Conquer Club

Ideal Reserve Policy: CC Dispatch Article

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Ideal Reserve Policy: CC Dispatch Article

Postby WorldCup4James on Thu May 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Hello all,

I'll be writing up a brief feature article for the Conquer Club Dispatch (Tournaments section) on what the ideal reserve policy is for various types of tournaments. If you're a relatively frequent tournament organiser feel free to respond with any comments; good quotes that I see will be featured (along with your name as credit). Here's what I'd like to focus on,

• Should the reserve policy vary between types of tournaments (such as round-robin, single-elimination "knock-out", team tournaments)?
  • How many invites (or, otherwise, how many days) is ideal to allow a player to join a tourney game?
  • Lenient or strict enforcement with the reserve policy; should it depend on if the player is premium or non-premium?
  • When is it better to simply give opponents a victory by forfeit instead of replacing the missing player with a reserve?
  • Any other comments you have related are always welcome!

Basically, what's your personal philosophy on dealing with absences in your tournaments specifically?

Thanks guys, as a new organiser this has always bothered me, how to deal with missing players when real life comes knocking on the Conquer Club door.
Sergeant 1st Class WorldCup4James

Re: Ideal Reserve Policy: CC Dispatch Article

Postby IcePack on Thu May 24, 2012 8:30 pm

• Should the reserve policy vary between types of tournaments (such as round-robin, single-elimination "knock-out", team tournaments)? I believe so, yes.
  • How many invites (or, otherwise, how many days) is ideal to allow a player to join a tourney game? I usually prefer a maximum of two invites, with 12-24 hours apart in case they are aware for personal reasons etc.
  • Lenient or strict enforcement with the reserve policy; should it depend on if the player is premium or non-premium? In my mind it has less to do with premium or non-premium, but more with the tournament. Is it a fast paced tournament? Then strict, if there are tournament games lagging anyway, there is no need realistically to be strict with it if a player is faced with a temporary need to wait.
  • When is it better to simply give opponents a victory by forfeit instead of replacing the missing player with a reserve?
    Generally if the tournament is further along i would give a forfeit instead or replacement, but if its in the beginning stages definitely fill in a reserve. Again, this depends on your tournament set up however.
  • Any other comments you have related are always welcome! Only a few of these seem centered on reserve policy, but I decided to answer anyway for you ;).
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby WorldCup4James on Thu May 24, 2012 8:33 pm

IcePack wrote:
  • Should the reserve policy vary between types of tournaments (such as round-robin, single-elimination "knock-out", team tournaments)? I believe so, yes.
  • How many invites (or, otherwise, how many days) is ideal to allow a player to join a tourney game? I usually prefer a maximum of two invites, with 12-24 hours apart in case they are aware for personal reasons etc.
  • Lenient or strict enforcement with the reserve policy; should it depend on if the player is premium or non-premium? In my mind it has less to do with premium or non-premium, but more with the tournament. Is it a fast paced tournament? Then strict, if there are tournament games lagging anyway, there is no need realistically to be strict with it if a player is faced with a temporary need to wait.
    Generally if the tournament is further along i would give a forfeit instead or replacement, but if its in the beginning stages definitely fill in a reserve. Again, this depends on your tournament set up however.
  • Any other comments you have related are always welcome! Only a few of these seem centered on reserve policy, but I decided to answer anyway for you ;).

Thanks IcePack :D I'll certainly be adding more questions as I think of them :)
Sergeant 1st Class WorldCup4James

Postby mcshanester29 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:16 pm

• Should the reserve policy vary between types of tournaments (such as round-robin, single-elimination "knock-out", team tournaments)? I think it has to be flexible because different tournaments have different requirements
  • How many invites (or, otherwise, how many days) is ideal to allow a player to join a tourney game? I try to give at least 48hrs
  • Lenient or strict enforcement with the reserve policy; should it depend on if the player is premium or non-premium? If it is posted in the tournament rules I think you should keep it fairly strict as that is what everyone is counting on you enforcing the rules. Although if someone pm's me and says i.e "I will be gone for five days do you think we can postpone my invites till then" I will try to be lenient as they were good enough to let me know instead of just not accepting the invites.
  • When is it better to simply give opponents a victory by forfeit instead of replacing the missing player with a reserve? I think if you are pretty far into the tournament this is acceptable, say half way through the number of games...of course once again depends on the tournament setup. If you play three games through the whole tourney to win...then winning one by forfeit will not get you your minimum three games played to get the Tourney achievement medal ;)
  • Any other comments you have related are always welcome!
I think some tournaments you can get away without any or just a couple of reserves such as a small 1 vs 1 tournament 16-32 players. Where if you have a tournament with 128 players with several games each round and looks like it will go almost a year you would need to have some reserves at least.

Basically, what's your personal philosophy on dealing with absences in your tournaments specifically?
I try to be lenient as possible once again depending on the tourney, like icepack said if its a fast paced tournament and one person is holding it up by not accepting invites..get them replaced quickly :)
Private mcshanester29

Return to Tournament Archives