Conquer Club

One year ago, March 2020

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

One year ago, March 2020

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:22 am

About one year ago, the USA went into a major shut-down for 2 weeks (15 days) to "flatten the curve." That has become a nearly year long shut down in most of the USA.

We are finally significant easing restrictions in some states, such as Texas, Florida, and Mississippi. (There was some easing in the summer, but that did not last.) In Virginia, there are some easing of a few restrictions, but masks and social distancing is still the expectations and the RULE.

How are restrictions going where you are?

Have restrictions been effective?

How soon do we "Return to Normal"?
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Re: One year ago, March 2020

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:39 am

jusplay4fun wrote:About one year ago, the USA went into a major shut-down for 2 weeks (15 days) to "flatten the curve." That has become a nearly year long shut down in most of the USA.

We are finally significant easing restrictions in some states, such as Texas, Florida, and Mississippi. (There was some easing in the summer, but that did not last.) In Virginia, there are some easing of a few restrictions, but masks and social distancing is still the expectations and the RULE.

-----Still under Whitlermer Rule...But No one in Southwest Detroit,follows American Laws anyway...And no cop ,gets out of their cars ever anymore...They used to ,get out to eat....But they just have Uber Eats,deliver to their squad car.... :lol:
-----No, change in our neck off the woods...People turned their houses into Mexican Restaurants long ago....So,people just went about their lives,except for school...No one went anyway...But,since they 've been online,they actually were learning... =D> =D> =D>
-----As Soon As The SOUTH rises again...The USA had a good 245 year run... ;) ... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 pm

Mayor Ted Wheeler seeks $2 million to bring back uniformed police team to address spike in shootings
Updated Mar 11, 7:29 PM; Posted Mar 11, 4:55 PM

Days after Portland recorded its 20th homicide, Mayor Ted Wheeler said Thursday he’ll seek $2 million in one-time funding to allow more proactive policing on city streets with greater civilian oversight to try to stem a growing wave of gun violence.

The mayor made the announcement alongside religious and community leaders, who urged city officials to take immediate action to prevent more people from dying in shootings, particularly young Black and brown people who have been disproportionately affected by the violence.

Let me get this right; they cut police funding and crime went UP? really...? hard to believe......imagine THAT...!
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:44 am

The South is generally opening up and easing restrictions: Texas, Florida, and Mississippi come to mind.

Many northern states, and Virginia, too, are NOT.

ConfederateSS wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:About one year ago, the USA went into a major shut-down for 2 weeks (15 days) to "flatten the curve." That has become a nearly year long shut down in most of the USA.

-----Still under Whitlermer Rule...But No one in Southwest Detroit,follows American Laws anyway...And no cop ,gets out of their cars ever anymore...They used to ,get out to eat....But they just have Uber Eats,deliver to their squad car.... :lol:
-----No, change in our neck off the woods...People turned their houses into Mexican Restaurants long ago....So,people just went about their lives,except for school...No one went anyway...But,since they 've been online,they actually were learning... =D> =D> =D>
-----As Soon As The SOUTH rises again...The USA had a good 245 year run... ;) ... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby ConfederateSS on Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:03 pm

---------Like last year in Corktown by Old Tiger Stadium....The St.Patrick's Day Parade was cancelled by the Reason of Gov..Whit..stupid lockdowns....But as last year ,I road my bike down the middle of Michigan Ave...With my Green floppy Leprechaun Hat...The old Parade route......No one is raining on my Parade...Not even the Queen of Death here in Michigan... :D ... Although...the street was empty last year....This year I saw at least 100 or more people walking from bar to bar....So,that is a good sign... :D =D> 8-) ...... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:) ...The one man Parade... :D :D :D :D....There might be freedom at the end of our rainbow ,here in Michigan...:)
Major ConfederateSS

Postby betiko on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:18 am

I see the date of your post and I see March 13th. that day, they decided to shut down schools last year here in Spain and the next a total shutdown and people were not allowed to leave home, and just a few essential businesses were allowed to open. I remember that the USA was acting as if nothing was happening during that span, and trump took at least 2 or 3 weeks to react. Over 30 million americans have been infected and half a million have died ever since. good jub, donald
Major betiko

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:35 pm

Where I live, and in much of the USA, we all did as Spain did: nearly a total shut down. For weeks, we only left to shop for groceries (food). NO church, no school, people worked from home where possible.

I cannot speak for every one of the 50 states, but nearly ALL shut down to the same extent, as I recall. AND President Trump allowed the individual state governors (leaders) make that decision to shut down and to what extent. Low density and low population states like Montana and Alaska need not follow the example of California or New York.

Unlike Spain, the USA is a much larger country (population and land) and so Spain is about the equivalent in size to many of the states in the USA.

betiko wrote:

I see the date of your post and I see March 13th. that day, they decided to shut down schools last year here in Spain and the next a total shutdown and people were not allowed to leave home, and just a few essential businesses were allowed to open. I remember that the USA was acting as if nothing was happening during that span, and trump took at least 2 or 3 weeks to react. Over 30 million americans have been infected and half a million have died ever since. good jub, donald
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby betiko on Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:17 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:Where I live, and in much of the USA, we all did as Spain did: nearly a total shut down. For weeks, we only left to shop for groceries (food). NO church, no school, people worked from home where possible.

I cannot speak for every one of the 50 states, but nearly ALL shut down to the same extent, as I recall. AND President Trump allowed the individual state governors (leaders) make that decision to shut down and to what extent. Low density and low population states like Montana and Alaska need not follow the example of California or New York.

Unlike Spain, the USA is a much larger country (population and land) and so Spain is about the equivalent in size to many of the states in the USA.

betiko wrote:

well I know states like new york and such did... but all did it much later. Like Italy did it 2 weeks before us as their case was much more alarming at the time. Then most of Europe shut down around the 13th. We were just wondering though what the f*ck were the USA and the UK doing... you can just see the results in both countries today.
For your reference, there is not a single state in the US as populated as Spain. I can even take the 10 least populated states in the USA and combined, they have less population than the autonomic region I live in, which is one out of 17.. and that would be the same thing as your states with your governments. You probably can't name any and yet you want people to see the USA as several states as in "countries". Each Spanish autonomic region is a case on its own too and hasn't been following uniform confinement rules. So if you want me not to generalise and know what I'm talking about, you might apply it to yourself.
Major betiko

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Population:

The entire country of Spain has a slightly larger population than the state of California. SO what? Spain's entire population is less than 15% of the US population. You totally missed my point. The USA is far larger land than Spain and therefore what is important in one state is not true of all states and therefore a NATIONAL policy on ALL things is not always the best or wisest choice.

Spain/Population
46.94 million (2019)

California
39.37 million people

USA
331 million people
The U.S. population today, at the start of 2020, numbers just over 331 million people

How is the vaccinations against COVID in Spain? and what about the number of death and cases in Spain regarding COVID? Honestly, I do not keep up with all that data as it little impact on me.

As far as autonomous regions of Spain: how about Galacia, Andalusia, Valencia, Aragon, Castille & La Mancha, and the area around Barcelona (whose name I cannot recall at the moment). You also have the Southern region north of Grenada, too. AND all that without looking up any information before posting here.

Like Duk, you want to assume that I am something I am not: I am not an ignorant American who has not travelled outside of the USA and am NOT also Xenophobic. You are both wrong on such assumptions. Comprende usted.?
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:56 pm

betiko,

Why do you feel the need to post here and insult me? What have I done to you to deserve such an inappropriate response?

Try to act like a mature adult who respects others.

And further, betiko, why do you still show a picture of BIll Cosby? Is that indicative of your other reprehensible behaviors?

DISGUSTING.

betiko wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:Where I live, and in much of the USA, we all did as Spain did: nearly a total shut down. For weeks, we only left to shop for groceries (food). NO church, no school, people worked from home where possible.

betiko wrote:

well I know states like new york and such did... but all did it much later. Like Italy did it 2 weeks before us as their case was much more alarming at the time. Then most of Europe shut down around the 13th. We were just wondering though what the f*ck were the USA and the UK doing... you can just see the results in both countries today.
For your reference, there is not a single state in the US as populated as Spain. I can even take the 10 least populated states in the USA and combined, they have less population than the autonomic region I live in, which is one out of 17.. and that would be the same thing as your states with your governments. You probably can't name any and yet you want people to see the USA as several states as in "countries". Each Spanish autonomic region is a case on its own too and hasn't been following uniform confinement rules. So if you want me not to generalise and know what I'm talking about, you might apply it to yourself.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:30 pm

betiko wrote:

--------Here, in Michigan...The Last day of School was on Mar. Fri. 13th(ouch),2020....The Governor... Started shutdown...Mon.Mar.16th,2020...The City of Detroit cancelled the St. Patrick's Day Parade,do to The Governor's...orders...on Sunday Mar.15...The Parade is always Held the Sunday before St.Patrick's Day...If St.Patrick's Day fell on a Sunday...Then The Party would last 7 days in the Corktown Bars... ... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Major ConfederateSS

Postby betiko on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:16 am

jusplay4fun wrote:Population:

The entire country of Spain has a slightly larger population than the state of California. SO what? Spain's entire population is less than 15% of the US population. You totally missed my point. The USA is far larger land than Spain and therefore what is important in one state is not true of all states and therefore a NATIONAL policy on ALL things is not always the best or wisest choice.

Spain/Population
46.94 million (2019)

California
39.37 million people

USA
331 million people
The U.S. population today, at the start of 2020, numbers just over 331 million people

How is the vaccinations against COVID in Spain? and what about the number of death and cases in Spain regarding COVID? Honestly, I do not keep up with all that data as it little impact on me.

As far as autonomous regions of Spain: how about Galacia, Andalusia, Valencia, Aragon, Castille & La Mancha, and the area around Barcelona (whose name I cannot recall at the moment). You also have the Southern region north of Grenada, too. AND all that without looking up any information before posting here.

Like Duk, you want to assume that I am something I am not: I am not an ignorant American who has not travelled outside of the USA and am NOT also Xenophobic. You are both wrong on such assumptions. Comprende usted.?

oh well, I'll just give you an apology if you felt insulted.

regarding cases (I'm a frenchman living in spain by the way so I'll put other countries that are relevant to me)

cases per million as per today:
USA: 90,685
Spain: 68,318
UK: 62,573
France: 62,380
Italy: 53,617
Germany: 30,803

death per million as per today:
UK: 1,843
Italy: 1,697
USA: 1,649
Spain: 1,549
France: 1,388
Germany: 883

regarding Bill Cosby; it's actually doctor Hoextable not Bill Cosby on my picture. What looked like a funny face in the 80s now looks creepy as hell. I find it hilarious.
Why do you have a menacing viking on your avatar that raped and pillaged Europe? creepy (oops just noticed you changed it)
Major betiko

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:25 am

Yes, creepy now. Huxtable = Bill Cosby, since Cosby played that character on TV in his show.

And yes, I changed mine from a Viking about a year ago, maybe 9 months ago; I cannot recall the exact date. This is a website that embraces and glorifies war, right?

Thanks for the data; the rate (per capita) in the USA is comparable to much of Europe, as your data suggests.

And, apology accepted. Thanks for offering it.

betiko wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:Population:

Spain/Population
46.94 million (2019)

California
39.37 million people

USA
331 million people

oh well, I'll just give you an apology if you felt insulted.

regarding cases (I'm a frenchman living in spain by the way so I'll put other countries that are relevant to me)

cases per million as per today:
USA: 90,685
Spain: 68,318
UK: 62,573
France: 62,380
Italy: 53,617
Germany: 30,803

death per million as per today:
UK: 1,843
Italy: 1,697
USA: 1,649
Spain: 1,549
France: 1,388
Germany: 883

regarding Bill Cosby; it's actually doctor Hoextable not Bill Cosby on my picture. What looked like a funny face in the 80s now looks creepy as hell. I find it hilarious.
Why do you have a menacing viking on your avatar that raped and pillaged Europe? creepy (oops just noticed you changed it)
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am

Masks are not theater, Fauci tells Sen. Rand Paul in hearing exchange

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/18/politics ... index.html

(CNN) Dr. Anthony Fauci got into a contentious exchange with Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) Thursday over whether people should wear masks if they have recovered from Covid-19 or been vaccinated against it.

Paul, who says he has been infected with coronavirus and who pointedly refuses to wear a mask, attacked Fauci during a hearing of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.
"You're telling everybody to wear a mask, whether they've had an infection or a vaccine," Paul said to Fauci, who is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "If people that have had the vaccine or have had the infection ... if we're not spreading the infection, isn't it just theater?" Paul asked.
"Here we go again with the theater. Let's get down to the facts," Fauci replied. "Let me just state for the record that masks are not theater. Masks are protective."

I think part of the issue is causality (meaning here 100% odds) vs probability. Wearing a mask does not prevent COVID spread, but decreases THE ODDS one will get or spread COVID to another person. The actual decrease from 100% depends on other factors: distance, susceptibility, time in the air and time of exposure. The other person wearing a mask also reduces likelihood, too. Previous infection and the vaccine now enter those calculations of the ODDS.

SO Masks are NOT 100% effective, but can be highly to likely effective. And even the best masks, N95 ones, block 95% of germs and viruses and bacteria in the airborne particles.

So a person may NOT wear and mask and MAY not get COVID, but much of that is due to LUCK.

https://www.businessinsider.com/types-of-masks-used-for-coronavirus-outbreak-n95-surgical-2020-3

N95 respirator(disposable):
Can help protect healthcare workers from germs by blocking out at least 95% of small airborne particles — if worn correctly.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:27 am

Yeah, it's interesting people understand the concept of playing the odds when they're at the casino, but they seem to want to talk in absolutes when it come to health.

Avoiding disease, like anything else, is a game of compounding probabilities.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:10 am

I heard at one point (Before COVID) that medicine is still an ART and not a Science.

One big reason, I think, is that different people react and respond to differently to things, be they good or bad for health.

Not all smokers get lung cancer and not all jogger live or have better overall health.

Dukasaur wrote:Yeah, it's interesting people understand the concept of playing the odds when they're at the casino, but they seem to want to talk in absolutes when it come to health.

JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:53 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:I heard at one point (Before COVID) that medicine is still an ART and not a Science.

One big reason, I think, is that different people react and respond to differently to things, be they good or bad for health.

Not all smokers get lung cancer and not all jogger live or have better overall health.

Dukasaur wrote:Yeah, it's interesting people understand the concept of playing the odds when they're at the casino, but they seem to want to talk in absolutes when it come to health.

Not all of anything gets anything.

This is what people don't get. Everything is a game of compounding probabilities. Nothing is absolute.

Physicists like to sneer at applied and social sciences and call them the "fuzzy sciences", but nothing is fuzzier than physics. Where is an electron located? We don't know. All we can do is draw a fuzzy grey cloud and say there's an 85% chance that the electron is in there. Where in there, we don't know. Somewhere in there. If you do an experiment to find out if it's really there, it stops being there. Even if you could devise an experiment that didn't change the electron's trajectory (theoretically impossible, but let's grant the possibility for the sake of argument) you still would only have this big fuzzy region and no certainty of where in the region it is.

Take a bottle of vinegar. It's full of water and hydrogen acetate. 1% of the hydrogen acetate dissociates to form acetic acid. Which 1%? Can you point at a specific molecule of hydrogen acetate and say, "That one! That one will dissociate!" Of course not. Some of them will dissociate and the majority won't, and you don't know which ones.

Just as you can't point to a specific molecule of hydrogen acetate and say it will be the one to become acetic acid, you can't point at a specific smoker and say he will be the one to get lung cancer. Everything, but everything, is a matter of probabilities.

To say that something is not a science because it doesn't deal in absolutes betrays an utter lack of comprehension of the principles of science. No science deals in absolutes.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:50 am

If there is a major SHIFT in Science in the past 20 (or 50 or 100) years, it has been a shift away from absolutes and toward probabilities. That is true in Physics and Chemistry, and from what I know, Biology, too. There is an emphasis on teaching Biology with probabilities in ecological/environmental sciences.

I am not sure how long that shift will take to reach the understanding of most educated people. I have gotten to appreciate this aspect of Science in the past 20 years.

So I agree with Duk's assessment on this point.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 am

Okay, I will "pick" on Duk on this MINOR point:

Duk said:
Take a bottle of vinegar. It's full of water and hydrogen acetate. 1% of the hydrogen acetate dissociates to form acetic acid. Which 1%? Can you point at a specific molecule of hydrogen acetate and say, "That one! That one will dissociate!" Of course not. Some of them will dissociate and the majority won't, and you don't know which ones.

The extent of ionization or dissociation of acetic acid (hydrogen acetate) or any weak acid is measured by Ka, the ionization constant of a weak acid. That value for acetic acid is 1.8 x 10^-5, so it is less that 1%, which (based on my memory) is measured at 25 degrees Celsius. If my math is correct, that works out to 0.4% dissociation, so Duk was not off by MUCH, Well Done, Duk...! I had wrongly assumed that it was MUCH less than 1%.

HOWEVER, Duk's main point about probability anD not knowing WHICH specific molecules of the acid dissociates is still very valid. I think that he he used the 1% as a point of discussion.

supporting evidence:
As an example, glacial acetic acid has an acid dissociation constant of 1.75 x 10-5. A 10 M solution of acetic acid has a percent ionization of only 0.132 %. However, a 0.10 M solution has a percent ionization of 1.32 %.

https://chem.rutgers.edu/cldf-demos/1069-cldf-demo-percent-ionization#:~:text=Explanation%20of%20Experiment%3A&text=As%20an%20example%2C%20glacial%20acetic,a%20percent%20ionization%20of%201.32%20%25.

Note that glacial acetic acid is concentrated, not dilute as most acetic acid will be in most situations.

Glacial acetic acid is a name for water-free (anhydrous) acetic acid. Similar to the German name Eisessig (ice vinegar), the name comes from the ice-like crystals that form slightly below room temperature at 16.6 °C (61.9 °F) (the presence of 0.1% water lowers its melting point by 0.2 °C).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid#Nomenclature

An interesting "symmetry" to me as that the classic example of the dissociation of a weak base (opposite, chemically, to an acid) is ammonia, NH3, and its Kb is the same numerical value; Kb = 1.8 x 10^-5.
Last edited by jusplay4fun on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:25 am

jusplay4fun wrote:Okay, I will "pick" on Duk on this MINOR point:

Duk said:

The extent of ionization or dissociation of acetic acid (hydrogen acetate) or any weak acid is measured by Ka, the ionization constant of a weak acid. That value for acetic acid is 1.8 x 10^-5, so it is less that 1%, which (based on my memory) is measured at 25 degrees Celsius. If my math is correct, that works out to 0.4% dissociation, so Duk was not off by MUCH, Well Done, Duk...! I had wrongly assumed that it was MUCH less than 1%.

HOWEVER, Duk's main point about probability an not knowing WHICH specific molecules of the acid dissociates is still very valid. I think that he he used the 1% as a point of discussion.

Yes.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:05 am

The famous debate between Einstein and Bohr:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr%E2%80%93Einstein_debates#Bohr's_response

The Bohr–Einstein debates were a series of public disputes about quantum mechanics between Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr. Their debates are remembered because of their importance to the philosophy of science, since the disagreements and the outcome of Bohr's version of quantum mechanics that became the prevalent view form the root of the modern understanding of physics.[1] Most of Bohr's version of the events held in Solvay in 1927 and other places was first written by Bohr decades later in an article titled, "Discussions with Einstein on Epistemological Problems in Atomic Physics".[2][3] Based on the article, the philosophical issue of the debate was whether Bohr's Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum mechanics, which centered on his belief of complementarity, was valid in explaining nature.[4] Despite their differences of opinion and the succeeding discoveries that helped solidify quantum mechanics, Bohr and Einstein maintained a mutual admiration that was to last the rest of their lives.[5][6]

Einstein, Bohr and the war over quantum theory

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03793-2#:~:text=Whereas%20Bohr%20proposed%20that%20entities,God%20does%20not%20play%20dice%E2%80%9D.

What Is Real?: The Unfinished Quest for the Meaning of Quantum Physics Adam Becker Basic: 2018.

All hell broke loose in physics some 90 years ago. Quantum theory emerged — partly in heated clashes between Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr. It posed a challenge to the very nature of science, and arguably continues to do so, by severely straining the relationship between theory and the nature of reality. Adam Becker, a science writer and astrophysicist, explores this tangled tale in What Is Real?.

Whereas Bohr proposed that entities (such as electrons) had only probabilities if they weren’t observed, Einstein argued that they had independent reality, prompting his famous claim that “God does not play dice”. Years later, he added a gloss: “What we call science has the sole purpose of determining what is.” Suddenly, scientific realism — the idea that confirmed scientific theories roughly reflect reality — was at stake.

Quantum phenomena were phenomenally baffling to many. First was wave–particle duality, in which light can act as particles and particles such as electrons interfere like light waves. According to Bohr, a system behaves as a wave or a particle depending on context, but you cannot predict which it will do.

Second, Heisenberg showed that uncertainty, for instance about a particle’s position and momentum, is hard-wired into physics. Third, Bohr argued that we could have only probabilistic knowledge of a system: in Schrödinger’s thought experiment, a cat in a box is both dead and alive until it is seen. Fourth, particles can become entangled. For example, two particles might have opposite spins, no matter how far apart they are: if you measure one to be spin up, you instantly know that the other is spin down. (Einstein called this “spooky action at a distance”.)

SKIP to.....

Thus, the Solvay Conference can be seen as a stand-off between two mathematically equivalent but fundamentally different paradigms: Bohr’s instrumentalist view of quantum physics and Einstein’s realist one. In science, a dominant paradigm determines which experiments are done, how they’re interpreted and what kind of path a research programme follows.

and more....The FULL Paragraph for above quote

Becker lingers on the 1927 Solvay Conference in Brussels, where 29 brilliant scientists gathered to discuss the fledgling quantum theory. Here, the disagreements between Bohr, Einstein and others, including Erwin Schrödinger and Louis de Broglie, came to a head. Whereas Bohr proposed that entities (such as electrons) had only probabilities if they weren’t observed, Einstein argued that they had independent reality, prompting his famous claim that “God does not play dice”. Years later, he added a gloss: “What we call science has the sole purpose of determining what is.” Suddenly, scientific realism — the idea that confirmed scientific theories roughly reflect reality — was at stake.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:13 pm

Anyone want to make predictions?

So I want to know:

1) When can we stop wearing Masks? (this is one of my biggest COMPLAINTS about this situation)

2) When does social distancing end?

3) We do we open up so there are NO RESTRICTIONS on business AT ALL?

4) When can we return to social gatherings with NO Restrictions?

5) OVERALL, when do we return to NORMAL?

For all these, when do Governors and other political leaders say these things end? And when do health leaders say the same? It is likely when political and health leaders agree that this will allow ALL THIS to end without real controversy.

IF not soon, I may have to find a signature where all my Guys and Gals are wearing Masks..... :D
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:17 pm

Feels like you are asking too many question at once... what does 'when can we stop wearing masks' is kinda bloated and loaded as a question. do you mean legally? Morally/ethically? Do you mean everyone, or young, or old or???

If there is a responsible overarching answer to all of these its " When the pandemic is over" as in... cases globally only going down... everywhere. Because as safe as you might be feeling now, rest assured India is shitting themselves today. It's only a matter of time until an outbreak circles backs in the USA somewhere, to the point where they start running out of beds again at hospitals. We have the means to end that with the vaccine, but it requires that people actually take it... only time will tell if that threshold is actually being met.

jusplay4fun wrote:Anyone want to make predictions?

So I want to know:

1) When can we stop wearing Masks? (this is one of my biggest COMPLAINTS about this situation)

2) When does social distancing end?

3) We do we open up so there are NO RESTRICTIONS on business AT ALL?

4) When can we return to social gatherings with NO Restrictions?

5) OVERALL, when do we return to NORMAL?

For all these, when do Governors and other political leaders say these things end? And when do health leaders say the same? It is likely when political and health leaders agree that this will allow ALL THIS to end without real controversy.

IF not soon, I may have to find a signature where all my Guys and Gals are wearing Masks..... :D
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:43 pm

By early summer things will be mostly back to normal. Not entirely, but mostly.

The vaccination programs are barreling along, and respiratory viruses always drop off in the summer due to more heat/ more sunlight/ less time spent indoors. When increasing immunities (both from vaccination and from people who have already had the disease and have recovered) intersect with the normal seasonal decline in viral spread, the disease will be pretty much beaten (in the rich countries, anyway) and most restrictions should be lifted. Plus, there are symbolically important national festivals there (July 1st in Canada, July 4th in the U.S., July 14th in France, July 6th in Denmark, etc., etc., quite a few others) which will create extra political incentive to have everything re-opened by then. Probably not ALL restrictions lifted, but enough that things will be essentially, as you say it, normal.

I'm surprised to hear you say that masks are your biggest complaint. To me, masks are probably my most trivial complaint. I spend 12 hours a day wearing hard hat, safety boots, and reflective coveralls, about 12 pounds of safety gear altogether. Walking around in safety boots is exhausting. Not only do they add 6 or 7 pounds to my weight, but their inflexibility changes the natural gait and makes it more tiring. Adding a little paper mask that doesn't weigh an ounce seems like an incredibly trivial inconvenience compared to my normal PPE. I guess if you're some kind of office worker that doesn't normally have to wear any PPE at all, you might find it an inconvenience. Walk a mile in my boots and you'll feel a lot better about a silly little paper mask. I seriously can't imagine that being a major complaint. It blows my mind how many people spazz out about the masks. A whole box of 50 masks weighs less than my hard hat. Literally, a whole box of 50 masks weighs less than my hard hat.

My major complaints with the restrictions has been the fact that the hospitals are sealed off and not allowing visitors. My wife has been hospitalized three times in the last year, each time with zero visitors. For a social person like her, being cut off from her friends and family is like torture. She might as well be in jail. It's even worse for people who are dying. Not wanting to die alone is pretty much one of the defining characteristics of humans. Must be horrific for those who die in an isolation ward. That, to me, is a serious complaint about the restrictions.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 am

Well said, Duk.

BTW, now that we're back in nasty allergy season, I actually find that wearing a mask lessens the symptoms. I bought medical grade masks a couple of years ago when I needed to do some gardening/weeding (not normally my job, but Mrs thecurl was away and we were trying to get that house in decent order as the lease was running out). It was the only way I could do that sorta stuff for more than about 20 minutes.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,