Moderator: Community Team

Integrate BOB into the site and charge for its use

Postby greenoaks on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Integrate BOB into the site and charge for its use

Concise description:
  • BOB seems to be a worthy add-on but its development could be done inhouse

Specifics/Details:
  • CC could charge a small fee (say 50 cents or $1 per month) for its use
  • The fee would be added to your yearly membership or purchased as a standalone product (freemiums ;) )

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Increase revenue
  • Updates are sync'd with BOB in a timely fashion
  • It could pave the way for other add-ons (Watch This Game, Tournament Stats) to be integrated and used for a small monthly fee
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: Integrate BOB into the site and charge for its use

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:28 am

Why would anyone pay for it when it can come for free? But I do like the idea of it being a premium only option. A lot of the add ons you said should be premium only.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Wed May 01, 2013 1:02 am

koontz1973 wrote:Why would anyone pay for it when it can come for free? But I do like the idea of it being a premium only option. A lot of the add ons you said should be premium only.

it would work perfectly whenever an update is made. no running around to find whoever is now responsible for it & hoping they've got time to work on it.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 am

Sorry to say while in principle this is a good idea, in reality it sucks. The best made scripts or add-ons come from users who have the time and care enough to do it. It takes CC years sometime to catch up, such as clickable maps.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby anonymus on Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 am

Bruceswar wrote:Sorry to say while in principle this is a good idea, in reality it sucks. The best made scripts or add-ons come from users who have the time and care enough to do it. It takes CC years sometime to catch up, such as clickable maps.

as much as i hate agreeing with bruce ( ;) ) i do.. userscripts are way faster to update and work out bugs than CC ever where.. although it should probably be implemented in the site when they can find the time to do it,,

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Cook anonymus

Postby SirSebstar on Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 am

freeware is the way to go. If i were forced to pay for something someone else made out of love for something i would turn away.
I donate to CC, but its not mandatory to have a premiumship here. If it were, i would not pay.
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed May 01, 2013 7:45 am

1. CC having control over BOB would not guarantee it will work perfectly. They did the medals by themselves and it still isn't fully fixed yet.
2. It is a Firefox script, so if you have 1 friend who bought the addon, he could simply copy and paste the code and you can save it on your computer without having to pay for it
3. Keep it free! Free is better! We already pay $25 a year, I think that's a fair price. Especially since I have been sucked into the Conquer Cup every time it runs
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby spiesr on Wed May 01, 2013 11:30 am

MoB Deadly wrote:2. It is a Firefox script, so if you have 1 friend who bought the addon, he could simply copy and paste the code and you can save it on your computer without having to pay for it
This suggestion would be to make it part of the site itself, and you would presumably pay to turn the features on or something, not to download a script.
Anyhow, incorporating features of popular scripts in is the developers To-Do list, though it will likely be a long time before everything is done. I don't see any of those features being charged for individually, premium only maybe.

What user script features would you like to see added first?
Captain spiesr

Postby SirSebstar on Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 pm

bob, maprank, clanrank and a way to quickly communicate in that order
and a feature to babysit and monitor games of friends or clanmates
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Crazyirishman on Wed May 01, 2013 4:20 pm

I don't think this would work. It took years to get clickies implemented into the site and they suck, so i still use the add-on. If they did this with BOB,the quality of bob on the site would likely be worse than what it is in the script. Also it seems kinda lame to piggy back off of somebody else's time and effort to make a quick buck.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby betiko on Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm

I cannot believe some guy works full time for updates. 2 month and counting to implement correctly the medals... Hopefully those add ons are done/updated by reactive people.
Major betiko

Postby judge_reinhold on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Maybe conquer club should also start charging, say, 10 cents every time you make an attack.

They could also charge 5 cents for every reinforcement. That would make people think twice before abusing unlimited reinforcements.

Maybe they could charge people extra for using the large maps option, vs the small maps, too.

Anyone who subjects themselves to live chat should get a 10 cent/minute credit.

But private messaging should definitely cost money.

This is a great idea to start making this site really fun: charge extra for functionality that any normal person would expect to be built in.
Colonel judge_reinhold

Postby rishaed on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Yeah.....no. Its one of the fastest ways to lose players here. I love BOB now that i've used it, and you're saying that I should pay for something someone else made for free? I'm pretty sure that A. that's illegal under the licensing at least for the freeware I've used. B. Its not your product, its stealing someone elses product and then changing its name and charging for what is free. C. Do I need a third reason?
No. You will lose people so fast if this goes anywhere, which I would be surprised if it does.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:51 am

rishaed wrote:B. Its not your product, its stealing someone elses product and then changing its name and charging for what is free.

I seem to recall that the prime business strategy of Conquer Club is stealing RISK (someone else's product) and then changing its name and charging for what is (pretty much) free.

I agree with you though that this would be a poor way to show support for those who make enhancements.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Qwert on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:02 am

judge_reinhold wrote:Maybe conquer club should also start charging, say, 10 cents every time you make an attack.

They could also charge 5 cents for every reinforcement. That would make people think twice before abusing unlimited reinforcements.

Maybe they could charge people extra for using the large maps option, vs the small maps, too.

Anyone who subjects themselves to live chat should get a 10 cent/minute credit.

But private messaging should definitely cost money.

This is a great idea to start making this site really fun: charge extra for functionality that any normal person would expect to be built in.

How abouth charge 10 cent for each played game,, and this will go to map maker who create this map?

Anyhow withouth so many voluntaires (people who work for zero $) i could see that this site could colapse, because people who are pay, are not realy to much interest to work hard. This its what i dont understand, because i though that person who are pay, will work double and more effective then all voluntaires here.
-Map Makers, script developers are voluntaires ( i dont know if other mods are voluntaires to) and they make great work, and withouth hes work, this site will not exist at all.
So someone who create BOB, will need to give this for free, and then El Jefe to make money, and some who create this to get nothing???
El jefe need to kick in ass those developers,and hire voluntaires , to make things implemented faster and efective.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:04 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
rishaed wrote:B. Its not your product, its stealing someone elses product and then changing its name and charging for what is free.

I seem to recall that the prime business strategy of Conquer Club is stealing RISK (someone else's product) and then changing its name and charging for what is (pretty much) free.

I agree with you though that this would be a poor way to show support for those who make enhancements.

Im not still anything from Risk.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby notyou2 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:59 am

The developer of BOB would have to agree as to me it is his/her intellectual property.
Captain notyou2

Postby rishaed on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:31 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:

However, the only map (classic) is used, and has been changed due to copyrite issues (resulting in shapes, and art i think.) We use the idea, however we don't steal the maps, we create our own (and they are the property of the respective creators), thus we are not stealing. In terms we are the Malt-o-Meal of risk.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Postby rishaed on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:26 am

Copyright © 2006 by Bismia Pte Ltd.
RISK is a registered trademark of Hasbro Inc. Conquer Club is not associated with RISK or Hasbro in any way.
at the bottom of every page.......

Postby agentcom on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:38 am

No.

The site SHOULD NOT charge money for anything that gives a competitive advantage. That's ridiculous. Charge for bonus features like different map sets, different gameplay, whatever, but if this site ever started charging for BOB (or better dice or more points) I would leave in a second. Go play Farmville if you want a game that you can purchase success (that's still a thing, right?).

Regardless of the other valid concerns that have been mentioned, this consideration warrants this suggestion being moved immediately to rejected, IMO.
Colonel agentcom

Postby BoganGod on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:21 am

Bruceswar wrote:Sorry to say while in principle this is a good idea, in reality it sucks. The best made scripts or add-ons come from users who have the time and care enough to do it. It takes CC years sometime to catch up, such as clickable maps.

As much as disagreeing with bruce is my natural reaction. In this case the ho with the fro has it right. CC does take years to catch up.

Would it be possible to meet half way / have a compromise. Maybe get the site admin/web masters/programmers etc to take useful add ons into consideration when making site changes. The recent aggravated, permanent, and *mod edit* of MAPRANK is an example of bad implementation by unthinking/uncaring folk.

Think more options/add ons/functionality should be included in premium. Think that you break it you fix approach should be taken for add ons. Sadly by thoughts/wishes and reality are poles apart. Otherwise I wouldn't be on CC right now, would be in bed with george michael, madonna, a joan rivers impersonator, and a monkey wearing onesie.
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:59 am

The problem with additional charges for CC-provided addons is that consumers get really annoyed about them--especially when the add-on was free. One way to avoid this is by price bundling--e.g. simply raise the rate from $25 to $25.50 or so. Although an additional increase in price would drive some consumers away, would the greater revenue offset that cost? No one really knows, so it's probably best to avoid changing the price.

(One way to somewhat solve this puzzle is to look at the changes in prices of CC's competitors and compare that with the changes in their total consumers. From this data, you may be able to derive some kind of marginal revenue curve).

Of course, CC could argue that given inflation since 2006, the price should be $28.96--according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' calculator. Maybe you could get your price increase by that marketing tactic (of course, the secret is out with this post). :P

Here's a method for incentivizing the creation of better addons, incorporating them into CC, avoiding the ire of consumers, and possibly earn a greater profit:

1. Implement many new features which inadvertently disrupt the functionality of 3rd-party addons.
2. Over time, the 3rd-party addons become increasingly dysfunctional, and the volunteer coders will become less capable of fixing the addons fast enough. Therefore, at some point, 3rd-party substitutes will cease to effectively exist, thus 3rd-party competition will have been removed.
3. At this point, CC can monopolize the addons come to the rescue by incorporating them into its code/website by offering money prizes for making the next CC-BOB or pay people directly for their services.
5. CC gets the addons; the consumers reap the benefits; and [insert Inflation argument] CC raises the membership price.
6. ??????
7. PROFIT

(of course, if this plan is implemented, and if anyone will have read this post, then they'll probably get annoyed).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby greenoaks on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:52 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:Here's a method for incentivizing the creation of better addons, incorporating them into CC, avoiding the ire of consumers, and possibly earn a greater profit:

1. Implement many new features which inadvertently disrupt the functionality of 3rd-party addons.
2. Over time, the 3rd-party addons become increasingly dysfunctional, and the volunteer coders will become less capable of fixing the addons fast enough. Therefore, at some point, 3rd-party substitutes will cease to effectively exist, thus 3rd-party competition will have been removed.
3. At this point, CC can monopolize the addons come to the rescue by incorporating them into its code/website by offering money prizes for making the next CC-BOB or pay people directly for their services.
5. CC gets the addons; the consumers reap the benefits; and [insert Inflation argument] CC raises the membership price.
6. ??????
7. PROFIT

(of course, if this plan is implemented, and if anyone will have read this post, then they'll probably get annoyed).

do you really think if it was that easy it might have been tried already :?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 am

I'm mostly being cynical and joking, but there's some truth to it. Anyway, which part is easy? That doesn't look easy to me.

Only recently has #1 been carried out to such a large degree, and it seems #2 is coming into fruition. #3 has been kicked around for years, but as #1 and #2 build up, then I'd expect #3 to happen. #4 is a possible consequence, which I view as likely--especially if CC hits the 18,000 player mark or possibly more.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby degaston on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:47 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:...
6. ??????
7. PROFIT

You forgot:
5.1 Collect underpants
universalchiro wrote:@degaston: whatever dude you win, you have it all figured out. You have out smarted even God.
Brigadier degaston

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions