Conquer Club

Mafia and You

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mafia and You

Postby pancakemix on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:54 pm

ga7 wrote:Hahah, it was a good initiative by Jnd there's no denying that :P
After reading Kalish's post a bit more thoroughly (I'm used to skim everything he writes really... ;)) most things are sound but I disagree on one: I really don't think in the current state of affairs that much activity would be required. I'd be more than happy if everyone was posting content at least once a day heh, usually it's enough to have a smooth game. (that means come back Kalish btw, all my favorite scumzors are gone :cry:

I'm not one of your favorite scumzors? :(
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby ga7 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 pm

Of course there's some vets still active I like as scum as you and Sierra, but I was more meaning scumzors as "the one I will vote day 1" kind like Sierra and Kalish :D
Anarkistsdream wrote:If you guys can't tell that Doom is being forced to post this drivel, you are fools...
Lieutenant ga7

Postby pancakemix on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 pm

ga7 wrote:Of course there's some vets still active I like as scum as you and Sierra, but I was more meaning scumzors as "the one I will vote day 1" kind like Sierra and Kalish :D

K then.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby ga7 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 pm

And by Sierra I meant Serbia. :oops:
Anarkistsdream wrote:If you guys can't tell that Doom is being forced to post this drivel, you are fools...
Lieutenant ga7

Postby Fircoal on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:18 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:Well done Jnd. =D>

Wait a second. Jnd has just done something useful.
:-k
If this is followed by Fircoal acting mature, then we may be looking at the signs of the Apocalypse. :shock:

Just kidding Jnd.

How about me? :cry:
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Fircoal on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:19 pm

ga7 wrote:Of course there's some vets still active I like as scum as you and Sierra, but I was more meaning scumzors as "the one I will vote day 1" kind like Sierra and Kalish :D

again, how about me?
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby nagerous on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:10 pm

You're not active.
Captain nagerous

Postby ga7 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:16 pm

That. And I prefer Nag as pro-town hero (which he almost always is anyway) :D
Lieutenant ga7

Postby jnd94 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:00 pm

lol chu, feelin low on your self-esteem? :lol:
Captain jnd94

Postby Fircoal on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:37 pm

jnd94 wrote:lol chu, feelin low on your self-esteem? :lol:

yes... :/
Captain Fircoal

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:42 am

Might want to also post that "vote hopping" is generally considered a scumtell and maybe expand further on the different types of games that we have here in regards to the c-9, cc-9, non-vanilla, themed etc... and the recommended experience level for them like

c-9 and cc-9 for noobs
non-vanilla intermediate to advanced although it is sometimes fun to watch a noob screw up a power role like kwan did for me in his first game :D
themed beginner, intermediate, and advanced although usually best to ask the mod about it as most themed games are for at least intermediate levels.
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby Its Bolt on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:01 am

For more tells standard to slightly complex, you can add

Fencing - Players who never take strong stances except on players who the town as a whole have started to declare town or scum are more often scum then not. These types of views are common from scum and (unfortunately) new town given that they are easy to change when needed, without going against something they have said before and being called out on changing a stance at a time that is convinant to them. If not lynched these players should be forced to give some in depth opinions of people.

Action/Vote descrepincies - This one is pretty simple, but at the same time hard to figure out when its an actual tell. If a player starts attacking a player to an ammount where suspicion is obvious to an observer, but has a vote on a higher wagon, watch the person who was attacked. Distancing is best done when a partner is under either no suspicion, or is in a bad place. If a player is attacking scum when they have no chance of being lynched, they are more then likely scum just gaining town points for whoever dies first. This also applies to pushing a townie wagon while keeping a vote on a player who is not getting too many votes, regardless of the voted players alignment.

Chainsaw Defense - If townie A is attacking scum B, at times a defensive manuver by the scum C is to attack townie A. This indirectly defends his parter on two terms. First, townie A gains suspicion, and if the case is strong enough, may draw votes away from scum B. Second though is having townie A under suspicion does hurt his case since people begin to doubt his alignment more then they would with no case out there. If player B flips town, player C is a good vig the next night.

A few more uncommon but good roles

Weak doctor - Acts like a normal doctor, but if they protect mafia they get killed
Hider - Chooses a player to hide with and is safe from all night actions, if they hide with mafia or a player who gets killed they die
Watcher - Gets the names of all people who targeted the player he watches
Tracker - Gets the name of anyone his target targeted
Bus Driver - Switches two players so anyone targeting one targets the other
Lieutenant Its Bolt

Postby Nickbaldwin on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:30 pm

Its Bolt wrote:For more tells standard to slightly complex, you can add

Fencing - Players who never take strong stances except on players who the town as a whole have started to declare town or scum are more often scum then not. These types of views are common from scum and (unfortunately) new town given that they are easy to change when needed, without going against something they have said before and being called out on changing a stance at a time that is convinant to them. If not lynched these players should be forced to give some in depth opinions of people.

You're not taking into account an individuals personality. Some players tend to be like this, because they are not confident, maybe because they haven't played many games or maybe because they were lynched for being outspoken before.
LOCK THIS FUCKING THREAD.
Captain Nickbaldwin

Postby Its Bolt on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Nickbaldwin wrote:
Its Bolt wrote:For more tells standard to slightly complex, you can add

You're not taking into account an individuals personality. Some players tend to be like this, because they are not confident, maybe because they haven't played many games or maybe because they were lynched for being outspoken before.

I actually see it as a very consistant scumtell, especially amung beginner scum who dont want to make waves at all. It takes some time to get confident, but confidence is something that eventually just comes naturally after you play enough games. If someone gets lynched for being outspoken as opposed to being craplogic though, chances are its scum driven since being vocal is something that is good for the town regardless of what the alignment of the outspoken is, as in a town gets their point accross and becomes dangerous for the town, and scum gets more attention and is more likely to slip or have something they say catch up to them.
Holy crap! Its Bolt the super dog!
Lieutenant Its Bolt

Postby Suspect101 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:57 pm

I have been thinking about playing CC mafia for a few months now. I have been a member for almost a year and never posted. I first played the game on a church retreat and thought it was quite fun. I keep looking at the games, but I am scared to join because I am not exactly sure how to play the different styles or how well it works over the internet. In real life it works a little better because you can read people faces and expressions.

I am wondering if someone would be willing to moderate a generic mafia game for newcomers to get the hang of. I am also not sure of all of the acronyms like WIMOF (I think that is right, forgot where I saw this), FOS, JOAT and so on. If someone could post these that would be great as well. I just do not want to join and then do something silly and get myself or an innocent killed for not knowing how to play.

I have read all the rules and the basic information that jnd94 posted and all of the comments on this page. I have also been looking through a couple of the games and it seems really fun. So could someone do this for a beginner, or is this not going to happen and it is a sink or swim kind of deal?

Also I have been thinking about buying premium membership, but not sure if it is worth it. I constantly read about how people play too much and do not get enough done, but also hear about how fun speed games are. Can anyone please comment on this as well.

It would be really appreciated. Thanks :)
Sergeant Suspect101

Postby pmchugh on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:07 am

Suspect101 wrote:I have been thinking about playing CC mafia for a few months now. I have been a member for almost a year and never posted. I first played the game on a church retreat and thought it was quite fun. I keep looking at the games, but I am scared to join because I am not exactly sure how to play the different styles or how well it works over the internet. In real life it works a little better because you can read people faces and expressions.

I am wondering if someone would be willing to moderate a generic mafia game for newcomers to get the hang of. I am also not sure of all of the acronyms like WIMOF (I think that is right, forgot where I saw this), FOS, JOAT and so on. If someone could post these that would be great as well. I just do not want to join and then do something silly and get myself or an innocent killed for not knowing how to play.

I have read all the rules and the basic information that jnd94 posted and all of the comments on this page. I have also been looking through a couple of the games and it seems really fun. So could someone do this for a beginner, or is this not going to happen and it is a sink or swim kind of deal?

Also I have been thinking about buying premium membership, but not sure if it is worth it. I constantly read about how people play too much and do not get enough done, but also hear about how fun speed games are. Can anyone please comment on this as well.

It would be really appreciated. Thanks :)

Everyone starts out as a noob, feel free to join games and post as long as you follow the rules of the game you will be fine. Newbie games come up every now and then but if no-one does one soon just join a relatively simple game, if you've been watching for as long as you say you have I'm sure you'll be fine.

Acronyms:
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Commonly_used_abbreviations
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Suspect101 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Thank-you,

Your wiki page is very helpful.
Sergeant Suspect101

Postby Gamefreakguy on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Hey guys, I have a question. :) I read through this topic and a few of the game topics and I can't understand how the story that the game is based off of has very much affect on the game. Does it?

Are people really playing the parts of the characters from the specific stories? Or is that just purely for entertainment purposes?

Thanks! This looks really interesting but right at this moment I can't commit the time to it.
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby Skittles! on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:03 am

The themes mods use for the mafia is mainly for entertainment. Of course, you don't need a theme to play mafia, however it allows the players and the mods to enjoy the game more. If a strict theme is picked, the game follows the storyline and so more things can be added.

Hope that helps.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Serbia on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:35 pm

ga7 wrote:And by Sierra I meant Serbia. :oops:

I was going to complain too.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:53 pm

Skittles! wrote:The themes mods use for the mafia is mainly for entertainment. Of course, you don't need a theme to play mafia, however it allows the players and the mods to enjoy the game more. If a strict theme is picked, the game follows the storyline and so more things can be added.

Hope that helps.

Sometimes though mods just do that to add flavor while other times mods use it to make "sense" of roles. I known I intentionally don't try to get players to play the mod and have on more then one occasion had town kill off its own side by not believing how that character was listed since too me it is too easy to say Chief Wigham from Simpsons has to be the cop(not that I modded that game), but to me that is playing the mod instead of playing the actual game.
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby Squirrels Hat on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:26 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to post questions on mafia, but I will anyway.

Do you guys have any sort of restrictions on who can mod a game? I was recently talking to an old friend of mine (who I used to play mafia with) and we were discussing some of the wacky roles that popped up in our old games. I was thinking of possibly making a game on this forum that included all of the strangest roles that I could remember from my old mafia forum. Am I allowed to, or do I have to do something in order to become a mod?
Private Squirrels Hat

Postby AceArtemis on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Squirrels Hat wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to post questions on mafia, but I will anyway.

Do you guys have any sort of restrictions on who can mod a game? I was recently talking to an old friend of mine (who I used to play mafia with) and we were discussing some of the wacky roles that popped up in our old games. I was thinking of possibly making a game on this forum that included all of the strangest roles that I could remember from my old mafia forum. Am I allowed to, or do I have to do something in order to become a mod?

We don't have any restrictions about modding here, but nobody will join your game if they think you are a complete noob. So, you just have to show that you have some idea what you are doing, and you'll be good to go.
Lieutenant AceArtemis

Postby pmchugh on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 pm

Squirrels Hat wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to post questions on mafia, but I will anyway.

I would back you as a mod you seem to know enough about mafia and if you have experience from elsewhere (or as a multi ;) ) then go for it!
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Squirrels Hat on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 pm

pmchugh wrote:I would back you as a mod you seem to know enough about mafia

Thanks, but I think I will wait a few games like Ace suggested before I do try to start my game. I don't want to start it and then have it sit there for weeks while no one joins. Thanks for the support though.

pmchugh wrote:if you have experience from elsewhere (or as a multi ;) ) then go for it!

You're right, I'm actually colton's second account. :-$
Private Squirrels Hat

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Discussions