Conquer Club

Sergeant-or-under Tournaments

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Sergeant-or-under Tournaments

Postby jonofperu on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:21 pm

I've hosted a couple of tournaments for players ranked Sergeant or lower.
"ENLISTED 16 - Australia" http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179480
"ENLISTED 16 - Luxembourg" http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180560

The concept is that friends and family I've invited to CC and others like them might enjoy a tournament designed for people that are new to CC.
These tournaments have been "Freemium friendly" in that participants can play their games one-at-a-time.

But I'm thinking there are really 2 different groups of people that have been playing the tournaments.
And it might be better to split up and offer 2 kinds of tournaments:

ENLISTED 16 - premium
ENLISTED 16 - new2CC (new to Conquer Club)

The premium version could feature more "complex" maps and maybe 5 games per match (to make it less of a luck-of-the-drop thing who advances).
It would be premium only.
These tournaments would be designed for experienced players with scores under 1600. The rationale is that tournaments are often created for players above a certain rank, but there aren't many for this bracket. Making a category separate from the freemium version would make the tournament faster since you wouldn't have to wait on people to finish their 1-at-a-time matches and we could play 5 game matches (which appeals to me as more fair).

The "new2CC" version would probably feature simple maps (Doodle Earth next?). It would allow freemiums and give them the option of 1-at-a-time.
It would be limited to players with LESS than 200 games played (for example).

The idea is that rank isn't a very reliable indication of skill - especially with experienced players.
New players are at a distinct disadvantage, but would enjoy competing in a tournament.
So the "new2CC" category "protects" those new players by matching them up against people with a similar level of experience and rank.

But I'm concerned that experienced players with free accounts could get gypped.
Any other problems you see?

If you're interested in participating let me know what maps you would like.
I'm thinking the next 2 tourneys would be:

ENLISTED 16 (premium): Determined by vote?
ENLISTED 16 (new2CC): Doodle Earth

I think I'll ask players to vote for the map in the premium version. Should it use FOG? Lots of great maps out there if this is something people want to do.
Colonel jonofperu

Re: Sergeant-or-under Tournaments

Postby King Edward 3rd on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:04 am

sounds good to me to split up maps & settings can be determined at sign up. And again I thought u did a great job on the 1st tourament
Sergeant 1st Class King Edward 3rd

Postby floridad on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:28 am

I would like to see you keep it simple. Best out of 5 is good and helps with balancing lucky beginning placements at the start of games. So would double elimination and if you happened to begin against an expert, you still have a chance to play a few rounds.
Sergeant 1st Class floridad

Postby NDCAtokR on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:47 am

I like everything about both types of tourneys except the premium/ freemium requirement. Like you said: experienced freemiums could get gyped. Perhaps the differentiating factor between the two could solely be based on the number of matches and complexity of the maps? For example: new2CC tourney exactly how you have the Enlisted16 set up, but only with simple maps (i.e. no maps with autodeploy regions, etc.) like Doodle Earth, and no more than 3 rounds, and the Premium being a mirror of that: maps that have more than just territories to conquer; those that require a bit more strategy (i.e.: Conquer Rome) , while that being the best of 5.
Lieutenant NDCAtokR

Postby jonofperu on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. The reason I would go premium only for one is that it could really drag out if we had someone playing one game at a time through 5 game matches.
Colonel jonofperu

Postby seeminkey on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Ive had fun, either way is fine with me though... Maybe we could do a manual initial troops instead of automatic sometime that way even if a drop is unfair they dont start with 3, 3, and 3 in one territory? Either way is good with me though, fog is fun.
Cook seeminkey

Postby jonofperu on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:25 am

Created the new tourneys:

New2CC: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=181660
Vets: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=181659

Decided to keep the vets open to freemium, but they have to keep 3 spots open.
Colonel jonofperu

Return to Tournament Archives