Conquer Club

CA and taxes

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CA and taxes

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Player, I'm sorry to see that you still can't interpret the meaning of other people's words.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:20 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:When you have to incur more debt than you can possibly pay back in the jobs for which you will be qualified, it IS out of reach

If the cost of having a degree outweighs the benefit of attaining that degree, then what is the point of someone getting that degree?

Fixed. One answer: there's plenty of people like PLAYER who (a) keep telling people to get a degree (even though they'll choose the wrong one, or they'll waste money by dropping out) and who (b) cry for politicians and other voters to keep subsidizing college education (which further contributes to the problem).

Well, nice that you think you know so much about me.... I may somewhat joke that I "chose the wrong degree", but the reality is that I entered the field during a time when women were not yet treated equally, (not sure they really are now, in locations) and a few other issues I am not going to get into that had nothing to do with choosing the wrong degree from the outset or dropping out.

The REAL answer is that people who are successful tend to look back with rose-colored glasses and see all the places where they had forethought and knowledge to make the right decision, when in truth, it was really as much luck and the support they got from people around as anything they themselves did.

Even knowing what the "correct" degree often means getting proper advice. Few kids even come out of high school "just knowing" on their own, what will be a good degree.

As for subsidizing college education, if you have any skill in economics, then you well know that every dollar invested in education, particularly at the college level, pays dividends well beyond any other investment. It is the LACK of such investment in our future that is stifling creativity, real innovation and future enterprise.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby KoolBak on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:37 pm

My head hurts. And I gots the wrong degree ;o(
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:43 pm

patches70 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Gee, no empirical support. No surprise there.

Oh c'mon BBS! American kids are starving in greater numbers than ever did in the 1970's! See!-

Nice try, but if you dig deeper, you will find that the two are not at all unrelated. Many kids may be getting calories, but not the nutrients they need.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:48 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:When you have to incur more debt than you can possibly pay back in the jobs for which you will be qualified, it IS out of reach

If the cost of having a degree outweighs the benefit of attaining that degree, then what is the point of someone getting that degree?

Fixed. One answer: there's plenty of people like PLAYER who (a) keep telling people to get a degree (even though they'll choose the wrong one, or they'll waste money by dropping out) and who (b) cry for politicians and other voters to keep subsidizing college education (which further contributes to the problem).

Well, nice that you think you know so much about me.... I may somewhat joke that I "chose the wrong degree", but the reality is that I entered the field during a time when women were not yet treated equally, (not sure they really are now, in locations) and a few other issues I am not going to get into that had nothing to do with choosing the wrong degree from the outset or dropping out.

The REAL answer is that people who are successful tend to look back with rose-colored glasses and see all the places where they had forethought and knowledge to make the right decision, when in truth, it was really as much luck and the support they got from people around as anything they themselves did.

Even knowing what the "correct" degree often means getting proper advice. Few kids even come out of high school "just knowing" on their own, what will be a good degree.

As for subsidizing college education, if you have any skill in economics, then you well know that every dollar invested in education, particularly at the college level, pays dividends well beyond any other investment. It is the LACK of such investment in our future that is stifling creativity, real innovation and future enterprise.

What's your stance on subsidizing education?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby mrswdk on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Apparently any investment in education whatsoever is a fruitful investment, judging by her final paragraph.

I'll take a four-year honors degree in Adventure Education to go, please. Including living costs and the compulsory semesters abroad in the Alps and on Greek islands I reckon about $170,000 will do it, and don't you dare economize by cutting the module on 'analysis of water-based activities'!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:08 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:California, sure, they have top notch highways, diverse industry, wonderful education.....the key is how are they going to maintain it in the medium-term future when there are no super wealthy left to extort.
Playa wrote:Well, see if the minimum wage were raised, then EVERYONE would contribute some... much like they did in the 60's and 70's.

Such a crock. You raise the minimum wage, in a couple years you're gonna be right back where you started at. I have posted here articles from the late 1970's, written by people exactly like you, about how an increase to just $3 something an hour would lift millions out of poverty. Why didn't that work? Tackle the issue, holla back.

Except, I happened to have lived through the 70's... you just pick and choose a few articles that seem to support what you want to believe.

Besides that, several of us have given you plenty of data contradicting your partisan views.

You miss the point and you didn't address the question, nor is it the least bit partisan...it's about fiscal responsibility and not pretending the rules don't apply to us. The point is, whatever hourly wage you say will be the answer and lift millions out of poverty and provide a livable wage, it won't be long until you advocate that the previous wage you pushed for is no longer good enough. Basically you want to go along with the inflation and just try to keep up with the rat race rather than address the money printed from thin air and spending twice as much as we take in per year and going trillions and quadrillions into debt.

The best answer IMO is a strong and more stable currency, and a good place to start would be at least coming close or even attempting to live within our means as a country.

Phatscotty wrote:[
Phatscotty wrote:[
Phatscotty wrote:But really all this talk and debate and politics and idealism isn't necessary. It's just one of the basic rules that need to be followed, and there is no greed involved, no need to take anyone elses money or property, no need to infringe on anything..... don't spend more than you take in.
Playa wrote:The funny part about that is that I, and several others here, have been saying that to you every time you make claims about how you should not be paying taxes because the money is just a waste.

I have never made the claim in my life that I should pay zero taxes. Are you accusing me of being an anarchist? Goes to show you may read what I write, but you do not listen.

Playa wrote:You don't claim to be an anarchist, but you attack basically every tax and government regulation as being intrusive.

You pick out even the most miniscule of problem in the federal government, deny that we have any say in its workings.... and then trumpet the corporate hierarchy , thinking you are citing freedom instead of just corporate-speak.

When we spend twice as much as we take in as a country, everything is on the table. I really wish you would take on my 'challenge' questions about USA's unfunded liabilities, and the questions I asked you on the debt. Seriously, do yourself a favor, rather than giving me crap about something you do not understand, it would be best if you give it an honest attempt. If you are going to purposefully remain ignorant on the issue, then I don't see how you are doing anything but wasting your time.

Corporate heirarchy? :roll: I am citing Freedom, and it has NOTHING to do with corporations. Whatever you say next won't change that. It has EVERYTHING to do with leaving the debt to our children, with interest. I would like very much for the next generation to not be on the hook for the debt we mindlessly add to while we all know it's so much debt it can't realistically be paid back. Talk about fairness? How fair is that? I would like nothing more than for the next generation to be Free to BE their generation, not the generations forced to pay for all the previous one's profligate spending with interest.

The cycle of generational abuse MUST be broken!
Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 pm

mrswdk wrote:Apparently any investment in education whatsoever is a fruitful investment, judging by her final paragraph.

I'll take a four-year honors degree in Adventure Education to go, please. Including living costs and the compulsory semesters abroad in the Alps and on Greek islands I reckon about $170,000 will do it, and don't you dare economize by cutting the module on 'analysis of water-based activities'!

But wait! There's more! With a bunch of voters demanding that (unknown) "basic needs" must be paid by all other taxpayers, you actually get to enjoy more benefits! Hoo-ray!! Hoo-ray!! Democracy works. QED. If anyone disagrees, they're wrong because I said, "QED."
Major BigBallinStalin

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,