Conquer Club

Vancouver 2010: Winter Olympics

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Vancouver 2010: Winter Olympics

Postby sully800 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:37 am

They all get converted to jpeg anyway so that shouldn't matter.
Major sully800

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:30 am

I had some trouble a while back. Photobucket was resizing my files,(I guess). and this caused a substantial loss in detail.
I switched to png's, and it has been working for me since. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:54 am

Another way is to switch to imageshack, which doesn't resize your images as long as they are under 10mb and doesn't limit the amount of images you can upload.

Anyway, could you re-upload the images as png:s and let lack convert them to jpg:s, because right now the quality of the map that is in play is sub-par. I mean really, the image is so fuzzy, it's making me uncomfortable when I play the map...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby yeti_c on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

8-)

Yeah - definitely need sunglasses to look at this map...

MY EYES - MAKE IT STOP.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby mibi on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:43 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

8-)

woah... this map needs a screen saver.
Captain mibi

Postby captainwalrus on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 pm

the problem is just the font is hard to read, I can dig the rest of it.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:33 pm

@ yeti,
You have zero talent when it comes to art. You have never produced the graphics for a map, so maybe you should stick to code writing. :lol:

@ mibi,
Well I don't see anything from you. You may know photoshop better than I, but you will never be a very good artist. You just don't have the talent. It is not something that can be easily learned. I see you acting like some sort of master around here. You have a few quenches under your belt. I will give you that, but your maps are second rate when it comes to the art. They all have one thing in common, they look like an 8 year old made them. Very amateurish, which matches your banty rooster strut, of an attitude.

Tearing others down does NOT make you higher. It only shows your own insecurities. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby captainwalrus on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:41 pm

porkenbeans wrote:@ yeti,
You have zero talent when it comes to art. You have never produced the graphics for a map, so maybe you should stick to code writing. :lol:

@ mibi,
Well I don't see anything from you. You may know photoshop better than I, but you will never be a very good artist. You just don't have the talent. It is not something that can be easily learned. I see you acting like some sort of master around here. You have a few quenches under your belt. I will give you that, but your maps are second rate when it comes to the art. They all have one thing in common, they look like an 8 year old made them. Very amateurish, which matches your banty rooster strut, of an attitude.

Tearing others down does NOT make you higher. It only shows your own insecurities. ;)

calm down, you lost, some people don't like our map, that doesn't mean it is bad or you are bad, it jut means it is not good enough in the eyes of most people.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:50 pm

I am not trying to argue over the contest. Just defending myself from master mibi and co. :lol:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby yeti_c on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:29 pm

porkenbeans wrote:@ yeti,

Just because I don't make maps doesn't mean I can't see...

As stated - you lost... probably because you didn't understand that people like to be able to play games without getting headaches...

porkenbeans wrote:Tearing others down does NOT make you higher. It only shows your own insecurities. ;)

I wasn't "tearing you down" - I don't do that - I was giving you constructive criticism - your version was hideous... the other map won by default.

Oh yeah - and for the record... I was on the voting panel - unlucky.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Please let's not derail another foundry thread.

Full feedback is available to entrants upon request.

Cheers,

MrB
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Back to the subject at hand. Are you going to do anything about the fuzziness of the map currently in play? It really does look bad. I'm sure the version that was not crappified by crapbucket would look much better, so can we get it re-uploaded?

Host the image as a png, it is a lossless format so the host service can not mess with it. This way the only quality loss will be when lack converts the image to jpg.

Postby yeti_c on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:46 pm

MrBenn wrote:Please let's not derail another foundry thread.

Full feedback is available to entrants upon request.

Cheers,

MrB

Just to point out - I wasn't derailing - I was discussing the merits of the two entrants - By pointing out how shit one of them was.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:30 pm

I'll change them to PNG's today and send them over to MrBenn for a quick upload :)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby RjBeals on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:39 pm

mibi wrote:woah... this map needs a screen saver.

I laughed so hard at this.. seriously my wife was like,"what the hell are you laughing at?" and I was like "You don't want to know".
Private RjBeals

Postby mibi on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:55 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
@ mibi,

yeah i am a second rate artist. but a first rate designer. at least thats what they pay me the big bucks for.
Captain mibi

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Can't you two just foe each other and move on? It's the same fucking thing every time porkenbeans and mibi wander in the same thread, this damn pissing contest starts over... I'm pretty sure there are others who are tired of it as well.

Postby mibi on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 pm

natty_dread wrote:Can't you two just foe each other and move on? It's the same fucking thing every time porkenbeans and mibi wander in the same thread, this damn pissing contest starts over... I'm pretty sure there are others who are tired of it as well.

how about you foe us both. sporkenteens is my hombre.
Captain mibi

Postby mviola on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:29 am

I don't know if you guys care, but on the map that won, instead of Cypress Mountain, it reads Cyprus Mountain.
Major mviola

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:11 am

Ahh, the good ol' vets. pwnin up some n00bz
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby oaktown on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:06 pm

My congrats to SamuelC. It's clean and easy to read. One little thing that bugs my color-blind eyes is that the Canada line color is quite close to the color of the background region - a bit more glow or stroke might correct this. And you might want to replace the snow under the snowboarder with hay to reflect the weather in Vancouver right now. ;)

Unfortunate that there were only two entries; perhaps this competition idea was half-baked to begin with. Then one of the entries got roasted, with the result being burnt beans.
Captain oaktown

Postby shakeycat on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:34 pm

This is how far I got, before that deadline snuck up on me ;) Couldn't seem to find a direction.

Click image to enlarge.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Incandenza on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:19 am

natty_dread wrote:Can't you two just foe each other and move on? It's the same fucking thing every time porkenbeans and mibi wander in the same thread, this damn pissing contest starts over... I'm pretty sure there are others who are tired of it as well.

Disagree, I find it hilarious.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 am

Incandenza wrote:

Disagree, I find it hilarious.

I did at first too, but it's getting old.

Postby bedub1 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 pm

I'd like to congratulate the creator the Vancouver map.
I'd like to congratulate the winner of the re-vamp contest.
I'd like to congratulate the loser of the re-vamp contest.
I'd like to congratulate the person who put together the contest.
I'd like to congratulate the person who came up with the idea.

The original map was AWESEOME, easy to see, made perfect sense etc. It is an example for future mapmakers.

The winning re-vamp looks very good and clean and easy on the eyes. I like the introduction of a little bit of the Winter and the "Games", but I would have liked to see a color change to include the colors of the rings etc. I think the winning map looks too similar to the original map.

The loosing re-vamp was a very excellent entry. I like the white for the snow, how the colors are greatly different from the original, and the Vancouver Games 2010 looks awesome also. Unfortunately the map was just a little too bright for me, so you did all that hard work for "nothing" and then get nothing but "hate" as a reward. I hope this doesn't diminish your desire to continue to contribute to the map making process.

Nice job on quickly taking a suggestion, getting approval, setting up the contest, getting 2 entries so we had a choice, and then finishing it off. It was definitely rushed as there was so little time, and it would have been nice to see additional alternatives, even possible a multi-round elimination with a day or two in between the rounds to let the contestants update and polish their work.

f*ck me, all I did was make a suggestion. I deserve no congratulations.
Colonel bedub1

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions