Conquer Club

[PC] Average Wait / Response Time

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Should we place an Average Wait Time on each person's wall?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes : 32

Re: Average Response Time

Postby Dorieus on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:12 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:
Dorieus wrote:One problem with this suggestion is that players in US time zones will have an advantage, whereas players in other zones will wrongly appear to be slower.

huh?

Please elaborate...
1 hour in the US is the same as 1 hour in Europe... unless Im missing something

No, I misunderstood the suggestion. My apologies.
Private Dorieus

Postby darth emperor on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I agree with squishyg, to know this info not only is useless, but also is not curious... the problem with this suggestion is that you are assuming, that everyone is taking their games in order, but that's not true. Sometimes, you feel like skipping one game and take it later, or is a team game therefore you'll play it later waiting your team response. That's why we have the skip option. It's an inaccurate info, that would only discriminate players. If you want to have more turns, you are a premium, make some games, play speeds, just play 1v1 so you'll play faster... there are many options... as squishyg pointed this site is designed for the casual player, connect every 24 hours is enough, if you want more, premium gives you a lot of options
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby PapaGeek on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:29 pm

I totally realize that different players have different styles of play. Some like to take a longer time and think things out more. Some only play once a day. But then some of us play 3 or 4 times a day and would like to play “quicker” games.

Many of the 8 player games that I get in take as much as 3 or 4 days between turns when a number of “slow” response players are in the game.

Here is an idea of what I’m asking for. First of all I have no idea what the stats might look like.

Only a player with an Average Response Time of 4 hours or less can start a “Fast Response” game. You can’t join a Fast Response game unless your average response time is 8 hours or less. Both numbers are up for debate and shouldn’t be determined until after we gather the stats for a while.

You still have the ability to take 24 hours in a Fast Response game, no penalty, but it does lower you average time and you might not be able to join another Fast Response game until you speed thing up.

I’m not trying in any way to stop slower players from enjoying the game, the more the merrier. But the reverse does not seem to be true in this thread. It’s almost as if a lot of players are saying:

“I play slower and I don’t think that those who want to play faster games should have the ability to do so.”

Why not? If you don’t like the Fast Response games, don’t join them. So why try to stop those who want faster game play.
Lieutenant PapaGeek

Postby crispybits on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:33 pm

I like the theory behind the idea, but I think it can be solved in a different way.

Currently, round times for games are 24 hours, 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute.

Why not have another couple of options in that vast chasm of a gap between 24 hours and 5 minutes? Say 12 hours and 8 hours? Doesn't hurt the business side because they would still count as "speed games" and only be available to premiums, lets people who don't want to wait for days for a turn and don't want to join a lot of games just to get plenty of action join games where they will most likely get a turn within 24 hours each time even in larger games, and leaves enough time for sleep (which is why I havent suggested 4 hours) or work.

No publicising player timings, no stigma attached to playing slowly (remember people still get the "slow" tag in ratings so there are still ways to spot them), everyone gets the kind of games they want, and CC still gets premium fees. Win win no?

Edit - never mind just read the next post down and the one in the "might be implemented" board.... :oops:
Major crispybits

Postby darth emperor on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Is not that we are trying to stop people who wants faster games... you didn't get the problem of your idea

PapaGeek wrote:I totally realize that different players have different styles of play.

This is true, but this is not what we are saying. What we are saying is that " One player has different styles of play" depending on the settings, therefore even if is of 1000000 games you won't get an accurate number, neither an approximate number, and therefore is making it totally useless.

PapaGeek wrote:Only a player with an Average Response Time of 4 hours or less can start a “Fast Response” game. You can’t join a Fast Response game unless your average response time is 8 hours or less. Both numbers are up for debate and shouldn’t be determined until after we gather the stats for a while.

This idea, won't get accepted, because of the same reasons, they aren't accepting games with rank limit, well this case would be worst as the number is completly unaccurate

PapaGeek wrote:You still have the ability to take 24 hours in a Fast Response game, no penalty, but it does lower you average time and you might not be able to join another Fast Response game until you speed thing up.

This could only work if you have a Fast response game, for every combination setting+map

PapaGeek wrote:It’s almost as if a lot of players are saying:

“I play slower and I don’t think that those who want to play faster games should have the ability to do so.”

Again, they are not saying that, for example in my post I said few ways you can have speeder games. The best way to get faster games is the suggestion that crispybits says altough is already suggested and accepted, the question is when will be implemented

Postby PapaGeek on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for your response crispybits, but the 12 hour game scares me. I personally play first thing in the morning, at lunch at work, when I get home, and again before bedtime. Let’s say that is 7 AM, 12 noon, 5 pm, and 11 pm.

If I happen to oversleep one day, I’d have no time for my morning checks. By the time lunch rolls around at work, it has been 13 hours. Playing 4 times a day, my average response is probably in the 3 to 4 hour range, but there can easily be a 13 hours response from time to time.

That is why I wanted a rating system. Many of the players take their time, or only play once a day. And that is fine, I’m just looking fr a way that more active players can play games with other more active players.
Lieutenant PapaGeek

Postby agentcom on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 pm

I know this has been suggested before although it might have been something to do with Tools and Enhancements. Pretty sure it was here, though. I like the idea. I think it sounds like a pretty easy stat to keep and useful to many. If I'm shopping around for 1v1 players, I might want to see this information--especially if I'm a freemium.

"But it's an inaccurate gauge of yada-yada" - So is win percentage in its current implementation

"Players shouldn't feel expected to take turns quickly" - I doubt many will change their style of play because this is being tracked. It doesn't have the negative stigma associated with it that, say, low rankings do. Plus, I think most players and certainly most freemium players won't really care about this. I personally, don't care if someone takes every turn right at the 24 hour mark. I have other games to fill my time.

"We should just have different round lengths" - While I support the idea generally for more options, that doesn't necessarily fix this problem. The way I see it, this problem is for the vast majority of games where people want a 24 hour turn limit, but would prefer that turns are taken quickly.

"It would punish people outside the U.S." - I have a lot of trouble wrapping my mind around this. I am setting aside that I don't see a high turn-taking time stat as a punishment. It does seems like a higher turn taking time is the obvious result of this suggestion at first, but there are some many different schedules that people keep across the globe that I don't think where you're from will be the major determinant of this stat. More likely, this will be determined by (1) how often you log on to clear your games and (2) how long you sit on games before you take your turn. That is it will be determined by how people play not where they're from--just like it's supposed to. Player 1 might log on 17 times a day, but most of the time comment on games and not take turns. My response time would be nearly 24 hours. Player 2 might log in once a day and clear all turns leading to a response time of about 12 hours. Player 3 could log in 24 times a day and clear my turns leading to a response time of about .5 hours. If that statistic is important to people, they can avoid P1, seek out P3 and decide if they want to play with P2.
Colonel agentcom

Postby darth emperor on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:18 am

agentcom wrote:I"But it's an inaccurate gauge of yada-yada" - So is win percentage in its current implementation

So we can have a lot of incorrect numbers because we have one incorrect? It should be the other way around, let's correct this number and don't let another wrong numbers get in place. Futhermore, they has been some good suggestion on how to correct the win percentage (including its elimination) the only thing left is that CC chooses one

agentcom wrote:"Players shouldn't feel expected to take turns quickly" - I doubt many will change their style of play because this is being tracked. It doesn't have the negative stigma associated with it that, say, low rankings do. Plus, I think most players and certainly most freemium players won't really care about this. I personally, don't care if someone takes every turn right at the 24 hour mark. I have other games to fill my time.

If most people don't care, then why to put it?
And while in theory, this shouldn't have a negative stigma, what the OP is saying is to make limits on who should enter in the games based on their ART. Of course it will be create negative stigma

agentcom wrote:"We should just have different round lengths" - While I support the idea generally for more options, that doesn't necessarily fix this problem. The way I see it, this problem is for the vast majority of games where people want a 24 hour turn limit, but would prefer that turns are taken quickly.

I get your idea of this, but is like you are saying: Everyone should play as fast as possible, but I want to take my turns after 24 hours... that's like the old RT (real times)where people should play their games in 5 minutes, but they have the 24hours if they want to leave, leaving everyone hanging

Postby greenoaks on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:41 am

this penalises me as i am in australia.

when i go to bed the usa is just getting into the swing of things so they take their turns. that round they all have fast response times, my turn comes back round and the gamegrinds to a halt as i am asleep.

when i'm taking my turns the usa is asleep. i'm the only one logged on in the game so 1 person from the usa gets a slow time from the game that round. once he has taken his turn everyone else takes theirs and it is back to me.

i can spend 4 hours online to take turns but as hardly anyone else is on i rarely get a repeat turn that day. that is not the case for americans/canadians/mexicans.

every game the guy in australia gets a slow time most rounds, whereas most usa players will get fast times.

IF YOU WANT TURNS TO TAKE BUY PREMIUM AND JOIN AS MANY GAMES AS YOU LIKE.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:49 pm

greenoaks wrote:this penalises me as i am in australia.

when i go to bed the usa is just getting into the swing of things so they take their turns. that round they all have fast response times, my turn comes back round and the gamegrinds to a halt as i am asleep.

when i'm taking my turns the usa is asleep. i'm the only one logged on in the game so 1 person from the usa gets a slow time from the game that round. once he has taken his turn everyone else takes theirs and it is back to me.

i can spend 4 hours online to take turns but as hardly anyone else is on i rarely get a repeat turn that day. that is not the case for americans/canadians/mexicans.

every game the guy in australia gets a slow time most rounds, whereas most usa players will get fast times.

IF YOU WANT TURNS TO TAKE BUY PREMIUM AND JOIN AS MANY GAMES AS YOU LIKE.

Good example
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby PapaGeek on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 pm

I disagree that this is a good example. I play at night before I hit the bed (11PM), again in the morning (7 AM), during my lunch break at work, (12 noon), and when I get home (5 PM).

My time between moves it 8 hours, 5 hours, 5 hours, and 6 hours.

If you play multiple times a day your longest time between move should be no more that 10 to 12 hours, and it does not matter what country you live in.

What I want to track here is the difference between those who do play multiple times a day and those who play just once a day.

I’ve gathered the logs / stats from a number of really show games and there is usually one or two players who average well over 12 hours per move.

If you play twice a day, your average should be close to 6 hours. Sometimes you move right after someone else, other times they move right after you logged off and it will be 12 hours before your turn. And it does not matter how your clock is adjusted to GMT. Those who play multiple times a day will have lower numbers than those who play just once!
Lieutenant PapaGeek

Postby agentcom on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Papageek, you are exactly correct.
Colonel agentcom

Re: Place an "Average Wait Time" on each persons wall[Poll]

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:05 am

Who put the poll on this?
A Mod?
Sergeant 1st Class Crazy Frog

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:08 am

The Poll was taken and ended... I never even saw it...

Postby lord voldemort on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 am

This is pointless. Hell you could just boost your turn times in a month of speed play so that your turn time is good and then the problem is solved. Useless waste of time
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 am

I wonder how long before some of the suggestions get worked on... I am sure there is a very long line of them...

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am

Crazy Frog wrote:I wonder how long before some of the suggestions get worked on... I am sure there is a very long line of them...

Going on five years now for at least one fairly easy one that had massive community support and that's actually more of a bug to fix than anything else.

Hope you're not in a rush.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Voldemart, I don't think that speed games would be included in the number if I'm not mistaken, or at least they shouldn't be.
I like the idea, sort of. It does seem maybe a little bit of an infringement of privacy. Maybe instead of an actual number, those people who consistently took their turns quickly could have a star on their profile that meant "star turn taker". Sort of like an ebay power seller? That way, if you joined a game with this person you could rest assured that he/she most likely won't deadbeat or take a full day to turn.
Another problem I see is that even people who are slow turners will want to join these games since everyone wants to take their turn when most convenient. Now there is one slow turner in a game who will hold up the works. Maybe we should just kill them?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 pm

"... maybe we should just kill them...~ Hmmm Yes that would do the trick... :-)

Postby darth emperor on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:14 am

I'm against this suggestion, as I find this info very useless. Is a good idea if people took the turns in order, but it's not like that. That's why we have the skip option.

For more info:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172707 (altough this one add, a filter to join games depending on your average wait time)

PreMove Time... helps avoid the deadbeats

Postby Doobie Keebler on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:21 pm

When I look for a game to join there are a few things I look for:
One is the percentage of turns completed.. (Attendance) Missed turns can ruin a well-played, competitive game, most notably when its your partner.
But alone, this stat really doesn't tell us all that much about a player you don't know. An Additional number would give far more practical info.
PreMove is 24 hrs. minus the time remaining on the countdown clock when "Begin Turn" button is clicked, Averaged. (Singles ONLY)
or - said another way - On average, how long does it take a player to begin his/her turn once it becomes his/her turn.
A player with a 97% Attendance and a PreMove time of 9:43:12 probably plays twice a day and misses now and then. - Reliable when he comes to work!
A player with a 96% Attendance and a PreMove time of 17:01:09 - this guy checks-in once a day at the most. If it's not his turn he might miss tomorrow.
A player with a 99% or 100% Attendance and a PreMove of 4:12:58 is my partner!

Concise description:
During a game it can help determine roughly how long you should expect to wait for your turn.
In conjunction with the Attendance Percentage gives solid, practical information about other players when choosing a game to join.
Specifics/Details:
Add an additional stat on a player’s profile (along with Attendance) that shows the player’s “PreMove” time.
(24 hrs. minus the time remaining on the countdown clock when "Begin Turn" button is clicked, Averaged).
This can only be calculated during single games for obvious reasons precluding it from other formats but with that understanding would still serve as a useful stat.
How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
This would lift the players’ overall experience as they could better avoid the deadbeat or very slow players.
Some players may very well be more conscientious about their own numbers if they start looking “Slow”.
Games including players with better PreMove times will fill faster. Ultimately, more games will be played!
And, did I mention: No More DaedBeat Partners!
Private 1st Class Doobie Keebler

Re: PreMove Time... helps avoid the deadbeats

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:39 pm

I'll be your partner doobie.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby greenoaks on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 pm

PapaGeek wrote:I disagree that this is a good example. I play at night before I hit the bed (11PM), again in the morning (7 AM), during my lunch break at work, (12 noon), and when I get home (5 PM).

My time between moves it 8 hours, 5 hours, 5 hours, and 6 hours.

If you play multiple times a day your longest time between move should be no more that 10 to 12 hours, and it does not matter what country you live in.

What I want to track here is the difference between those who do play multiple times a day and those who play just once a day.

I’ve gathered the logs / stats from a number of really show games and there is usually one or two players who average well over 12 hours per move.

If you play twice a day, your average should be close to 6 hours. Sometimes you move right after someone else, other times they move right after you logged off and it will be 12 hours before your turn. And it does not matter how your clock is adjusted to GMT. Those who play multiple times a day will have lower numbers than those who play just once!

but those of us in rare timezones do not have turns available.

i log in at 5pm, take my turns, log in at 6 only 3 games, log in at 7 only 3 games, log in at 8 only 3 games.

i have logged in many times but as most players are in north america very few turns are available
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: PreMove Time... helps avoid the deadbeats

Postby greenoaks on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:27 pm

this has been suggested and rejected
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: Show "Player Average Turn Length" when joining 24 hour g

Postby greenoaks on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:44 am

if this going to be merged into this

Place an average wait time on each persons wall
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions