Conquer Club

invite players to game option

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

invite players to game option

Postby scottp on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:17 pm

after creating a game, whether public or private, there should be a form where you can auto-send an announcement to friends/other players to "come join"

Specifics:
  • either on the last page of the game creation process OR (and/or?) on the "Awaiting Players" page, there should be a form where you can invite players to come join. ideally, this form would list your friends with check boxes by their names so you can auto-add them to the distribution of the PM that goes out.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • facilitating the creation and joining of games.
  • a side benefit is that this gives high ranks an easy way to invite other "officers" to come play, eliminating the need for a "filter" against lower ranking players- another suggestion that has been made but rejected. another way to skin that particular cat!
Major scottp

Re: invite players to game option

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:28 am

You can do this already with PM's. Just takes a bit longer sometimes.
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby blakebowling on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:28 am

scottp wrote:after creating a game, whether public or private, there should be a form where you can auto-send an announcement to friends/other players to "come join"

Specifics:
  • either on the last page of the game creation process OR (and/or?) on the "Awaiting Players" page, there should be a form where you can invite players to come join. ideally, this form would list your friends with check boxes by their names so you can auto-add them to the distribution of the PM that goes out.

• facilitating the creation and joining of games.
  • a side benefit is that this gives high ranks an easy way to invite other "officers" to come play, eliminating the need for a "filter" against lower ranking players- another suggestion that has been made but rejected. another way to skin that particular cat!

1. There's only one page of the game creation process
2. as Bruce said, you can do this with PM's
3. there isn't a filter.
Private blakebowling

Postby t-o-m on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 am

This is a great idea, i would love this.
Major t-o-m

Postby blakebowling on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:57 am

t-o-m wrote:This is a great idea, i would love this.

well, like I said when this was suggested before, It's being looked into, maybe not exactly as suggested, but something like this will happen in the future.
Private blakebowling

Postby scottp on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:13 am

blakebowling wrote:1. There's only one page of the game creation process
2. as Bruce said, you can do this with PM's
3. there isn't a filter.

1. okay, so on THAT page, could we have this.

2. Yes, that's the way I do it now, but it would be faster to have this feature!

3. No, there's not a filter. It has been requested by some, but not implemented. This would reduce (might even eliminate) the need/desire for that feature.
Major scottp

Postby yeti_c on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 am

blakebowling wrote:

well, like I said when this was suggested before, It's being looked into, maybe not exactly as suggested, but something like this will happen in the future.

Wha - where do you get this info from?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby blakebowling on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:26 am

yeti_c wrote:
blakebowling wrote:

Wha - where do you get this info from?

C.

well, it's not just this, it's part of something bigger

**Runs before OP squashes him under his foot** :-# :-#
Private blakebowling

Invite Player option/feature.

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:28 pm

Concise description:
An "invite player" feature.

Specifics:
You can /invite anyone to any game you are currently in(be it you joined or created it). The invite option would be located on your profile. So if you click on someone's name, you see their wall, their medals, you can send them a private message etc etc... There will also be a "Invite to Game" button. Click on this, and a list of games you are currently part of that are not full will pop up. Click one of the games and wallah! They are invited to join the game. A PM will be sent to that player telling them they are invited to join the game you're in. They can of course decline ;p

Also, the would be an official invite, which means no password would be needed to join your game. So you can create a private game and then invite a bunch of people without the added difficulty of passing around a password and having to make sure everything is set.

Also, perhaps add the /invite feature to the options when creating a game. So when you create a game, you can type in a person's name and they will be sent an invite.

Lastly, another option would be to make the second part of this feature(the part after you click the person's name, where it shows you the available games you are in to send invites), a CHECK MARK menu, so you could potentially /invite someone to multiple games.

Save time for people searching for your games, also, you'll be able to create games on the fly and /invite people. Also, when playing multiple games with people, you can /invite people to multiple games all at once instead of PMing them a list of game numbers and passwords to join!

Thoughts?
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Re: Invite Player option/feature.

Postby LFAW on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:15 pm

I think its a nice idea :D
Lieutenant LFAW

Postby jpcloet on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 pm

I think there is a suggestion like this already about "reserving" a spot for other players. I will keep looking for it.
Captain jpcloet

Postby FireStar on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:58 pm

It is a very good idea...
Lieutenant FireStar

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:00 pm

jpcloet wrote:I think there is a suggestion like this already about "reserving" a spot for other players. I will keep looking for it.

Instead of looking for a similar idea, how about giving your thoughts on this one?

Reserving a spot in a game still leaves us with the task of joining it normally. A private game will already have a set number of people with a password to join, meaning everyone who has a password for that game essentially has a reserved spot. HOWEVER: The person who needs to join that game still:

A) Needs to get the password.
B) Needs to FIND the game.

Using my idea, you would sent an invite to a person:
An invite would get you right to the game without need of password since you were invited.
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby jpcloet on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Also, perhaps add the /invite feature to the options when creating a game. So when you create a game, you can type in a person's name and they will be sent an invite.

This is the part I like the most and I think it has been suggested before. Similar ideas are supposed to be merged together, that's why I was looking. Private games require a password so inherently any invite would need to have that attached.

Another option is currently in play by some tournament managers, with what we call the auto join link:

Say you have a game # 4000350 and the password is orange

Join Game
Quote me to see the actual type, or just mouse hover over the link.

I use this heavily for my clan's intra-clan tournaments and saves the person from searching and typing.

That link would allow the user in the pm to click the link and it automatically adds them to the game. As a tournament manager, I always include the settings in the pm in case they use another browser which this may not work on.

This auto-link has also been abused by some people so make sure if you use this that the person about to join the game is aware of the settings. I only use this on tournaments people have signed up for.
Captain jpcloet

Postby DarthBlood on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 pm

too easy to abuse. makes farming lot easier, because you just send an invite to the new recruits, ask them for a game, which they will undoubtedly agree to (since the whole point of joining cc is to play games).
highest score 3177 on 10/12/21
Brigadier DarthBlood

Postby jpcloet on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Farming is not allowed regardless of how you do it.

I think this would be quite useful for tournaments. Still not sure about the functionality.
Captain jpcloet

Postby DarthBlood on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:16 pm

obviously farming is not allowed. does that stop people from doing it? no. therefore, this suggestion would make farming easier for those who do it, so you are basically enabling people who already cheat. why help cheaters cheat more easily?
highest score 3177 on 10/12/21
Brigadier DarthBlood

Postby lancehoch on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:58 am

Darth, if you believe someone is cheating or farming, please make a report in C&A.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby j35t3r.us on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:14 pm

lancehoch wrote:Darth, if you believe someone is cheating or farming, please make a report in C&A.

Lance, any thoughts?
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby gameplayer on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:18 pm

I could see lots of abuse coming from this, for example the conqueror would get about 10 million invites a day from other people wanting him/her to join their games. I like the idea, but I think it would be easier just to use the pm system.
Colonel gameplayer

Postby lancehoch on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:48 am

I am unsure on this one. I know there have been suggestions in the past (which I like) for reserving spots in a game (specifically team games) and for turning a private game to public. I think those are more viable. What would happen if you sent a PM to someone and they did not sign on for two weeks? (I currently have a PM in my outbox from January 1st.) Would the game be stalled?
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby j35t3r.us on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:07 am

lancehoch wrote:I am unsure on this one. I know there have been suggestions in the past (which I like) for reserving spots in a game (specifically team games) and for turning a private game to public. I think those are more viable. What would happen if you sent a PM to someone and they did not sign on for two weeks? (I currently have a PM in my outbox from January 1st.) Would the game be stalled?

The spot isn't reserved. It just tells you to join.

If you implement a reserve system, these two features would go hand in hand however.

If it is a private game, and you send the invite, sure, the game could be postponed until that person gets their PM to join the Private game. But whats the different between sending them a PM telling them to join, or simply clicking on their profile and sending an invite.

If its a Private game, it shouldn't be postponed, or you prolly don't wanna play with that guy anymore...

If it is a public game, you're taking a chance inviting someone if that game fills up fast (better make it a private game or be sure they show up quick <------- This won't be a problem if you implement the reserve system, which by the way will have worse results for postponed games.

===================================

All this talk about abusing the system and stuff, I don't understand where this is coming from... Any attempts of abusing the system should be brought to a Moderator's attention. Just because my car CAN go 80 miles an hour doesn't mean I speed... Just because I CAN east 3 McDonalds Big Macs a Day doesn't mean I do and get fat... Just because I can invite the entire Conquer Club player list doesn't mean I will... Eye of the beholder...

There is NO DIFFERENCE between sending someone a PM with game details and my idea... Which brings me to my next point answered your question of: "Then why implement it?" ------> The internet is all about ease of use. If you could click TWO buttons that do the same thing as clicking: Inbox, new PM, enter their name, enter a subject, type message, include game number and password(if needed).... Which would you do??? Ease of use gentlemen... This will do what everyone on this site does daily EASIER. And no, it will not do anything else to hurt the system that isn't already being done.
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:53 pm

I see you chip! ;p

How odd, I was looking at my old posts and this one was on the 7th page hahahah, and you were currently browsing it.

You gonna comment on this one too?

I like this idea. What cha' think?
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

In-box clutter due to Invited games

Postby Barry Zuckerkorn on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Reduce in-box clutter by creating an 'Invited games tab'

Specifics:
  • Everyday when I open my in-box I have about 10-20 new messages telling me I've been invited to 10-20 games...
  • Make a tab that lists me all of the games that I am currently invited to -- on one page

• Makes things a whole lot easier and less tedious
  • Reduces clutter
  • I realize that I have been invited to a game -- so I don't need a little paragraph explaining that to me
Cadet Barry Zuckerkorn

Re: In-box clutter due to Invited games

Postby Tupence on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Good idea! I realise some of those games are from me :oops: but as a Tournament Organiser the new "invite" method is by far the easiest way to send out games.

At the moment I'm spacing out the sending of games so as not to clutter up people's inboxes, but clearly we can't all do this all the time...

I don't know if there would be a way to combine invitations, without the old method of creating a whole PM?
e.g. Tupence has invited Barry Zuckerkorn to Game X, Game Y and Game Z.
Important Tournament Notice

The data for ALL of my tournaments has potentially been lost. I am working to recover it but as I am away on business all of this week, there will be some delay. Sincere apologies.
Private Tupence

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions