Conquer Club

No alliance in tournament game ?

The place for ideas, discussion of tournament related topics, and finding answers to questions about tournaments.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

No alliance in tournament game ?

Postby Donelladan on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:08 am

I am playing in the auto-tournament Flat Rate Classic. The games being no fog, and with round limit, they are most of the time won at the round limit. Therefore if I am not the leader, I always use game chat to organize attack against the leader and give everyone a shot at winning ( and especially me, of course).

Recently, as I was talking to some players explaining them my strategy to help everyone having a chance at winning, one player respond to me that I am not supposed to use diplomacy in tournaments.
I first laughed at him, telling him that it was ridiculous and that I've never heard of that.

He told me to go to the tournament tab, tournament handbook, player etiquette, and to read the number 6 that indeed says :
viewtopic.php?p=2141705#p2141705
DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN ANY ALLIANCES. Secret diplomacy is against Conquer Club rules anyway, but even public alliances are greatly frowned upon in tournament games. Most tournaments are set up to lead to one winner, and most players will get upset if their methodical lead suddenly becomes double-teamed.

PS : I am not speaking about truce. If the part 6 of the player etiquette was supposed to referred to truce, then say "no truces in tournament games". Even if I would also disagree with that statement, it at least allow player to plan common action against a leader.
So, I am gently, nicely asking, WTF!?!?!??
I do not get it. Some settings can only be played using diplomacy.
Please remove the paragraph 6 of player etiquette from the handbook.
Diplomacy is part of Risk. Diplomacy is, imho, the essence of Risk. Withouth diplomacy Risk sucks!
I am speaking of one of the original Risk - meaning flat rate sunny chained standard. Without diplomacy I don't see why someone would ever play those settings.
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Donelladan

Medals: 100
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (24)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (14) Challenge Achievement (2)

Re: No alliance in tournament game ?

Postby Donelladan on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:05 am

Maybe one of the TD would be nice enough to answer me something ?
Last edited by Donelladan on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Donelladan

Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (24)

Postby BGtheBrain on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:57 am

I think alliances and truces are part of the game. I dont see a tourny game as any different. After all, only one person can actually win. Part of diplomacy is to backstab, and to be backstabbed.

:shrug:
Captain BGtheBrain

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (46) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (5)

Postby mcshanester29 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Donelladan wrote:Maybe one of the TD would be nice enough to answer me something ?

Sorry mate somehow missed this :oops:

What you are doing I don't see as an alliance its more making sure one person doesn't get an insurmountable lead. I personally have been in quite a few tournament games where I got double-teamed because I was the leader, its part of the game in my opinion as well.

We will look at changing the rule hear in the near future
Lieutenant mcshanester29
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Medals: 166
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (21)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (33) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (10)

Postby shoop76 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm

mcshanester29 wrote:
Donelladan wrote:Maybe one of the TD would be nice enough to answer me something ?

Sorry mate somehow missed this :oops:

What you are doing I don't see as an alliance its more making sure one person doesn't get an insurmountable lead. I personally have been in quite a few tournament games where I got double-teamed because I was the leader, its part of the game in my opinion as well.

We will look at changing the rule hear in the near future

Change a rule that is not really a rule, but just suggested play. I for 1, wish there was a rule about diplomacy, secret or not, in tournaments. You run a serious risk in these tournaments with large game loads and the same players in each game playing this diplomacy for all games, not just 1. Kind of like I will help you out in this game and I will return the favor in the other.

But where is the limit? What is ok to say?

Just some examples here.

Can I get a card spot?
We need to attack player before he wins the game?
Let's not attack on border?
Let's not attack each other at all?
Don't attack me in this game and I won't attack you in other game.

Personally I'm fine with the first 1 and don't like the rest. Players should have enough cc sense to realize this themselves without having someone tell them this. In most tournaments the organizers make their own rules for this. However in autotournaments there is no organizer.

Then there is the guys that try to make truces with numerous players in 1 game. Is this ok? Personally I hate that crap.
Major shoop76

Medals: 160
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (4)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (33) General Achievement (13)
Clan Achievement (26) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Donelladan on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:36 am

In most tournaments the organizers make their own rules for this.

Don't think I ever joined a tournament in which the organizers gave "diplomacy rules".

Just some examples here.

Can I get a card spot?
We need to attack player before he wins the game?
Let's not attack on border?
Let's not attack each other at all?
Don't attack me in this game and I won't attack you in other game.

Personally I'm fine with the first 1 and don't like the rest.

I am fine with all of them except the last one which would obviously be an abuse and would be punished by C and A if ever discovered.
Diplomacy, truce, are an important part of risk, I don't see why Risk Tournament should exclude them. Quite a non-sense to me.

You run a serious risk in these tournaments with large game loads and the same players in each game playing this diplomacy for all games, not just 1. Kind of like I will help you out in this game and I will return the favor in the other.

Just to be clear on this, this is cheating outside of tournament world, this of course would/should be cheating too inside of tournament.
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:14 am

There are some tournaments that strictly do rule out alliances. But I don't think that's the majority / normal.
Also, frowned upon doesn't mean against the rules. Though I agree the big capital letters don't give they impression.
the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness! Armies will lay down their weapons to be taken into our numbers or die and lose their souls. What will you decide?
Major IcePack

Medals: 105
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10)
General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (12)

Return to General Info, Q&A, Discussion