Conquer Club

Atheistic morality

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Atheistic morality

Postby mrswdk on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:06 pm

'Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air. Consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith.' - Hitler

Discuss.
Image

煞笔
User avatar
Captain mrswdk
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: 阿姆斯特丹
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Given that the author of those words was instrumental in destroying religious institutions under his regime... I think you need another "expert" source.

And that even aside from his being the "poster child" for a-moral acts.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Horseshit.

God-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their god.

Government-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their government.

The anarchist atheist is the only truly moral person, because he has to answer questions of morality for himself. At every junction he has to ask himself, "Is this action right or wrong?" and answer that question, reasoning from first principles, with nobody to help.

Or, he could become a nihilist, I suppose. But then John Goodman would beat the piss out of him.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
User avatar
Colonel Dukasaur
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 13530
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 162
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (44)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:15 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Given that the author of those words was instrumental in destroying religious institutions under his regime... I think you need another "expert" source.


I'm sure he can dig up something by Voltaire or Descartes.

Dukasaur wrote:Horseshit.

God-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their god.

Government-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their government.

The anarchist atheist is the only truly moral person, because he has to answer questions of morality for himself. At every junction he has to ask himself, "Is this action right or wrong?" and answer that question, reasoning from first principles, with nobody to help.

Or, he could become a nihilist, I suppose. But then John Goodman would beat the piss out of him.


Image

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby mrswdk on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Duckysaur wrote:God-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their god.

Government-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their government.


Rules and morals are not the same thing.

'You are not allowed to kill people' is a rule. 'Killing people is wrong' is a moral.
Image

煞笔
User avatar
Captain mrswdk
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: 阿姆斯特丹
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Duckysaur wrote:God-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their god.

Government-worshippers have a pre-fab set of rules handed to them on a platter by their government.


Rules and morals are not the same thing.

'You are not allowed to kill people' is a rule. 'Killing people is wrong' is a moral.

Nonetheless, government-worshipers consider it so. I can't count the number of times that I've chastised someone for engaging in some dishonest business practise, only to have them reply, "It's perfectly legal!"

At that point I want to beat them in the face with a crowbar and scream, "Legal does not equal moral!!!" but unfortunately that act, in and of itself, is immoral in most cases. Plus, being products of the public school system, they really do think that legal equals moral, so they just wouldn't get it anyway.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
User avatar
Colonel Dukasaur
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 13530
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 162
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (44)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:45 pm

this debate is bunk. I already know what's going to happen:


1. I argue that morality is subjective and say that OP is nonsense because of it
2. BBS posts link to Wikipedia article for moral pluralism
3. the religious call the non-religious/moral relativists what's wrong with the world
4. I get bored and leave conversation
5. This thread continues for a few years getting a few hundred pages because you morons will argue for-god-damned-ever
6. this thread slowly disappears because of the Great Decline
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Army of GOD
 
Posts: 6376
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:44 am

Army of GOD wrote:this debate is bunk. I already know what's going to happen:


1. I argue that morality is subjective and say that OP is nonsense because of it
2. BBS posts link to Wikipedia article for moral pluralism
3. the religious call the non-religious/moral relativists what's wrong with the world
4. I get bored and leave conversation
5. This thread continues for a few years getting a few hundred pages because you morons will argue for-god-damned-ever
6. this thread slowly disappears because of the Great Decline


But are you sure that you know what's going to happen? These things are pretty subjective, aren't they?
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:06 am

Religions are built on already existing mores. Suck on that, op.

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby asellas1025 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 am

Indeed, religion is made by men and rewritten over the years to better suit the ever evolving world. As far as morals go, that is on the individual, not any institution to say. After all, people are diverse for a reason.
User avatar
Private asellas1025
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:21 pm
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby oVo on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:14 am

Religion sets certain standards that the majority
of followers' actions speak louder than words.
Which tends to be, do as I say... not as I do.

Morality is learned with time and experience,
learning from the community around you.

Acceptance or failure are your own choice.
User avatar
Major oVo
 
Posts: 3850
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Antarctica
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby mrswdk on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:50 am

asellas1025 wrote:Indeed, religion is made by men and rewritten over the years to better suit the ever evolving world. As far as morals go, that is on the individual, not any institution to say. After all, people are diverse for a reason.


Does people making up their own morals not prove that their moral codes are irrelevant bunk?
Image

煞笔
User avatar
Captain mrswdk
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: 阿姆斯特丹
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:13 am

As an atheist, I have no morals. Last night, I punched a baby because I felt like it.
User avatar
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 5273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: NY
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby chang50 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:27 am

Metsfanmax wrote:As an atheist, I have no morals. Last night, I punched a baby because I felt like it.


I can better that..my atheism drives me to eat babies.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chang50
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby shickingbrits on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:30 am

chang50 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:As an atheist, I have no morals. Last night, I punched a baby because I felt like it.


I can better that..my atheism drives me to eat babies.


There's nothing stopping an atheist from doing just that.
User avatar
Sergeant shickingbrits
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 am
Medals: 6
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 am

shickingbrits wrote:
chang50 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:As an atheist, I have no morals. Last night, I punched a baby because I felt like it.


I can better that..my atheism drives me to eat babies.


There's nothing stopping an atheist from doing just that.


There's also nothing stopping a religious person from doing just that.
User avatar
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 5273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: NY
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby chang50 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 am

shickingbrits wrote:
chang50 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:As an atheist, I have no morals. Last night, I punched a baby because I felt like it.


I can better that..my atheism drives me to eat babies.


There's nothing stopping an atheist from doing just that.


I find they are best barbecued whilst still alive and served with French fries and beer.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chang50
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby shickingbrits on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 am

Actually, there is. Thee without sin may cast the first stone. Jesus, being there without sin, did not cast a stone. The Church may have executed many people and claimed that authority was derived through Jesus, but the example left from which they garnered that authority was the exact opposite.

Luther and others can point to this and other examples and say that the Church is unchristian. Religion is being corrupted by its governing institution. For atheist, their governing rules are incorruptible for they have none. Any act is justified by the desire and ability to accomplish it.
User avatar
Sergeant shickingbrits
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 am
Medals: 6
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby chang50 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 am

shickingbrits wrote:Actually, there is. Thee without sin may cast the first stone. Jesus, being there without sin, did not cast a stone. The Church may have executed many people and claimed that authority was derived through Jesus, but the example left from which they garnered that authority was the exact opposite.

Luther and others can point to this and other examples and say that the Church is unchristian. Religion is being corrupted by its governing institution. For atheist, their governing rules are incorruptible for they have none. Any act is justified by the desire and ability to accomplish it.


And it's wonderful eating babies and all,what new depravity shall I try next I wonder?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chang50
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby shickingbrits on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:47 am

Well it doesn't really matter to you does it? You will one day ultimately die and nothing you have done or were will exist. There is no difference in doing it or not doing it. Crime and Punishment, it's a good book.
User avatar
Sergeant shickingbrits
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 am
Medals: 6
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby chang50 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 am

shickingbrits wrote:Well it doesn't really matter to you does it? You will one day ultimately die and nothing you have done or were will exist. There is no difference in doing it or not doing it. Crime and Punishment, it's a good book.


What is really scary to me is that your religious beliefs are the only thing stopping you from doing terrible things.You should never deconvert,you are incapable of being an independent moral agent.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chang50
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby shickingbrits on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:57 am

Why so scared? You are devolving into nothingness anyways and in the 13 billion or so years that stuff has existed, your years are of no significance. No matter what you do, how long you live, what you pass on, how famous you get, it's all just a piece of emptiness in a sea of nothing.
User avatar
Sergeant shickingbrits
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 am
Medals: 6
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby chang50 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 am

shickingbrits wrote:Why so scared? You are devolving into nothingness anyways and in the 13 billion or so years that stuff has existed, your years are of no significance. No matter what you do, how long you live, what you pass on, how famous you get, it's all just a piece of emptiness in a sea of nothing.


That's the brutal truth.While I'm here I can still feel scared/horrified by people who seem to be admitting the only thing stopping them behaving badly is religious belief.If you deconverted would you go on a rampage?Please don't duck the question this time..
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chang50
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby shickingbrits on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:14 am

If I believed one way to live on is through some minor fame perpetuated through an insignificant species, then I would be willing to do things to acquire that fame that I'm not willing to do knowing that I will live on forever anyways. If I believed that I would only live on through my genes, then I would be willing to do anything to enhance their chance of survival.
User avatar
Sergeant shickingbrits
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 am
Medals: 6
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)

Re: Atheistic morality

Postby chang50 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:31 am

shickingbrits wrote:If I believed one way to live on is through some minor fame perpetuated through an insignificant species, then I would be willing to do things to acquire that fame that I'm not willing to do knowing that I will live on forever anyways. If I believed that I would only live on through my genes, then I would be willing to do anything to enhance their chance of survival.


Very revealing..so tell me again who is the more moral?An atheist like me who has zero desire to live on and has no biological progeny,or a theist like you who is only constrained by religious beliefs and who admits in the absence of said beliefs would do literally anything to enhance their survival.
You stand condemned by your own words.I am patently more moral than you..
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chang50
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron