Conquer Club

Astronomy!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Astronomy!

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:43 am

THIS WEEK'S SKY AT A GLANCE, AUGUST 20 – 28

SATURDAY, AUGUST 28

■ Now that the Moon is out of the evening sky, it's prime Milky Way time. After dark, the Milky Way runs from Sagittarius in the south, up and a bit left left across Aquila and through the big Summer Triangle high overhead, and on down through Cassiopeia to Perseus low in the north-northeast.

Jupiter and Saturn shine in the southeast in late twilight and after dark. They're magnitudes –2.9 and +0.2, respectively, in Capricornus.

Jupiter starts the night lowest. Saturn glows 18° (about two fists) to Jupiter's upper right. The pair levels out around 11 p.m. daylight-saving time. By then they're about at their highest in the south, at their telescopic best.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby 2dimes on Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:16 am

Williams, did you go on your trip?

Finally, I got clear skies for observing on a camping trip.
Tunnel Mountain Village 1, Banff, AB.

They have a curfew on campfires, 23:00, people like having bright LED lights, and too many vehicles using the access roads. Other wise I recommend the place. Light pollution must be slightly worse than 4 on the bortle scale. I did not see the extra dense strip of stars of the Milky Way.

Lots of great satellite viewing did not take an accurate count but more than 8.

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:I've added Leo to my list of constellations I can recognize
My son figures Leo looks more like our dog than a lion, he packed it in at around 22:30.

We have been using Cassiopia, which we figure should be a seagull or a bat, lots this summer since our objective has been Persoids meteor shower. Never spotted many meteors.

Once the bright moon came out it ruined the mood so, I doused the fire, folded the cot and went to bed.

https://skynews.ca

https://stellarium-web.org

https://cam01.sci.ucalgary.ca/AllSkyCam ... tImage.JPG

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

https://astronomy.com/observing

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoo ... FFFFFFFFFF

Edit-
Huh, looked it up, I guess it was class 4.
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info wrote:
Zenith sky brightness info (2015)
Coordinates
51.19545, -115.52363
SQM 21.54 mag./arc sec2
Brightness 0.261 mcd/m2
Artif. bright. 89.6 μcd/m2
Ratio 0.524
Bortle class 4
Elevation 1465 meters

Maybe the LED on the next trailer was ruining it for me.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:49 pm

Yes sir, I'm on my trip now. Currently in pipe springs arizona.

Click image to enlarge.

I took this 2 nights ago with my phone, it makes me want to invest in some amateur camera equipment.

That's the milky way

I stayed in Banff NP at Johnson creek campground 2 years ago, it was full, I had to camp in the overflow area, I didnt even care to look around because there was too much activity, I did hike to the waterfall the next morning tho.

As far as the meteor go, I guess you have to use patience, I always thought it would be like watching meteors rain, but it's more like watching paint dry, but I still stare up at the sky for maybe an hour trying to see a real vivid one pass, that kinda makes it worth it.

Anyways, in a few days I'll be on BLM land in Nevada, from there I'll do a little more viewing, I'm in a paid campground currently and I'm having your issues,, street lights, people walking around with flashlights, cars driving by, fortunately the moon is waning,

I'll post an update in a few days
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby 2dimes on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Great picture, where did you take it?

We might be done for the season, it's back to school on Monday and he does not stay up well.

We did ok for meteors, but you are right, I was hoping for it to be several during a 5-15 minute time frame. In the past it was best when as a teenager we were awake having a conversation and hanging out, then caught sight of them when they happened.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:28 pm

that picture was taken in pipe springs arizona, about 70 miles north the grand canyon

when i was in Nevada on the extraterrestrial highway, there was a fire, so i thought my viewing would be shot, fortunately i suppose the wind shifted and the sky cleared that night. so i stared up for about 40 minutes forcing myself to see a meteor which i did finally. nothing fancy. if i saw 5 satellites i saw 200 of them. pull out your binoculars and they are everywhere. i'm sure one day they will be quite a nuisance.

slightly unrelated, but by chance i passed the VLA in New Mexico today. for some reason i thought it was in Arizona near the Grand Canyon because in the movie "Contact" i assumed the scenery was from there. now i know. that movie is probably the sole reason i'm interested in astronomy anyways. so not that unrelated.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:03 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:that picture was taken in pipe springs arizona, about 70 miles north the grand canyon

when i was in Nevada on the extraterrestrial highway, there was a fire, so i thought my viewing would be shot, fortunately i suppose the wind shifted and the sky cleared that night. so i stared up for about 40 minutes forcing myself to see a meteor which i did finally. nothing fancy. if i saw 5 satellites i saw 200 of them. pull out your binoculars and they are everywhere. i'm sure one day they will be quite a nuisance.

slightly unrelated, but by chance i passed the VLA in New Mexico today. for some reason i thought it was in Arizona near the Grand Canyon because in the movie "Contact" i assumed the scenery was from there. now i know. that movie is probably the sole reason i'm interested in astronomy anyways. so not that unrelated.

Contact is a really good movie; I watched it and really enjoyed it.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-contact-1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYdSKQyff-8
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby HitRed on Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:44 am

It’s been a long time since I saw Contact.

The movie asked an interesting question - Should we send an atheist to represent humanity?

Pew Research
https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in- ... te-00-020/

The chart only goes back to 2007 but following the trend line back to 1997 would be higher. Going forward it drops about 1% per year.

1997 yes
2021 yes
2036 maybe
2037 no

It’s a movie, it’s a USA poll. Lots of nuances here.

The Mission 1986 was thought provoking too.
Major HitRed

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:06 am

Enjoy the views.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 am

Here's a different type of article that I thought was really interesting.

There's a video in the link also if you don't want to read it all.

https://physicsworld.com/a/the-enduring ... ar-corona/

Ask a group of astronomers what heats the solar corona and you’ll be surprised by how many different answers you’ll get. Some might say “magnetic energy”. Others “Alfven waves” or “nanoflares”. Yet others will talk about “turbulence”, “ion cyclotron waves” or “magnetic reconnection”. In fact, almost one article about the solar corona has been published per day since 1943.

The stage upon which this mystery plays out is straightforward. Nuclear fusion in the heart of the Sun generates energy, of which a tiny fraction (less than 0.001%) ends up as “free magnetic energy”. A concept developed in the 19th century by the German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz, free magnetic energy is a reservoir of “ordered” energy that can be converted to less ordered forms. This free energy somehow gets transported and dissipated as heat above the Sun’s visible surface. But like catching a burglar emerging red-handed from a window with a bag of loot, we can’t easily observe the action and identify the suspected mechanism(s).

You might wonder why we can’t just solve the mystery of the solar corona numerically. Surely cranking through the numbers on a supercomputer can yield answers? It’s true that numerical experiments can address various aspects of the problem that can’t easily be studied in the lab (a plasma-filled tokamak being used to generate fusion power, for example, will never approach the near-ideal solar-corona conditions). Unfortunately, even the best computers don’t have enough memory to tackle the enormous range of scales involved.

To get a sense of the problem, consider the “active regions” on the corona – groups of dark sunspots accompanied by brighter areas that come and go over an 11-year timescale. To capture the transfer of energy via dissipation on the 100 m kinetic scale within a 50,000 km active region, you would need about 1017 cells, which is impossible with current computers.

It's pretty timely information - There was a large coronal hole just yesterday or the day before.

Love this website:
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:Image

Enjoy the views.

I am sure I saw Jupiter Sunday night. I should get the astronomy APP for my smartphone to identify the planets and a few stars.

Has anyone got it and USED it? any comments?
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Jupiter and Saturn continue to shine in the southeast to south during evening. They're magnitudes –2.8 and +0.4, respectively, 16° apart on opposite sides of dim Capricornus.

During twilight bright Jupiter, on the left, is slightly the lower of the two. They level out not long after dark, and later they tilt the other way, with Saturn now the lower one. Saturn sets around 2 or 3 a.m. daylight-saving time, followed down by Jupiter about an hour later.

In the evening look for 1st-magnitude Fomalhaut some 22° (two fists) lower left of Jupiter. And less than 2° below or lower left of Jupiter is 3rd-magnitude Delta Capricorni, described in the caption above.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-september-17-25/
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:54 am

Leo announces spring when it's on the rise in the early evening sky. But Leo's arrival in the east at the beginning of dawn? That announces October.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1

■ Vega is the brightest star just west of the zenith after dark. Face west and look to Vega's right by 14° (nearly a fist and a half at arm's length) for Eltanin, the nose of Draco the Dragon. The rest of Draco's fainter, lozenge-shaped head is a little farther behind. Draco always eyes Vega as they wheel around the sky.

The main stars of Vega's own constellation, Lyra — faint by comparison — extend to its left (by 7°).

Before and during early dawn Saturday morning October 2nd, look below the crescent Moon by about a fist at arm's length for Regulus, forefoot of Leo already making his early-apparition appearance, as shown below.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-sept-24-oct-2/

JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:32 am

jusplay4fun wrote:
I am sure I saw Jupiter Sunday night. I should get the astronomy APP for my smartphone to identify the planets and a few stars.

There's quite a few apps out there. I recommend one I used to have which showed the ISS and other satellites. Planets move slow enough that you don't need an app for positive ID.

I originally came here not to reply, but to post a video which some may find interesting:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... m-at-risk1
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:43 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

There's quite a few apps out there. I recommend one I used to have which showed the ISS and other satellites. Planets move slow enough that you don't need an app for positive ID.

I originally came here not to reply, but to post a video which some may find interesting:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... m-at-risk1

Does this explain why some believe the earth is FLAT?
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:48 pm

Take advantage of October’s crisp, clear evenings and early-arriving dawns to explore the nighttime sky with our audio guided tour.

This month’s Sky Tour astronomy podcast guides to interesting sites in the starry sky — from Astronomy Day to Halloween . . . and much more.

October 9th is Astronomy Day, a worldwide celebration of all the wonderful sights that can be found in the night sky. (Check our event calendar and club listings to see if there’s a stargazing opportunity near you.)

Now it turns out that the evening sky has something special to offer on October 9th. Look low in the west, beginning about 30 minutes after sunset, and there you’ll behold a beautiful crescent Moon, just four days past new. Look closely at the Moon, and you might see “earthshine,” a ghostly glow on the part of the lunar disk that’s not lit by sunlight.

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/sky-tour-podcast-october-2021/

JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:52 pm

and for comet watchers:

COMET 29P UNDERGOES BRIGHTEST OUTBURST IN RECENT YEARS
BY: BOB KING SEPTEMBER 29, 2021

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/comet-29p-undergoes-brightest-outburst-in-recent-years/

but I may have posted this TOO late.........
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:35 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:

I've used them, I don't recall which ones as I've downloaded on each phone I've ever had except my current one. They don't work perfect, but for a free app you may as well get it.

There was a really good planetarium that I used to look at, I think the guy ended it tho, he still maintains his website, but took down the planetarium. It was great because you could go as far into the past or future as you wanted and see the placements of all of it. Website was [url]neave.com[/url]
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby 2dimes on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:16 am

Several people were talking about the aurora borealis last night.i went out about an hour an a half to check and there was not any then.

According to one source, tomorrow night there is a 70% chance. Hopefully it will be clear sky's.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:01 am

2dimes wrote:Several people were talking about the aurora borealis last night.i went out about an hour an a half to check and there was not any then.

According to one source, tomorrow night there is a 70% chance. Hopefully it will be clear sky's.

There are at least four errors here, 2dimes. Try Grammarly, or even a basic spell check. Better yet, at least pay attention to the red lines when you type in CC.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:47 pm

Captain Kirk Goes into Space..!

Star Trek's William Shatner blasts into space on Blue Origin rocket

The link has a video, too:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58885555

Hollywood actor William Shatner has become the oldest person to go to space as he blasted off aboard the Blue Origin sub-orbital capsule.

The 90-year-old, who played Captain James T Kirk in the Star Trek films and TV series, took off from the Texas desert with three other individuals.

Mr Shatner's trip on the rocket system - developed by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos - lasted about 10 minutes.

The craft safely landed just after 10:00 local time (16:00 BST).

Those aboard got to experience a short period of weightlessness as they climbed to a maximum altitude just above 100km (60 miles). From there they were able to see the curvature of the Earth through the capsule's big windows.

"Everybody in the world needs to do this," the Canadian actor told Mr Bezos after landing back on Earth. "It was unbelievable."

In tears, he added: "What you have given me is the most profound experience. I'm so filled with emotion about what just happened. I hope I never recover from this. I hope I can retain what I feel now. I don't want to lose it."
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:40 pm

I'm mostly amazed at how well cpt kirk has aged for 90 years old. If I didn't know any better, I'd say 65-75 range

As far as the northern lights go, it's on my bucket list. I would like to spend a winter in Alaska one year, and the northern lights is a small percentage why. (Maybe 15%)
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:54 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:I'm mostly amazed at how well cpt kirk has aged for 90 years old. If I didn't know any better, I'd say 65-75 range

As far as the northern lights go, it's on my bucket list. I would like to spend a winter in Alaska one year, and the northern lights is a small percentage why. (Maybe 15%)

I agree on BOTH points, William.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:02 am

From Shakespeare to the Shatman: who is William Shatner?

The original Star Trek captain, fan convention mainstay and sometime musician has now gone into space

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/oct/13/from-shakespeare-to-the-shatman-who-is-william-shatner
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:07 am

Captain Kirk goes into Space Oct 2021
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/oct/13/william-shatner-jeff-bezos-rocket-blue-origin
William Shatner in tears after historic space flight: ‘I’m so filled with emotion’

Star Trek actor, 90, says ‘I hope I never recover from this’ after becoming oldest human in space on Jeff Bezos rocket New Shepard

The Star Trek actor William Shatner declared himself “overwhelmed” at becoming the oldest human in space, at the age of 90, during a brief but successful second crewed flight on Wednesday of Blue Origin’s New Shepard rocket ship from the west Texas desert.
The Canadian, who for four decades played Captain James Kirk, the fearless commander of the USS Enterprise, broke down in tears at the landing site as he described to the private space company’s founder, the Amazon tycoon Jeff Bezos, the profundity of his almost 11-minute leap to the stars.
“I hope I never recover from this,” Shatner said following his touchdown in the company of three civilian crew mates.

“I’m so filled with emotion about what just happened. It’s extraordinary, extraordinary. It’s so much larger than me and life. It hasn’t got anything to do with the little green men and the blue orb. It has to do with the enormity and the quickness and the suddenness of life and death.
“To see the blue color whip by you, and now you’re staring into blackness
… everybody in the world needs to do this. Everybody in the world needs to see this.”
In a tweet Shatner programmed to post during his flight, he likened himself previously as “a boy playing on the seashore … whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me”.

Bezos, who has sold $100m in tickets for future rides and aims to dominate the fledgling space tourism industry, acted as chauffeur for Shatner and his colleagues on this morning’s short drive from Blue Origin’s crew headquarters to the launchpad in Van Horn. Blue Origin did not divulge their ticket prices for Wednesday’s flight. Shatner was invited to ride for free.
The 57-year-old billionaire Bezos, who was aboard the maiden crewed flight of his own spaceship in July, posed at the launch site for photographs and closed the hatch after the crew entered the capsule about an hour before the 9.49am CT (3.49pm BST) blast-off into the clear blue Texas sky.
“I guess that’s it, huh?” Shatner said, realizing he was about to experience real-life space travel after decades of fictional intergalactic voyaging.
Bezos, who used to pretend to be Captain Kirk when playing with his siblings as children, was also the first to greet the crew after their return, reopening the hatch and dipping his head into the capsule with the greeting: “Hello astronauts. Welcome to Earth.”

Wednesday’s flight, named Mission NS-18, the 18th flight overall for the capsule named for Alan Shepard, the first American in space in 1961, was pushed back a day from Tuesday because of strong winds, and further delayed from its scheduled time of 8.30am by unspecified rocket issues.
Shatner captured the mantle of oldest space traveler from Wally Funk, an 82-year-old former test pilot who flew with Bezos. “Together we’ll cross new boundaries and set new records. Godspeed,” said Funk, who trained as a Nasa astronaut in the 1960s but never flew, in a pre-flight message read to the crew.
“This is a pinch-me moment for all of us to see Capt. James Tiberius Kirk go to space,” Blue Origin launch commentator Jacki Cortese said before liftoff. She said she, like so many others, was drawn to the space business by shows like Star Trek.
Jeff Bezos’s brother Mark, a third member of the July crew, was more succinct. “You lucky bastards,” he said.
The US space agency Nasa also tweeted a good luck message to Shatner. “We wish you all the best on your flight to space. You are, and always shall be, our friend,” it said.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:33 pm

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 20

■ Full Moon (exactly so at 10:57 a.m. EDT). The Moon rises in the east about 20 minutes after sunset for the mid-latitudes of North America. Right after dark, look three fists above the Moon for Alpheratz, the 2nd-magnitude head of Andromeda and the leftmost corner of the Great Square of Pegasus.

■ It's a busy evening at Jupiter. At 8:41 p.m. EDT the tiny black shadow of Io starts crossing Jupiter's face, entering on the east limb, followed by Io itself about an hour later. The shadow leaves Jupiter's western limb at 10:58 p.m. EDT, followed by Io an hour after that.

Meanwhile, Jupiter's Great Red Spot should transit the planet's central meridian around 10:37 p.m. EDT. Features on Jupiter remain closer to the central meridian than the limb for 50 minutes before and after they transit.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 21

■ Once the Moon is well up in the east tonight, look left of it by about a fist and a half for the little Pleiades cluster. Can you pick out this sparkle-patch through the moonlight? Binoculars make it easy.

Look a little more than a fist below the Pleiades for orange Aldebaran on the rise.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22

■ The waning gibbous Moon shines in the east after dark this evening. You may need binoculars to pick out the Pleiades few degrees to its left or upper left, as shown below. Much easier is bright Capella many times farther left of the Moon.

As night advances, Aldebaran comes up below or lower left of the Moon. And by midnight, Orion is clearing the eastern horizon far below them all.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 23

■ Tonight the waning Moon shines near Aldebaran, as shown below.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-october-15-23/
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,