Conquer Club

One year ago, March 2020

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: One year ago, March 2020

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:04 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:Chart for total global population over time (as opposed to event specific fertility rate chart posted earlier)

https://ourworldindata.org/world-population-growth

since 1950, steady population growth. You can talk about fertility rates dropping in rich countries all you want, but let's be real - global population continues to rise today and is not/has not been 'leveling off'. Population has been rising by 1 billion people every 12-13 years for the last 70 years. The world hit it's 'carrying capacity' for humans a long time ago, and technology is the only thing that has prevented a great reckoning, and that has come at a cost (people living closer together in smaller housing, relying on massive food distribution/meatpacking/farming systems that promote disease spread in plant/animals/humans, climate change, toxic spills/scorched earth areas are a few examples). If rich nations take their foot off the gas on future investment in technology there is absolutely a chance we will no longer be able to keep pace with the new problems created by our solutions to old problems. The argument that 'birthrates go lower when countries get richer' basically just ignores all if this and promises that things will fix themselves in the rich places.

So, Mookie, basically you agree with ConfSS?

(on this point?)
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:33 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:Chart for total global population over time (as opposed to event specific fertility rate chart posted earlier)

https://ourworldindata.org/world-population-growth

since 1950, steady population growth. You can talk about fertility rates dropping in rich countries all you want, but let's be real - global population continues to rise today and is not/has not been 'leveling off'. Population has been rising by 1 billion people every 12-13 years for the last 70 years. The world hit it's 'carrying capacity' for humans a long time ago, and technology is the only thing that has prevented a great reckoning, and that has come at a cost (people living closer together in smaller housing, relying on massive food distribution/meatpacking/farming systems that promote disease spread in plant/animals/humans, climate change, toxic spills/scorched earth areas are a few examples). If rich nations take their foot off the gas on future investment in technology there is absolutely a chance we will no longer be able to keep pace with the new problems created by our solutions to old problems. The argument that 'birthrates go lower when countries get richer' basically just ignores all if this and promises that things will fix themselves in the rich places.

So, Mookie, basically you agree with ConfSS?

(on this point?)

I think I made my opinion clear, saying I 'agree with Confed' isn't accurate. As I said before, imo overpopulation is this is the largest philosophical quandary the world and it's gov'ts and citizens have in front of it in this century. I DO NOT agree with the idea that overpopulation will just work itself out, because everyone will get rich enough they won't want to have more than 2.3 kids per couple. I used to, but now I think that is naive.... I also don't agree that China is trying to force WWIII and wants to wipe the world out with biological and chemical weapons. I think that's reductive and naive. I don't agree with the idea we'd have 30 billion people if it hadn't been for WWII deaths (that just isn't how things work). So no, I guess i don't agree with anyone that has posted here.

I do believe the options for controlling/limiting global population all suck ass, and there simply won't be ever be consensus in the most overpopulated countries on managing it so they will do nothing. I do believe 'disagreements' over issues like clean water will lead to more wars and life generally sucking in those parts of the world.
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 pm

I think this supports most of what I have stated so far in this thread:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth

The 2019 forecast from the United Nation's Population Division (made before the COVID-19 pandemic) shows that world population growth peaked at 2.1% per year in 1968, has since dropped to 1.1%, and could drop even further to 0.1% by 2100, a growth rate not seen since pre-industrial revolution days.[4] Based on this, the UN Population Division expects world population, currently (2020) at 7.8 billion, to level out at or soon after the end of the 21st Century at 10.9 billion (the median line),[5][6] assuming a continuing decrease in the global average fertility rate from 2.5 births per woman during the 2015–2020 period to 1.9 in 2095–2100, according to the medium-variant projection.[7]About two thirds of the predicted growth in population between 2020 and 2050 will take place in Africa.

This includes some interesting graphs, including one that shows the uncertainty of making such predictions.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Sat May 01, 2021 3:55 am

jusplay4fun wrote:I think this supports most of what I have stated so far in this thread:

The 2019 forecast from the United Nation's Population Division (made before the COVID-19 pandemic) shows that world population growth peaked at 2.1% per year in 1968, has since dropped to 1.1%, and could drop even further to 0.1% by 2100, a growth rate not seen since pre-industrial revolution days.[4] Based on this, the UN Population Division expects world population, currently (2020) at 7.8 billion, to level out at or soon after the end of the 21st Century at 10.9 billion (the median line),[5][6] assuming a continuing decrease in the global average fertility rate from 2.5 births per woman during the 2015–2020 period to 1.9 in 2095–2100, according to the medium-variant projection.[7]About two thirds of the predicted growth in population between 2020 and 2050 will take place in Africa.

This includes some interesting graphs, including one that shows the uncertainty of making such predictions.

Yes, it's hard to predict the future. So estimate for 2100 mean is around 11b, but estimates ranging from 8b (basically now level) all the way up to 16 billion DOUBLE todays population on earth. That ain't small potatoes in a world that already seems to be stretching it's resources. We won't feel it as much in N. America, but much of the world will (in my opinion).

As a side note, I also found it interesting Nigeria is set to pass USA to take the number 3 spot in total population by 2050. I did not realize how large that country was.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat May 01, 2021 5:50 am

jusplay4fun wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:----------I am not continuing the quote...So, ....False DUK...WAR does effect the population of Earth....Without World WAR 2....Where 71 million people died....Worldwide.......Without World War 2 's death toll.....All those people would have had kids(I know mostly all)

Here's a graph of the British birth rate over time from 1800 to 1940. Notice how the birth rate crashed during World War I? Notice how after the war, there was a spike in births that brought the overall rate much higher than it had been before the war? Yes, people had fewer babies during the war, and of course the dead ones didn't have any at all after the war, but the live ones picked up their reproductive pace and made up for it. Just like any other war, within one generation the loss had been completely compensated for.

---------I know...Like I said, That is what was happening in France....They saw that they would not be able to keep up with man power with Germany in the coming years after 1919....
----------In the 21st cen.A.D...it is what is happening Globally....Not one country here or There......Yes in most 1st world countries....The birthrates are low.....But the Majority of the Planet is 2 nd and 3 rd World countries...where the birth rates...are exploding...Then they move to 1 st world countries..... Humanity might not make it to the 22nd Cen.A.D....No water,land...for 20 billion and beyond.... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:) ...But hey,Go!Green!...at least the cockroaches and sharks will be around to enjoy a cleaner Earth...Like they have been doing,even back when they were hanging out with the Dinosaurs....:)

That is a VERY PESSIMISTIC view, ConfSS. I disagree. Certainly Malthus and his contemporaries had no idea that The PILL, the Haber Process, machinery, and better seeds (and much higher yields of crops) would radically change things, causing his projection of arithmetic growth of agricultural production to be fundamentally wrong. Birth Control Pills obviously change the population growth rates and thus render his projection of population growth to be fundamentally flawed.

Malthus' projection is why economics is often called (then) the DISMAL Science.

ConfSS, you and I will not be around to see if your predictions come true or not. We may be approaching the upper limit of the total number of humans that this planet can support, but the Goalposts are NOT FIXED. Sciences (as well as technology and medicine) change the ability of human to cope with and handle the challenges of the future.

-------You think we won't be around....But as the USA LEFT Led America,and the rest of the world bowing before China...As China has set forth a plan for Global dominance in the coming years...Ww3 is not far off...They are well on their way...When real leaders get back in power in The 1st world countries,they will try and turn China's dominance around.......Not to mention the lack of the belief in a higher person upstairs...The I deserve everything generation...America's Left has raised...they don't even believe in making money through hard work....They just expect to be giving everything.... Millennials :roll: ...... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:) ...I think we have a good front row seat...In the final days....Breakout the popcorn ...and...Buckle up...it is going to be a bumpy ride...:)
-------- Not The China/power grab......But as far as Population growth....Sounds like you are speaking my language Mookie :):):)....
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun May 02, 2021 4:16 am

Part of the reason for high birthrate(s) in Africa are, in my view:

1) lack of access to birth control;
2) lack of education for women;
3) agrarian or subsistence economies;
4) high infant mortality (needs for lots of children as few survive to become adult);
5) tradition, as in, "that is the way we have always done it"
6) other possible reasons I cannot think of at the moment. (I started with two reasons and, as I think about this matter, I now have five and the realization and starting that I am not an expert on the matter.

How the future plays out in regards to the first two reasons given, we have to wait and see. But, as already noted, as women gain access to education and birth control, birth rates have dropped in many (or nearly all) areas of the world. I am curious what is happening in India, but parts are getting "educated" and parts are still living as they did 50+ (or even 100+) years ago with little of 1) and 2). India is a large and diverse country with lots of poverty. Africa is even more diverse and has many areas or nations of poverty. Therefore, generalizing as to reasons is not easy.

As for reason 3, as fewer workers are needed on the farm, there is less pressure for more children to help support the family. A large family is/was seen as an insurance against (or even a sign of means to avoid) abject poverty.

Reason 4 should be obvious. Reason 5 is the resistance to change, or what I call "Social Inertia".

Reason 6) says not only I am not an expert, but that I have not done research for this specific post. I am synthesizing things that I have read over many years on population rates and growth.

mookiemcgee wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:I think this supports most of what I have stated so far in this thread:

Yes, it's hard to predict the future. So estimate for 2100 mean is around 11b, but estimates ranging from 8b (basically now level) all the way up to 16 billion DOUBLE todays population on earth. That ain't small potatoes in a world that already seems to be stretching it's resources. We won't feel it as much in N. America, but much of the world will (in my opinion).

As a side note, I also found it interesting Nigeria is set to pass USA to take the number 3 spot in total population by 2050. I did not realize how large that country was.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun May 02, 2021 4:26 am

It is interesting how this thread has now turned into a discussion of population growth.

In the meantime, things are beginning to feel like last summer (2020) where things are opening up. I hope we avoid the repeat of the Fall of 2020, where the number of cases and deaths due to COVID started to climb. The vaccine should change the dynamics as more get the vaccine. The key is to get to "Herd Immunity" and that means getting the reluctant 40% or so to get the vaccine. I think there is some 15-20% who will not get it, no matter what.

The hope is that we are indeed getting back to normal. Lately, I have
1) stopped wiping desks in my classroom (or more accurately, i am having my students do so less frequently);
2) felt the urge even more to stop wearing masks.

If I am in a small gathering, I have asked if we are all vaccinated and off comes the masks.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:27 pm

Yes, things in the USA are "Opening up" as things return to ALMOST normal in many ways.

I carry my mask with me, JUS in case I am asked to put it on. Many places say (usually via a SIGN on the door) that masks are not needed if one is fully vaccinated. YES..! I am fully vaccinated and so are most people I associate with frequently. Most retail stores do not require masks. I do see a few with masks on, and I have no problem with that. There is a woman who helps at the Food Pantry (Food Bank) at which I volunteer who is NOT vaccinated, due to her battle with cancer, so I wear my mask when she is there, to help her.

Children at school are not vaccinated, so I kept my mask nearby or on when around students. BUT NOW school is OUT for the SUMMER..!

There are many events and many states FULLY OPEN..! YES..! There was a FULL crowd at NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs on TV, except in Canada.

I realize that the rest of the world may not have access to vaccines, as we have in the USA. I am glad that President Biden has made vaccines available to other nations in the world, especially poor nations. I think this is a big push at the G-7 Summit in the UK this weekend to get COVID vaccines available to more nations and more people. (I am confident that Trump would have made the same offer and arrangements if he had been re-elected.)

OVERALL, I am glad to see things getting better and returning to normal in the USA. I wish the same for the rest of the world, too.

JP4Fun
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:28 pm

My concern regarding COVID is that we (in the USA, at least) will see another spike in case NEARLY ALL among those UNVACCINATED. The Delta Variant is getting the most attention at this time as it is highly contagious, more so than other variants, it seems.

How this this will impact the population overall is uncertain. My wife was talking about wearing her mask again in public. I told her that, based on what I read and hear via media, that those of US VACCINATED should NOT need masks, but that they MAY provide another layer of protection from COVID.

One set of data that I am interested in is seeing is how many cases track toward the end of July and see if the July 4 holiday spreads the COVID even more than normal. These spikes have occurred after many holidays in the USA, due to people travelling and congregating with many others (Family, Friends, and even random people at some functions).
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:44 pm

Well, we were normal, ALMOST, then the Delta Variant struck and we are going back to masks and some shut downs. The number of COVID cases among CHILDREN has greatly increased in the past week or two. One in four new cases are among children.

President Biden ordered things to be done and offered a plan to get more people vaccinated. I was told that saxi was at the top of the list to get his vaccine tomorrow, since he loves President Biden SO MUCH. saxi now fears that his ED may be made permanent by COVID.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:About one year ago, the USA went into a major shut-down for 2 weeks (15 days) to "flatten the curve." That has become a nearly year long shut down in most of the USA.

We are finally significant easing restrictions in some states, such as Texas, Florida, and Mississippi. (There was some easing in the summer, but that did not last.) In Virginia, there are some easing of a few restrictions, but masks and social distancing is still the expectations and the RULE.

How are restrictions going where you are?

Have restrictions been effective?

How soon do we "Return to Normal"?

I live in Washington.

As long as the bars stay open until 2am, could give a f*ck less about restrictions.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?

No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.

Whoosh
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:57 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:About one year ago, the USA went into a major shut-down for 2 weeks (15 days) to "flatten the curve." That has become a nearly year long shut down in most of the USA.

We are finally significant easing restrictions in some states, such as Texas, Florida, and Mississippi. (There was some easing in the summer, but that did not last.) In Virginia, there are some easing of a few restrictions, but masks and social distancing is still the expectations and the RULE.

I live in Washington.

As long as the bars stay open until 2am, could give a f*ck less about restrictions.

You continue to DAZZLE and impress everyone with brilliant, funny, articulate and cogent analyses and commentary, DDS. Try to keep it up.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:07 am

I knw that I could post this in other threads, but I will do so here.

The US Congress again waits UNTIL A CRISES moment to act on very important matters of Federal Budget and the US Economy. This shows the:

1) stupidity and incompetence of our elected so-call "leaders" who are more concerned with perceptions and on getting re-elected.

2) the impacts of the divisiveness and polarization of American Politics. We cannot sit and talk and work out COMPROMISE and we need to use a CRISES and DEADLINES to get things done.

3) the American public is complicit in that they tend to elect partisans and not those who take a more pragmatic and level-headed persons who think that a balanced budget is more important than PORK in the budget that benefits their local community. Fewer politicians are elected whose main concern is the country as a whole. as the UNITED STATES of America, the USA. They often elect RABID partisans and extremists like Rashida Harbi Tlaib and Marjorie Taylor Greene

4) The Crises is the RISK of defaulting on the US DEBT, A HUGE matter. The consequence RISKS the ENTIRE US Economy and the stupid politicians are letting this happen. They cannot work out a budget or even parts of a budget. We have used continuing resolutions to fund major parts of the budget because politicians cannot sit down long enough to TALK and work out a compromise.

5) We in the USA and in the US Congress are playing with fire. To default on the Federal Budget will really harm the USA. The impacts of such inaction will be horrific on interest rates, the stock market, and payments on the debt. The house of cards, built on top of massive budget deficits, the printing of money, and the MASSIVE spending by deficits by ALL politicians, Republicans and Trump included. The liberal Democrats now controlling the House are showing their lack of comprehension of basic Economics. You cannot keep spending like "drunken sailors" forever and not face serious repercussions.

6) I think Duk said it another thread about the deficit spending tendencies of US Presidents since George W. Bush (the son, #43).
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=235377&start=275

See also:
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=235856&hilit=infrastructure&start=25

7) In that same thread, it was discussed that President Clinton was the last POTUS to have a balanced budget. What I think occurred is that the budget deals worked out by the presidential aide (to President George H. W. Bush, the father, #41) Richard Darman, caused the need to raise taxes and then President Bush had to go back on his word to NOT raise taxes. Most of the benefits to the Budget and the Economy would not come to FRUITION until years later and President Clinton benefits from those deals and get credit for balancing the budget. The foundation for ALL that was laid down years earlier under President Bush.

8 ) Biden buries these points about his LARGE BILL ($3.5 Trillion, I THINK, as I have yet to read at this website the final price tag)
Upgrade child care facilities and build new supply in high need areas. Lack of access to child care makes it harder for parents, especially mothers, to fully participate in the workforce. In areas with the greatest shortage of child care slots, women’s labor force participation is about three percentage points less than in areas with a high capacity of child care slots, hurting families and hindering U.S. growth and competitiveness. President Biden is calling on Congress to provide $25 billion to help upgrade child care facilities and increase the supply of child care in areas that need it most

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/03/31/fact-sheet-the-american-jobs-plan/

Liberal Democrats want to now make Child-Care a basic RIGHT funded by the Federal Government. OF COURSE we have SO MUCH MONEY to spend on such things. The consequence is that my daughter has to pay for the childcare of her daughter AND the childcare of others. And this will be PAID by her and her daughter for years as INTEREST on the added deficit. Biden CLAIMS this will be paid by ONLY Wealthy Americans and corporate taxes. This is UNLIKELY; this is merely political rhetoric. The actual result will be paid by mostly middle-class folks like I am and like my children are.

9) from the same source above:
Establish the United States as a leader in climate science, innovation, and R&D. The President is calling on Congress to invest $35 billion in the full range of solutions needed to achieve technology breakthroughs that address the climate crisis and position America as the global leader in clean energy technology and clean energy jobs. This includes launching ARPA-C to develop new methods for reducing emissions and building climate resilience, as well as expanding across-the-board funding for climate research. In addition to a $5 billion increase in funding for other climate-focused research, his plan will invest $15 billion in demonstration projects for climate R&D priorities, including utility-scale energy storage, carbon capture and storage, hydrogen, advanced nuclear, rare earth element separations, floating offshore wind, biofuel/bioproducts, quantum computing, and electric vehicles, as well as strengthening U.S. technological leadership in these areas in global markets.

10) I got to the end of the White House document (references above) and find no discussion of how to fund ALL this. Yes, there is discussion of closing "loopholes" in corporate taxes. Maybe I missed where there are numbers and actual mechanism to raise funds (taxes) to pay for ALL THIS SOCIAL Spending. What I read in a cursory manner does not meet my definition of a real plan to PAY for ALL THIS SPENDING on social engineering and/or social welfare.

11) Raising corporate taxes means that in actuality that corporations will raise prices for their goods and services and that is how they pay the increased corporate taxes. BOTTOM LINE: the middle class pays for a HUGE tax increase.
Last edited by jusplay4fun on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby riskllama on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:33 pm

get your shit together, 'murica... :roll:
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:41 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
DirtyDishSoap wrote:

I live in Washington.

You continue to DAZZLE and impress everyone with brilliant, funny, articulate and cogent analyses and commentary, DDS. Try to keep it up.

Thanks JP. I won't let you guys down.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:

Whoosh

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:28 am

Getting there; #1 of 4 major bills to pass.

#2 & 3 deal with the actual infrastructure and (3) the $3.5 TRILLION social "infrastructure" or welfare bill

#4 is raising the ceiling on the Federal debt, likely needed to be done before or by Oct. 18.

btw: the $3.5 TRILLION bill, that I already referenced to the White House website and information, includes lots of money for Climate Control and Child Care.

Sen. Manchin correctly raised the need for fiscal responsibility, citing the need to fix (i.e., adequately funding) Medicare and Social Security. He basically said that $3.5 TRILLION is TOO expensive and is willing to consider about $1.5 TRILLION for some of these matters. The Liberal Democrats in the House (mostly) want it ALL, the smaller 1.2 Trillion actual infrastructure and the MASSIVE $3.5 TRILLION bill too and many moderate House Democrats say that this is TOO EXPENSIVE.

'We are not there yet': Vote on infrastructure bill delayed as Biden budget negotiations drag
Bart Jansen, Savannah Behrmann, Rick Rouan, Joey Garrison
USA TODAY

WASHINGTON – The House delayed a vote Thursday on a $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill as negotiations continue on separate legislation with President Joe Biden's social welfare priorities.

They said the officials and aides are working on language that could bring Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona on board.

The negotiations capped a busy day in the nation's capital. Congress passed a separate piece of legislation Thursday to avert a government shutdown hours before a midnight deadline. The chambers approved the measure that funds the government through Dec. 3, sending the bill to Biden for his signature.

“But we are not there yet, and so, we will need some additional time to finish the work, starting tomorrow morning first thing.”

Late into the night, White House officials negotiated with moderate Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., who have opposed the price tag of Biden’s $3.5 trillion budget reconciliation plan. Without its passage, progressive House Democrats vowed to vote down the infrastructure bill.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/09/30/congress-government-funding-averting-shutdown-infrastructure/5927545001/

The bipartisan infrastructure vote has been delayed. Here's a recap of how today's negotiations unfolded.
From CNN's Alex Rogers, Melanie Zanona and Daniella Diaz

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ruled against putting a $1 trillion infrastructure bill on the floor Thursday night, according to a leadership aide, after progressives rebelled, potentially delaying consideration until Democrats strike an agreement on a separate, much larger social safety net and climate legislation.

Pelosi's decision came after hours of intense negotiations, including a call with President Biden and a crush of meetings and calls with members of the House Democratic caucus.

The progressives' stance today: Liberal Democrats were confident this week that they had the numbers to block the bill, which would spend hundreds of billions of dollars upgrading roads, bridges, transit, rail, broadband, airports, ports and waterways.

They hope their hardball tactics would push moderates to support their top priority: a $3.5 trillion bill known as the Build Back Better Act. That legislation would expand the child tax credit and Medicare's ability to cover vision, hearing and dental care, fund community college and universal pre-kindergarten initiatives, combat climate change, and fund elder care and paid leave programs. The $3.5 trillion bill would be paid for, at least in part, by tax increases primarily on corporations and the wealthy.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders told CNN that the infrastructure deal should be "defeated" and railed against Pelosi's late-night deal-making effort.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-congress-infrastructure-vote-09-30-21/index.html
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:29 am

riskllama wrote:get your shit together, 'murica... :roll:

I agree, Llama
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:48 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:

I agree, Llama

A friend of mine, when he was thirteen years old he heard about "pegging." This is when a guy gets banged up the butt with a dildo. Stimulate the prostate gland hard enough, and the rumor is you can have explosive hands-free orgasms. At that age, this friend's a little sex maniac. He's always jonesing for a better way to get his rocks off. He goes out to buy a carrot and some petroleum jelly. To conduct a little private research. Then he pictures how it's going to look at the supermarket checkstand, the lonely carrot and petroleum jelly rolling down the conveyer belt toward the grocery store cashier. All the shoppers waiting in line, watching. Everyone seeing the big evening he has planned.

So, my friend, he buys milk and eggs and sugar and a carrot, all the ingredients for a carrot cake. And Vaseline.

Like he's going home to stick a carrot cake up his butt.

At home, he whittles the carrot into a blunt tool. He slathers it with grease and grinds his ass down on it. Then, nothing. No orgasm. Nothing happens except it hurts.

Then, this kid, his mom yells it's suppertime. She says to come down, right now.

He works the carrot out and stashes the slippery, filthy thing in the dirty clothes under his bed.

After dinner, he goes to find the carrot and it's gone. All his dirty clothes, while he ate dinner, his mom grabbed them all to do laundry. No way could she not find the carrot, carefully shaped with a paring knife from her kitchen, still shiny with lube and stinky.

This friend of mine, he waits months under a black cloud, waiting for his folks to confront him. And they never do. Ever. Even now he's grown up, that invisible carrot hangs over every Christmas dinner, every birthday party. Every Easter egg hunt with his kids, his parents' grandkids, that ghost carrot is hovering over all of them.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:

Whoosh

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:06 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

I agree, Llama

A friend of mine, when he was thirteen years old he heard about "pegging." This is when a guy gets banged up the butt with a dildo. Stimulate the prostate gland hard enough, and the rumor is you can have explosive hands-free orgasms. At that age, this friend's a little sex maniac. He's always jonesing for a better way to get his rocks off. He goes out to buy a carrot and some petroleum jelly. To conduct a little private research. Then he pictures how it's going to look at the supermarket checkstand, the lonely carrot and petroleum jelly rolling down the conveyer belt toward the grocery store cashier. All the shoppers waiting in line, watching. Everyone seeing the big evening he has planned.

So, my friend, he buys milk and eggs and sugar and a carrot, all the ingredients for a carrot cake. And Vaseline.

Like he's going home to stick a carrot cake up his butt.

At home, he whittles the carrot into a blunt tool. He slathers it with grease and grinds his ass down on it. Then, nothing. No orgasm. Nothing happens except it hurts.

Then, this kid, his mom yells it's suppertime. She says to come down, right now.

He works the carrot out and stashes the slippery, filthy thing in the dirty clothes under his bed.

After dinner, he goes to find the carrot and it's gone. All his dirty clothes, while he ate dinner, his mom grabbed them all to do laundry. No way could she not find the carrot, carefully shaped with a paring knife from her kitchen, still shiny with lube and stinky.

This friend of mine, he waits months under a black cloud, waiting for his folks to confront him. And they never do. Ever. Even now he's grown up, that invisible carrot hangs over every Christmas dinner, every birthday party. Every Easter egg hunt with his kids, his parents' grandkids, that ghost carrot is hovering over all of them.

Such a disappointing story on multiple levels. No climax to be found anywhere. Sounds like he should have tried with an eggplant to me.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:11 pm

I, on the other hand, think it's worthy of Edgar Allan Poe.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:31 pm

According to the NYTimes, Data trends (in the USA) all show a decline in :

cases, deaths due to COVID, and hospitalizations, OVERALL

There are "hotspots" locally. I saw where Alaska is now hit hard by LOTS of hospitalizations due to COVID.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:46 pm

Meanwhile, Norway, Denmark and Sweden have lifted all restrictions, with record low COVID deaths and infections.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:

Whoosh

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:04 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Meanwhile, Norway, Denmark and Sweden have lifted all restrictions, with record low COVID deaths and infections.

How did these nations achieve this?

I find that Norway has:

Vaccination
Norway has administered at least 7,831,287 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 73.2% of the country’s population.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/norway/

Regarding Sweden:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/aug/06/steve-deace/swedens-low-covid-19-death-tally-july-ignores-othe/
Steve Deace
stated on August 2, 2021 in a Facebook post:
Sweden had few COVID deaths in July, despite low vaccination rates, relaxed lockdown rules and low mask compliance.

Sweden’s low COVID-19 death tally in July ignores other markers of pandemic’s toll

From the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, Sweden made itself a compelling case study, forgoing lockdowns and mandates, keeping its society largely open — and prompting claims that it was faring better with COVID-19 than the United States.

Early on, we found such statements were overstated. Now, nearly a year and a half later, as the virus’ delta variant spikes cases, the claims have reemerged.

How Sweden is different
In contrast to some of its neighbors and the U.S., Sweden’s society has remained largely open during the pandemic, as the government responded mostly with guidelines, not stay-at-home orders and quarantines. Masks generally were not recommended.

In April 2020, in the weeks after the outbreak was declared a pandemic, we looked at two claims that touted Sweden’s more hands-off approach as superior to lockdown policies imposed in Europe and the U.S. We found that infection rate cited in one of these claims was not a reliable indicator of how a country was doing, given that it depended on how much testing was being done; and that Sweden’s COVID-19 death rate was higher than two of its neighbors.

As of Aug. 4, 42% of Sweden’s population was fully vaccinated; that compares with 49% in the U.S. and 50% in the EU, according to Our World in Data. Sweden’s guidelines emphasize staying at home, testing, hand washing and social distancing.

We found Sweden’s COVID-19 death counts for July 2021 a bit higher than the nine the post claims. Sweden had a cumulative 14,630 COVID-19 deaths as of July 1, 2021, and 14,655 on July 31 — an increase of 25, according to Our World in Data.

How the post is misleading
The post looks at deaths only for July 2021. But Sweden has seen wide variations in its COVID-19 caseloads and death toll since last year.

By April 2021, there were signs that Sweden’s approach had flaws. At that point, the New Yorker reported, Sweden’s per-capita case counts and death rates were many times higher than any of its Nordic neighbors, all of which imposed lockdowns, travel bans and limited gatherings early on.

The latest figures show Sweden’s COVID-19 death rate is lower than in the European Union and the U.S. — but it has more than doubled in the past 10 months.

There is a graph at the URL cited for Sweden that shows trends and is a good data Summary, comparing Sweden with the rest of the EU and the USA.

Denmark:

case study below, from May 2021, as I recall:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7217796/

Denmark
12% of peak and rising

52 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days

Updated 11:57 PM EDT

COVID-19 infections are increasing in Denmark, with 437 new infections reported on average each day. That’s 12% of the peak — the highest daily average reported on December 17.

There have been 360,888 infections and 2,664 coronavirus-related deaths reported in the country since the pandemic began.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/denmark/

again, Reuters has a good graph to examine the data.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:56 am

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:42 am

mookiemcgee wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/q4dc8b/oc_the_pandemic_in_the_us_in_60_seconds/

I am not on reddit, so (apparently that is why) your link did not work for me; I found this instead, the first 60 days for us in the USA in early 2020:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-51969568

I will look a bit longer as it appears to be good, solid, and cogent data on COVID, in a great summary format.

After some looking, the best alternative I saw was here:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/covid-19-daily-video
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,