbeating, but no missed turns. And of course this idea will be despised by:

1. Someone who generally dislikes rules, ie me,
2. People who strategically/systematically deadbeat,
3. People who can be bothered to comment on this but not bothered to take their turn and expect no punishment for it
Captain _sabotage_

Postby agentcom on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Another thread MERGED and the introduction has been edited.
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Colonel agentcom

Postby ZeekLTK on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I think the main gripe with deferred armies is that it allows the player who missed a turn to be extra aggressive on the turn after they've missed - they can attack with more troops than they otherwise would risk, because they know that they have deferred troops to put down as defenders once their attack is over.

So people think maybe if their opponent hadn't missed a turn, they wouldn't have been willing to risk attacking because then they would leave themselves in a vulnerable position. But instead, they get to attack you and then still have a strong defense of the troops that are deferred.

Like let's say you are busying fighting another opponent and you have a border with someone who misses a turn. Let's say you have 8v8 on that border and are getting 4 per turn. Normally, if your opponent drops his 4 there and attacks 12v8, you can then respond to that by hitting whatever he has left on the following turn. However, if he misses a turn and comes back and attacks the 12v8, he then gets to drop EXTRA troops after the battle that he normally wouldn't be able to do.

So let's say in a normal case, attacking 12v8 drops us to 3v2. On a normal turn, him only have 3 armies left is a problem (for him) because I can hit him back with 2+4 = 6 on my turn. However, if he's missed a turn, he drops his extra 4 there after the attack and all of a sudden it's 7v2. Even if I drop on that territory to respond, I'm only able to make it 6v7 - he still has the advantage. That's what makes it "unfair" when it comes to deferred troops, because without those deferred troops (had he attacked me the previous turn he missed), then I would have had the advantage, but now I don't just because he missed a turn.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK

Postby spiesr on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

ZeekLTK wrote:
show
The counter to that is since he wasn't able to attack you on the turn that he missed you could have used your turn that round to either preemptively increase your defenses on that border or make potentially valuable gains elsewhere. So, unless you get dice screwed or fail to anticipate or opponent's return from his absence you should be just a prepared for your opponents attack, or even more so, than you would had he not missed that turn.
Captain spiesr

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:19 pm

spiesr wrote:
ZeekLTK wrote:
show
The counter to that is since he wasn't able to attack you on the turn that he missed you could have used your turn that round to either preemptively increase your defenses on that border or make potentially valuable gains elsewhere. So, unless you get dice screwed or fail to anticipate or opponent's return from his absence you should be just a prepared for your opponents attack, or even more so, than you would had he not missed that turn.

those are wise words. it's a pity so many don't understand the advantages to be gained by others missing turns.
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions