Conquer Club

Book talk.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Book talk.

Postby Skittles! on Sun May 17, 2009 5:38 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:Any one here ever read any "alternate history"??

The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Genghis Khant wrote:In that case, yes. I heartily recommend The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick. It follows an American Jew in post-WW2 USA, where the Japanese empire controls the west side and the third Reich controls the east, with a thin band of no man's land down the middle.

You beat me to it. =[

The alternative history of it is amazing - What Dick says the Reich had done till the late sixties is amazing, and I wouldn't of put it past them, if it were the real history.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 pm

:o Thanks for the help guys!!!!!
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 18, 2009 1:36 pm

Heinlein's Job has the hero tossed from one alternate world to another. Though the background is not always developed. it's an interesting book. And has a huge tip of the hat to James Branch Cabell's Jurgen.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby StiffMittens on Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Not really an alternative history, but Arthur Phillips' "The Egyptologist" is an excellent read. The books is written as a series of letters, journal entries, and newspaper articles. It tells the story of Ralph M. Trilipush's expedition to excavate a small portion of the Valley of the Kings and his personal rivalry with Howard Carter. Very funny.
Sergeant StiffMittens

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Of course, Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary gentlemen is alternate history. I'm just reading the latest installment, 1910 Century

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:I think that it is like that in all states. It's like that here too, but you won't believe this part,
The "big library" in my community was built for the city by a corrupt mayor who was removed from office. A library card costs $85 for 1 year (so they can pay for the multi-million dollar library). They accept library cards from other librarys in the area, BUT NOT TO REQUEST BOOKS FROM OTHER LIBRARYS. And they charge $1.50 per requested book. It's bullsh*t. I'm pretty disquested by the whole thing.
My local-local library is open Tuesday and Thursday from 9 to noon. I get off work at noon. It doesn't even make sense.

Holy crap that sucks. Libraries are supposed to be free. Sounds like there still may be some corruption in your city.

At least you can get some books. Supposedly, libraries in my state are supposed to offer free inter-library loan requests. Libraries are apparently allowed to set limits on numbers. In our area, its 1 a month. Not too unreasonable, given the size of our town. Strangely, though, a number of people have found that each and every book they request is "not available". There are 2 unifying factors. A. the head librarien does not like you or does not like the books you are ordering. OR B. You are not a huge donor OR perceived to be a potential huge donor.

In this case, "B" being the most critical factor. Folks who are large donors may order any books, for "educational research" (even beyond the stated limit, if necessary). Those who are not percieved to be in that category (based largely upon addresses and affiliations), often cannot get even "favorable" books. Also, whom the head librarien "likes" has a lot to do with who she thinks could be a big donor.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed May 20, 2009 10:29 am

Can't you disoc=ver what's available, and where it is, from a website before you make the request?

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed May 20, 2009 10:30 am

For my birthday, my brother sent me (via Amazon, 'cos we live in different continents) several novelisations of the World of Warcraft setting. They look like hack work to me, and I know nothing of the setting. Any opinions?

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Can't you disoc=ver what's available, and where it is, from a website before you make the request?

How?

Even if I go online and find that a book is available from "xyz library", then it might not be available (in truth) by the time my libraries' request reaches them. Also, who said anything about honesty? Or accountability.

I have complained to the board, but the answer I get is (essentially) "I never had a problem" (funny, that... I wonder why a library board member might not have their requests rejected ? :roll: ) or even "yes, its a problem, but what do you expect us to do about it, fire her?" (uh ... yeah!)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am

jonesthecurl wrote:For my birthday, my brother sent me (via Amazon, 'cos we live in different continents) several novelisations of the World of Warcraft setting. They look like hack work to me, and I know nothing of the setting. Any opinions?

Don't know. Could just be a cheap rendition.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:At least you can get some books. Supposedly, libraries in my state are supposed to offer free inter-library loan requests. Libraries are apparently allowed to set limits on numbers. In our area, its 1 a month. Not too unreasonable, given the size of our town. Strangely, though, a number of people have found that each and every book they request is "not available". There are 2 unifying factors. A. the head librarien does not like you or does not like the books you are ordering. OR B. You are not a huge donor OR perceived to be a potential huge donor.

As a resident of the same state, I think it has a lot more to do with laziness on behalf of the librarians than any of the sinister reasons you mention. Never underestimate the power of laziness. And never confuse laziness with evil.
Private 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 am

thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:At least you can get some books. Supposedly, libraries in my state are supposed to offer free inter-library loan requests. Libraries are apparently allowed to set limits on numbers. In our area, its 1 a month. Not too unreasonable, given the size of our town. Strangely, though, a number of people have found that each and every book they request is "not available". There are 2 unifying factors. A. the head librarien does not like you or does not like the books you are ordering. OR B. You are not a huge donor OR perceived to be a potential huge donor.

As a resident of the same state, I think it has a lot more to do with laziness on behalf of the librarians than any of the sinister reasons you mention. Never underestimate the power of laziness. And never confuse laziness with evil.

I would say that, except for too much consistency in reasons A and B.

Some people have no problem getting books....

But I am in no way suggesting this is a state-wide problem. Ironically, I am able to get some books at other nearby libraries, just not inter-library loans, since those have to originate from your "home" library.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Snorri1234 on Wed May 20, 2009 10:54 am

jonesthecurl wrote:For my birthday, my brother sent me (via Amazon, 'cos we live in different continents) several novelisations of the World of Warcraft setting. They look like hack work to me, and I know nothing of the setting. Any opinions?

If you're not into Warcraft or fantasy like that, it's not really any good.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 20, 2009 10:57 am

I never understood the obsession with War Craft. Admittedly, I played the game for all of one day. I loved StarCraft. But, I don't understand the online RPG, the books, etc. To me, it's a dumbed-down version of Lord of the Rings. And Lord of the Rings is a dumbed down version of The Song of Ice and Fire. (BLASPHEMY!!! BURN HIM!!!)
Private 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed May 20, 2009 2:13 pm

thegreekdog wrote:

But remember, for evil to triumph it is sufficient that the good are lazy.

Postby Skittles! on Wed May 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Some guy was reading WoW when I went to Europe - He stated that it's okay, but when I read the blurb, it didn't make much sense. So, if you don't play Wow, or no anything of WoW, I suggest you don't read them, and give them to your son. :)
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed May 20, 2009 5:26 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

But remember, for evil to triumph it is sufficient that the good are lazy.

Some of the board members are lazy .. or of the type that "dislikes making waves". The librarien... is fully convinced she is doing absolutely nothing wrong. And that is part of what makes her so very dangerous.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu May 21, 2009 1:41 am

thegreekdog wrote:

Is this the evil librarian you guys had trouble with??

High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Skittles! wrote:
neanderpaul14 wrote:Any one here ever read any "alternate history"??

The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Genghis Khant wrote:In that case, yes. I heartily recommend The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick. It follows an American Jew in post-WW2 USA, where the Japanese empire controls the west side and the third Reich controls the east, with a thin band of no man's land down the middle.

You beat me to it. =[

The alternative history of it is amazing - What Dick says the Reich had done till the late sixties is amazing, and I wouldn't of put it past them, if it were the real history.

Just checked it out from the library hoping it's good.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Iliad on Fri May 22, 2009 7:23 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I never understood the obsession with War Craft. Admittedly, I played the game for all of one day. I loved StarCraft. But, I don't understand the online RPG, the books, etc. To me, it's a dumbed-down version of Lord of the Rings. And Lord of the Rings is a dumbed down version of The Song of Ice and Fire. (BLASPHEMY!!! BURN HIM!!!)

:o :o

Considering I also love The song of Ice and Fire you may live.

Seriously the two are quiet different books.
Tolkien poured enormous time into the setting, where tSoIaF is much more character driven.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby gannable on Fri May 22, 2009 7:26 pm

count of monte cristo - best book i ever read
Lieutenant gannable

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri May 22, 2009 11:14 pm

on alternate history:

Years ago, I read Kingsley Amis's The Alteration. I enjoyed it hugely, though now I remember only two things: I felt nauseous when I realized the double-meaning of the title, and Harold Wilson appeared to be Pope.

Also. In the pile of books I got from the library sales, was Allen Steele's The Tranquility Alternative, where the Space Age begins in 1944 with the launch of Das Amerika Bomber, a sub-orbital manned spacecraft aimed at New York. Not very far into it yet, but as usual with Steele, it's damn well written.

Oh, and I add my vote to the "read Man in the High Castle" brigade. one of the best books of a great writer (who sometimes got just too weird)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun May 24, 2009 7:08 pm

I like Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. They're a bit old, but you gotta love a society that uses swords because anything that allows you to kill without putting yourself in equal danger is anathema.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 24, 2009 7:22 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:I like Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. They're a bit old, but you gotta love a society that uses swords because anything that allows you to kill without putting yourself in equal danger is anathema.

I've not read it myself (have it, but haven't gotten to it), but I've heard from a lot of folks that they really enjoy it.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Lord and Master on Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:Is this the evil librarian you guys had trouble with??

That's her! Fucking bitch, the things she made me do to get my card stamped...
Lieutenant Lord and Master

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,