Conquer Club

Limit Maps Available for New Players [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Limit Maps Available for New Players [Done]

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:40 pm

I do believe they are notified that more maps become available after they rank.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:43 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I do believe they are notified that more maps become available after they rank.

--Andy

That's good news,
Thanks Andy :)
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby edbeard on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:10 pm

lackattack wrote:FYI these are the maps that made the cut (I'll revise the list from time to time depending on the stats):

Europa | Egypt: Lower | Italy | Iberia | Luxembourg | Greater China | Australia | USA | Feudal War | British Isles | Portugal | Haiti | Charleston | France | Ireland | Germany | WWII Western Front | Imperium Romanum | WWII Eastern Front | North America | Great Lakes | San Francisco | Malta | Scotland | Classic Shapes | American Civil War | Siege! | Discworld | Philippines | Netherlands | Europe | Soviet Union | Indochina | Ancient Greece | Dust Bowl | Texan Wars | Middle East | Asia | U.S. Senate | Mongol Empire | Hong Kong | World 2.1 | Tamriel | BeNeLux | Montreal | NYC | Africa

late to the party I am

Caribbean Islands and South America should be on this list

both are classic style and have 42 and 44 territories, respectively.

thanks.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Lack will revise the list after more data comes in I assume.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby edbeard on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:15 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lack will revise the list after more data comes in I assume.

--Andy

honestly, I have zero confidence in your statement because of past history of updates and the time they take to become implemented. that might occur a year from now if ever. harsh maybe but not unwarranted. chances are much higher for a change right after the update happens (like now)

all purely classic style maps should be on that list. unless lack used non-obvious reasoning for his choices. if there was any. I suspect it was just grabbing all the "simple" maps and he just happened to miss a few

ones that are missing that I caught: Archipelago, Brazil, Canada, Caribbean Islands, High Seas, Iceland, South America, WWII Australia

some others that based on ones included should be included too:

Cairns Coral Coast (one way attacks are fine apparently (see British Isles))
Alexander's Empire (territories that don't belong to continents don't appear to matter (see American Civil War))
WWII Iwo Jima (non-adjacent connections are fine apparently (see Malta))

no idea how Imperium Romanum made the list. very strange choice to be included.

what "formula" did lack use?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Does it really matter all that much? The new players have 47 maps to choose from on the Join a Game page, they can start games on any map that they choose. After 5 games, they can see everything on the Join a Game page.

I think the fact that they can start a game on any map they choose makes this argument pointless.

It was done to directly combat the farming problem.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby edbeard on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:25 am

didn't realise that. the join a game page is useless either way
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby sully800 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 am

He looked at how well new recruits actually did on each map for their first game, and picked the maps with the highest member retention rate.

The maps you mentioned might have just been chance occurrences that the players did not stick around after
Major sully800

Postby bedub1 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:49 pm

lackattack wrote:I ran some statistics on 100,000 players and broke down game options by how they affect the chances a new recruit making their 1st promotion if it played it in its first ever game.

Some maps like USA had a high success rate over 50%, others like Waterloo and Circus Maximus had success rates as low as 18%.

I added new recruit join filters on all maps with success rates below 40% (that means new recruits can still join games on 47 maps :geek: )

I also filtered out some other game options that significantly lower the chance of new recruits making their promotion. See Instructions -> Score, Ranking and Medals for more details.

This should improve the success rate and new recruit experience (for most, as it is based on stats) and cut down on the "newbie farming" going on.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

This doesn't really affect me as I'm not a n00b....but I thought the idea was great from the start. Way to take it to the next level and instead of just "guessing" what a n00b should and shouldn't be able to do, to run statistical analysis on it to find the best games for them to play! I love it! Way to go!
Colonel bedub1

Postby daydream on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 am

lackattack wrote:FYI these are the maps that made the cut (I'll revise the list from time to time depending on the stats):

Europa | Egypt: Lower | Italy | Iberia | Luxembourg | Greater China | Australia | USA | Feudal War | British Isles | Portugal | Haiti | Charleston | France | Ireland | Germany | WWII Western Front | Imperium Romanum | WWII Eastern Front | North America | Great Lakes | San Francisco | Malta | Scotland | Classic Shapes | American Civil War | Siege! | Discworld | Philippines | Netherlands | Europe | Soviet Union | Indochina | Ancient Greece | Dust Bowl | Texan Wars | Middle East | Asia | U.S. Senate | Mongol Empire | Hong Kong | World 2.1 | Tamriel | BeNeLux | Montreal | NYC | Africa

to prevent simple farming, i suggest removinge feudal from that list.
Lieutenant daydream

Postby Kotaro on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:45 am

daydream wrote:

to prevent simple farming, i suggest removinge feudal from that list.

And World 2.1 as well <_< that map is confusing for some people that know the site. Having such a large map makes it easy to get lost in or misread for someone new.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby Optimus Prime on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Is this filter actually working, or has it been updated to include more maps than are on the list originally posted?

I ask because I started several games on USA over the past couple of days, which is not a map on that list that should show up for New Recruits to join. However, almost all of these games I created are now filled with New Recruits that joined the site within the last 72 hours.

Something seems strange about that.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Optimus Prime on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Ah dang. That's what I get for thinking he would list them alphabetically. Still a problem that needs fixing.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby blakebowling on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 am

1. Classic Shapes
  2. Africa
  3. American Civil War
  4. Ancient Greece
  5. Asia
  6. Australia
  7. BeNeLux
  8. British Isles
  9. Charleston
  10. Discworld
  11. Dust Bowl
  12. Egypt: Lower
  13. Europa
  14. Europe
  15. Feudal War
  16. France
  17. Germany
  18. Great Lakes
  19. Greater China
  20. Haiti
  21. Hong Kong
  22. Iberia
  23. Imperium Romanum
  24. Indochina
  25. Ireland
  26. Italy
  27. Luxembourg
  28. Malta
  29. Middle East
  30. Mongol Empire
  31. Montreal
  32. Netherlands
  33. North America
  34. NYC
  35. Philippines
  36. Portugal
  37. San Francisco
  38. Scotland
  39. Siege!
  40. Soviet Union
  41. Tamriel
  42. Texan Wars
  43. USA
  44. U.S. Senate
  45. World 2.1
  46. WWII Eastern Front
  47. WWII Western Front
Done! ;)
Private blakebowling

Postby sailorseal on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:03 pm

This is a interesting idea, when I first joined I tried playing omaha beach and got my butt wooped
Maybe like classic shapes and some other simple maps to start with?
Cook sailorseal

Postby blakebowling on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:08 pm

sailorseal wrote:This is a interesting idea, when I first joined I tried playing omaha beach and got my butt wooped
Maybe like classic shapes and some other simple maps to start with?

You do realize that this has already been done, I Just sorted the maps the way they appear on the game finder. (and numbered them ;))
Private blakebowling

Postby Mr_Adams on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:21 pm

lol, disc world is here? I hate discworld. who designed that piece of crap, eh? :lol: (That's code for "I suck at that map")
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Mr_Adams on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Ok, just tooka look, and I now get what you've done. you've unintentionaly made me a huge farmer! in 15 5 man games, I have 51 new recruits... That's 51/75, 15 out of the denominator for me. 51/60. 17/20 or 85% ?. now I either ditch my favorite settings or become one of the games biggest farmers. I like the idea, but we need revision...
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:Ah dang. That's what I get for thinking he would list them alphabetically. Still a problem that needs fixing.

I agree it needs updating.

However, well-intentioned though this list was, I think its highly biased towards those who like the "traditional" CC maps.

I am in no way suggesting that CC abandon the traditional maps. However, if you wish to attract new people, you will find many who like different sorts of games. They key is to let people know what they are getting into, so they can make their own choices when it comes to style.

I also take issue with a couple of the choices. AOR 1 seems to be the primary exception to excluding non-standard maps. However, that map is prime "farming territory". Those who know the strategy win, those who don't .. lose. Of the 3, I personally find AOR 2 to be the most balanced and easiest, but it does require paying attention to varied strategies.

I see a similar bias in many of the attempts to classify maps by difficulty. Too often, anything that is not "typical" (based on a more or less real place, 1 for every 3 region and continguous zone bonuses) is considered "difficult", even if the strategies are pretty basic.

Its one thing to tell someone to steer away from Waterloo until they get a grasp of just how to navigate around CC maps and so forth, its something else to say "skip Age of Merchants" or even City Mogul, because it is just different from many maps. Those might be the very maps to attract some people who are looking for something different.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Tisha on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:04 pm

I don't know how Feudal War made it onto the list but basic Puget Sound didn't.. I don't know if it'sthe number of games played on this map that makes it look like it's not a farming map. The list just definitely needs updated..
Major Tisha

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions