Conquer Club

Dune

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Dune

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Only 16 more hours until I get to see it! I'm like a little kid on the night before Christmas!

Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Dune

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Saw it on IMAX yesterday, followed that evening by a live 'Rocky Horror'.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Saw it on IMAX yesterday, followed that evening by a live 'Rocky Horror'.

Cool!

Yes, I'm definitely seeing it in IMAX also.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby riskllama on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:59 pm

i've watched this fan edit/redux a few times now when i'm in the mood for Dune, pretty good...

always found it a bit weird that he can just post this on the youtubes & it hasn't been taken down or anything...*shrugs*
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mookiemcgee on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Only 16 more hours until I get to see it! I'm like a little kid on the night before Christmas!

I really loved it! Better than I expected
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:45 am

In general, really really good. Not perfect.

Splitting the book into two movies was a good idea. There's simply too much there for one movie; but let's hope the second movie actually happens and we're not left hanging with an unfinished product.

Visually, 5/5. Excellent depiction of the Dune World and the technology of the series. The ornithopters are beautiful.

Book adaptation, 4.9/5. I'm tempted to say 5/5. Very faithful adaptation. Very few plot differences, mostly trivial, and mostly for the better.

The largest plot difference is that in the book we spend a lot of time wondering who the traitor is and investigating. In the movie, the traitor is identified very quickly without any great fanfare. I understand why: the movie is already more than two and a half hours. Some minor subplots had to be axed to prevent bloat. The search for the traitor got the axe in the interest of time economy.

The death of Liet Kynes in the book was just tragic and lonely, a vehicle for nothing but despair. In the movie, it was used for dramatic effect and actually served a plot purpose.

Damn, just saw the time. Gotta get to work. I'll continue tomorrow.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:58 am

I just loved the ornithopters. Always had trouble envisaging them.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby therozza on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:02 pm

At last, the identities of the 2 people that actually finished "Dune" has been revealed!
New Recruit therozza

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:18 pm

therozza wrote:At last, the identities of the 2 people that actually finished "Dune" has been revealed!

Lol, the book sold 20 million copies, so I suspect there's more than 2 people that finished it.

I ran out of steam in the fourth sequel, though. Never made it to Chapterhouse.

Anyway, back to the movie.

Dukasaur wrote:In general, really really good. Not perfect.

Splitting the book into two movies was a good idea. There's simply too much there for one movie; but let's hope the second movie actually happens and we're not left hanging with an unfinished product.

Visually, 5/5. Excellent depiction of the Dune World and the technology of the series. The ornithopters are beautiful.

Book adaptation, 4.9/5. I'm tempted to say 5/5. Very faithful adaptation. Very few plot differences, mostly trivial, and mostly for the better.

The largest plot difference is that in the book we spend a lot of time wondering who the traitor is and investigating. In the movie, the traitor is identified very quickly without any great fanfare. I understand why: the movie is already more than two and a half hours. Some minor subplots had to be axed to prevent bloat. The search for the traitor got the axe in the interest of time economy.

The death of Liet Kynes in the book was just tragic and lonely, a vehicle for nothing but despair. In the movie, it was used for dramatic effect and actually served a plot purpose.

So anyway, this morning I listed the strongest points. Tonight I have to mention a few weaker ones.

Casting/Acting. 4/5. Lady Jessica, absolutely awesome! Paul Atreides, Gurney Halleck, excellent. Both Harkonnens, very good. Duncan Idaho, Chani, pretty good. Liet Kynes, Reverend Mother Mohaim, Duke Leto, all reasonably good. Stilgar, kinda stilted, to be honest. I'm actually sad, because Javier Bardem has long been one of my favourite actors, but either this is the wrong role for him or he's getting old and complacent. Dr. Yueh, sucked.

Soundtrack/Score, 3/5. Good, but didn't really impress. Which is too bad, because a lot of the pre-release commentators said it was great and I expected much, but in the end there was nothing really memorable about it.

The ending. I have a hard time giving it a score. I have both good thoughts and bad thoughts about it.

On the minus side, it's rather anticlimactic. Paul and Jessica march off to Sietch Tabr with their new-found friends. Of course we know that in the second movie they're supposed to make a spectacular comeback and blow up the Shield Wall and humiliate the Emperor. But if the first movie was our only point of reference, we might assume that they're just going to go live peaceful lives as hermits in the desert. There's really not much dramatic tension.

On the plus side, this is once again Villeneuve being faithful to the book. This is where we are in the plot. Paul needs time to lick his wounds and learn the ways of the Fremen and build his army. Things are going to be quiet for a while, and you can respect Villeneuve not inserting some ludicrous twist just for the sake of inserting a ludicrous twist.

Ditto for the fight between Paul and Jamis. Villeneuve wraps it up in under a minute. Peter Jackson or Zack Snyder would have dragged it out for 45 minutes. On a visceral level, I was kinda hoping the fight would be more spectacular. But on an intellectual level, I'm glad that is was reasonably realistic and didn't give us some Legolas versus Godzilla level of stupidity.

Overall, I guess I'd give the ending 3.5/5. I would have liked a little more heart-pounding action. But I have to admire the decency and restraint.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby riskllama on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:19 pm

Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:40 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
therozza wrote:At last, the identities of the 2 people that actually finished "Dune" has been revealed!

Lol, the book sold 20 million copies, so I suspect there's more than 2 people that finished it.

I ran out of steam in the fourth sequel, though. Never made it to Chapterhouse.

Anyway, back to the movie.

Dukasaur wrote:In general, really really good. Not perfect.

So anyway, this morning I listed the strongest points. Tonight I have to mention a few weaker ones.

Casting/Acting. 4/5. Lady Jessica, absolutely awesome! Paul Atreides, Gurney Halleck, excellent. Both Harkonnens, very good. Duncan Idaho, Chani, pretty good. Liet Kynes, Reverend Mother Mohaim, Duke Leto, all reasonably good. Stilgar, kinda stilted, to be honest. I'm actually sad, because Javier Bardem has long been one of my favourite actors, but either this is the wrong role for him or he's getting old and complacent. Dr. Yueh, sucked.

Soundtrack/Score, 3/5. Good, but didn't really impress. Which is too bad, because a lot of the pre-release commentators said it was great and I expected much, but in the end there was nothing really memorable about it.

The ending. I have a hard time giving it a score. I have both good thoughts and bad thoughts about it.

On the minus side, it's rather anticlimactic. Paul and Jessica march off to Sietch Tabr with their new-found friends. Of course we know that in the second movie they're supposed to make a spectacular comeback and blow up the Shield Wall and humiliate the Emperor. But if the first movie was our only point of reference, we might assume that they're just going to go live peaceful lives as hermits in the desert. There's really not much dramatic tension.

On the plus side, this is once again Villeneuve being faithful to the book. This is where we are in the plot. Paul needs time to lick his wounds and learn the ways of the Fremen and build his army. Things are going to be quiet for a while, and you can respect Villeneuve not inserting some ludicrous twist just for the sake of inserting a ludicrous twist.

Ditto for the fight between Paul and Jamis. Villeneuve wraps it up in under a minute. Peter Jackson or Zack Snyder would have dragged it out for 45 minutes. On a visceral level, I was kinda hoping the fight would be more spectacular. But on an intellectual level, I'm glad that is was reasonably realistic and didn't give us some Legolas versus Godzilla level of stupidity.

Overall, I guess I'd give the ending 3.5/5. I would have liked a little more heart-pounding action. But I have to admire the decency and restraint.

Fair review... I think some of the 'anti-climactic' choices were actually good choices by the film makers. As you said its more honest to the book, but I think they realized this isn't the first time someone has made this movie. You don't need to shock and awe since a huge number of your viewers aren't new to the story and so much of hollywood now action at the cost of storytelling. They had their share of action, but didn't let a need for action to interfere with the telling of the story.

I thought you comments about the weakness of the music was interesting. I frankly wasn't paying much attention to that element, outside of that kind of bass/drumbeat they used persistently. I'll probably try and rewatch it soon and by more attention to that detail. I did like some of the previous attempts at making this book into a movie, how did you feel this ranked vs them?

My biggest complaint? WTF were they doing with the bagpipes, that just seemed so out of place to me.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby riskllama on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:33 pm

Hans Zimmer did the score, no? he usually does good work. then again, he does so many movies, perhaps he is starting to finally burn out...

*also, Sean Young was hot AF as Chani in the David Lynch version. Lady Jessica was no slouch either, but i forget her name now.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:18 am

mookiemcgee wrote:I did like some of the previous attempts at making this book into a movie, how did you feel this ranked vs them?

This is unquestionably the best so far. The 1984 version was visually beautiful but the script sucked and butchered the plot. The 2000 version was much more faithful to the book, but being made for TV instead of the big screen it lacked the visual impact. I haven't yet seen the alt-1984 version that llama posted.

mookiemcgee wrote:My biggest complaint? WTF were they doing with the bagpipes, that just seemed so out of place to me.

Did seem a little odd. But the Great Houses all have little things tying them to their semi-mythical ancestries on Old Earth. 99% of Old Earth's culture was lost in the Butlerian Jihad. The tiny little scraps that remain are cherished. I think the bagpipes are meant to be exactly this. A tiny little scrap of prehistoric human culture that survived the Jihad and signals House Atreides' pre-Jihad ancestry.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:55 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:My biggest complaint? WTF were they doing with the bagpipes, that just seemed so out of place to me.

Did seem a little odd. But the Great Houses all have little things tying them to their semi-mythical ancestries on Old Earth. 99% of Old Earth's culture was lost in the Butlerian Jihad. The tiny little scraps that remain are cherished. I think the bagpipes are meant to be exactly this. A tiny little scrap of prehistoric human culture that survived the Jihad and signals House Atreides' pre-Jihad ancestry.

Good note.

The sequel was officially green lit today by warner bros, but it's looking like summer/fall 2023 for release
Colonel mookiemcgee

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,