Conquer Club

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby universalchiro on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Concise description:
  • Post players age on visible profile

Specifics/Details:
  • require accurate/truthful age be displayed. If its a minor, just say minor and not age.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • When asking players if they want to partner up in a team game and they say sure, one would like to know they are 11 years old before committing to a game. When people are discussing topics in a forum, one would like to know not to work too hard getting an adult concept to be understood by a an adolescent minor. It might add perspective to where someone is coming from when they post their thoughts.
Last edited by universalchiro on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Age

Postby spiesr on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:46 pm

universalchiro wrote:
The profile already contains a slot for age.
universalchiro wrote:
  • require accurate/truthful age be displayed
How do you propose doing this?
Captain spiesr

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

This is not acceptable. It's a serious violation of a user's privacy to require them to post personal information on their profile. If they wish to remain completely anonymous, that is their right. Additionally, there are likely COPPA implications of requiring people under 13 to give their age.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:48 pm

universalchiro wrote:Concise description:

Specifics/Details:
  • require accurate/truthful age be displayed

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • When asking players if they want to partner up in a team game and they say sure, I would like to know they are 11 years old before committing to a game. When people are discussing topics in Off topic forum, I would like to know not to work too hard getting an adult concept to be understood by a minor. Its not enjoyable to be told what to do in a game by an eleven year old.

not sure if you're trolling or you're actually serious, but i'll bite.

first of all there's no way of actually obtaining accurate age for all members on the site. this alone is enough for your suggestion to be labeled as rejected and archived.

however what concerns me is the fact that you seem to think age has something to do with the ability to play risk or that you'd change your attitude towards another user based solely on his/her age.

i've seen plenty of (pre)teens that are far better at risk than older people. also i've seen 30 year olds acting like idiots because they were true idiots but also because they were using this site to have fun and being an idiot was their idea of fun.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby universalchiro on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Sure sure there are exceptions to any average. Some teens are brilliant and some 40yr olds are idiots.

Having a minor button may be nice to block a youth from being in OT and reading some of the vulgar posts. On the flip side, if an older person reads a comment from a wayward youth with hormones abounding out of control, that older person would be able to discount the comments to youthfulness.

If this can't be achieved then maybe an option of not being able to accept games with someone who doesn't post their age. Then players get to be secret & adults won't be teammed up with an 8 year old .
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby TeeGee on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:46 pm

It is up to a minors parents to monitor there interactions on the internet, it is not our position to police it. If a parent has an objection to what there child has been reading in OT then I say it is bad parenting for allowing the child access to something they have a moral objection to.
The same can be said for game chat.. nobody is forced to read it or follow the suggestions of a team mate or others. If you are worried about who will team up with you, make the game private, advertise it in call outs or chat and screen who can join your games.
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby universalchiro on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Good points.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jltile1 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 pm

I think the sex is more important. I'm easier with females, and he she's those are great I give them all sixes!
Major jltile1

Postby macbone on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:54 am

I can't think of many sites that actually require one's age to be displayed. Maybe dating sites?

I remember the last time I sat down to play chess with an 8-year-old. I made a couple of moves, and then he looked at me and said, "Oh, you've played before, huh?" He proceeded to dismantle me. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby blakebowling on Tue May 27, 2014 12:38 pm

This suggestion is simply not feasible, as we have no way to verify any information that users give us.
Private blakebowling

Return to Archived Suggestions