Conquer Club

Official: Central America Competition - complete!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map would you like to see become CC's Central America map?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Entry #1
46%
Entry #2
40%
Entry #3
9%
Entry #4
5%

Total votes : 283

Re: Official: Central America Competition - POLLS OPEN!

Postby edbeard on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:22 pm

not trying to be a jerk here but is that an official win for #1? lgo seems to think so. I would say certainly not. But if you guys are going to work together then it doesn't really matter since that's the best course of action. #1 has a style people will find easy on the eyes and obviously people like it enough to vote for in large numbers. #2 has the font and the legend which were probably the best in all the competition (including the two "dropouts").
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:32 pm

edbeard wrote:not trying to be a jerk here but is that an official win for #1? lgo seems to think so. I would say certainly not. But if you guys are going to work together then it doesn't really matter since that's the best course of action. #1 has a style people will find easy on the eyes and obviously people like it enough to vote for in large numbers. #2 has the font and the legend which were probably the best in all the competition (including the two "dropouts").

::Chews foot while waiting for Oak to chime in::
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby oaktown on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks for waiting folks... after the issues surrounding the last 'final round' of voting I didn't want to rush into anything.

Congratulations to Igoasklucy are in order, as his map (entry #1) won the day. The map submitted by samuelc812 was a clear second favorite, but I think that given the outcome (map #1 garnered 114% of map #2's total) and the willingness that Iogasklucy has shown to incorporate the more successful elements of the #2 map, I am going to call this one in favor of entry #1.

Thanks and applause are also due to the mapmakers of the remaining maps: samuelc812, bryguy, and Knoc. All of the maps that I received for this competition were of high quality, and any would have been welcome additions to the site. =D>

Igoasklucy is invited to start up a map thread in the Main Foundry - I think that given the fact that MrBenn has already Draft-stamped the original thread we can forgo the Drafting Room process. If Igo' is interested in working with samuelc or others I will leave that to him to decide. Any concerns regarding graphics or gameplay can be discussed in that thread, and I will continue to follow the development of this map and finish up the code and coordinates when needed.
Captain oaktown

Re: Official: Central America Competition - complete!

Postby edbeard on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 pm

I think the "official" decision is a dangerous one. You're totally correct that in our case it doesn't matter too much since lgo is seemingly willing to upgrade his map with some of the elements of #2 which gave that map so many votes. In future competitions we might have a vote that is equally close.

The 114% is a very poor argument to me as the 16 votes total out of 283 are a meager 5.6% of the vote. And, we have to recognise that neither map garnered 50% of the vote so a true favourite was not found.

Like I said, in this case it'll be fine but I worry about how future competitions will turn out.

How would I solve this? well being that it's your map, I would have you be in charge of the graphics in a you're in charge of making sure that elements of both maps can be blended in a way that is agreeable to both parties and to you. Not necessarily doing any work yourself just in making sure the work of the two is done in a way that everyone can be satisfied with since the voting public has not shown a true preference for either of these maps. Obviously this is a lot to ask and not easy but it's just what my solution to this situation would be and not expecting anything to come of my points. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to post it before your decision was made because it's not meant as a reaction to your decision just something I had been thinking about and was going to post anyway.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby oaktown on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am

Alright, screw everything I wrote earlier. #-o

Map #1 had the most votes, with 130. Map #1 wins.

Igoasklucy's map was the top vote getter, so Igoasklucy gets to direct the graphic work from here on out. If Igoasklucy wants to bring in elements of the second map, as he mentioned earlier in this thread, he is welcome to do so, but that will be his decision.

When we went in to round 2 I said that this round would be final. With four (and originally six) maps going into round 2 there was a good chance that no map would garner a majority of the vote - nobody had a problem with this when it was announced.

I'll keep this thread open for general congratulations/wrap up.

Discussion about suggested changes to the winning map entry should continue in the new thread, so I will provide a link to the new map thread as soon as IgoasklucyI starts it up.

If you have additional concerns about the way this competition went down and how you would like to see us run future competitions, please voice them in this discussion thread.
Captain oaktown

Postby djak. on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:17 am

edbeard wrote:#2 has the font and the legend which were probably the best in all the competition (including the two "dropouts").

#2's legend is in sTuDLY ALL CAPS (hONDURAS, nICARAGUA), making it probably the worst of all the maps.
Lieutenant djak.

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:20 am

djak. wrote:
edbeard wrote:#2 has the font and the legend which were probably the best in all the competition (including the two "dropouts").

#2's legend is in sTuDLY ALL CAPS (hONDURAS, nICARAGUA), making it probably the worst of all the maps.

:-s :roll: :-s
Captain samuelc812

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:11 am

samuelc812 wrote:How about reviving the Famine Map you had going.... :P

eh maybe

only thing Ive managed to do so far is modify the trees and change the legend.

After trying and failing to many times to blend the mud with the rest of it, I finally just gave up for now.

I may try again at another time, but I think Im gonna try to revive Spaceness :) (got permission from blok for this, sadly though he deleted the .psd and everything with it, so I gotta remake it all from scratch)
Corporal bryguy

Postby reggie_mac on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 pm

I'd drop the bottom 2 contenders and make every vote again with only 2 choices, thus a clear favorite is chosen and no-one can bitch about it.

But grats to Igoasklucy, nice work and i wish you well with the rest of the process.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Previous

Return to Competitions