Page 249 of 250

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:19 pm
by sempaispellcheck
betiko wrote:No need to force yourself into rooting for a club and calling yourself a fan if it s not for life.
Thanks, betiko. I was hoping someone would say something like that.

betiko wrote:I m pretty sure you can be a nyfc fan for life if you follow them since their first season and you got your name on a stadium stone..
Oh, absolutely! Now I have an actual hometown club, and I don't have to deal with dipsh*ts who say "you know the Red Bulls play in Jersey, right?" :evil:

betiko wrote:You guys signed lampard right?
Yeah. I was never much of a fan of his, to be honest - though good for him leaving Chelsea (I've hated them ever since they stole the Champions League from Bayern)
I'm more excited about David Villa.
We've only got 5 players so far - very excited to see who else joins up.

tzor wrote:I'll probably try to get individual tickets depending on how my schedule goes.
Let me know if you do, and we can meet up at the Stadium. :D

sempai

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:40 pm
by betiko
sempaispellcheck wrote:
betiko wrote:No need to force yourself into rooting for a club and calling yourself a fan if it s not for life.
Thanks, betiko. I was hoping someone would say something like that.

betiko wrote:I m pretty sure you can be a nyfc fan for life if you follow them since their first season and you got your name on a stadium stone..
Oh, absolutely! Now I have an actual hometown club, and I don't have to deal with dipsh*ts who say "you know the Red Bulls play in Jersey, right?" :evil:

betiko wrote:You guys signed lampard right?
Yeah. I was never much of a fan of his, to be honest - though good for him leaving Chelsea (I've hated them ever since they stole the Champions League from Bayern)
I'm more excited about David Villa.
We've only got 5 players so far - very excited to see who else joins up.

tzor wrote:I'll probably try to get individual tickets depending on how my schedule goes.
Let me know if you do, and we can meet up at the Stadium. :D

sempai

Huh, you guys got david villa??? I love this guy!
So lampard and david villa... Who are the other 3? Tim howard? Lol if howard signs for nyfc you are just going to become totally nuts!! :lol:

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:58 am
by sempaispellcheck
betiko wrote:So lampard and david villa... Who are the other 3?
1. American defender Jeb Brovsky - drafted by Vancouver in 2011 and acquired by Montreal in 2012. He is currently on loan at Strømsgodset, Man City's affiliate in the Norwegian top flight.
2. American-born Puerto Rican international keeper Josh Saunders - who has been active in MLS and other American leagues since 2003.
3. Recently acquired American midfielder Andrew Jacobson - drafted by DC United, then acquired by Philadelphia and traded to Dallas. He is currently on loan at Stabaek IF in the Norwegian top flight.

betiko wrote:Lol if howard signs for nyfc you are just going to become totally nuts!! :lol:
If Tim Howard signs for NYCFC (that first C is important) I will dance through the streets of Brooklyn.
He's actually just signed a multiyear deal with NBC Sports to serve as an analyst for about 10 EPL matches per year, but he'll still be the Everton number 1.

sempai

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:04 am
by iAmCaffeine
Howard isn't leaving Everton, he just signed a new contract.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 am
by sempaispellcheck
iAmCaffeine wrote:Howard isn't leaving Everton, he just signed a new contract.

Meh. I can dream, can't I?

sempai

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 pm
by nietzsche
betiko wrote:
nietzsche wrote:Of all the RM players, including Kroos, James and CR7, the one I'm looking forward to see is Bale, let's see what he can do with a proper pre-season.



Not loving the hair-style though.


why the hell would they buy kroos anyway? I might be wrong, but I think he will barely play.
There are still players like isco or jesé that deserve some time on the pitch as well...


Isco is really good, excellent technique and all. But to be honest, even when analysts said he had a good match I never saw it that way. He loses too many balls to my taste, seems like the kind of player that would do great in a smaller team. He's still very young though, so I hope he shuts me up and grows.

Jesse is a forward, so he won't compete with Kroos.

I think Kroos will play, I think it would be something like Alonso or Kedhira + Kroos + Modric + James. Yes, we will play with 3 defenders, we are that good.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm
by tzor
Man City is playing Liverpool at Yankee Stadium, Man City currently leading 1-0
Edit: 58:44 game is now tied 1-1

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 pm
by sempaispellcheck
tzor wrote:Man City is playing Liverpool

Meh.

sempai

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 pm
by Timminz
tzor wrote:Man City is playing Liverpool at Yankee Stadium, Man City currently leading 1-0
Edit: 58:44 game is now tied 1-1


I was half-watching that match when out for drinks this afternoon (while also half-watching the Jays/Sox game). The pitch looked awful. they covered the infield with plain sod, leaving curled corners all over half the field.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 am
by trevor33
Pre season sucks monkey balls. And so do Celtic, that was an embarrassment last night.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 am
by tzor
Timminz wrote:
tzor wrote:Man City is playing Liverpool at Yankee Stadium, Man City currently leading 1-0
Edit: 58:44 game is now tied 1-1


I was half-watching that match when out for drinks this afternoon (while also half-watching the Jays/Sox game). The pitch looked awful. they covered the infield with plain sod, leaving curled corners all over half the field.


The infield cover was the worst I've ever seen it, and I've been to both American and European football matches at the Stadium. Parts of the sod were almost yellow. Anything not directly on the pitch (or close to the border of the pitch) wasn't covered over. People were sliding all over that part of the pitch.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm
by betiko
trevor33 wrote:Pre season sucks monkey balls. And so do Celtic, that was an embarrassment last night.


Given that no one cares about celtic in here and you don t even mention what game it was.. Only part of the brits might know what you re talking about.

I m wondering if cavani (united?) or lavezzi (atletico?) will move from paris to make that 80 M deal possible with di maria and the real madrid. I think that is way overpriced.
By the way, paris payed a total of 90M for thiago silva and david luiz as their center defense. After that world cup.... Hummm... Where is the market value standing for the pair? Lol.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:24 pm
by trevor33
betiko wrote:
trevor33 wrote:Pre season sucks monkey balls. And so do Celtic, that was an embarrassment last night.


Given that no one cares about celtic in here and you don t even mention what game it was.. Only part of the brits might know what you re talking about.

I m wondering if cavani (united?) or lavezzi (atletico?) will move from paris to make that 80 M deal possible with di maria and the real madrid. I think that is way overpriced.
By the way, paris payed a total of 90M for thiago silva and david luiz as their center defense. After that world cup.... Hummm... Where is the market value standing for the pair? Lol.


It was the CL 3rd qualifying round, lost 1-4 with 10 men. No Barcelona matches this year :(

I really don't see how Cavani would fit into United with Van Persie, Ronney and Mata. They need quality midfielders and defenders not forwards. David Luiz is much better just in front of the defense where he can mess up less and still bomb forward.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 am
by sempaispellcheck
Bayern played Chivas de Guadalajara at Red Bull Arena last night.
What. A. Match.

1-0 to Bayern (a beautiful header by Claudio Pizarro off a Ribéry corner), but it was a very, very open game.
Even though Chivas lost, I doubt their fans (who were the majority) were all that disappointed.

It amazes me that Xherdan Shaqiri is so incredibly tiny, yet at the same time so incredibly massive. Someone behind me joked that they had to widen the number 11 for his back, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

sempai

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:58 pm
by Army of GOD
Chicharito scored for the first time in his life

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 pm
by nietzsche
Army of GOD wrote:Chicharito scored for the first time in his life


I guarantee you that by the end of his career he will have more goals scored than Landon Donovan.

And I bet you that Chicharito has a better average of goals per minutes played than Landon Donovan.


He may look like a lesbian, but he's a good striker.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:19 pm
by Army of GOD
Dude, Donavon sucks. That's not saying much. I just enjoy making fun of Chicharito because you want to have his lesbian babies.

Also, all this talk about NYCFC (why the f*ck do they need "City" in their name?) made me realize I live 15 minutes away from where the Red Bulls play. I should check them out just for Henry.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:26 pm
by sempaispellcheck
Army of GOD wrote:why the f*ck do they need "City" in their name?

It emphasizes that they play in New York City - to differentiate them from the New York Red Bulls, who actually play in Jersey.
Of course, it's mostly because they're a "sister club" (whatever that means) of Manchester City.

sempai

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:41 am
by tzor
Army of GOD wrote:Also, all this talk about NYCFC (why the f*ck do they need "City" in their name?) made me realize I live 15 minutes away from where the Red Bulls play. I should check them out just for Henry.


I would have thought it was obvious. They are partially owned by Manchester City. It's like MSNBC ... you take the first part of New York Yankees and the second part of Manchester City and there you have it. Elementary merger names 101.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am
by Army of GOD
tzor wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Also, all this talk about NYCFC (why the f*ck do they need "City" in their name?) made me realize I live 15 minutes away from where the Red Bulls play. I should check them out just for Henry.


I would have thought it was obvious. They are partially owned by Manchester City. It's like MSNBC ... you take the first part of New York Yankees and the second part of Manchester City and there you have it. Elementary merger names 101.


It just reminds me of an Archer episode.

Ray's brother: And then it was off to New York city.

Archer: You can just say New York.

Ray's brother: To be a hoity toity interior decorator.

Archer: You can just say decorator.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:13 am
by GreecePwns
Just a friendly reminder that there is only one club in New York that isn't a reserve team or a marketing tool to push energy drinks.

http://thisiscosmoscountry.com/wp-conte ... ikeKit.jpg

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 am
by sempaispellcheck
Nice try, but no New Yorker will ever care about a second-division club that plays on Long Island.
But thank you for playing.

sempai

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:18 pm
by nietzsche
Raul Jimenez to Atletico de Madrid.

He plays for my team in Mexico, so I had hoped he'd be sign by Porto, for he would play regularly there. In Atleti he will find it hard to play regularly for he will be competing with Manduzic and Griezman.

This is Raul Jimenez:


Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:55 am
by Army of GOD
so there's a soccer league in near me I've been trying to join but they've never responded to the three different emails I sent. Then, I look at their website, and they say their league is full but that they're looking for "experienced keepers". Of course I email them saying I'm a keeper and they respond within two minutes.

I have experience playing keeper but not a ton. I'm fully reliant on my athleticism. Also, I'm short, so it'll be fun when the team I'm on sees me and thinks "da f*ck is this midge doing here?"

Also, I have to buy gloves now.

Re: Football (real)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:26 am
by nietzsche
I rather be a volunteer mod for OT than be a goalie.