Conquer Club

One of The Best Sci-Fi persons..EVER!!!!!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

One of The Best Sci-Fi persons..EVER!!!!!

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 pm

HAPPY 94th BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!..RAY BRADBURY...WE SURE DO MISS YOU..but your stories will live FOREVER........................ConfederateSS....out!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Re: One of The Best Sci-Fi persons..EVER!!!!!

Postby Serbia on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:43 pm

:?:
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby degaston on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 pm

I'm aware of his work...

(Views or opinions presented in this post do not necessarily represent those of the poster.)
Brigadier degaston

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Serby..I grew up in Corktown..Mich. and Trumbull..The Only home The Old English "D" belongs..Stop hating on Bradbury....(Aug.22nd,1920-June 5th,2012).He is American..One of The Greatest ..with Frenchman Jules Verne and Englishman H.G.Wells.....SCREW FLODDENBERRY and his FLYING CIRCUS.I'm sick of spaceships.....Although he did write some awesome T.V. Westerns(Yawn)!!!!!..ConfederateSS ...from SOUTHWEST "D".....out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P.S..but now we just call it..................... MEXICO...............................
Major ConfederateSS

Postby Serbia on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Went to my first game at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. But it's not my fault I've never heard of Bradbury.
And yeah, southwest Detroit has definitely become a Hispanic town, no longer Irish.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby patches70 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:12 am

Serbia wrote:Went to my first game at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. But it's not my fault I've never heard of Bradbury.
And yeah, southwest Detroit has definitely become a Hispanic town, no longer Irish.

Bollocks.

Never heard of Bradbury? Seriously? Well, you may not know his name but you know his works, that's for sure. You just didn't know it was Bradbury.

Fahrenheit 451. Something Wicked this way comes. And then there are all of his influences. Like the stories about people going in time machines back to dinosaur times to hunt a T-Rex. That's Bradbury (A sound of Thunder, with many movies and stories produced using the concept of elements of it). Or Micheal Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11, an homage of sorts to Bradbury, much to the writer's angst.
Then there is the classic Bradbury theater, adaptations of many of Bradbury's short stories. Kind of like the Twilight Zone I suppose, an anthology series.

And hell, Bradbury wrote the screenplay for the 1956 movie "Moby Dick".

There is just so much that has been done and is still being done based on stories and ideas originally from Bradbury. There is just too much and somewhere along the way you've experienced something that had Bradbury's fingerprints all over it.

Though, as much as I love Bradbury, he is second fiddle to Heinlein. But that's not a bad thing at all.
Private patches70

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:17 am

I like you with The "D"....I know Tiger Stadium had to go..Man The COPA(Comerica Park) sucks..I used to work there after my family sold The Bagley Trumbull Market..It's already falling apart..The bolts that hold the seats are always breaking..It leaks all over..under the ballpark where all the workers are.It is built below street level..So they are kinda playing ball underground sort of..It has to effect hitting and pitching............just some heads up..Bradbury wrote Something wicked this way comes..The Halloween Tree..The Martian Chronicles..Fahrenheit 451(funny story.he called CAL TECH.to see what temp. paper burns..they didn't know..so he called the local Fire Chief.Chief told him 451 degrees...true story)..Thank You Kindly fellow BENGAL FAN.ConfederateSS..out!!!!
Major ConfederateSS

Postby DaGip on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:57 am

At least the man was a playa.

Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:57 pm

He was a huge influence on me, as of course was Heinlein. Asimov, however, was a toilet-head.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:42 am

------AUGUST 22nd....HAPPY 95th BIRTHDAY RAY BRADBURY..... =D> =D> =D>
------Shout out from SW D....to ..A o G... ;) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)...
Major ConfederateSS

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Bradbury was up and down. Some moments of genius, of course, like Fahrenheit 451 and the Martian Chronicles, but also a lot of tiresome crap like Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I recently read The Halloween Tree for the first time, and I loved it. Then, deciding it was a good time to dive into my big shelf of unread Bradburys, I pulled out The Illustrated Man and tried to read that, but after several nights of falling asleep during the second chapter I realized the story was never going to ignite.

Bradbury's uneven quality was due to his work ethic, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. He believed that a writer's job is to write, and he many times expressed contempt for people who only write when they feel inspired. He would sit down at his desk every day without fail and write non-stop for at least two sessions of two hours each, regardless of whether he had any good ideas or not. Sometimes it hit, sometimes it missed, but because of his stature in the industry the publishers would put out anything he wrote whether it was any good or not.

If you're a big believer in a strong work ethic, Bradbury was an inspirational success story. If you're a big believer in quality art, he was a drudge. So many of his works read like a bunch of dictionaries thrown into a blender and their pureed contents spilled out onto a page. Even in his best works there are passages that you can tell were produced in his self-enforced work-regardless-of-inspiration sessions.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Bradbury was up and down. Some moments of genius, of course, like Fahrenheit 451 and the Martian Chronicles, but also a lot of tiresome crap like Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I recently read The Halloween Tree for the first time, and I loved it. Then, deciding it was a good time to dive into my big shelf of unread Bradburys, I pulled out The Illustrated Man and tried to read that, but after several nights of falling asleep during the second chapter I realized the story was never going to ignite.

Bradbury's uneven quality was due to his work ethic, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. He believed that a writer's job is to write, and he many times expressed contempt for people who only write when they feel inspired. He would sit down at his desk every day without fail and write non-stop for at least two sessions of two hours each, regardless of whether he had any good ideas or not. Sometimes it hit, sometimes it missed, but because of his stature in the industry the publishers would put out anything he wrote whether it was any good or not.

If you're a big believer in a strong work ethic, Bradbury was an inspirational success story. If you're a big believer in quality art, he was a drudge. So many of his works read like a bunch of dictionaries thrown into a blender and their pureed contents spilled out onto a page. Even in his best works there are passages that you can tell were produced in his self-enforced work-regardless-of-inspiration sessions.

The Illustrated Man was a collection of shorts. You missed out if you didn't finish. Kaleidoscope, the third one, was excellent, imo.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:44 am

Also, Dandelion Wine is awesome. Not SF, jusy an account of small-town life in the US when Bradbury was a kid - but a gorgeous book.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:33 am

------Happy Birthday Ray Bradbury :!: =D> =D> =D> .......Ironic we are living in 451---right now.....But instead of the government it is the people who are destroying art and history... :( ......We can rename your book 1743 degrees F(which bronze melts and glows yellow)...To fit today's times......... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Major ConfederateSS

Postby Bernie Sanders on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:04 am

ConfederateSS wrote:------Happy Birthday Ray Bradbury :!: =D> =D> =D> .......Ironic we are living in 451---right now.....But instead of the government it is the people who are destroying art and history... :( ......We can rename your book 1743 degrees F(which bronze melts and glows yellow)...To fit today's times......... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D

Speaking of temperature, burn any crosses lately?
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 am

Bernie Sanders wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:------Happy Birthday Ray Bradbury :!: =D> =D> =D> .......Ironic we are living in 451---right now.....But instead of the government it is the people who are destroying art and history... :( ......We can rename your book 1743 degrees F(which bronze melts and glows yellow)...To fit today's times......... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D

Speaking of temperature, burn any crosses lately?

I'm Roman Catholic,my crosses are made of gold,It would be hard to burn them...Mostly because your people keep nailing your people to them... :D ...F.Y.I.....The White hoods...don't like Catholics either...My father in the K.of C. played a basketball charity game against them...He rained down 3's all over their asses... =D> Now instead of all this protesting...wouldn't it be better to beat the white sepremos, in friendly games of competition ;) like my father and the K.of C. used to... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Major ConfederateSS

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,