Conquer Club

Addictive tendies

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Addictive tendancies

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:12 pm

2dimes wrote:
jimboston wrote:
betiko wrote:
2dimes wrote:What do you think "rigged" means?

I only ask because this is basically a perfect discription of rigged.
... people putting the game in place that corrupted it by cheating.

Am I spelling it wrong and you think rigged is a different word?

yeah you're right but... what I meant is that macdonald's, the instigator of the game didn't create it rigged, and created it with the intention of making a fair competition. People hired by them to put it in place rigged it. In one of your early messages it kind of felt like you meant the game was rigged by essence.

It;s the difference between the technical dictionary definition of the word “rigged” and the implied definition as used colloquially.

The odds are abysmal, ten prizes out of millions of stickers. There was no need to mess with it, it would definately be profitable for the corporation..

But someone still did.

Either way, You'd be far better off investing all you money immediately in Gamestop and then selling on Friday @$990/share. lots of girlfriends and unlimited MickyD's tendies for life no monopoly needed.

They say McDonalds sales go up about 5% when Monopoly is running... the 'game' and it's prized could cost them $50 million and it would still be a profitable venture.
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:10 pm

2dimes wrote:
jimboston wrote:
betiko wrote:
2dimes wrote:What do you think "rigged" means?

I only ask because this is basically a perfect discription of rigged.
... people putting the game in place that corrupted it by cheating.

Am I spelling it wrong and you think rigged is a different word?

yeah you're right but... what I meant is that macdonald's, the instigator of the game didn't create it rigged, and created it with the intention of making a fair competition. People hired by them to put it in place rigged it. In one of your early messages it kind of felt like you meant the game was rigged by essence.

It;s the difference between the technical dictionary definition of the word “rigged” and the implied definition as used colloquially.

The odds are abysmal, ten prizes out of millions of stickers. There was no need to mess with it, it would definately be profitable for the corporation..

But someone still did.

You still seem to miss the point.

The McDonald’s Corp didn’t mess with it... in fact their employees went “undercover” to help setup sting operations to catch the perps.
... so it wasn’t “rigged” by McDonald’s.

It was an individual associated with a subcontractor that stole the winning tickets and dishes them out for a piece of the winnings.
... in fact you really couldn’t call it ‘rigged’, because the winning tickets were stolen.
Sergeant 1st Class jimboston

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:43 pm

I never wrote who rigged it, but don't let that factor in to what you believe.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:28 pm

We all saw the documentary (or at least the first episode cus that shit was boring).

Was the monopoly game rigged for years? Yes, as a McDonalds customer you had much lower odds of winning that were officially listed.
How was it rigged? The 3rd party company running that game had an employee who was selling the winning tickets before they were ever sent to a McDonald store.

You guys good now?

Can we get back to Yoloing you life savings into GME at market open tommorow? We are in the middle of a Gamma Squeeze and that shit is gonna hit the moon on Friday.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:30 am

2dimes wrote:I never wrote who rigged it, but don't let that factor in to what you believe.

The people who “messed with it” did feel the need.

The main con artist / thief made money by stealing the winning ticket.
He would NOT have made that money had he not done that.

You are missing the term “rigged”.

This term implies that the game is not fair “by design”. It was fair by design... McDonalds spent big money trying to make sure it was fair. Unfortunately someone beat their protections. That’s not a ‘rigged’ game... it’s an outright crime.

Saying it’s ‘rigged’ is saying that it was designed to be unfair which is factually incorrect.

I’m not defending McDonald’s or this stupid game... i’m defending the English Language. You younger kids throw around words like “rigged” too easily.

“The world is ‘rigged’ against me succeeding.” No it’s not... you just have to work hard, but that doesn’t mean it’s ‘rigged’.
“The odds are so bad in McDonald’s Monopoly, it’s ‘rigged’.”. No it’s not... the odds are low and they were made lower for awhile because someone was stealing the big winners, but it wasn’t ‘rigged’.

Postby 2dimes on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 am

Aww, you miss Saxi. That's adorable.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:53 pm

jimboston wrote:
2dimes wrote:I never wrote who rigged it, but don't let that factor in to what you believe.

The people who “messed with it” did feel the need.

The main con artist / thief made money by stealing the winning ticket.
He would NOT have made that money had he not done that.

You are missing the term “rigged”.

This term implies that the game is not fair “by design”. It was fair by design... McDonalds spent big money trying to make sure it was fair. Unfortunately someone beat their protections. That’s not a ‘rigged’ game... it’s an outright crime.

Saying it’s ‘rigged’ is saying that it was designed to be unfair which is factually incorrect.

I’m not defending McDonald’s or this stupid game... i’m defending the English Language.

You're correct thus far.

You younger kids throw around words like “rigged” too easily.

Here I think you're drifting off the mark. I'm not sure, but I believe 2d is older than you.

“The world is ‘rigged’ against me succeeding.” No it’s not... you just have to work hard, but that doesn’t mean it’s ‘rigged’.

Now you're completely wrong. The world is rigged against (most) people succeeding.

People who went through university when it was subsidized and cheap, got into high paying professional careers, and then voted to end subsidies for universities so that future generations would be less likely to be able to follow them and compete with them. This keeps their fees high.

Speaking of McDonald's, early in its history Ray Kroc insisted that franchise fees had to be kept low enough that a working person could aspire to buy a franchise. Once they started proliferating, the franchisees pressure the company to raise franchise fees so that more people wouldn't enter the field and compete with them. Today if you're not a multimillionaire before you start, you're not opening a McDonald's.

I could go on for hours and hours but I won't waste my time. Basically in any field, people who got in when it was easy to get in, then worked at erecting walls so that other people in the future would find it more difficult, thus keeping the "success club" exclusive and ensuring that the majority of people will forever be on the outside looking in.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:11 pm

2dimes wrote:Aww, you miss Saxi. That's adorable.

2dimes wins this thread right Llama?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:16 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
jimboston wrote:You younger kids throw around words like “rigged” too easily.

Here I think you're drifting off the mark. I'm not sure, but I believe 2d is older than you.

I was guessing he’s younger. I’m 50.

I was actually just trying to be funny... going back to how I was called a “Boomer” before.
Embracing my “Boomerness”.

Dukasaur wrote:
jimboston wrote: “The world is ‘rigged’ against me succeeding.” No it’s not... you just have to work hard, but that doesn’t mean it’s ‘rigged’.

Now you're completely wrong. The world is rigged against (most) people succeeding.

People who went through university when it was subsidized and cheap, got into high paying professional careers, and then voted to end subsidies for universities so that future generations would be less likely to be able to follow them and compete with them. This keeps their fees high.

Going a lot ‘deeper’ than I intended. Still not ‘rigged’.

Dukasaur wrote:
Speaking of McDonald's, early in its history Ray Kroc insisted that franchise fees had to be kept low enough that a working person could aspire to buy a franchise. Once they started proliferating, the franchisees pressure the company to raise franchise fees so that more people wouldn't enter the field and compete with them. Today if you're not a multimillionaire before you start, you're not opening a McDonald's.

The Francises and the Corporation own the rights to the name. They can make whatever rules they want. Early you want low Franchise fees, NOt because you are doing this altruistic thing, but because you want low fees to encourage people to expand your business. Once you ah e expanded you want to capitalize on the early hard work. This is like Business 101.

Dukasaur wrote:
I could go on for hours and hours but I won't waste my time. Basically in any field, people who got in when it was easy to get in, then worked at erecting walls so that other people in the future would find it more difficult, thus keeping the "success club" exclusive and ensuring that the majority of people will forever be on the outside looking in.
[/quote][/quote]

Yes...it’s called life. Not rigged.

You can see this with Apprenticeships and Trade Unions... this is old news.

What does it have to do with misusing the word “rigged”.

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 pm

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:33 pm

Jim you are claiming a specific definition of the word rigged that is based on nothing at all but your own personal belief.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rigged

" Rigged - manipulated or controlled by deceptive or dishonest means "

matches exactly what happened to consumers in monopoly game. You really do miss arguing with Saxi don't you?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby 2dimes on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:32 pm

jimboston wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
jimboston wrote:You younger kids throw around words like “rigged” too easily.

I was guessing he’s younger. I’m 50.

I was actually just trying to be funny... going back to how I was called a “Boomer” before.
Embracing my “Boomerness”.

Yeah he's older, I'm 12.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby jimboston on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:31 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:Jim you are claiming a specific definition of the word rigged that is based on nothing at all but your own personal belief.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rigged

" Rigged - manipulated or controlled by deceptive or dishonest means "

matches exactly what happened to consumers in monopoly game. You really do miss arguing with Saxi don't you?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The game pieces were stolen.

The game was not manipulated or controlled.

The winning prices were stolen.

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:02 pm

jimboston wrote:
The game pieces were stolen

The game was not manipulated

Uh... Uh.... So winning pieces weren't sent to Mcdonalds locations and weren't able to be won by consumers who bought qualifying food products... but according to you the game was not manipulated... uh, uh... yeah I'm gonna change the subject again

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l6l6b2/i_see_dead_hedge_funds/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:44 pm

Rigged implies it was intended to be unfair... designed to cheat.

It wasn’t.

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:46 pm

jimboston wrote:Rigged implies it was intended to be unfair... designed to cheat.

It wasn’t.

Rigged can imply whatever you decide it implies to you, but you aren't a dictionary as I already pointed out.

It wasn't McDonalds intention to be unfair... but that doesn't mean the game was fair to consumers.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO DOES THE RIGGING, THE GAME WAS UNFAIR TO CONSUMER = IT WAS RIGGED AGAINST CONSUMERS.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:50 pm

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
jimboston wrote:Rigged implies it was intended to be unfair... designed to cheat.

It wasn’t.

Rigged can imply whatever you decide it implies to you, but you aren't a dictionary as I already pointed out.

It wasn't McDonalds intention to be unfair... but that doesn't mean the game was fair to consumers.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO DOES THE RIGGING, THE GAME WAS UNFAIR TO CONSUMER = IT WAS RIGGED AGAINST CONSUMERS.

No.

Postby jimboston on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:15 am

The Game Stop stuff is going to wind up hurting a lot of the retail joe-shmo investors who got in too late.

People who bought at $16 and sold at $100... great.
There will be more people who bought at $80 or $100 and who are going to be left with losses when the stock settles.
It can’t remain inflated forever.

I applaud the idea of screwing over hedge-funds who are shorting companies being hurt by Covid.
The problem is that in doing this there are ancillary ‘victims’. People who have money in IRA’s that maybe invested (in part) in these hedge funds; ditto institutional investors who have invested pension funds into these companies, etc. Not to mention the retail investors who get on board late.

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:29 am

jimboston wrote:The Game Stop stuff is going to wind up hurting a lot of the retail joe-shmo investors who got in too late.

There will be more people who bought at $80 or $100 and who are going to be left with losses when the stock settles.

I applaud the idea of screwing over hedge-funds who are shorting companies being hurt by Covid.
The problem is that in doing this there are ancillary ‘victims’. People who have money in IRA’s that maybe invested (in part) in these hedge funds; ditto institutional investors who have invested pension funds into these companies, etc. Not to mention the retail investors who get on board late.

That's cool.

OK BOOMER

You have no idea what you are talking about!
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:27 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
jimboston wrote:The Game Stop stuff is going to wind up hurting a lot of the retail joe-shmo investors who got in too late.

That's cool.

OK BOOMER

I know exactly what I am talking about.

The people who got in early and bought at $19 will make money... the smart ones have already sold and pocketed their winnings.
(On Dec. price was $18.84)

The stock is now priced at around $300, it hit a high at nearly $469.42.
People (retail investors) have already lost money on it...someone was buying at $469.42.

If you bought the stock at anything over $19... sell NOW. You’ll clear $280 a share and be happy if you got it for $20.
Even if you bought it for $150... sell NOW. You’ll clear $150 a share and be happy.

The stock price will start to drop and when it drops it’ll likely drop hard. It;s surprising that it didn’t tank yesterday when the middy price was around $132. I can only suspect more uneducated retail buyers jumped in because the stories on the mainstream news brought a lot of attention and people wanted to jump onboard... but they are jumping in too late. There will be a crash. Anyone left holding stock that they paid more that $20 for is likely to take a big loss.

The value at $300/share is not sustainable... it’s gonna fall to it’s pre-mania price.

I have no love of hedge funds. They manipulate the market and not always in a way that’s ‘beneficial’ to the market. They aren’t “betting” (for the most part) with their own money. They are betting with regular people’s 401K’s and IRA’s and Pension Funds.

THIS is a “rigged” game. When the hedge funds win the fund managers win. When the hedge funds lose... the fund managers don’t lose... the 401k’s and IRA’s and Pension Funds lose... i.e, regular peeps.

in the limited cases where hedge funds are using their own money. They can afford to absorb the losses. Can “Tony down the street” afford to buy Gamestop stock...dropping $XXXXX on it priced at $200/share; when he’s likely gonna wind up selling it next week for $25/share?

Meanwhile... some hedge funds that originally bet on the “short” have likely bought stock when they saw it going up... so they’ve “Hedged” their losses, and will win either way.

Retail investors can’t play this game for a sustained time and win.

Yes... there will be some retail investors who win on this, and I hope you are one of them.

The vast majority will lose. It’s just like Vegas... it’s really not much different, this day trading. There are people who gamble in Vegas and win win win... but for everyone who is a lifetime net winner; there are 25 people or more who are lifetime net losers. Meanwhile, the Casino wins... and in this analogy the hedge funds are the professional gamblers (who generally win and get paid in some cases to play) and the institutions (who make $ on the transactions) are like the Casinos.

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:22 pm

jimboston wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:

That's cool.

OK BOOMER

I know exactly what I am talking about.

Blah Blah Blah, I'm a boomer. I don't understand that all investments have risks and there are no guarantees. It's news to me that people lose money every day in the stock market, and that there isn't a guarantee that everyone gets to make money and sing Kumbaya together.

I also know where the price will be next week, so I can say for certain that those that bought in at this weeks high will lose everything. I'm super educated, I read one article a bear wrote and I'm a paperhanded bitch.

You have no idea what is driving the price changes or how the options market works. A close at $325 today means the price virtually has to go up next week. I'm not doing your due diligence for you, since clearly you don't have the balls to invest your own money but want to boomer wag your finger at millennials because you 401k went down 2% today. Do you know why the market went down today? Hedge funds who have been shorting this stock ARE LIQUIDATING THEIR LONG POSITIONS TO COVER THESE SHORT POSITIONS. They are bleeding, badly... and the SEC and Gov't did NOT bail them out. they tried dirty tricks all week, but the people didn't sell their stocks.

ALL RETAIL INVESTORS HAVE TO DO IS NOT SELL. THEY DON"T HAVE TO BUY MORE, THEY DON'T HAVE TO COVER MONTHLY PUTS FOR $60/share THAT EXPIRED TODAY WHEN THE MARKET CLOSED at $325/share. THE SHORTS ARE PAYING $300 MILLION A DAY TO DRAG THIS OUT, IT COSTS US NOTHING TO HOLD OUR SHARES
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:27 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
Blah Blah Blah, I'm a boomer. I don't understand that all investments have risks and there are no guarantees. It's news to me that people lose money every day in the stock market, and that there isn't a guarantee that everyone gets to make money and sing Kumbaya together.

I also know where the price will be next week, so I can say for certain that those that bought in at this weeks high will lose everything. I'm super educated, I read one article a bear wrote and I'm a paperhanded bitch.

I fully understand risks. I would bet the retail investors who initiated this purchase frenzy on Gamestop understand the risks. The ones who do have already sold... they are the winners.

I suspect (i.e. like all investment talk it’s speculation) that many of the people who jumped onto the Gamestop frenzy later are not as savy.

I do not KNOW where the price of Gamestop will be next week. This bubble might last longer than I suspect... it to burst by Wednesday, but maybe it’ll last into mid February. I do know the price of the stock is a bubble that is temporary and NOT supported by the fundamentals of the business... nor is it supported by possible long-term projected (fantasized) growth. THIS bubble is supported by speculation driven by social media and widespread mainstream media buzz. It won’t last.

mookiemcgee wrote:
You have no idea what is driving the price changes or how the options market works.

Actually, you have no idea what I know or don’t know.

mookiemcgee wrote:
A close at $325 today means the price virtually has to go up next week.

This might mean it will open high. It absolutely DOES NOT mean it “virtually has to go up next week”. It can open high and crash by 10am.

I expect a crash midweek. Like I said... maybe it’ll ride high longer than that. It will come down.

https://money.cnn.com/quote/forecast/fo ... l?symb=GME
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... n-business
https://capital.com/gamestop-stock-fore ... nanza-last

mookiemcgee wrote:I'm not doing your due diligence for you,

Didn’t ask you to... we are both speculating. Let’s see what happens by Wednesday and again by mid February.

mookiemcgee wrote:since clearly you don't have the balls

So we are both speculating about a market event... and you have to start insulting. Got it. Thanks.

mookiemcgee wrote:to invest your own money

Actually I can’t invest my own money in individual stocks (or other equities) due to restrictions from my wife’s work. We could by individual stocks but you have to jump through hoops to buy / sell and so day trading is impossible.

mookiemcgee wrote:but want to boomer wag your finger at millennials

I’m not a “Boomer” and I’m not wagging my finger at anyone. People can make their own decisions. I am simply saying there will wind up being a small percentage of “winners” in this Gamestop Rollercoaster, and large number of losers...and if you want to be a winner I would suggest getting out NOW.

mookiemcgee wrote:because you 401k went down 2% today.

My portfolio is large enough, well diversified... it can handle this road bump. I’m not looking to access that money for quite awhile yet, so I’m not sweating it personally. I don’t worry about market blips. Most people with retirement money should ignore blips.

mookiemcgee wrote:Do you know why the market went down today? Hedge funds who have been shorting this stock ARE LIQUIDATING THEIR LONG POSITIONS TO COVER THESE SHORT POSITIONS. They are bleeding, badly... and the SEC and Gov't did NOT bail them out. they tried dirty tricks all week, but the people didn't sell their stocks.

Not sure what “dirty tricks” you are referring to... but yes I am well aware that many of these hedge funds have to disinvest from other stocks to generate the cash necessary to cover their bets. It’s pretty basic stuff.

mookiemcgee wrote:ALL RETAIL INVESTORS HAVE TO DO IS NOT SELL. THEY DON"T HAVE TO BUY MORE, THEY DON'T HAVE TO COVER MONTHLY PUTS FOR $60/share THAT EXPIRED TODAY WHEN THE MARKET CLOSED at $325/share. THE SHORTS ARE PAYING $300 MILLION A DAY TO DRAG THIS OUT, IT COSTS US NOTHING TO HOLD OUR SHARES

... and this is where and why the price will drop. You say it “costs retail investors nothing” but that’s not true. There is opportunity cost. You are relying on the unified action of thousands of individual investors. Sure, some may have invested small amounts... and they can sit on the stock. Others maybe have plenty of cash and they can sit. What is the individual value of sitting?

You have investor “Joe”... he threw $500 at it when it was $25. Now he’s looking at $6000. He can sit on that $6000 or he can cash it in now and invest it in something else. That $6000 ain’t growing anymore... the smart decision for him as an individual is to sell and make other investments that have more potential. Even if he wants to sit on it to “screw the short sellers”... what’s he gonna do when he starts seeing the price drop and his $6000 becomes $5000?

What about “Susan” who invested on Margin? She’s at least gonna want to sell to pay back what she borrowed?

These retail investors have started to make individual decisions already... the stock price has been bolstered by a second wave of retail investors who have jumped on the bandwagon after the news high mainstream media. Initially it was the Reddit group... but now it’s the masses. The masses will be more fickle. If I had 100 shares I’d get out now while the price is still high. It’s not going up anymore, and that means there’s only one place for it to go.

Postby riskllama on Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:52 am

*tendencies
Lieutenant riskllama

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,