Conquer Club

Scotland independence

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

choose

Total votes : 0

Re: Scotland independence

Postby betiko on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:06 pm

notyou2 wrote:
tzor wrote:
notyou2 wrote:The Quebec populace would rather join the US than separate.

:shock: The implication of that is to humorous to contemplate. I mean they already hate being in a nation where everyone speaks English, can you imagine being in a nation where everyone is expected to know both English (the minority language after 2045) and Spanish? They would blow a gasket. :twisted:

Of course being their own country would only expose their crappy pseudo-French to the world. :twisted:

That is exactly why I never understood why the populace felt that way.

Well people from quebec speak both french and english; american latinos speak both spanish and english. The english speakers are the one knowing f*ck all of what other people are saying, so it s quite amusing to see you guys making fun of quebecois for not speaking spanish.
Major betiko

Postby TeeGee on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:09 pm

betiko wrote:If this shit happens it will open pandora s box in the entire europe.
Oh and no way wales and northern ireland won t ask for the same referendum soon.

And what a pitty for the beautifull union jack. Will australia, new zealand and all those strange islands with a union jack modify their flag too?

Australia has contemplated changing our flag for years. The Eureka flag is more fitting for the top left corner

Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby notyou2 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:13 pm

betiko wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
tzor wrote:
notyou2 wrote:The Quebec populace would rather join the US than separate.

:shock: The implication of that is to humorous to contemplate. I mean they already hate being in a nation where everyone speaks English, can you imagine being in a nation where everyone is expected to know both English (the minority language after 2045) and Spanish? They would blow a gasket. :twisted:

Of course being their own country would only expose their crappy pseudo-French to the world. :twisted:

That is exactly why I never understood why the populace felt that way.

Well people from quebec speak both french and english; american latinos speak both spanish and english. The english speakers are the one knowing f*ck all of what other people are saying, so it s quite amusing to see you guys making fun of quebecois for not speaking spanish.

Betiko, the Quebecois want to seperate to preserve their language. Yet, more of the populace, over 50% would join the US than separate from Canada. The US would not allow them to keep their language, they would insist on English signs and in print size the same as French or larger, which is contrary to Quebec law now. It doesn't make sense.
Captain notyou2

Postby owenshooter on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 am

PIPER DOWN!!!! PIPER DOWN!!!!

i love scotland and all things scottish... i hope this vote goes well for the people of my fav land...-eJn
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 am

Last I heard the EU said Scotland would not eligible; has that changed? If not, the YES Party seem to be assuming they'll be granted several things which have so far been denied to them on the basis they become independent, such as sterling.

Furthermore, a number of companies are preparing to move into England should Scotland become independent, from garden centre chains to the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby patches70 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 am

Not to mention Mark Carney, the current governor of the Bank of England, said that there can be no currency union between Scotland and the brits.
Mark Carney who is the top dog of England's central bank is a former employee of our friends, Goldman Sachs, BTW. The squid strikes again!
Heh heh.

Ole Cameron who never gave a shit about Scotland until it starts looking like Scotland might actually leave the "family of nations". He even shed some tears. Now it appears Cameron is going to visit Scotland, which should surely work to drive Scotland further away I'd think.

I wish Scotland the best of luck, whichever way they choose.
Private patches70

Postby betiko on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:29 am

i have to say i'd be very curious to see what happens if they become independent... a great science lab to see "what would happen if". there are so many provinces in europe fighting for independence, and it has always seemed so dumb. "look what happened to scotland" will be quite interesting; right now I doubt it will be as horrible as some might say or as great as some others think, it's worth testing. Is there turning back?
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:20 am

betiko wrote:i have to say i'd be very curious to see what happens if they become independent... a great science lab to see "what would happen if". there are so many provinces in europe fighting for independence, and it has always seemed so dumb. "look what happened to scotland" will be quite interesting; right now I doubt it will be as horrible as some might say or as great as some others think, it's worth testing. Is there turning back?

Lots of states have got their independence now. This is the first one which isn't caused by Russia's Imperial Manipulation Squad.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
betiko wrote:i have to say i'd be very curious to see what happens if they become independent... a great science lab to see "what would happen if". there are so many provinces in europe fighting for independence, and it has always seemed so dumb. "look what happened to scotland" will be quite interesting; right now I doubt it will be as horrible as some might say or as great as some others think, it's worth testing. Is there turning back?

Lots of states have got their independence now. This is the first one which isn't caused by Russia's Imperial Manipulation Squad.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... ependence/

Putin on Scottish Referendum wrote:ā€˜It is not a matter for Russia, it is a domestic issue for the UK. Any people have a right to self-determination and now in Europe, the process of denuding national sovereignty in the framework of a united Europe is more accepted.ā€™

ā€˜I believe that one should not forget that being part of a single strong state has some advantages and one should not overlook this. But itā€™s a choice for each and every people according to their own circumstances.ā€™

Same Article, Also wrote:Putin was also asked ā€“ half in jest ā€“ whether he would be prepared to welcome an independent Scotland into the new Russian customs union. And the Russian President replied: ā€˜I wouldnā€™t rule that out.ā€™

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm

its looking a lot more closer than Westminsters cameron and clegg thought!farage is coming now to tell us to stay,im sure thats gona help!lol
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:57 pm

Catalonia splitting from Spain has great potential to be a prosperous move. To name one potential: they get to drop Spain's disastrous labor regulations which prevents unemployment from falling. The problem is that the Spanish government (IIRC) threatened Catalonia with an economic embargo if it kept thinking about leaving, so there's that cost. In one sense, it's dumb that a central government would want to prohibit regulatory innovation across its provinces, but in another sense it's smart for the central government to reject secession because secession would result in lower central government revenues for Spain's dumb public policies.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:04 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... ependence/

Putin on Scottish Referendum wrote:ā€˜It is not a matter for Russia, it is a domestic issue for the UK. Any people have a right to self-determination and now in Europe, the process of denuding national sovereignty in the framework of a united Europe is more accepted.ā€™

ā€˜I believe that one should not forget that being part of a single strong state has some advantages and one should not overlook this. But itā€™s a choice for each and every people according to their own circumstances.ā€™

Same Article, Also wrote:Putin was also asked ā€“ half in jest ā€“ whether he would be prepared to welcome an independent Scotland into the new Russian customs union. And the Russian President replied: ā€˜I wouldnā€™t rule that out.ā€™

--Andy

In that case, never mind. Another anal beading brought to you by Putin.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby GoranZ on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:40 am

jammyjames wrote:Mark my words, If they become independant - I give it 10 years before scotland is in a state of despair.

Nope... their country will be in their hands, so if they govern it properly, they wont have problems. Personally I think that they will do quite well :)

DoomYoshi wrote:Lots of states have got their independence now. This is the first one which isn't caused by Russia's Imperial Manipulation Squad.

Wrong... this is the one where Americas Manipulation Squad failed in their task ;)

P.S. You are already heavily manipulated :)
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:39 pm

GoranZ wrote:
jammyjames wrote:Mark my words, If they become independant - I give it 10 years before scotland is in a state of despair.

Nope... their country will be in their hands, so if they govern it properly, they wont have problems. Personally I think that they will do quite well :)

DoomYoshi wrote:Lots of states have got their independence now. This is the first one which isn't caused by Russia's Imperial Manipulation Squad.

Wrong... this is the one where Americas Manipulation Squad failed in their task ;)

I AM America's Manipulation squad!
Major DoomYoshi

Postby notyou2 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:37 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

Digital manipulation? How titillating.
Captain notyou2

Postby GoranZ on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

Sweet... Lets see if you will become part of the LOOSER squad next week...

P.S. There is long list of nations that want to become independent in Europe(Scottish success will give them BIG wings)... so you might need to be part of the LOOSER squad multiple times :D
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

General GoranZ

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Says the guy from the country with 33% unemployment and an average salary that is below the Canadian poverty line.

I bet my computer monitor is bigger than your tv!
Major DoomYoshi

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:00 pm

I voted"no". Mainly because if you cut Scotland off from the rest of the UK they'll never get rid of the Tory government. (the rest, I mean, not Scotland).
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby GoranZ on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:23 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I bet my computer monitor is bigger than your tv!

I dont watch TV, so technically you are correct...

DoomYoshi wrote:Says the guy from the country with 33% unemployment and an average salary that is below the Canadian poverty line.

What do you "rich Canadians" watch on TV? Kardashians :lol: Wait, you are not Canadian, you are illegal immigrant from France living on land that is stolen from the Native Indians.
Nice try Imbecile, but what you consider as your property is not actually yours.

General GoranZ

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:48 pm

HMS Macedonian was a 38-gun fifth rate Lively-class frigate in the Royal Navy. She was built at Woolwich Dockyard, England in 1809, launched 2 June 1810 and commissioned the same month.

In September 1812, Macedonian was ordered to accompany an East Indiaman as far as Madeira, then to cruise in search of prizes as long as his supplies permitted. The frigate left Madeira on 22 October 1812, but only a few days later, on the morning of 25 October, encountered the American flagship the USS United States.

Unfortunately for Macedonian, the United States was one of the new 44-gun frigates, and her broadside was 864 pounds of metal, vs Macedonian's 528 pounds. The USS United States hove round, turning downwind and making HMS Macedonian chase her. Within a few minutes of closing, fire from the United States' 24-pounder cannons brought down all three of Macedonian's masts, and riddled the hull. The United States then pulled away temporarily, leaving Carden and Hope time to contemplate their lack of options. Finally, with the United States preparing to rake the British vessel again, Carden struck his colors, making the Macedonian the second Royal Navy vessel to surrender to the Americans.

The United States took Macedonian into the United States Navy immediately, retaining the name as Macedonian under the command of Captain Jacob Jones. While sailing along Long Island Sound on the night of [May] 24th the flagship United States was struck by lightning, causing damage to the main mast, which came crashing down and causing serious damage to the vessel. Macedonian, being close by, immediately distanced herself from the periled United States.

On 20 May 1815 she departed for the Mediterranean to join Commodore Decatur's 10-ship squadron in the Second Barbary War in Algeria. On 17 June the frigate assisted in the capture of the Algerian flagship, the frigate Mashuda, by frigates USS Constellation and USS Guerriere, the sloops-of-war USS Epervier and USS Ontario.

From January 1819 to March 1821 the frigate operated off the Pacific coast of South America, giving aid and protection to the commercial ships in the area during the disorders following the Latin colonial revolts, before returning to Boston in June 1821.

She was decommissioned in 1828 and was broken up at the Norfolk Navy Yard. The crew for this final voyage included William Henry Leonard Poe, brother of American writer Edgar Allan Poe.
Preferred Pronouns: We / Everyone
My Body, My Choice
Sergeant saxitoxin

Postby mrswdk on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Like the new sig, sax.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:56 pm

mrswdk wrote:Like the new sig, sax.

thanks, boo!
Preferred Pronouns: We / Everyone
My Body, My Choice
Sergeant saxitoxin

Postby tzor on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:56 am

Once Scotland becomes independent, since there is "royalty" to marry off anymore, the only way another nation can unite with them is through a proper ceremony which involves a Haggis.

So which world leader wants to eat Haggis?
Obama?
Putin?
Merkel? ... Wait a second ... she might just do that. :twisted: She will just wash it down with a good German beer.
Cadet tzor

Postby pmchugh on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

jammyjames wrote:Scotland, if independent, will need to find another currency for one. The bank of england have dictated they will not allow for the currency to be held by Scotland.

It is a campaign tactic to say that they will not accept a currency union, and will be something to bargain with in the post vote negotiations. A currency union is the best thing for both Scotland and the rest of the UK, the British government would be a whole new level of incompetent to reject it.

betiko wrote:Oh and no way wales and northern ireland won t ask for the same referendum soon.

Northern Ireland will never have a vote because the country is specifically gerrymandered to ensure a unionist majority. Scotland are having this referendum because the "nationalists" won an overall majority in parliament. I think given Northern Ireland's recent past, this is for the best.

iAmCaffeine wrote:Last I heard the EU said Scotland would not eligible; has that changed?

It was never the case that we were not eligible :? Our application will be accepted, it is the manner of that acceptance which is up for debate.

Furthermore, a number of companies are preparing to move into England should Scotland become independent, from garden centre chains to the Royal Bank of Scotland.

I see Cameron's lobbying has done some good. RBS said it would not move any jobs or operations out of Scotland, and it is like 80% owned by the UK government.

jonesthecurl wrote:I voted"no". Mainly because if you cut Scotland off from the rest of the UK they'll never get rid of the Tory government. (the rest, I mean, not Scotland).

There is an argument for that in the short term. There is also an argument that left wing parties could see a resurgence in an independent Scotland and this could lead a change throughout the rest of the UK. If not, then my apologies to the north of England.

If you can't already tell I am voting YES on Thursday. To end nuclear weapons in Scotland and to better spend that money on healthcare and childcare. I am voting YES to end Tory rule in Scotland once and for all. Yes to end the union with Westminster and for hope that we can elect a slightly less terrible shower of numpties.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,