Moderator: Community Team

Eliminate foe list for Battle Royales

Postby wrestler1ump on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:54 pm

Concise description:
  • Disable foe list function for battle royale games

Specifics:
  • Allow any player to join

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • One person ruins it for everybody when they put someone on their foe list and won't let them in a 50 player game
  • The only people who get to play in these games are newbies who haven't had a chance to get on a foe list
  • Every paying member deserves to get to play in the battle royales, whether or not they are popular
  • It won't take nearly as long for battle royales to fill up, thus more battle royales can be played
  • It is nearly impossible to suicide on someone you don't like in a battle royale game, yet selfish people won't remove others from their foe list for the game.
[code][/code]
Corporal wrestler1ump

Re: Eliminate foe list for Battle Royales

Postby gdeangel on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Don't you have to be invited into the Battle royale in the first place??
My ever constant two last games seem to have no end in sight!
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby wrestler1ump on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Sort of. They have the password in the forums, but if you PM the mod who started the game they will also give you the password. It still means foe lists are active though.
Corporal wrestler1ump

Postby hwhrhett on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:01 pm

wrestler1ump wrote:Concise description:

Specifics:

• One person ruins it for everybody when they put someone on their foe list and won't let them in a 50 player game
  • The only people who get to play in these games are newbies who haven't had a chance to get on a foe list
  • Every paying member deserves to get to play in the battle royales, whether or not they are popular
  • It won't take nearly as long for battle royales to fill up, thus more battle royales can be played
  • It is nearly impossible to suicide on someone you don't like in a battle royale game, yet selfish people won't remove others from their foe list for the game.
[code][/code]

#1. battle royales never take long to fill.
#2. how long it takes for a battle royale to fill has nothing to do with how often they happen. they are heavy load on the server.
#3. i believe you are on most peoples ignore lists because of your mouth, and not because of your play style.
#4. most players dont have a problem getting into a battle royale because they are not on many ignore lists. last time there was a battle royale i found out i was on someones ignore list, msged them about it, and they removed me. the only reason it is an issue for you, is because you set out to intentionally piss people off and you cannot expect to be granted amnesty when you go out of your way to do so.
Cook hwhrhett

Postby wrestler1ump on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm

It's not about me it's about the site.
Corporal wrestler1ump

Postby wicked on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm

couldn't have said it better myself hwhrhett. =D> I too was PM'd on the last one to remove someone from my foe list, and I did and they joined in plenty of time. Actually, if by having a few foes excluded stretches the fill time from 5 minutes to an hour, than that's actually a good thing. ;)
Major wicked

Postby hwhrhett on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:09 pm

wrestler1ump wrote:How about keeping it on topic if that's not too big of a task for you?!?! Jesus you people are stupid. If you won't understand it, I'll make it more clear: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT ME. IT IS ABOUT THE SITE. NOW IF YOU WANT TO FLAME ME, THERE IS A FLAME FORUM ON THIS SITE WHERE I WOULD BE HAPPY TO DUKE IT OUT. HOWEVER, FORUMS SUCH AS THE SUGGESTIONS AND GENERAL DISCUSSION ARE NOT HERE FOR FLAMING. THE PERSON WHO MADE THE POST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AUTHOR ITSELF.

Hope you understand that.

i think that my response was very on topic, and i would be pleased if you did not berate me via pm. whats the point of making a thread if your going to pm everybody whos opinion you dont like?

although i did find highly amusing that the person who made the post has nothing to do with the author :-)
Last edited by hwhrhett on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cook hwhrhett

Postby wrestler1ump on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:10 pm

wicked wrote:couldn't have said it better myself hwhrhett. =D> I too was PM'd on the last one to remove someone from my foe list, and I did and they joined in plenty of time. Actually, if by having a few foes excluded stretches the fill time from 5 minutes to an hour, than that's actually a good thing. ;)

Yes but there is no advantage to be gained by having a foe list active during battle royale games. The last 20 or so people that join are going to be n00bs anyways so it's really first come first serve. Someone with an extensive foe list could block hundreds of people from playing.
Corporal wrestler1ump

Postby wicked on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:19 pm

The foe list is there for a reason and people are on it, for the most part, for very good reasons. When I put someone on my foe list, I am guaranteed to never have to play them again without my knowledge. If I don't want to play you, I don't want to play you, suck it up. :lol:

BTW, this has been suggested before and it never gets done.
Major wicked

Postby cicero on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:26 pm

wicked wrote:The foe list is there for a reason and people are on it, for the most part, for very good reasons. When I put someone on my foe list, I am guaranteed to never have to play them again without my knowledge. If I don't want to play you, I don't want to play you, suck it up. :lol:

BTW, this has been suggested before and it never gets done.

Excuse me if I wander a little from the topic, but is the bold part right ?

If I add JoeFoe to my foe list and I then go to join a game with him already in it ... there is no warning of any kind I think ?
So, unless I memorise my foe list, it is quite possible to end up playing JoeFoe again ?

If of course I join the game first then JoeFoe won't be able to join, but if it's the other way round ...
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby KoE_Sirius on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:29 pm

hwhrhett wrote:

Specifics:

[code][/code]

#2. how long it takes for a battle royale to fill has nothing to do with how often they happen. they are heavy load on the server.
#3. i believe you are on most peoples ignore lists because of your mouth, and not because of your play style.
#4. most players dont have a problem getting into a battle royale because they are not on many ignore lists. last time there was a battle royale i found out i was on someones ignore list, msged them about it, and they removed me. the only reason it is an issue for you, is because you set out to intentionally piss people off and you cannot expect to be granted amnesty when you go out of your way to do so.

So basically going by what you say if wrestler1ump joins second in a battle royal game we are all screwed then,because wrestler1ump works on a foe for foe basis.Yep refering to the #3 on your list..That game should never start...Oh bliss. [-X
Well you prob' all know my stance on this subject .If you don't then I think you should disable the foe list whenever possible. :)
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:42 pm

wicked wrote:The foe list is there for a reason and people are on it, for the most part, for very good reasons.

Well as we have seen from several of the foe list threads here that simply isn't true. For normal games I can accept this but for BR and tourneys there really shouldn't be any foe lists.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby hwhrhett on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:56 pm

KoE_Sirius wrote:
hwhrhett wrote:

Specifics:

[code][/code]

So basically going by what you say if wrestler1ump joins second in a battle royal game we are all screwed then,because wrestler1ump works on a foe for foe basis.Yep refering to the #3 on your list..That game should never start...Oh bliss. [-X
Well you prob' all know my stance on this subject .If you don't then I think you should disable the foe list whenever possible. :)

it would be quite a travesty to assume that wrestler puts hundreds of active players on his ignore list, and then complaining about it when its the other way around. ill give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that hes not that hypocritical. however if he was doing so, and managed to get into a battle royale first so that only people that arent on his foe list can join, i wouldnt complain, because it changes nothing. no matter how stupid the reasons he put someone on his foe list are, he shouldnt HAVE to play them. and im sure the game would still fill in a reasonable ammount of time.
Cook hwhrhett

Postby wicked on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:
wicked wrote:The foe list is there for a reason and people are on it, for the most part, for very good reasons.

Well as we have seen from several of the foe list threads here that simply isn't true. For normal games I can accept this but for BR and tourneys there really shouldn't be any foe lists.

That's why I said for the most part. Klobber should be banned from BR's.
Major wicked

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:

I agree with each of these points ... that is, MOST people use foe lists to not play with folks who have been plain and absolute jerks to them. A few use it otherwise ... and there are already at least 4 threads discussing this and possible solutions for general games.

HOWEVER, Battles Royale and Tournament, ought to be overridden. If you joing these games you should be told that foe lists won't be honored and they shouldn't be.

HOWEVER, there could be some folks who abuse this and therefore get to be on a MOD/Tournament director specific foe list that is ONLY for Battles Royale and such... but that would almost certainly (hopefully) be a pretty small group, and only the Mods (or a group of mods) and tournament directors should be have access. Also, unlike regular foe lists, those postings mabye should be "appealable"? There would have to be real reason specific to the tournament/Battle Royale.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby hwhrhett on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 pm

i think the real question is: has anyone had someone refuse to remove them from an ignore list when requested for battle royale or tournament purposes?

ive been asked before, and i obliged. and i have asked people and always been obliged.

btw, the person who i had to ask to remove me from ignore list for last br, was someone who i had never played a single with. they removed me from their list within minutes.
Cook hwhrhett

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:18 pm

hwhrhett wrote:i think the real question is: has anyone had someone refuse to remove them from an ignore list when requested for battle royale or tournament purposes?

ive been asked before, and i obliged. and i have asked people and always been obliged.

btw, the person who i had to ask to remove me from ignore list for last br, was someone who i had never played a single with. they removed me from their list within minutes.

I have a small foe list. Everyone on there (with one forum-related exception) is there because they were an absolute jerk. (sending repeated nasty pms' etc.) I would remove them for tournament or Battle Royales, but would want to put them back... and that would be a hassle.

Making a tournament/Battle Royale exception would just save everyone grief, particularly if there were a seperate "BR"/Tournament ONLY list (administered by mods and/or tournament organizers)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby wrestler1ump on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:41 am

You see hwhrhett, this was a good topic to discuss and you tried to troll the thread. Thanks to those who gave their opinions on the suggestion.

I have at least 50 people on my foe list, but I did not complain in this thread about the list, so I don't know where hwhrhett is getting his facts from.
Corporal wrestler1ump

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:49 am

While the foe list is intended to be, and usually is, a way to fend off unacceptable players... it isn't always that way. The foe list is easily, and occasionally, used as a sort of weapon. Also, there exist overly-sensitive players, with a itchy finger on the foe button. I do not think I am on any foe lists (except Klobber's), but this is still a real issue.

Can you imagine what would happen if Klobber joined a BR? Sure, the "game would still fill up quickly"... but half the site's active membership would be banned from the game.

The problem with the foe list is that it doesn't only keep people away from YOU, it affects every game you join. So if you have a personal issue, it intrudes into the play experience of unrelated third parties. The first, simplest step to fixing this would be to lift Foe list restrictions from BRs.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby wrestler1ump on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:While the foe list is intended to be, and usually is, a way to fend off unacceptable players... it isn't always that way. The foe list is easily, and occasionally, used as a sort of weapon. Also, there exist overly-sensitive players, with a itchy finger on the foe button. I do not think I am on any foe lists (except Klobber's), but this is still a real issue.

Can you imagine what would happen if Klobber joined a BR? Sure, the "game would still fill up quickly"... but half the site's active membership would be banned from the game.

The problem with the foe list is that it doesn't only keep people away from YOU, it affects every game you join. So if you have a personal issue, it intrudes into the play experience of unrelated third parties. The first, simplest step to fixing this would be to lift Foe list restrictions from BRs.

I would recommend allowing people to join games with their foes in them. However every time someone has a foe join a game they are in, they should get a Private message stating that this person has joined their game, and give them the chance to drop out of the game. This prevents abuse.
Corporal wrestler1ump

Postby hwhrhett on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 pm

wrestler1ump wrote:You see hwhrhett, this was a good topic to discuss and you tried to troll the thread. Thanks to those who gave their opinions on the suggestion.

I have at least 50 people on my foe list, but I did not complain in this thread about the list, so I don't know where hwhrhett is getting his facts from.

stop accusing me of things, i dont think ive been 'trolling' at all, i made articulate arguements. just because i dont agree with you, doesnt mean that you have to bash me.
Cook hwhrhett

Postby Ditocoaf on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:04 pm

wrestler1ump wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:While the foe list is intended to be, and usually is, a way to fend off unacceptable players... it isn't always that way. The foe list is easily, and occasionally, used as a sort of weapon. Also, there exist overly-sensitive players, with a itchy finger on the foe button. I do not think I am on any foe lists (except Klobber's), but this is still a real issue.

I would recommend allowing people to join games with their foes in them. However every time someone has a foe join a game they are in, they should get a Private message stating that this person has joined their game, and give them the chance to drop out of the game. This prevents abuse.

This is actually one of the better ideas I've heard. It still allows complete freedom for everybody, (and if player A foes player B, I can still play player B all I want, even if player A joins my game), but it still means that you're never forced to play a game against a foe.

Brilliant. wrestler, I applaud you.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby wrestler1ump on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:31 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:
wrestler1ump wrote:

This is actually one of the better ideas I've heard. It still allows complete freedom for everybody, (and if player A foes player B, I can still play player B all I want, even if player A joins my game), but it still means that you're never forced to play a game against a foe.

We could even make a new suggestion thread about this new idea and in a couple years we might have a 1 in 5 chance that the mods will put it into action.
Corporal wrestler1ump

Postby firth4eva on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:12 am

I wholeheartedly agree. I hate loads of pm's asking me to take people off ignore.
Captain firth4eva

Postby firth4eva on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:18 am

Ditocoaf wrote:
wrestler1ump wrote:

Nah, they can choose to kick the foe out. I don't wanna be dropping all my games because my foe is in them.
Captain firth4eva

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions