Conquer Club

TO Mass Game Creating Engine

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: TO Mass Game Creating Engine

Postby patrickaa317 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Some discussion that was going on in a different place:

patrickaa317 wrote:I personally think adding some enhancements to allow community TO's would keep this community of players more involved.

I have ran a fair amount of tourneys in the past, the majority being more than a single elimination 8 team bracket but I probably won't be running many more if any in the future just because it's such a manual process with little satisfaction upon completion. I would be all about organizing tournaments if we could get something like this in place: viewtopic.php?f=704&t=195813

Being the data geek that I am, I recognize how easily it would be to have a spreadsheet with all the data columns automatically created, then just import a CSV or XML file into a game creation engine to spit out a giant batch of games. Of course this would have to be limited to those who are proven able to use such a tool but I think this would be a HUGE benefit to the community as there would be a whole new set of tournament styles created. I would even volunteer myself to be a main point of contact for reviewing each file before it is imported and games created to ensure it was what the TO was expecting and follow proper formatting.

Metsfanmax wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
I'm all for many of the changes described above (especially patrick's spreadsheet idea, which exists in the Suggestions Forum as well)

Can we get this removed from the Rejected bin then O:)

(also, in fairness, it was originally Robes idea but I am a huge proponent of it and it can be noted that I will take full ownership of review and importing of datasheets if this is agreed to be implemented. That is how big of a fan I would be of it.)

Well, I got overruled by blake, who argued that it wouldn't be worth the time to implement this. You'll have to convince him ;)

blakebowling wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
I'm all for many of the changes described above (especially patrick's spreadsheet idea, which exists in the Suggestions Forum as well)

(also, in fairness, it was originally Robes idea but I am a huge proponent of it and it can be noted that I will take full ownership of review and importing of datasheets if this is agreed to be implemented. That is how big of a fan I would be of it.)

The suggestion (if it is the one I think it is) needs to be much more clear before I'm able to properly consider implementing it.

Exactly what things should you be able to define with such a spreadsheet? How will you define them? How will the system handle things it doesn't understand?

sempaispellcheck wrote:
blakebowling wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

The suggestion (if it is the one I think it is) needs to be much more clear before I'm able to properly consider implementing it.

Exactly what things should you be able to define with such a spreadsheet? How will you define them? How will the system handle things it doesn't understand?

The settings you can specify in Start a Game - game settings, labels, passwords, and players.
The same way the api defines them.
It can trigger error messages and not create the games - or we can have someone (a bunch of someones, if need be) review the files before they're submitted - patrick has already volunteered, and I would certainly be willing to help.

sempai

patrickaa317 wrote:
blakebowling wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

System should reject the file completely for anything incomplete or improper format. I would expect all parameters to be defined within the file.

Everything needed for game creation would be in the CSV or XML file. I've attached a CSV as that is easier for average people to understand so I'd assume that would be your preferred approach, though I personally think XML would be much more powerful and cleaner. I could even build an app for verification of the XML using XLinq (more to come on that as I'm just getting my hands wet on that skill set :))

I can't seem to get an attachment in my reply but here's a pasted in example, copy and paste it to a notepad file then open it in excel. It's looks ugly when pasted in as text so don't let this first impression sway you.

Code: Select all
Headline,Number of Players,Type,Initial Troops,Play Order,Spoils,Forts,View,Trench,Round Limit,Round Length,Map,tournament,Game label,password,Player 1,Player 2,Player 3,Player 4,Player 5,Player 6,Player 7,Player 8,Player 9,Player 10,Player 11,Player 12
Valid entries:,2,S (Standard),A (Automatic),S (Sequential),E (Escalating),C (Chained),F (Foggy),N (No Trench),0 (None),24 (24 hours),exact name,tournament name,freeform,freeform,,,,,,,,,,,,
,3,E (Terminator),M (Manual),F (Freestyle),F (Flat),A (Adjacent),S (Sunny),T (Trench),20 (20 rounds),5 (5 minutes),or map_id if exists,or tourney_id if exists,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,4,A (Assassin),,,N (Nuclear),U (Unlimited),,,30 (30 rounds),4 (4 minutes),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,5,2 (Polymorphic 2 slots),,,Z (Zombies),P (Parachute),,,50 (50 rounds),3 (3 minutes),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,6,3 (Polymorphic 3 slots),,,0 (None),N (None),,,100 (100 rounds),2 (2 minutes),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,7,4 (Polymorphic 4 slots),,,,,,,,1 (1 minute),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,8,D (Doubles),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,9,T (Triples),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,10,Q (Quadruples),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code: Select all
Game example (13835171)
2,3,A,S,E,C,S,N,0,24,Bamboo Jack,Serbia's NFL 2013 Poly Trip,Kansas City vs NY Giants,password1,JoJo123,patrickaa317,,,,,,,,,,

patrickaa317 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:This conversation can easily get out of hand and we might want to move it back to the TO game creating engine thread. But generally, I support the use of a CSV file (which can be easily programmed or built from an office spreadsheet software) with strict parameters for each game, with one game per row.

completely agreed. And I think the one game per row is mandatory. And I know I can create some Excel files with appropriate logic that I can share with a team of volunteers to verify all current checks done in the UI upon game creation. (i.e. Poly is sequential and 2 player only; Assassin needs to be 3 players or more, Age of Realms is only ok with 6 players or less, etc, etc).
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Re: TO Mass Game Creating Engine

Postby JamesKer1 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Funny how the times change.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions