Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:02 am

Gillipig wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I got a free Steam Key for a game I have no interest in. If you want it, let me know. Here is the game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/91200/

--Andy

It's probably because they recognize a game addict when they see one, I haven't recieved any free games from steam and take that as a good sign. :)

I didn't get it from a Steam. It came with a purchase from a game-deal website though. I wish I had enough time be a game addict. I only get to play on the weekends now usually.

--Andy

Oh that's right, you only buy the games, but then you don't play them, just stack them in a pile of virtual entertainment that you've payed for but never get around to enjoying. Wouldn't it be better to just not buy new games if you don't have the time to play them?

Marginalism, Gillipig. Marginalism. Andy's choice isn't "all time for no playing" or "all time for play." It's "play on the weekends" plus "no-play for the rest of the week."

Also, Andy is an entrepreneur--in that he examines the currently discounted prices of games and projects their future prices to imagine potentially obtainable profit. If he gathers a surplus of games beyond his gaming consumption rate, he may have to consider allocating less money to discounted games and more money to more profitable investments.

You silly, silly, tosser!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Gillipig on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:22 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I got a free Steam Key for a game I have no interest in. If you want it, let me know. Here is the game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/91200/

--Andy

It's probably because they recognize a game addict when they see one, I haven't recieved any free games from steam and take that as a good sign. :)

I didn't get it from a Steam. It came with a purchase from a game-deal website though. I wish I had enough time be a game addict. I only get to play on the weekends now usually.

--Andy

Oh that's right, you only buy the games, but then you don't play them, just stack them in a pile of virtual entertainment that you've payed for but never get around to enjoying. Wouldn't it be better to just not buy new games if you don't have the time to play them?

Marginalism, Gillipig. Marginalism. Andy's choice isn't "all time for no playing" or "all time for play." It's "play on the weekends" plus "no-play for the rest of the week."

Also, Andy is an entrepreneur--in that he examines the currently discounted prices of games and projects their future prices to imagine potentially obtainable profit. If he gathers a surplus of games beyond his gaming consumption rate, he may have to consider allocating less money to discounted games and more money to more profitable investments.

You silly, silly, tosser!

Shut up Meg!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Humble Bundle is having a week or two long sale, everyday with new discounted games. https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Today, I recommend FTL for $3.33 and Telltale's Walking Dead Season 1 for $6.24

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby pancakemix on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Been playing a lot of Rogue Legacy of late. Good 2-D platformer with some RPG elements and a neat concept.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Getting back into NCAA Football 14. Why? Football season and no games on tonight.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:54 am

Minecraft recently got a massive update that includes new structures, mobs, blocks, and items. Also, you can have customized worlds where you can literally have mountains of diamonds.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:01 pm

I've been playing Wasteland 2, which is pretty good. I also hopped back into Banished, now that there is steam workshop support and people are creating new and interesting, more diverse things for playthroughs.

--Andy

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Mass Effect 2. Time to catch up on the series.
Major tkr4lf

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:Finally got around to Diablo 3

Very awesome

I have it on my any deal list. I'll pick it up when it and the expansion gets down to like $20.

--Andy

Postby pancakemix on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:09 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

Very awesome

I have it on my any deal list. I'll pick it up when it and the expansion gets down to like $20.

--Andy

Funny you should mention that: It's actually on sale now (though not both for $20).

I don't particularly care for it myself. Not sure why but it doesn't appeal to me. I'd recommend getting it now while it's on sale and see if you like it.

As for me, I've been revisiting Bioshock of late. I'm planning on playing Infinite soon and wanted a refresher on the story.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby DaGip on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:26 am

pancakemix wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:

Very awesome

--Andy

Funny you should mention that: It's actually on sale now (though not both for $20).

I don't particularly care for it myself. Not sure why but it doesn't appeal to me. I'd recommend getting it now while it's on sale and see if you like it.

As for me, I've been revisiting Bioshock of late. I'm planning on playing Infinite soon and wanted a refresher on the story.
I'm playing Assassin's Creed 3 now, I was really getting sick of that annoying British accent. But, now...finally. He is gone! To my surprise Haytham Kenway gives way to an Indian half-breed. THANK GOD! I couldn't stand that British accent any longer!

Also, I have Bioshock Infinite downloaded as well. That game is so fun and entertaining, I just can't get enough of it! It has the hardest final battle scene I have ever played! Even on easy!

I have never played the previous Bioshock...now I want to!

(I also want to give a shout out for "The Last of Us". The voice acting and story is excellent.)
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:32 am

tkr4lf wrote:Mass Effect 2. Time to catch up on the series.

Play style is almost completely different than the first game. And ME2 play style is similar to ME3, but ME3 improves on it.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby DaGip on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:

Play style is almost completely different than the first game. And ME2 play style is similar to ME3, but ME3 improves on it.
That's debatable. They switched some buttons around...way to go ME3! Confuse the f*ck out of me when I need to make a Renegade action (like kicking that ugly skank-whore of a reporter off the Normandy after I got done fucking her).

Click image to enlarge.

Let's also not forget the annoying Normandy journeys through space in which you can't explore a fucking planet without Reapers chasing after you! Then you can't even use your scanners anymore to search for palladium or Element Zero. WTF!

The combat is essentially the same, but the story wasn't as fresh as ME2.

ME2 was indeed the better of the series.
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:51 pm

DaGip wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:

That's debatable. They switched some buttons around...way to go ME3! Confuse the f*ck out of me when I need to make a Renegade action (like kicking that ugly skank-whore of a reporter off the Normandy after I got done fucking her).

Click image to enlarge.

Let's also not forget the annoying Normandy journeys through space in which you can't explore a fucking planet without Reapers chasing after you! Then you can't even use your scanners anymore to search for palladium or Element Zero. WTF!

The combat is essentially the same, but the story wasn't as fresh as ME2.

ME2 was indeed the better of the series.

Considering there is a galaxy wide invasion by a massive fleet of AI ships hell bent on the genocide of all space faring races, it makes sense. At least you don't have to scan every planet for 30 minutes to get resources.

But the multiplayer for ME3 is pretty fun. Bronze is for level characters and new players, silver is for higher level characters and players who have gotten the hang of the basics, gold is hard mode for the expert players who have figured out how to get the most out of their characters, and platinum is for the best and for those that figured out how to missile glitch. If you're new, do not go to gold and especially platinum. You will die on the first wave pretty early on.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby pancakemix on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:44 am

ME3 is the worse game because I don't think it's worth all the effort at the end. It's not even all about "choice doesn't matter" as much as it is "ending makes no sense". Every now and then my friend will ask me:

show

and I have to tell him that I don't know. Because I don't.

ME2 is great because it's just a big ol' space adventure. You don't even need to have played ME1 to enjoy it, I think.

Another thing with ME3: I wish games didn't feel pressured to have multiplayer. Just because you CAN have access to a bunch of other people doesn't mean you have to, or even should (I do like ME3's multiplayer, but that game needed help elsewhere).
Epic Win

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:13 pm

pancakemix wrote:ME3 is the worse game because I don't think it's worth all the effort at the end. It's not even all about "choice doesn't matter" as much as it is "ending makes no sense". Every now and then my friend will ask me:

show

ME2 is great because it's just a big ol' space adventure. You don't even need to have played ME1 to enjoy it, I think.

Another thing with ME3: I wish games didn't feel pressured to have multiplayer. Just because you CAN have access to a bunch of other people doesn't mean you have to, or even should (I do like ME3's multiplayer, but that game needed help elsewhere).

1. The space boy was a holographic representation of the Reaper's plans. It took the form of a boy for best understanding.
2. Up until the ending, I enjoyed ME3 much more than ME2. More powers, better power chemistry between the squadmates, and a resolution. A bad one, but still there (the extended ending explains things a lot better).
3. An update came out sometime ago where you do not have to play multiplayer in order get the needed Galactic Readiness number. So it is no longer required.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby pancakemix on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:
pancakemix wrote:ME3 is the worse game because I don't think it's worth all the effort at the end. It's not even all about "choice doesn't matter" as much as it is "ending makes no sense". Every now and then my friend will ask me:

show

1. The space boy was a holographic representation of the Reaper's plans. It took the form of a boy for best understanding.
2. Up until the ending, I enjoyed ME3 much more than ME2. More powers, better power chemistry between the squadmates, and a resolution. A bad one, but still there (the extended ending explains things a lot better).
3. An update came out sometime ago where you do not have to play multiplayer in order get the needed Galactic Readiness number. So it is no longer required.

1. I understand what the ending is trying to represent, but it's non sequitur. It took a Star Wars-esque story and made it 2001: A Space Odyssey. It eliminates the buildup and only stands to confuse.
2. Don't get me wrong, the game itself was enjoyable. The problem is I had 90+ hours of gameplay building up to an ending that wasn't at all what it need to be. It's not the culmination of one game but three. That's what makes the ending so hard to swallow (and the extended ending was little more than a half-hearted apology for me, tbh).
3. It's not about a requirement to play the multiplayer (shitty as that is) but more to do with the game even having multiplayer. ME1 and 2 didn't have it and they were huge hits. It didn't need the multiplayer mode, it needed the ending fixed. It was development time better used elsewhere.
Epic Win

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:47 pm

pancakemix wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:

show

1. I understand what the ending is trying to represent, but it's non sequitur. It took a Star Wars-esque story and made it 2001: A Space Odyssey. It eliminates the buildup and only stands to confuse.
2. Don't get me wrong, the game itself was enjoyable. The problem is I had 90+ hours of gameplay building up to an ending that wasn't at all what it need to be. It's not the culmination of one game but three. That's what makes the ending so hard to swallow (and the extended ending was little more than a half-hearted apology for me, tbh).
3. It's not about a requirement to play the multiplayer (shitty as that is) but more to do with the game even having multiplayer. ME1 and 2 didn't have it and they were huge hits. It didn't need the multiplayer mode, it needed the ending fixed. It was development time better used elsewhere.
The multiplayer is still played quite a bit, and once they fixed certain bugs, became the best part of the game. Speaking of which, I finally unlocked the Krogan Warlord, and he's practically invincible against the Geth when played right. And other than Praetorians, you can laydown the boom on most enemies if you time it right.

Back on topic, from the sounds of it, your real problem, like pretty much everyone else, is that you enjoyed the game itself, but hated the ending. Same here. But give credit where it is due. Up to the end part, the game was very good. The multiplayer adds a way to play with other people, be it friends or random people, and just kill things without worrying about story. If you don't like it, don't play it. That simple.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby DaGip on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:30 am

In both ME2 and 3, if you just power up your Slam capability and you time it right in combat while ducking under cover, you don't ever have to use any ammo (for most enemies, unless it's a Mech or something).

And I enjoyed scanning planets for resources. I guess I am just a boring person.
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:47 am

DaGip wrote:In both ME2 and 3, if you just power up your Slam capability and you time it right in combat while ducking under cover, you don't ever have to use any ammo (for most enemies, unless it's a Mech or something).

And I enjoyed scanning planets for resources. I guess I am just a boring person.

You know what's REALLY fun though? Biotic explosions. Use warp, reave, stasis, dark channel, singularity and other similar powers on something like a brute, and then use throw, warp (primes and detonates), shockwave, biotic charge, lash, and other detonators for a very satisfying BOOM.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby denominator on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:06 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:Back on topic, from the sounds of it, your real problem, like pretty much everyone else, is that you enjoyed the game itself, but hated the ending. Same here. But give credit where it is due. Up to the end part, the game was very good. The multiplayer adds a way to play with other people, be it friends or random people, and just kill things without worrying about story. If you don't like it, don't play it. That simple.

The problem with the ending was there before the developers even tried to write an ending to the franchise. Looking back at my first playthrough of all 3 games, I had 85 hours on ME1, about 110 hours on ME2, and about 75 hours on ME3. That's a total of 270 hours of play time for the franchise, building (for lack of a better word) relationships with all the characters, learning about the universe they've built, and existing in the parameters of the game. No matter what ending they come up with, it is going to be unsatisfying because of the sheer depth of game they've built.

The simple fact that I've spent that many hours on a game in which I am not completely satisfied with the ending, but was immediately willing to go back to the beginning and start over, testifies that both the game is incredible and the ending was doomed. But most ME fans have already come to this conclusion - the depth of the games and the universe is enough to keep us satisfied even with a poor ending.

Although it is still apparently "years away", I think the developers are moving in the right direction by creating ME4 as a game in the Mass Effect universe that has nothing to do with Shepherd. I am unsure how they are going to pull that off, given how integrated Shepherd is into the whole universe, but it's definitely a good play to move away from that storyline now.
Major denominator

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:42 am

I finished Bastion on the weekend. I liked it. It was worth like $7-10 sale item I got a while ago.

Probably will turn my attention back to Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin. And then I'll keep my eye out for anything else on my wishlist.

--Andy

Postby TheProwler on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Bastion was excellent. I highly recommend it. Play it for 15 minutes and I can almost guarantee you'll play it exclusively until you finish it. It took me 10 hours, but I play leisurely and try to complete everything, which isn't necessary.

I'm playing Deus Ex: Invisible War right now. It didn't get as high ratings as the first in the series, but I personally like it more. I'm going to make my way through the entire series (for PC).

I still have the first two games in the series to give to anyone who might want to play them (Steam keys).
El Capitan X wrote:The people in flame wars just seem to get dimmer and dimmer. Seriously though, I love your style, always a good read.
General TheProwler

Postby pancakemix on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:45 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:Back on topic, from the sounds of it, your real problem, like pretty much everyone else, is that you enjoyed the game itself, but hated the ending. Same here. But give credit where it is due. Up to the end part, the game was very good. The multiplayer adds a way to play with other people, be it friends or random people, and just kill things without worrying about story. If you don't like it, don't play it. That simple.

Yeah, pretty much. My argument about the multiplayer has less to do with the multiplayer itself (which is fun, I agree) and more to do with what goes into making a good game versus what goes into making a blockbuster. That, and I find myself shifting away from multiplayer games in general because I don't find it as engaging as single player modes.

Although it is still apparently "years away", I think the developers are moving in the right direction by creating ME4 as a game in the Mass Effect universe that has nothing to do with Shepherd. I am unsure how they are going to pull that off, given how integrated Shepherd is into the whole universe, but it's definitely a good play to move away from that storyline now.

I admire your word choice here if you picked the green light ;)

HERE BE SPOILERS

Really, anything post-Shepard would be difficult, considering the massive apocalypse the end of the game creates (and comparatively, this is nothing all things considered). Basically the world shouldn't exist, and even if it did it presents an even worse problem for Bioware: they have to pick an ending. That illusion of choice they just tried to restore? Completely destroyed. That, and they ought to know better: they did the same thing with KOTOR's protagonist in SWTOR.

END SPOILERS

I had heard tell of a potential ME MMO, which is intriguing. Again, I'd have to figure that'd be prequel material, probably set around the time humans join the galactic community.
Epic Win

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,