For finished TPA, Championship and other great tournaments of the past

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: The Championships - 1v1 - [Round 3]

Postby agentcom on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks mc.
Colonel agentcom

Postby mcshanester29 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Since there have been no issues brought up with the lineup. The 1st set of games will go out shortly!!
Private mcshanester29

Postby ChrisPond on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:20 pm

I thought I had been eliminated. Have to admit I did not pay attention to how the tie breakers worked though. Thanks for the explanation as I did not understand how I had advanced.

Top Rank: 12 High Score: 3912
Colonel ChrisPond

Postby shoop76 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 am

According to the settings these games should not be fog. Rounds 2 and 3 were fog. 1 and 4 sunny. This way we wouldn't have been screwed from seeing the drop the same person.
Sergeant 1st Class shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby mcshanester29 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 pm

shoop76 wrote:According to the settings these games should not be fog. Rounds 2 and 3 were fog. 1 and 4 sunny. This way we wouldn't have been screwed from seeing the drop the same person.

The 1st half were done in fog and that was my fault I had told BW to go ahead with half sunny half fog. The 2nd set of games should be sunny. Unfortunately with the amount of games being played this round I don't see redoing all the games as every player received 16-19 games this set.
Private mcshanester29

Re: The Championships - 1v1 - [Round 4]

Postby agentcom on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Hey man, sorry for the complaints to follow. Enjoying and appreciating the tourney but ...

Yeah that really sucked. I didn't have this tourney on my "watch list" because I was expecting sunny games. Plus the games went out on a Friday night with no PM. In my experience that's a time when fewer people are on. And a lot of people only log in once Saturday morning to get their games in, which makes it hard for even the honest folks to wait the 12 hours. At least if there had been a PM, I might've known to take some snaps last night.
Colonel agentcom

Postby shoop76 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Mcshane, I really respect what you do for this site and I know that you got thrown into this tourney. In most tournaments when games are made incorrectly the tournament organizer will remake the games or at least ask the participants for their input. Unfortunately in this case all games are autocreated so no one could have checked the settings before joining.

We have 32 people left and 29 or 30 have enough courtesy to let their opponents get snaps. In my games 2 players played within the first 4 hours. I know agent has asked repeatedly for a heads up for new games for this tournament and the other championship events. But no response has been given.

These "championships" are supposed to be what cc tournaments are all about. I feel like the it was a great idea but that questions are not being answered and that the organizers and BigWham really don't care about them. Nothing against you mc, but just the whole events in general.

As for the wrong setting. I reported it as soon as I saw it and haven't taken any turns yet (I will now). Obviously a few people gained an advantage by taking turns before their opponents saw the board. This was already complained up in the last couple of rounds, but it was determined since the fog settings were right that nothing could be done about it. Now their wrong and its still happening. You said that round 4b will be sunny. You said that players had between 13 and 19 games for 4a. So everyone has different amounts of games right now. That means that some people will play more foggy or sunny games depending on the number of games they have in 4a or 4b.

I'll stop now, but I am unhappy about it. I know I will be in a tiny minority here, but I would like the games to be remade. This is the 1v1 championships, the biggest 1v1 tournament on this site, with prizes awarded. It should be run as advertised.
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Jippd on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:16 am

I agree that it should be run as advertised. Why can't the games be deleted and recreated? Would have been best to do it right away when the mistake was caught.

I also think that in future championship events (as it seems to not be happening in this one) a notice should be given at least 24 hours in advance before games are just created and sent out.
Major Jippd

Postby josko.ri on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:32 am

While at first I was not in favor of remaking, after reading shoop76's post I think they should be remade. The most for the reason that players play 13 to 19 games so there would be inequality in how many sunny games someone plays and how many foggy, where is a chance that opponents use advantage of not giving snapshot chance.

If only we all played equal amount of sunny/foggy games, then I would say let it go, but since it is not the case, I think fair solution is remaking.

I am also wondering how so amount of games per player is not 15+16 or 16+15. In last round we had the same se up (groups of 32 players) and games were equally divided to 15+16 per sets, so that is perfectly possible to do.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby agentcom on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:33 am

Wow. I didn't even know about players getting different amounts of games. If that's right ... I just can't think of why that would be the case.

Shoop, thanks for noticing my repeated inquiries. It has been a little disheartening to get literally no response on the subject. And that's what really burned me about this round. After sort of acknowledging to myself that it was an exercize in futility to ask for notifications, I just decided that I'd better be on top of things the next time a fog round went out. But then an unannounced fog round goes out. Surprise!

At this point, I'm not sure what the "right" answer is. But I do think that if games are going to be remade, it needs to happen RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, you are going to get some people that are having a good round, very, very, very upset when the remakes turn it into a bad round.

(Full disclosure: I'm almost certain that I would benefit from a remake just because I have so many 2nd turns this round. Trying not to let that affect my reasoning though.)
Colonel agentcom

Postby shoop76 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:17 am

In typical cc style let's ignore all issues and concerns. Now its too late to take any action even though issue was brought up soon after start of games.
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby mcshanester29 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:12 pm

shoop76 wrote:In typical cc style let's ignore all issues and concerns. Now its too late to take any action even though issue was brought up soon after start of games.

This is for everyone in the last few posts: Unlike some people I have a life out of CC and this is not my main priority. I have contacted BW to see what he wants to do as it is the Championship series and does not follow under normal tournament rules. So please have a little patience :roll:
Private mcshanester29

Postby mcshanester29 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:19 pm

After talking with BW every round after round 1 is supposed to be half fog and half sunny and was a typo in the description!
Private mcshanester29

Postby Jippd on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Sounds like a bs excuse for a mistake IMO.

Also how is half and half possible if people get different amounts of fog games and different amounts of sunny games due to the differing game counts in batches 1 and 2??
Major Jippd

Postby mcshanester29 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Jippd wrote:Sounds like a bs excuse for a mistake IMO.

Also how is half and half possible if people get different amounts of fog games and different amounts of sunny games due to the differing game counts in batches 1 and 2??

Well when I want your opinion I will be sure to ask for it. It is as close as it can be with the way the automated part is set up.
Private mcshanester29

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 am

mcshanester29 wrote:

Well when I want your opinion I will be sure to ask for it. It is as close as it can be with the way the automated part is set up.

Quality attitude and assistance from an experienced moderator!
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby mcshanester29 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:51 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
mcshanester29 wrote:

Quality attitude and assistance from an experienced moderator!

Thanks
Private mcshanester29

Postby agentcom on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:13 am

MC, I'm not really sure what the attitude is all about. Pretty much everyone here who has said anything is pretty even-keeled. We all tried to point this out ASAP so that it could be fixed.

As for this:

mcshanester29 wrote:After talking with BW every round after round 1 is supposed to be half fog and half sunny and was a typo in the description!

mcshanester29 wrote:
It is as close as it can be with the way the automated part is set up.

That's just not true. "As close as can be" would be to have 1/2 of the round be foggy and 1/2 sunny. Exactly what was in the description. The description wasn't a typo--it was working within the AT constraints to provide everyone the same number of fog and sunny games. The way this round went out is the mistake.

Maybe you're having a bad day. Maybe BW forgot how he set this up. But to strike back at us while giving that tenuous excuse isn't cool. Some of the people who will be eliminated this round can likely partially blame it on the screw-up. Some of the claims may hold less water than others. But for a tournament of this magnitude (it is The Championships, after all), I'd think you and BW would be a little more careful in the setup and the PR that goes into it.
Colonel agentcom

Postby mcshanester29 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:36 am

agentcom wrote:MC, I'm not really sure what the attitude is all about. Pretty much everyone here who has said anything is pretty even-keeled. We all tried to point this out ASAP so that it could be fixed.

As for this:

mcshanester29 wrote:After talking with BW every round after round 1 is supposed to be half fog and half sunny and was a typo in the description!

mcshanester29 wrote:
It is as close as it can be with the way the automated part is set up.

That's just not true. "As close as can be" would be to have 1/2 of the round be foggy and 1/2 sunny. Exactly what was in the description. The description wasn't a typo--it was working within the AT constraints to provide everyone the same number of fog and sunny games. The way this round went out is the mistake.

Maybe you're having a bad day. Maybe BW forgot how he set this up. But to strike back at us while giving that tenuous excuse isn't cool. Some of the people who will be eliminated this round can likely partially blame it on the screw-up. Some of the claims may hold less water than others. But for a tournament of this magnitude (it is The Championships, after all), I'd think you and BW would be a little more careful in the setup and the PR that goes into it.

When it comes to the sunny/fog matter I am relaying what BW told me in that all rounds after round 1 are 1/2 foggy and 1/2 sunny in Round 4 everyone will be playing in 31 games which means you can't have it exactly half as 1 game can't be partly foggy and partly sunny. As close as it can be in the way the automation is setup is exactly what was told to me by BW.

Maybe the reason I am a little frustrated is because I am just the middle man. I just go through the hundreds of games to figure out all the tiebreakers for each round and give that info to BW. Oh and for the record this wasn't my tourney. And yes I do have a life outside of CC so I am not going to put my life on hold for CC.

I know not everyone is going to like it, you can call it bs or bad attitute or whatever you want...at this point it is what it is.
Private mcshanester29

Postby Serbia on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Another stellar automated tournament, from the sounds of it. mcshanester29, I feel for you buddy. Glad I got out when I did.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby owenshooter on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Serbia wrote:Another stellar automated tournament, from the sounds of it. mcshanester29, I feel for you buddy. Glad I got out when I did.

hey... when i want your opinion, i'll ask for it...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Gamefreakguy on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 pm

Hello, I'd just like to say that the tragedy of the sunny/foggy issue has been overhyped. Each game is a matchup between one player and another and thus still adequately reflects 1v1 skill. In the future it would be great to have the diversity that was intended but for now it's really ok.

If players are playing different numbers of games each round, I hope they are not qualified or eliminated based off points earned from that bias.

Altogether, thanks for running this tournament, I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the field narrowing...!
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby Clanlord Carl on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:25 am

Great tourney - thank-you

At this 'standard' if whether a game is foggy or not bothers you then i suggest you need to up your game.
I don't even bother with snaps i play by sense of smell - and optimise the expected points gain plus and minus each turn.
Colonel Clanlord Carl

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 pm

see below
Last edited by t4mcr53s2 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
General t4mcr53s2

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Clanlord Carl wrote:Great tourney - thank-you

At this 'standard' if whether a game is foggy or not bothers you then i suggest you need to up your game.
I don't even bother with snaps i play by sense of smell - and optimise the expected points gain plus and minus each turn.

you're a pinball wizard you are , Carl...
thanks to MC for volunteering and respect the" i have a life", and my sympathy to those who were done out of an even chance at good and bad luck ... I'm not a coder but yeah i'd have thought an auto-tourney could divide 31 into 15 and 16 not 17 and 14 ...

i'll keep giving fog coutesy and past posting when asked, except if someones identified as lurking on the watch list to take turns aat a minute, lets make sure not to give them courtesy if we're lucky enough to have the chance; they'll still be taking an advatage that others choose to forgo , but why let them maximize it

another vote for opening snaps

Cool deals still got the bigest shafting ; 20 of 29 and got eliminated
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
General t4mcr53s2

PreviousNext

Return to Super Events/Special Tournaments