Conquer Club

Freemium waiting

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Freemium waiting

Postby 12play on Sun May 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi. I have just won my first tournament game and am waiting for the other games in the round to finish. I have been waiting 24 hours now and none have seemed to progress much.

As a freemium, I am therefore now down to only 3 games. If I joined a 4th game elsewhere, when the round eventually finishes and my next tournament game starts, can I play that as well, and therefore be in 5 games? If not, do I get registered a loss in that game for not being able to join, or does the game just get defaulted to the other player?

Also, how do I know when the round finishes and my next game in the tournament starts? Do I get automatically notified?
Colonel 12play

Re: Freemium waiting

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 04, 2014 11:40 pm

12play wrote:Hi. I have just won my first tournament game and am waiting for the other games in the round to finish. I have been waiting 24 hours now and none have seemed to progress much.

As a freemium, I am therefore now down to only 3 games. If I joined a 4th game elsewhere, when the round eventually finishes and my next tournament game starts, can I play that as well, and therefore be in 5 games? If not, do I get registered a loss in that game for not being able to join, or does the game just get defaulted to the other player?

Also, how do I know when the round finishes and my next game in the tournament starts? Do I get automatically notified?

You haven't specified which tournament, so I have to speak in general terms.

Generally, when a tournament allows freemiums, it specifies how many slots you need to keep available. If you don't, you risk being kicked out of the tournament. Some organisers are more lenient and freemium-friendly than others, but unless the organiser has specifically said that he will wait for you to free up a slot, it is NOT safe to assume that he will. So yes, in most cases that slot you have reserved for the tournament has to stay reserved, and you need to resist the temptation to join other things with it.

How long does it takes for games to wrap up? Some people play slow, some play fast. Sometimes players are all in the same time zone and online at the same time, and they finish a game very quickly. Other times, their schedules just don't mesh, and they will take close to the full 24 hours for each turn. Generally speaking, a tournament composed of 1v1 (2 player games) will take about 2 weeks per round, whereas a tournament composed of 6-player games will take about 4 weeks per round, and a tournament composed of 12-player games might take 8 or 9 weeks per round. Those are very rough guidelines. Escalating games go faster than No Spoils or Flat Rate, small maps go faster than large maps, Sunny games are faster than Foggy games, and so on and so forth. There are a lot of variables.

How do you know how well the tournament is progressing? Well, for one thing you can go to the tournament thread and ask. However, not all tournament organisers check their tournament threads often enough, so if your question there goes unanswered for a while, you might want to send a Private Message or a Wall post to the tournament organiser.

Another way is to check the tournament yourself using Game Finder. There's a window on the Game Finder page that lets you type in the name of the tournament (and if you're not sure what the name is exactly, there's a little "Find a Tournament" window there where you can type in a partial name.) Then, check the "Active" box at the top near Game Status, and search. See how many games in the tournament are still active. An added bonus is that you can have a look at some of those games and sometimes you learn some things about the tricks your future opponents use.

If there are no active games, it's time to post in the tournament thread and let the organiser know. After that, he will probably update the tournament within a few days.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Freemium waiting

Postby 12play on Mon May 05, 2014 12:17 am

Thank you for that reply. The tournament is Freemium Polymorphic. It is an automatic tournament (not sure if it makes any difference?).

I did not see anywhere about how many slots need to be kept available. Where is that info usually displayed?

So again, as a freemium, I am therefore now down to only 3 games. If I joined a 4th game elsewhere, when the round eventually finishes and my next tournament game starts, can I play that as well, and therefore be in 5 games?

If not, do I get registered a loss in that game for not being able to join, or does the game just get defaulted to the other player?
Or would they just wait for one of my slots to open?

I have been checking the progress of the tournament by clicking Tournaments under My Games. So is that how I know my next game is ready? It automatically appears in My Games?
Colonel 12play

Return to Tournament Archives