Conquer Club

deleting accounts

Suggestions that have not stood up to community review.

deleting accounts

Postby 4*general on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:47 pm

It should be possible to delete my account and never be associated with this site again
Captain 4*general

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: deleting accounts

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm

I agree in principle, but in practice this is really messy because of the way the forum accounts are linked to the games. How would we handle the storage of archived games where one of the accounts was deleted?
Lieutenant Metsfanmax

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I agree in principle, but in practice this is really messy because of the way the forum accounts are linked to the games. How would we handle the storage of archived games where one of the accounts was deleted?

I've thought about this, and I think there is a solution. Each user already has a unique user ID number. The way I would handle it would be to replace their username with "#x" where x is their ID number. The # would be a prohibited character in creating usernames, and would thus be reserved for this use only.

When a username was deleted, any games etc. that required accessing their data would be accessible through the number, while all their other information would be deleted. This would both address their privacy concerns, and it would recycle their username so cool names like Ghenghis Khan or Attila would become available to new users when old users with them would vanish.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
Colonel Dukasaur
Entertainment Coordinator

Medals: 162
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (44)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby perchorin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm

On the other hand, who's going to be combing through the archives, come across someone named 4*general and say "Hey! I know that guy! I can't believe he was ever associated with this site! I'm going to use this information to shame him somehow!"
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Medals: 123
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm

perchorin wrote:On the other hand, who's going to be combing through the archives, come across someone named 4*general and say "Hey! I know that guy! I can't believe he was ever associated with this site! I'm going to use this information to shame him somehow!"

Depends on whether he runs for public office.
Lieutenant Metsfanmax

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
perchorin wrote:On the other hand, who's going to be combing through the archives, come across someone named 4*general and say "Hey! I know that guy! I can't believe he was ever associated with this site! I'm going to use this information to shame him somehow!"

Depends on whether he runs for public office.

Yeah, I suspect he was probably some malcontent pissed off about something or other, and just wanted to quit in a dramatic fashion.

What concerns me more is that over time, the more popular usernames will all get taken, and it will be harder and harder for now members to get a name they like. That is an acceptable cost if the names are actually being used, but when something like Zulu or Dragonslayer remain locked up forever, because someone ten years ago used them for 8 games, that is a waste.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
Colonel Dukasaur

Medals: 162
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (44)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby betiko on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:55 am

How about making accounts dormant or something... The only reason i understand such request is because the user wants to restrain himself from comming back. Just make the account unaccessible and accessible again through etickets..
Colonel betiko

Medals: 160
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (12) Training Achievement (2)

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:11 pm

He got bad dice, so he's being dramatic. I looked at his games. :)

If someone has been actively using a name in the past, it really shouldn't go to someone else, but I do agree that if someone has logged in, played only the allowed 4 games and quit at that, then maybe their account name should be recycled after a couple of years with the name defaulted to their user ID number.

EDIT:
When it comes to account deletion on established accounts, I can understand 100% why that wouldn't happen. Say our friend here decided that he wanted to start over for some odd reason, he gets his account deleted, then comes back 2 months later on a new ID. Technically, he's not a multi because he deleted his old user, but wouldn't that be unfair to other players to be playing players of similar rank who were in fact much higher ranked in their past "life?"
Major Shannon Apple
Entertainment Contributor
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)
Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby blakebowling on Tue May 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:He got bad dice, so he's being dramatic. I looked at his games. :)

If someone has been actively using a name in the past, it really shouldn't go to someone else, but I do agree that if someone has logged in, played only the allowed 4 games and quit at that, then maybe their account name should be recycled after a couple of years with the name defaulted to their user ID number.

EDIT:
When it comes to account deletion on established accounts, I can understand 100% why that wouldn't happen. Say our friend here decided that he wanted to start over for some odd reason, he gets his account deleted, then comes back 2 months later on a new ID. Technically, he's not a multi because he deleted his old user, but wouldn't that be unfair to other players to be playing players of similar rank who were in fact much higher ranked in their past "life?"

This is part of the reason for the current policy.

Another part of our reasoning is that it would only cause more work for us (i.e. user deletes their account and wants to come back, etc) with no real outside effects (People who code things don't like to put in features that take away functionality).
Cook blakebowling
Administrator
Administrator

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Return to Rejected Suggestions