Conquer Club

What is your ethnicity?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Ethnicity?

Total votes : 0

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:45 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:Doesn't "Hispanic" usually refer to people who speak Spanish as a native toungue? If that's the case, Brazil doesn't really count, with Portugese being the language there.
It means peopsfrom spain
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby got tonkaed on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:47 pm

wicked wrote:Do people from Brazil consider themselves Hispanics? They technically aren't by definition. Do they consider themselves Latinos? I've always said my background is Hispanic (i.e. from Spain), but people usually assume that to mean from South America.

they technically could be....hispanic comes from the term hispanola which the romans gave to the entire iberian pennisula, which includes portugal as well as spain.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby wicked on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:57 pm

So that's what I'm wondering. If Hispanic means native Spanish speaker, or something else that includes Portugal/Brazil.
Major wicked

Postby got tonkaed on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:58 pm

wicked wrote:So that's what I'm wondering. If Hispanic means native Spanish speaker, or something else that includes Portugal/Brazil.

specifically its supposed to relate to things coming from the iberian pennisula or at least that was what the original meaning was supposed to come from...its a roman term.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby wicked on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:05 pm

Yes GT, that was the original definition, which has been corrupted to be meaningless in describing from where a person originated.

wiki wrote:The corruption of the terms Hispanic and Latino has been especially apparent in the United States of America. In the latter parts of the 20th century, both terms went from being used as a cultural label of various cultures to being misused as a racial label that describe mixed-race people, further confusing the meanings of the terms. The corruption of these terms has the effect of racially grouping together the white population of Spain and Portugal with the large non white Castilian speaking populations of Latin America, which is predominantly Amerindian. In addition, cultural and linguistic issues related to Spaniards and Portuguese are often confused with those of Mexicans or other Latin American people. While some are conscious of this issue, many of the people to whom the labels Latino or Hispanic are applied are not aware of it. As such, they often help perpetuate further misuse of these terms as racial labels instead of cultural ones, to the point that today the term is excluding the Hispanics to whom the labels originally applied.

Major wicked

Postby btownmeggy on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:54 pm

got tonkaed wrote:they technically could be....hispanic comes from the term hispanola which the romans gave to the entire iberian pennisula, which includes portugal as well as spain.

Well, no. The far western part of Iberia was called Lusitania. That's Portugal today. Portuguese-related things are called luso-whatever. Portuguese speakers are called Lusophones.

More generally: Nearly all the terms that are commonly used today to describe "Hispanics" or "Latinos" or "Chicanos" or whatever are historically and sociologically flawed. "Latino" is probably the broadest, and includes people of both Spanish American and Portuguese American origin, who racially could be described as white, black, Indian, or mixed. However, is a Guatemalan Mayan who hardly speaks Spanish rightly termed a "Latino", seeing as they are not linguistically nor genetically derived from the Latin-speaking empire of yore?
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby unriggable on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:58 pm

0ojakeo0 wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:Doesn't "Hispanic" usually refer to people who speak Spanish as a native toungue? If that's the case, Brazil doesn't really count, with Portugese being the language there.
It means peopsfrom spain

Eh, no. They would make a whole race for a single country.

It's the same as latino.
Cook unriggable

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm

unriggable wrote:
0ojakeo0 wrote:
It means peopsfrom spain

Eh, no. They would make a whole race for a single country.

It's the same as latino.
no its not.
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby salvadevinemasse on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm pure white.. no hispanic or anything else in me. Mostly British in that area. You can ask any one who knows me well.. I can blind people with how white I am..
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.

~*Salva*~
Cadet salvadevinemasse

Postby soundout9 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm Lithiuanian :wink:
Private soundout9

Postby salvadevinemasse on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:21 pm

soundout9 wrote:I'm Lithiuanian :wink:

I have a tiny in me too, and russian/ german/ and polish... but its very little
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.

~*Salva*~
Cadet salvadevinemasse

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:25 pm

salvadevinemasse wrote:I'm pure white.. no hispanic or anything else in me. Mostly British in that area. You can ask any one who knows me well.. I can blind people with how white I am..
Same here, yet I get a good tan, rarely sun burn, and my skin is not as light as others. If it came from a meditteranean (I know, bad spelling) people, I have no idea.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby txbonita06 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:37 am

you should have latino's/latina's or Hispanic. imo
Cook txbonita06

Re: What is your ethnicity?

Postby notyou2 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:52 am

I'm colour blind.
Captain notyou2

Postby BoganGod on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 am

notyou2 wrote:I'm colour blind.

I suspected you of necrofelching(a practise generally reserved for darkness where colour vision is not important). I was wrong, your a necro bumper not felcher. Congrats
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Postby DaGip on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:42 pm

BoganGod wrote:

I suspected you of necrofelching(a practise generally reserved for darkness where colour vision is not important). I was wrong, your a necro bumper not felcher. Congrats
I thought about Necrobumping this thread too. The debate of Jews being a race or a religion needs to be answered damnit!
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:02 pm

They're an ethnicity. A Jew can be an atheist yet still remain Jewish.

/debate
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:43 pm

DaGip wrote:
BoganGod wrote:

I thought about Necrobumping this thread too. The debate of Jews being a race or a religion needs to be answered damnit!

According to 2012 research by Eran Elhaik, a geneticist at Johns Hopkins University, Jews were an ancient people who lived in the Levant and are now totally and completely extinct and do not exist anymore (a few hundred Antique Jews may still exist among the Samaritans who practice the original pagan version of Judaism as it existed prior to the god of agriculture, Yahweh, being proclaimed "the one true God" as a result of an inter-sect dispute).

http://gbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/5/1/75.full

The religion commonly practiced by this extinct people was subsequently aped by a group of Turks who lived in southern Russia in the 800s, who are the ancestors of persons currently self-identifying as "Jews" (kinda like Boston Celtics captain Rajon Rondo; he wears green and clovers and leprechauns but he's not actually a member of an Iron Age North Sea tribe - that's just the theme his team decided to use for fun). Another book that advances a theory similar to Elhaik's is "The Invention of the Jewish People" by Shlomo Sand, a professor of history at Tel Aviv University.

Rajon Rondo - not literally Celtic
Preferred Pronouns: We / Everyone
My Body, My Choice
Sergeant saxitoxin

Postby notyou2 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:52 pm

BoganGod wrote:

Did you divine this conclusion using your felching straw?
Captain notyou2

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 pm

That's usually why I don't debate directly with sax. He knows a lot more than me on certain issues. Maybe that'll quell the Gabon-Alliance and their 'Why Didn't BBS Spend As Much Time Refuting Saxi's Arguments Than His Refuting My Arguments' Operation. I agree that the G-A needs to shorten that operation's name.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby DaGip on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:That's usually why I don't debate directly with sax. He knows a lot more than me on certain issues. Maybe that'll quell the Gabon-Alliance and their 'Why Didn't BBS Spend As Much Time Refuting Saxi's Arguments Than His Refuting My Arguments' Operation. I agree that the G-A needs to shorten that operation's name.
Are Muslims Jews?
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:11 pm

DaGip wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:That's usually why I don't debate directly with sax. He knows a lot more than me on certain issues. Maybe that'll quell the Gabon-Alliance and their 'Why Didn't BBS Spend As Much Time Refuting Saxi's Arguments Than His Refuting My Arguments' Operation. I agree that the G-A needs to shorten that operation's name.
Are Muslims Jews?

Jewish Muslims are Muslim Jews.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 pm

Wow, that was a huge necro-bump! And so many that are no longer here too. :(

Conspiracy theory! Saxi is actually a Zionist trying to oust the current Israeli government in order to take over himself!
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby notyou2 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:34 am

DaGip wrote:
BoganGod wrote:

I followed your link, so did it for you.
Captain notyou2

Re:

Postby The Bison King on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:24 am

Frigidus wrote:Only white people play Risk? No wai!

Of course! White people have a long tradition of looking at maps, and contemplating ways in which they could occupy every corner of it.
Sergeant The Bison King

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,