Conquer Club

Tournament Creation Limits? [Poll Added By NS]

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Are a few organizers creating too many tournaments at once?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:03 am

Total votes : 0

Re: Tournament Creation Limits? [Poll Added By NS]

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Tracita wrote:the more you fiddle w/a good thing, the worse it becomes. Please don't turn this into a site w/so many rules, it's intimidating to join or no longer b/comes fun to play. So what if there are a lot of tournaments to choose and new organisers feel like they can't get their tournaments going ? If you want to join a tournament, you do a little shopping. If the same people have a lot of tournaments and they get played, maybe it's b/c they do a good job.

What would truly be appreciated, is being able to search tournaments according to options, i.e. foggy, sunny, etc. Often I have looked for a specific type of tourney, assassin or terminator, 2 v. multiplayers. With this option the sheer number of tournays is less overwhelming to search.

Perhaps you can add that to the appropriate thread?
Major Bones2484

Postby denominator on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:04 pm

First of all, the poll is absolute bullshit now. I won't post either of the PMs that I received in the public thread, as I believe it's against the rules somewhere, but I have now received two PMs sent out by tournament organizers that smear Bones and encourage players to come to the thread and fight with Bones or vote against Bones in the poll. I somehow suspect that these people PMing us are breaking the rules as well, and at the very least it is disrespectful and pitiful.

This is not about HighlanderAttack, b00060, Blitzaholic, or anyone else running poor tournaments. It is not about that now, and it wasn't at the beginning. If you read the whole thread, you can note that Bones never named names until others brought it up (myself being one of them - and I apologize for that now). Even then, Bones only pointed out that there are too many tournaments being posted at a time in the Create/Join a Tournament forum. Nobody here has attacked anyone's ability to actually run a tournament, simply that there are too many tournaments flooding the forums at once.

This is not about whether or not Bones has run a tournament. I have no idea why anyone started attacking Bones for his opinions, but his opinions from the point of a tournament player are entirely valid. This has nothing to do with anyone's ability to run a tournament. I would be quite happy to see anyone run hundreds of tournaments at once as long as they can run each one effectively and efficiently. However, I do agree with Bones on the core issue here.

If you look at the Create/Join a Tournament forum, some organizers (including HA, b00060, and Blitzy, as well as others) often create many tournaments at once. While this is a fine practice for those of us players that join all of the tournaments posted, it does not work for those who want to be more selective. It dilutes the pool of players joining the similar tournaments by the same organizer, as well as pushing the other tournaments out of the way, sometimes onto the second page.

Everyone seems to keep overlooking barterer's posts, but he has the best statement of anyone in the whole thread:

barterer2002 wrote:Really I think what we're doing here is establish some etiquette for the TO forums. When you go play golf there is an etiquette that is generally followed. You don't drive into the group ahead of you, you don't talk during someones backswing. You don't walk between a ball and the hole on the green. When we go to a restaurant there is etiquette, we don't stand on the tables, we don't start shouting at people across the restaurant, we don't wash our hands in our water glasses. All of these things are things that we do not because there are rules in place, not because we can't do it, after all, we're the paying customer on either a golf course or at a restaurant, but because we function together as a society through etiquette.

What we're trying to do here is establish what is the etiquette going forward for tournaments. Part of that is understanding how that etiquette is communicated. How do we know not to dance on the table at a restaurant-because someone taught us, how do we know not to talk during a backswing-because someone taught us. In CC we don't have a mentor system for new tournament creation and I'm not suggesting that we should but maybe we should have a posting of etiquette to read where things like number of games in the Create/Join forum can be listed-whatever is decided.

Remember, we all have to live here and we're all volunteers, it behooves us to have some thoughts on how to get together to think not only of the tournament players but also of our fellow TOs. I also believe that what is past is past and that what we're discussing is how to handle things in the future.

It truly is all about etiquette in respect to your fellow organizers AND to the players. However, when the etiquette guidelines are not being followed, the best course of action is to implement rules.
Major denominator

Postby YoursFalsey on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Just a quick $.02:

1) I don't see the need for official action on this 'issue'. I sign up for a lot of tourneys- I've never noticed any problem finding tourneys that interest me. I prefer tourneys that offer a variety of maps and settings, but such tourneys are more complicated to run and keep contestents from deadbeating their way out. If an organizer starts more tournements then they can handle running, there are already rules in place to sanction them for abandoning their tournement. If an organizer has the time to run X-many tournements, and players are signing up for all X-many tournements, then there is no problem. (The players signing up means there is an interest in/demand for those tournements, so isn't it great that someone is supplying that interest?) Too many choices/ difficulty finding specific choices is a minor issue.

2) Having lots of tournements available is a big, big plus. Tournements give players a chance to play games against players who they otherwise would not, thus improving the social interaction opportunities of CC club. Variety tournements give people a chance to play maps, game types, and settings they normally wouldn't, expanding players understanding of the opportunities CC provides. Players can choose between quickie elimination tournements and long running epic tournements- there is something for everybody. There are so many good things about the system as it is, that any change must be careful not to jeopardize those good things. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

3) There are a few small minuses connected to the sheer number of tournement options. Finding specific tournment games in the game finder requires scrolling through a god-awful long list of past and present tournement names. New, untested tournment organizers (like me- note the signature, go check it out :D ) can have trouble attracting the attention of potential contestants. People with more specific tournement tastes might have to actually look through multiple pages of tourney options. But these minuses can have better solutions then an arbitrary maximum on organizers. (For example, subforums for elimination tourneys, theme tourneys, variety tourneys, or league play (such as the great Bring It On!! Tourney that lufsen75 is running, which is more ongoing league then finite term tourney). Add a string search for the godawful log lit of past and present tourneys. Et cet. Et cet. Minor minuses should have minor/hard-to-notice solutions that ease in. A big bru-ha-ha debate, organizers with hurt feelings, an arbitrary new rule to limit people is not the way to tweak minor problems when (see point 2 again) the current CC tournement system is such a huge plus!
Good Omens: Round II of the Pratchett Invitational has begun
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=101870
which is a good omen that I'll start another tourney...
Coming soon: Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, the nuclear tourney...
Private YoursFalsey

Postby Decius Mus on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:08 am

I just found the thread and the poll. I can't hardly believe that people are upset about people putting in time to organize tournaments. People are busy with school, work, family and life; yet they find the time to make CC a better place with a wide variety of tournaments. We cannot abuse people for doing this or in a while we will not have any or at least very few to choose from. :(

I have played in HA and b00060's tournaments and they have been well run, clear, and fun. b000060 has even gone out of his way to rescue another tournament i was in. I and other players would be upset if they felt so alienated that they no longer put on tournaments on cc.

If they are following the rules set out by the group, i don't understand what is the problem.
Sergeant Decius Mus

Postby Shai on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:30 am

Just to get things straight?
Someone is complaining about people organizing too many tourneys cause it clogs up the new tourneys page???
Have we gone mad? maybe we're just spoilt !?!
I haven't been on this page since there is really no need - I earned a respectable name as a tourneyplayer - and I only join tourneys on invite... and I join them blindly without even reading the threads - that's how much I trust and appreciate Highlander's, b00's and the other guys job!

If it's "demeaning" to the tourney medals and honors, change those! say that less than 64 player tourney earns no medal...

Highlander - Thanks for a great job!
Why Search?
http://WWW.allmyfaves.com

Gooooooo Wizards!
Lieutenant Shai

Postby Lufsen75 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 am

I just think that too many tournaments are when you cant handle them. For some it is 1 and others it might be 30. Hard to make a limit for this.
Corporal 1st Class Lufsen75

Postby HighlanderAttack on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:55 am

Bones2484 wrote:
72o wrote:Can you explain your opinion a little bit more? Maybe then I will be able to see why you and Bones feel that this is somehow bad.

I was merely asking if people could spread out their tournaments instead of making 20-30 at one time. Is it really THAT bad to ask that we don't have 20-30 of the same exact tournament in the Create/Join at one time? Is asking to limit it to 5-10 tournaments waiting for players from one TO really an earth-shattering question?

Seems to me this whole discussion is a waste if you are basing it on the above.

I would say the most I have ever created at one time is around 15 and that has been done once-the beginning of this year. b00060 maybe has created around 12. No one else creates more than 5-7 at one time. I have to update my spreadsheet and I can give you the exact numbers, but at best the more than 10 tourneys created at one time has only happened once by me and maybe once or twice by b00060. No one has ever created 20 let alone 30 at one time.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby HighlanderAttack on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 am

The bigger problem to the create/join thread getting too big is the amount of tourneys that get posted that no one wants to join or that are not updated properly. We have only recently (in the last month to two months) even went over the one page. Tourneys are growing so I expect to probably see two pages on average, but that is about it until it even gets bigger. Even if restrictions are in place it won't effect me. I can fill a tourney in less than a few hours if it has 32 players or less if I solicit my small tourneys. I prefer not to do so because it gives a lot of new people a chance to get into my tourneys.

Getting back to the bigger problem of bad set ups or bad updating-these types of tourneys drop to the back because of the poor set up or poor updating because people don't want to join them. I have seen a big difference with new tourney directors on how the handle filling their tourneys and the ones that do it right don't have a problem. I have helped many get started and some just dont get it and those will fail.

I think sub-forums will cause more work for T-mods and probably cause more confusion. Ultimately this thread got out of control because of all the bashing and in my opinion limiting tourneys will not change anything anyway.

I am rambling again so everyone have a nice day.

Postby b00060 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:41 am

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

72o wrote:Can you explain your opinion a little bit more? Maybe then I will be able to see why you and Bones feel that this is somehow bad.

My only point was that I hated seeing more and more tournaments failing to reach their numbers in a month (and being deleted by the Directors) because a few experienced TOs were releasing TONS of tournaments at one time. It wasn't fair to new inexperienced TO's whose tournaments were being lost in the flood.

I was merely asking if people could spread out their tournaments instead of making 20-30 at one time. Is it really THAT bad to ask that we don't have 20-30 of the same exact tournament in the Create/Join at one time? Is asking to limit it to 5-10 tournaments waiting for players from one TO really an earth-shattering question?

This discussion has nothing to do with active tournaments. It is only about ones in the Create/Join forum. I have zero problem with TO's that can handle numerous tournaments at one time. If they keep them updated, I find that amazing dedication.

If that is what you were asking, at the time I only had 9 in the create forum, (within your 5-10 range)so how is that bad? By the way, I already explained why it is easier to "Flood" the forum with new events because of a batching process that I can do when I actually have the time. I am not pointing fingers or trying to start more trouble, but it seems clear that this thread is being steered in the direction of certain individuals points of views.
Major b00060

Postby JOHNNYROCKET24 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 am

now up to 57% to have bones2484 stfu and worry about something that is really important and quite wasting everyones time with his typical everyday BS.
JR's Game Profile

show
Sergeant 1st Class JOHNNYROCKET24

Postby Bones2484 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:23 am

To the last 5 posters:

Bones2484 wrote:Regardless, I posted this statement almost a week ago in the appropriate thread:

While I do think limiting the amount of tournaments a TO can have waiting for players is a good idea, it's obvious that many people have a concern about placing limitations on people who want to have fun serving the community... which is a perfectly reasonable concern. I only would hope that TO's refrain from making more and more tournaments if they are responsible themselves for delaying the progress of a tournament that they are already running.

Some of us have moved on from the discussion a long time ago. Hopefully everyone else can too.

To HA: At the time of the OP you had 24 tournaments in the create/join forum. Plus, as has been pointed out by other players in this thread, you are currently in the process of abandoning/not updating two of your current tournaments. So your point about being able to handle it makes your whole argument mute.

To b0060: I never used your name unless you called me out. YOU are the reason this thread became about you, not me. I even told you in a PM that clearly this thread had very little to do with you, and YOU were the one taking it that way.

Regardless, b0060 and HA make tournaments that people enjoy. And neither should stop doing so if they don't want to.

To JR24: Really? On second thought... I'm just going to report your post for trolling instead of responding to you.
Major Bones2484

Postby JOHNNYROCKET24 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Bones2484 wrote:To the last 5 posters:

Bones2484 wrote:Regardless, I posted this statement almost a week ago in the appropriate thread:

While I do think limiting the amount of tournaments a TO can have waiting for players is a good idea, it's obvious that many people have a concern about placing limitations on people who want to have fun serving the community... which is a perfectly reasonable concern. I only would hope that TO's refrain from making more and more tournaments if they are responsible themselves for delaying the progress of a tournament that they are already running.

Some of us have moved on from the discussion a long time ago. Hopefully everyone else can too.

To HA: At the time of the OP you had 24 tournaments in the create/join forum. Plus, as has been pointed out by other players in this thread, you are currently in the process of abandoning/not updating two of your current tournaments. So your point about being able to handle it makes your whole argument mute.

To b0060: I never used your name unless you called me out. YOU are the reason this thread became about you, not me. I even told you in a PM that clearly this thread had very little to do with you, and YOU were the one taking it that way.

Regardless, b0060 and HA make tournaments that people enjoy. And neither should stop doing so if they don't want to.

To JR24: Really? On second thought... I'm just going to report your post for trolling instead of responding to you.

and im going to report you for trolling with creating stupid threads that will bait people to respond to your pathetic BS you post.

NOW 58% TO STFU
JR's Game Profile

show
Sergeant 1st Class JOHNNYROCKET24

Postby denominator on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm

JOHNNYROCKET24 wrote:NOW 58% TO STFU

The poll is ruined. PaulusH ran an effective smear campaign against Bones and brought many people into the thread just to blindly vote instead of reading and discussing.

I guess something like this simply can't be handled maturely by the masses of CC.
Major denominator

Postby amazzony on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Yeah, poll means nothing after PaulusH sent out his hatemail and all the blind mice ran here, voting like PH said without realising the point of the thread, point of the vote or even point of tournaments. This hole thread has become ridiculous because 99% of the people have missed the point. I can't believe it but I miss Flame Wars. If it existed then you could flame Bones there and others, who really understand what's going on, could discuss the topic seriously but friendly.

JR, you've just proven how childish you are by posting 10 new exactly-same-tournaments to Create/Join. Whatever you tried to prove - you have not nor will do it.
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby HighlanderAttack on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Bones:

Never have I had 24 in create/join that were filling. Your numbers in almost all your posts continue to be over inflated.

I posted 14 in 1/4/09. I had maybe 4 still filling. So if there were 24 then 6 were in ongoing as well. When tourneys are filled and privileges are granted the posts are available in both ongoing and create/join tourneys for a few days.

My tourneys fill so fast they are never in there long and as a matter of fact a little over a week has passed and every tourney I created before 1/6 is in the ongoing.

Only twice have I created more than 5 tourneys in one day so for you to imply this is such a huge issue makes you way off base.

I also update all my tourneys weekly except for the one that I am missing the spreadsheet that cannot be re-created. It was lost in a move and I have kept that tourney alive in the hopes of finding the spreadsheet when I have time to go through all of my boxes. One tourney out of 105 so in my view your point is mute. I currently have 40 active tourneys and they all get updated in more of a timely manner than most tourneys. I use Monday-Wed to update all my tourneys and even when I have my child Thursday-Sunday I update after he goes to bed.

Stop trying to manipulate number to make your point.

Postby Lindax on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm

If y'all could stick to posting relevant stuff and stop getting personal etc., us Tournament Directors may have a chance to read through this and take note of the opinions and some of the good ideas presented in this topic.

Why can't we all just work together and make the tournament part of CC even better for everybody?

Lx

PS: This is not directed at anybody specific and if you posted relevant stuff just ignore my post please ;)
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby jpcloet on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

I vote for a lock now, there is no additional suggestions being made and the thread is diminishing. I think the TD's have enough ideas here to look at next steps.
Captain jpcloet

Postby Hopscotcher on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 pm

If Conquer Club is to be viewed as "An Economy"

Then..........

Players are the customers and games are the currency. Clans are the banks and Tournaments are the Stores.

Why would you close the stores to increase the economy?

If the tournaments are filling up and being run well, what is the problem? If people are dissatisfied, I would assume they would speak up.

My 2 cents added to the pool. Make a wish,
Hopper
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby denominator on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 am

Hopscotcher wrote:If Conquer Club is to be viewed as "An Economy"

Then..........

Players are the customers and games are the currency. Clans are the banks and Tournaments are the Stores.

Why would you close the stores to increase the economy?

If the tournaments are filling up and being run well, what is the problem? If people are dissatisfied, I would assume they would speak up.

My 2 cents added to the pool. Make a wish,
Hopper

To use your analogy, it's not like opening a bunch of new stores. The issue being discussed would be like opening a whole bunch of identical stores. It's like opening a bunch of Wal-Marts all side by side. Which is not a very effective economic strategy.
Major denominator

Postby Hopscotcher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 am

denominator wrote:To use your analogy, it's not like opening a bunch of new stores. The issue being discussed would be like opening a whole bunch of identical stores. It's like opening a bunch of Wal-Marts all side by side. Which is not a very effective economic strategy.

Why not? if they all draw players, what's the big issue? YOu don't want to play in a specific kind of tournament, don't bother lol.

If Walmart could open a whole block of Walmarts and they would all get customers, they would.
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby jpcloet on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 am

Hmmm a good twist to the conversation.

Good analogy, except this is more like Starbucks with a store every 2 blocks. If the demand is there, then the supply is reasonable. Also the sale is games, and most customers have fairly big budgets.
Captain jpcloet

Postby 72o on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:15 am

This is exactly my point. It's a supply and demand issue. If people didn't like the flood of similar tournaments, they wouldn't be getting filled. Since they are getting filled, there is not an oversupply.
Sergeant 72o

Postby Moya on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 pm

You are comparing apples to melons. One tournament is not the same as the other. If all tournaments would be the same your point would be greatfully accepted but. If you want to come up with economy comparison you have to have the same product. A 1v1 tournament cannot be compared to a team tournament cannot be compared to a 16 bracket tournament cannot be compared to a league tournament etc. You get the point. If tournaments fill up fast and are well maintained the problem still is at hand that the other products (as in different style tournaments) have to be found my the user and that's the issue we are discussing.
Private Moya

Postby barterer2002 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

There appears to be a sentiment out there that says if the tournaments fill up quickly then there is clearly a demand for them and there isn't an issue.

On the face of it this appears to be a reasonable idea.

On the other hand, If I start 20 tournaments today, all of them 1v1 16 player bracket style they could certainly fill in a day however its also likely that there would only be about 30 players in these 20 tournaments. From where I sit that isn't saying that there is a great demand for these, rather it says that there is a smaller segment of the population that will play as many of these as they can.

Thus for me, the point that 16 player 1v1 bracket style tournaments fill up quickly does not indicate that they are that popular unless I can see that there are a variety of different players joining them.
Major barterer2002

Postby YoursFalsey on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

barterer2002 wrote:There appears to be a sentiment out there that says if the tournaments fill up quickly then there is clearly a demand for them and there isn't an issue.

On the face of it this appears to be a reasonable idea.

On the other hand, If I start 20 tournaments today, all of them 1v1 16 player bracket style they could certainly fill in a day however its also likely that there would only be about 30 players in these 20 tournaments. From where I sit that isn't saying that there is a great demand for these, rather it says that there is a smaller segment of the population that will play as many of these as they can.

Thus for me, the point that 16 player 1v1 bracket style tournaments fill up quickly does not indicate that they are that popular unless I can see that there are a variety of different players joining them.

Whether the 20 16-player tournements are quickly filled by 30 players who really like 1v1 tournements or by 300 players who rarely overlap tourneys may make a difference in whether the the tournements are 'popular' but in either case, the fact that they quickly fill indicates that they are fulfilling a demand that exists here on CC. Since the organizers are volunteering their time, the demand exists, and un-fulfilled demand is what would lead people to be dissatisfied with their CC experience, why is this an issue exactly?

There is a valid point that the sheer number of tourneys makes it harder to find specific tournements, either by going through threads when signing up or on the pulldown menu in the gamefinder screen. Likewise, new tournement organizers may have to plug/tout their tourney to get it noticed. However, these issues have been only addressed tangentially in this thread and it is very clear that limiting the actions of a few prolific makers of quick tourneys is not the most feasible way to address these minor issues when their is a real demand for those quick tourneys. So can we find a way to adress the navigation issues that doesn't involve disallowing something that makes some CC users very happy and doesn't harm anyone else?
Good Omens: Round II of the Pratchett Invitational has begun
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=101870
which is a good omen that I'll start another tourney...
Coming soon: Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, the nuclear tourney...
Private YoursFalsey

PreviousNext

Return to Tournament Archives