Conquer Club

AoG's (and whoever) Official Movie Review Thread™

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AoG's (and whoever) Official Movie Review Thread™

Postby betiko on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 am

nietzsche wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:No, I haven't come across it anywhere.

99% of the video stores have died. There's only left in my area that I know of, and both have a pretty limited selection.

I see. They probably have it in VHS and you're looking for it in betamax.

:lol: :lol:

And you didn t like inception seriously??
I really liked it. 8.5/10 here!
Major betiko

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 am

Inception was good but a little up its own ass. I'd give it a 7.8
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:08 pm

betiko wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

99% of the video stores have died. There's only left in my area that I know of, and both have a pretty limited selection.

It got my attention at the beginning, but then they passed a point where I couldn't stand more bullshit.

When I saw the South Park episode I said "exactly!".

el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:57 am

I wonder if Tarantino was aware that he was at the peak of his career when he was directing the dance scene in Pulp Fiction.

I was about to go to bed when i saw it was on, then i realized it was in spanish and i thought for a moment it was going to be ruined in my mind for listening to the dialogues in spanish but i kept warching, then the dance scene came and i came myself. I feel jelous i cannot dance like vincent vega.
General nietzsche

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:46 pm

mrswdk wrote:
BBC wrote:Obviously, people are buying other security measures like electronic, metal shutters and what not, so why not hire some snipers to chill on your roof?

Sounds totally feasible on most people's salaries.

Security guards cost $10 per hour, maybe $15/hour. Hire a few for only one day, and it's not that expensive--compared to getting attacked and having all your shit stolen and possible being killed. Even better: neighborhood associations can enact fees for local security. Think: blackwater with body armor, armored vehicles, and big guns patrolling your neighborhood for only one day.

It's pretty cheap considering the risk, so the movie is extremely fucking stupid.

In short, yeah, I agree, Chinese Lady/Guy with Big Tits.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:The Purge: Anarchy - 7.9/10

Ok, I admit I'm probably more in love with the concept of the movie than the actual movie, but I really enjoyed it. Enough surprises to keep me on my toes and I really like the theme of "humans are evil, the only thing that stops us from committing crime is laws" because I think it's true.

The Purge series makes no sense.

If there were 'no laws' on one day, and the risk of being attacked was high, then people would contract with defense firms to deter/attack criminals. Obviously, people are buying other security measures like electronic, metal shutters and what not, so why not hire some snipers to chill on your roof? Or pay a yearly fee to the Free Market Security Inc. who'll show up in 3 minutes after receiving your call?

Nope cuz then the movie would be over in 10 min.

Have you seen either of the films? (the first one was bad)

But that's only for people who have the means. A big point of the Purge movies is that the Purge is the opportunity for rich people to prey on the poor. Those with no means for protection/security are taken advantage of by those who can contract a god damn army.

Given the past 200 years, insurgencies have a 40% chance of toppling a government---A Government and all its rich supporters. So with low cost means, the poor can still provide sufficient security. And since 'the poor' know that The Day is coming, they can simply build and defend/attack. Even during the 'good times', government regulations are easy enough to overcome. It's a dumb movie, AoG. Don't try to impress us with its alleged intricacies about class warfare and inequality, dawg.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:54 pm

nietzsche wrote:
betiko wrote:Cloud atlas: 6/10
I was really thinking that this was being a fantastic movie really under rated after the first hour... But the watchkovskis (however you spell it) failed. The movie is not bad, but I thought it would brick in together much better towards the end. It s all a bit in the "matrix mindblowing kinda thing". They tried to renew themselves with a very original concept (6 storylines narrated together taking place in 5 different centuries and with basically the same actors).
Anyone saw this movie and has an interesting read on all of it?

It's all about eastern spirituality/philosophy. The concepts it deals with as far as I can remember is reincarnation, "everything happens now", "oneness", everything connected, etc. The same actor playing a different role means the same soul having a different reincarnation, sometimes carrying issues from life to life.

With these kind of movies is difficult to know how much the author of the original idea and screenplay as long as the director believes or understand these concepts or are just simply borrowing an idea in order to appear deep.

About Tarantino: Best is Pulp Fiction, then is Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. From there there are some good ones, others that are not as good, but contain the same sort of feeling. I mostly agree with all you said. There's another movie, written by Tarantino that I really liked: True Romance.

If you're seeking better films about metaphysical questions on 'oneness' and what have you, then check out El Topo, The Holy Mountain, and what not from Jodorowksy.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 pm

There's this thing called "the Internet." Within it, there are torrents. Get a decent virus scanner like Malwarebytes or whatever; get Tixati; check out torrents[dot]to, and you're good to go.

If you feel bad about not paying for something which you shouldn't download cuz the law, then send the creator's company a check for 50% of what you would've paid (on sale) for the item.

You're welcome.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:43 am

Army of GOD wrote:Inception was good but a little up its own ass. I'd give it a 7.8

Baiting huh?

Inception 9.25/10, soundtrack by Hans Zimmer 10/10!
Nolan with Zimmer is gold.

Last edited by Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 am

betiko wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

BOOM! INCEPTION!
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 am

Army of GOD wrote:I refuse to acknowledge the new Spider Mans as a thing.

agree. I hated it (PATCHES!!!!!)
but I liked the Tobey trilogy very much.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:51 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Ok, I admit I'm probably more in love with the concept of the movie than the actual movie, but I really enjoyed it. Enough surprises to keep me on my toes and I really like the theme of "humans are evil, the only thing that stops us from committing crime is laws" because I think it's true.

If there were 'no laws' on one day, and the risk of being attacked was high, then people would contract with defense firms to deter/attack criminals. Obviously, people are buying other security measures like electronic, metal shutters and what not, so why not hire some snipers to chill on your roof? Or pay a yearly fee to the Free Market Security Inc. who'll show up in 3 minutes after receiving your call?

That's exactly what they did. The main guy in the first movie (Ethan Hawke) was the developer of home defense systems that promised security and peace of mind. Unfortunately, the defense system did not stand up to it's promise and anyone who really wanted to could get in, the defense system only made people feel safe. And they called Purge the "Tea Party Movie' lmao

but yeah, I had some real problems with the first movie, enough to bleh the sequel. 5.5/10
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:54 am

Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Have you seen either of the films? (the first one was bad)

But that's only for people who have the means. A big point of the Purge movies is that the Purge is the opportunity for rich people to prey on the poor. Those with no means for protection/security are taken advantage of by those who can contract a god damn army.

what? I thought the entire plot at the end of the movie was about the neighbors being pissed that the guy was getting rich off them? I saw it both ways, which is only natural, that poor are gonna wanna get their boss/the rich, and in one case only the rich want to get the poor, not enough to see it in that lens tho.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:58 am

betiko wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds are far superior. I really enjoyed them. He drops almost all the pretention and just makes some entertaining movies. I could watch Django over and over. Pulp Fiction I'm not sure I'd even go back for a second run.

That's funny, I thought Django and Basterds were both almost insufferably pretentious. Django is a movie that relies on the righteous slave getting revenge on a slaver, and Basterds is just the same but with Jews and Nazis. It's like watching a propaganda film.

-TG

Side note: I think TG has great taste in movies, music and women.

By the way... Speaking of tarantino: I did like deathproof. Everybody said it was such shit that I was greatly surprised when I saw it. Just a fun movie with no pretention. Great car chasings with hot chicks and funny tarantino dialogues.

Inglorous basterds: tarantino s worse movie

Django: not bad but not even close to tarantino s best movies

Kill bills: they are actually pretty cool. I just love how he brings all the action. I am not a fan of fight scenes, but those ones are always fun to watch.

Jackie brown: it was ok but pretty meaningless, not enough personality

Pulp fiction and reservoir dogs definitely his bests.

I'm with TG and Betiko on Tarantino to tha T on every single call they made on every single movie, and pretentious is the perfect word.

My favorite lines from Pulp "I'm a mushroom cloud laying mother fu$%er, mother fu%^er!" and "do you see a sign on my lawn that says dead ni&$er storage?"
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:01 am

betiko wrote:Thanks duka, interesting review.
So for those who ve seen it... Do you agree with my 6/10?
Didn t you think that it starts great but that it s a bit disapointing in the end?

Take guy ritchie movies. I just love them. Multiple storylines crossing during full movies, and everything adds up great, everything is a well oiled mechanic with a purpose. The wachovskis, or maybe just the author of the book, didn t manage to get such a good result out of all this.

Matrix reloaded and matrix revolutions were pretty crap anyway. At least cloud atlas was better than these two.

I can only agree that I tried to watch it a few times, never made it close to the middle of the movie...
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:09 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
I was really thinking that this was being a fantastic movie really under rated after the first hour... But the watchkovskis (however you spell it) failed. The movie is not bad, but I thought it would brick in together much better towards the end. It s all a bit in the "matrix mindblowing kinda thing". They tried to renew themselves with a very original concept (6 storylines narrated together taking place in 5 different centuries and with basically the same actors).

It's all about eastern spirituality/philosophy. The concepts it deals with as far as I can remember is reincarnation, "everything happens now", "oneness", everything connected, etc. The same actor playing a different role means the same soul having a different reincarnation, sometimes carrying issues from life to life.

With these kind of movies is difficult to know how much the author of the original idea and screenplay as long as the director believes or understand these concepts or are just simply borrowing an idea in order to appear deep.

About Tarantino: Best is Pulp Fiction, then is Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. From there there are some good ones, others that are not as good, but contain the same sort of feeling. I mostly agree with all you said. There's another movie, written by Tarantino that I really liked: True Romance.

If you're seeking better films about metaphysical questions on 'oneness' and what have you, then check out El Topo, The Holy Mountain, and what not from Jodorowksy.

Interesting to see the name Jodorowksy come up today, when I just learned of him for the first time a couple hours ago while checking out some "Dune' clips. He's made a 'Dune' documentary or something, but everyone said it was a total flop. It was kind of interesting he was talking about 'creating' a modern day prophet for all the young people to disillusion themselves with, I barely finished the 2 minute trailer.

However, the 1984 Dune, talkin bout the extended directors special edition and not the mangled together theatrical release. loved the politics, the shadow powers, the sobering and wicked use of threats and force and making offers that can't be refused, the portrayals of absolute evil and righteous and everything inbetween, the commitment of the 'Fremen" and the drive of the fighters, the attention and detail paid to creating bonds and alliances and double crosses, and especially the symbolism/recreation of rituals, initiation, and interrogation. I have to assume a Brother sees this movie totally different than goyim. Dune is so good it will make a grown man cry! An exceptional soundtrack really makes the movie...and STING! 9/10

Major Phatscotty

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Let it go, let it go! Let this damn movie go!

Yeah, I watched it to see what all the hub-bub was about. And Honest Trailers pretty well nailed it. It's a decent movie, but the only thing people remember it for is 1 song. It's basically a princess, a good looking guy, and a snowman go up against the princess (queen), a good looking guy, and a snowman. It's alright for the kiddies, but whatever. 7/10.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby nietzsche on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:00 pm

El Secreto de Sus Ojos

11/10

Great Film. I pity all of you because you will never ever admire all its greatness because the dubbed dialogue will never ever match the real Spanish dialogue with the intonation and meaning of the Argentinian Spanish idiosyncrasies.

It's an absolute masterpiece, belonging to those of us who can watch it in Spanish in the top along with Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction and The Godfather and those kind of films.

BTW muythaiguy, it's not a cartoon. Don't waste your time.
General nietzsche

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 pm

betiko wrote:Thanks duka, interesting review.
So for those who ve seen it... Do you agree with my 6/10?
Didn t you think that it starts great but that it s a bit disapointing in the end?

Take guy ritchie movies. I just love them. Multiple storylines crossing during full movies, and everything adds up great, everything is a well oiled mechanic with a purpose. The wachovskis, or maybe just the author of the book, didn t manage to get such a good result out of all this.

Matrix reloaded and matrix revolutions were pretty crap anyway. At least cloud atlas was better than these two.

There were no sequels to the Matrix.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

Interesting to see the name Jodorowksy come up today, when I just learned of him for the first time a couple hours ago while checking out some "Dune' clips. He's made a 'Dune' documentary or something, but everyone said it was a total flop. It was kind of interesting he was talking about 'creating' a modern day prophet for all the young people to disillusion themselves with, I barely finished the 2 minute trailer.

However, the 1984 Dune, talkin bout the extended directors special edition and not the mangled together theatrical release. loved the politics, the shadow powers, the sobering and wicked use of threats and force and making offers that can't be refused, the portrayals of absolute evil and righteous and everything inbetween, the commitment of the 'Fremen" and the drive of the fighters, the attention and detail paid to creating bonds and alliances and double crosses, and especially the symbolism/recreation of rituals, initiation, and interrogation. I have to assume a Brother sees this movie totally different than goyim. Dune is so good it will make a grown man cry! An exceptional soundtrack really makes the movie...and STING! 9/10

Jodorowsky's Dune gives you glimpse of the man's vision. If you really want to view a film that delves into metaphysical issues, I'd recommend El Topo, Holy Mountain, and the like.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:33 pm

nietzsche wrote:El Secreto de Sus Ojos

11/10

Great Film. I pity all of you because you will never ever admire all its greatness because the dubbed dialogue will never ever match the real Spanish dialogue with the intonation and meaning of the Argentinian Spanish idiosyncrasies.

It's an absolute masterpiece, belonging to those of us who can watch it in Spanish in the top along with Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction and The Godfather and those kind of films.

8.3/10 on imdb, so I'll check it out.

As a purist, I abstain from all dubbed versions, but as a linguistic weakling, I must insist on subtitles. We'll see how this film goes!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

11/10

As a purist, I abstain from all dubbed versions, but as a linguistic weakling, I must insist on subtitles. We'll see how this film goes!

The only foreign made film or television that I don't mind watching with dubs are works of anime. Otherwise, I prefer all foreign language in the language of origin with English subtitles. Since you mention Shawshank, I might just have to check it out.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:21 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

11/10

The only foreign made film or television that I don't mind watching with dubs are works of anime. Otherwise, I prefer all foreign language in the language of origin with English subtitles. Since you mention Shawshank, I might just have to check it out.

--Andy

You, sir, have no soul. You are in a field of bananas, yet you are banana-less.

That is all.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby nietzsche on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:00 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:

11/10

I'm very interested in what you think of it, rating wise. Because in my opinion it's beautiful in part because of the language used. I'd give it more than 8.3, more like 8.9. (In relation to imdb scores). If you check the reviews on imdb, you'll see a that those who praise it most are spanish speakers, although there are a few english speakers as well, but some dont understand the way argentinians use the demeaning terms towards others, even with soft translations like "moron" or dumbass i feel americans will feel offended.

Also, the "piropos" user in the movie will probably be considered sexists to you, but they are used beautifully, the intonation is perfect. "Se abrieron las puertas del cielo porqur se ha salido un angel".
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:24 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

11/10

--Andy

Yours too andy.
General nietzsche

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,