Conquer Club

[EoA] Allow me to Stay Logged In

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Automatic Login

Postby cpurcell on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:55 pm

Thomaster wrote:I think an automatic login option would be very handy, or at least a 'remember username' option

If you use Internet Explorer, it should ask you if you want it to remember your password for the site, and if you click yes, then all you have to do is double click the username box, and click your name, click login, and you're in. That's just how I do it, I'm sure there are people out there who have much more masterful techniques, but that's just what I do.
---C
Major cpurcell

Location: Bashing my keyboard because luck just screwed me to a noob! Oh, and Eastern PA

Postby sully800 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:57 pm

This option is available through Firefox (a different browser from Internet Explorer). Firefox is also useful because you can download Grease Monkey which lets you add many user created scripts to customize your gameplay.

Actually, don't the new versions of IE also let you remember user names? I think they might but I haven't used IE in a while.
Major sully800

Postby cpurcell on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:36 pm

sully800 wrote:This option is available through Firefox (a different browser from Internet Explorer). Firefox is also useful because you can download Grease Monkey which lets you add many user created scripts to customize your gameplay.

Actually, don't the new versions of IE also let you remember user names? I think they might but I haven't used IE in a while.

I believe that they do. I tried Firefox, and holy hell, I couldn't stand CM! It was so wierd! Needless to say, I don't play freestyle :lol:.

Again, those are the only options that I know of, but I'm sure that some of these computer wizards could help you out.
---C
Major cpurcell

Location: Bashing my keyboard because luck just screwed me to a noob! Oh, and Eastern PA

Postby gho on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:54 pm

The conquerclub homepage needs to remove the "join the club" form, and make new users click on a link to create an account.

I use the greasemonkey script 'AutoLogin' which automatically signs you in (you dont have to click the login button) but it doesnt work with this site because of the 'join the club' form
Lieutenant gho

Re: Automatic Login/Remember Me

Postby cicero on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:06 am

Threads merged:

Remember Me - posts 27 June 2008 to 12 July 2008 - first post here
Suggestion: Login - posts 15 October 2008 to 17 October 2008 - first post here
Automatic Login - posts 26 to 27 October 2008 - first post here

Please remember that generally it's a good idea to use the 'search' box (it's next to the 'new topic' button) to see if there are existing discussions on a particular suggestion. That way, if you find an existing discussion, you can join in and also see any useful posts - both for and against - that might influence your own thinking.

Cicero
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby TheTeacher on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Every major browser released in the last decade as far as I know has a password remember feature. Most of the time, by default, when you log in to a website, it will usually offer to remember your password. However, they usually also provide a check box saying something along the lines of "don't ask me again". Most people, when they first started their computer or installed a new browser, just clicked the box and sent away this feature, among the multitude of pop-ups and messages that you have to click through when you install something, to never be prompted to have their passwords remembered again. Rejoice, however, because I'm pretty sure that every major browser released recently lets you turn the option back on by digging around in the options, which are usually located under a "tools" menu somewhere... check under a tab named "security" or something like that, I think...
Captain TheTeacher

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:35 pm

please implement this

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby DarthBlood on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:38 pm

way to bring up a thread that's been dead for 3 months, TheTeacher.
highest score 3177 on 10/12/21
Brigadier DarthBlood

Postby TheTeacher on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:48 pm

DarthBlood wrote:way to bring up a thread that's been dead for 3 months, TheTeacher.

sorry, i looking for another thread with the search function and then came across this, and didn't realize the thread was dead until after i posted.
Captain TheTeacher

Keep me logged in!

Postby capysolo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Concise description:
  • Make an option to keep a person logged in to the site

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Being able to just open your browser, click on your CC bookmark and be able to access your games without having to log in. Helps if you are constantly closing your browser, and checking very soon afterwards

I just don't like having to keep logging in. It's a pain.
Sergeant 1st Class capysolo

Re: Keep me logged in!

Postby SirSebstar on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:47 pm

agreed, althoug it can be hard on those who do speed games and forget to log out
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:49 pm

capysolo wrote:Concise description:

• Being able to just open your browser, click on your CC bookmark and be able to access your games without having to log in. Helps if you are constantly closing your browser, and checking very soon afterwards

1. Why do you keep closing your window? There is a thing called minimize.
2. Is one click really that painful?
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Woodruff on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:16 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:

Minimize won't fix his problem (if I understand it correctly). Even if I minimize the window and don't leave Conquer Club at all, I will be logged out after a certain amount of time. I'm not sure how long it is (I haven't paid that close of attention), but my guess would be around 30 minutes or so.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby blakebowling on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:20 am

Woodruff wrote:
The Neon Peon wrote:

Minimize won't fix his problem (if I understand it correctly). Even if I minimize the window and don't leave Conquer Club at all, I will be logged out after a certain amount of time. I'm not sure how long it is (I haven't paid that close of attention), but my guess would be around 30 minutes or so.

Actually.. it's one hour.
Private blakebowling

Postby a.sub on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:30 am

either way i agree with this, i would like to be able to leave my comp on over night while logged on, so when im sunning to school in the morning all it takes is F5 and a glance to "view my posts"
Cadet a.sub

Postby cicero on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:01 pm

For those using Firefox (which I'm hoping is most of us ;) ) the ReloadEvery plugin for Firefox will do what is required.

For those using Internet Explorer the Auto Refresher for IE should do the trick. It is the first plug-in described on that page. [Or use this direct download link if you prefer.]

I do have personal experience of the Firefox one and it seems fine. The IE one is simply the product of a Google search.
In both cases install and use at your own risk! :)

Cicero
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby a.sub on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:06 pm

thanks cicero :)
Cadet a.sub

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:08 am

cicero wrote:For those using Firefox (which I'm hoping is most of us ;) ) the ReloadEvery plugin for Firefox will do what is required.

Yea sure, and if you log on from the same place every time then you can tell FF to save the pass to make it just 1 additional click.

But still... A "remember me" or "keep me logged" in thingy is IMO a good idea, it would solve both issues too.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:37 am

Thezzaruz wrote:But still... A "remember me" or "keep me logged" in thingy is IMO a good idea, it would solve both issues too.

Yes please.
I don't see why this would be such a problem, since nearly every other website that has a log-in feature includes 'remember me'.

ConquerClub is the only site I can think of that doesn't remember who I am.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Re: Suggestion: An option to allow people to stay logged-in

Postby stripethegremlin on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:09 am

You can allow users to stay logged in and just track the time of their last activity. Online/offline status doesn't really say much besides they were active in the last 30 min, or however long it is before CC auto boots you.

Personally I find this very annoying. Also the fact that I can't be logged in on two computers at the same time. I often check CC from my iPhone, but when I do it boots me from my PC. Like the original poster said, this is not online banking. GMail lets me do this, and that's much more important, security wise, than CC.
Sergeant 1st Class stripethegremlin

Postby 4myGod on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:46 pm

yorkiepeter wrote:
Forza AZ wrote:
mbarbier wrote:I think it would be very helpful to allow people to stay logged-in using cookies. This would save a little bit of hassle for those of us who like to check on their games every couple hours. I don't see any significant drawback either; it's not as if this is an online banking site.

Yes, that would be a good option. You just can add a check-box in which you can choose between staying logged in or not (when you play on a computer for 1 time or on a computer that more people use for CC).

Nope - Have to disagree - makes the 'members online' unreliable. Is my partner online or has he forgotten to log off? Announcing a new record of 1050 members on line - oh but hang on how many are really online?

The server can't check if a user is online or not. Instead what websites do is every time a user loads a page, clicks a link or refreshes they will have the page send a time to the db, the "last active" time. Then to find out if the user is online they will check if the "last active" time was in the past 15 minutes or something. Then they are assuming that if the user was refreshing/clicking a link in the past 15 minutes he is most likely online.

They may or may not have it so when you click logout it immediately deletes the "last active" record. I don't know though, and I doubt many of us click logout after our turn.
Sergeant 1st Class 4myGod

Postby LoneStranger on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Many sites track who is online and also allow people to have their login information remembered.

The way this is done is usually by setting a cookie in the browser with a unique token that is generated by the server when someone logs in. If they click the box to remember their password, this cookie remains for a certain amount of time, say two weeks. Otherwise, it disappears when they close their browser.

The next day, the user logs in. The site checks for the token and if it's still valid, assumes the user is legit and logs them in. If not, they get the login prompt.

The online status is easy. There is an entry in the database that stores the last request the user made to the website. If that value is larger than a certain value, say 20 minutes, then that person is considered to have logged off, even if they still have the token stored in their browser cookies. One way to not confuse other people as to their status is to create a second status that triggers after a shorter time period, let's call it "Idle" and say it takes affect after 5 minutes.

I see no reason why that can't be implemented here at CC since it's a common feature.
Corporal 1st Class LoneStranger

Stay Online

Postby MrGlassB on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Stay Online:
  • Allow users the option to stay logged in across browser sessions.
  • If across sessions is unacceptable, at least allow users to stay logged in during the same session.

• Users will spend less time logging in and getting annoyed at having to log in.
  • Users will not have to rely on a third-party script (Greasemonkey) or feature (Firefox save login information) to stay logged in.
  • Users will not have to login multiple times during the same browser session.

There have been numerous requests for this feature, dating back to 2006. No one has produced a good reason why it shouldn't be implemented, and it has also been said to be considered for future implementation.

I consider 2010 the future. :) Please, implement this. It's unbelievably annoying to have to log in multiple times during the same browser session. I occasionally check my games at work throughout the day, and inevitably I have to log in each time I check (even though it's the same browser window that's been open all day). That's dumb imho.

I've read the arguments for using Greasemonkey and Firefox's ability to save login information. First, I don't want to install Greasemonkey just to fill in my information. Second, I check CC from multiple locations, some of which have GM and some of which don't. Along the same lines, I have Firefox setup to save login information at some locations and not at others. Being able to stay logged in at CC shouldn't be based on anything other than CC as far as I'm concerned.

It's an easy fix. Can we please see it implemented, finally? :)

MGB
Lieutenant MrGlassB

Re: Stay Online

Postby MrGlassB on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 am

*bump*

It's still unbelievably annoying that this isn't implemented.

MGB
Lieutenant MrGlassB

Re: Stay Online

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:56 am

I agree with this suggestion.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions