Conquer Club

Foundry Medals Competition

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which submission should win?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Entry A
58%
Entry B
26%
Entry C
16%

Total votes : 122

Foundry Medals Competition

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:56 am

I am pleased to announce the voting now open for the Foundry Medals Competition. The three entries are all of a high standard - regrettably there can only be one winner. The designs, left-to-right are for awards as follows:

• Most Noble Contributor: Awarded for contributing in a capacity which is recognised as inspirational and significant, or highly distinguished and innovative; in a way that goes above and beyond general participation in the foundry.
  • Honorable Contributor: Awarded for contributing to the community in a capacity which is outstanding in its field or stands out as an example to others.
  • Meritorious Tutorial: Awarded for contributing a tutorial which is recognised as illustrative and praiseworthy.
  • Cartographic Distinction: Awarded for developing a prosperous map which is established to be highly distinguished or innovative.
  • Cartographic Commendation: Awarded in recognition for making a valuable contribution during the development of a map.
    -
  • Cartographic Achievement: Awarded for developing a map.*
  • Cartographic Conquest: Awarded for winning a Foundry Competition.*
    The design of these two medals was optional

Entry A wrote:Image Image Image Image Image | Image Image
Entry B wrote:Image Image Image Image Image | Image Image
Entry C wrote:Image Image Image Image Image | Image Image

Happy Voting!

============================================================

The Cartography Assistants are pleased to announce...

The Foundry Medals Competition
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Now that the Winter Olympics speed games bonanza has ended, it's time to start thinking about all those medals that will be dished out over the next couple of weeks! To capitalise on medal-fever, the foundry will be running a competition to design medals/awards for the soon-to-be-inaugurated Foundry Roll of Honour.

In addition to the existing Official CC Achievement Awards (medals) available for foundry contributions, there will be 5 new Roll of Honour awards. The Foundry Roll of Honour Medals will be recognised in an Official Roll of Honour Thread, but will not be Official CC Medals. The Foundry Roll of Honour will stand in perpetuity as a Hall of Fame; and while medals will not be pinned to profiles, the recipients of an award will be able to decorate their forum signature or avatar should they so desire.

show: Brief details of the seven foundry awards

Competition Rules
  1. Your entry should comprise 5 separate images - one for each of the new Foundry Roll of Honour awards. *
  2. Your medals/awards need not conform to existing CC medal styles. *
  3. Submitted images should be 30px wide and 45px tall. Larger versions (60x90 px) should also be available.
  4. Save your designs as PNG images, with a transparent background if appropriate.
  5. Host your files using Photobucket or some other file sharing program, and PM a link to MrBenn by 23:59 GMT on March 8, 2010.
  6. The Foundry Staff will select a shortlist of finalists, and a one-week public voting period will be held to determine the winner.
* You may choose to include alternative images for the existing awards (Cartographic Achievement/Cartographic Contest Achievement), although these will not form part of the official competition.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Foundry Medals Competition

Postby vodean on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 am

This sounds really interesting. good luck to everyone.
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby JoshyBoy on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am

:( I wish I could compete in all these contests the Foundry runs. :(
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 am

JoshyBoy wrote::( I wish I could compete in all these contests the Foundry runs. :(

why not? go for it.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby JoshyBoy on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:02 pm

natty_dread wrote:
JoshyBoy wrote::( I wish I could compete in all these contests the Foundry runs. :(

why not? go for it.

Because I am hopeless with picture editing, uploading, etc. :lol:

My skills lie elsewhere...tournaments. :D
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:44 pm

JoshyBoy wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

why not? go for it.

Because I am hopeless with picture editing, uploading, etc. :lol:

My skills lie elsewhere...tournaments. :D

Three weeks is plenty of time to download some software (like a 90 day free trial of photoshop) and have a play around. If you still don't have any joy, keep your eyes peeled - there are plans for non-graphics competitions too :-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Dako on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 pm

7 awards and 5 medals only? Can you please clarify which ones you want.

Also, name all of the 5 (or 7) awards you need design for.

Thanks.
Colonel Dako

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Dako wrote:7 awards and 5 medals only? Can you please clarify which ones you want.

Thanks.

The ones that don't have an asterisk next to them.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Dako wrote:7 awards and 5 medals only? Can you please clarify which ones you want.

Thanks.

Brief details of the seven foundry awards wrote:
    Most Noble Contributor: Awarded for contributing in a capacity which is recognised as inspirational and significant, or highly distinguished and innovative; in a way that goes above and beyond general participation in the foundry.

Honorable Contributor: Awarded for contributing to the community in a capacity which is outstanding in its field or stands out as an example to others.

Meritorious Tutorial: Awarded for contributing a tutorial which is recognised as illustrative and praiseworthy.

Cartographic Conquest: Awarded for winning a Foundry Competition.*

Cartographic Achievement: Awarded for developing a map.*

Cartographic Commendation: Awarded in recognition for making a valuable contribution during the development of a map.

Cartographic Distinction: Awarded for developing a prosperous map which is established to be highly distinguished or innovative.

* Recipients of these awards will receive an Official CC Achievement Medal

The two awards that CC Medals are already given out for (Cartographic Conquest and Cartographic Achievement) are optional extras in terms of this competition, as they are represented by existing CC Medals. The competition is to design medals for the other five awards - although there is nothing to prevent you designing a full range of seven.

I hope that clarifies things?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Awarded for developing a prosperous map which is established to be highly distinguished or innovative.

I'm curious about this one, please explain further :)
Prosperous is defined by what criteria?
And who judges it?
Last edited by cairnswk on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Dako on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks, all is clear now.
Colonel Dako

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Awarded for developing a prosperous map which is established to be highly distinguished or innovative.

I'm curious about this one, please explain further :)
Prosperous is defined by what criteria?
And who judges it?

The definition for prosperity in this context is not yet fully defined, but I anticipate it could be based on some kind of formula to ascertain average number of unique players per day or something :?

I'd suggest continuing further discussion in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99127
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:39 am

MrBenn wrote:...
I'd suggest continuing further discussion in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99127

If we're going down that road again...then perhaps it is time for me to retire.
It has long been known that i don't make the most popular maps on this site, and i think if you're only interested in that, then i no longer wish to keep knocking my head against your brick wall.
I'd rather see what creativity people have to offer, and have those games available for play.
Popluarity for me has never been an indication of the makret place.
Congratulations MrBenn. You've finally got rid of me. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 pm

cairnswk wrote:

It has long been known that i don't make the most popular maps on this site, and i think if you're only interested in that, then i no longer wish to keep knocking my head against your brick wall.
I'd rather see what creativity people have to offer, and have those games available for play.

You're kidding right? The most decorated cartographer on the site getting angsty over something that's supposed to be fun? There's no rule or plan to prevent people continuing to make maps unless they have a medal, and nothing to prohibit you from making the maps that you want to make. These awards are intended to give recognition to people who go out of their way to help others, who make groundbreaking innovations in terms of mapmaking, or who have made a valuable contribution to CC through the Foundry - nothing more, and nothing less.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:16 pm

MrBenn wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

You're kidding right? The most decorated cartographer on the site getting angsty over something that's supposed to be fun? There's no rule or plan to prevent people continuing to make maps unless they have a medal, and nothing to prohibit you from making the maps that you want to make. These awards are intended to give recognition to people who go out of their way to help others, who make groundbreaking innovations in terms of mapmaking, or who have made a valuable contribution to CC through the Foundry - nothing more, and nothing less.

Most decorated i doubt :?:
Angsty ...no.
But i was referring to the topic you threw me to in your previous answer.
I would have thought that if you wanted to make this competition fun etc (and i am all for it) that you wouldn't want to bring up issues that have been past discussed...this is an oppoprtunity for you to move forward and take the foundry to other places rather than the previous places (some quite nasty and full of bickering), and you know exactly what i mean.
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:23 pm

cairns, are you joking?
Captain the.killing.44

Postby RjBeals on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:23 am

that thread was just pork and mibi bashing heads. Either the thread was pruned, or I missed something.
Private RjBeals

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 pm

should the medal images have room for the medal count numbers?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:34 pm

natty_dread wrote:should the medal images have room for the medal count numbers?

No - these will not be cumulative in the same way as profile medals are ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby fumandomuerte on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:41 am

MrBenn wrote:
natty_dread wrote:should the medal images have room for the medal count numbers?

No - these will not be cumulative in the same way as profile medals are ;-)

Was about to ask the same ;)
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby mibi on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:42 pm

maybe we can call a medal, the CairnsWK Lifetime Achievement Award, and give that out.
Captain mibi

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Most Noble Contributor: Awarded for contributing in a capacity which is recognised as inspirational and significant, or highly distinguished and innovative; in a way that goes above and beyond general participation in the foundry.

Honorable Contributor: Awarded for contributing to the community in a capacity which is outstanding in its field or stands out as an example to others.

Meritorious Tutorial: Awarded for contributing a tutorial which is recognised as illustrative and praiseworthy.

Cartographic Conquest: Awarded for winning a Foundry Competition.*

Cartographic Achievement: Awarded for developing a map.*

Cartographic Commendation: Awarded in recognition for making a valuable contribution during the development of a map.

Cartographic Distinction: Awarded for developing a prosperous map which is established to be highly distinguished or innovative.

* Recipients of these awards will receive an Official CC Achievement Medal

Maybe someone can explain all of this to me.
I can understand recognizing someone for there valuable contribution in making a map. This is a good idea. But,
It seems to me that, the "most noble contributor", "honorable contributor", "cartographic commendation", and "cartographic distinction", awards are all pretty much the same thing.
Then there's the "cartographic conquest" and the cartographic achievement awards.
Seems a little redundant to me, to give out awards for earning medals. :lol:
Then pile on some more redundancy by giving an achievment medal to award winners, for getting medals.

I understand the Tutorial award, and I understand an award for a contribution to a map. But, all the rest are just awards for getting medals. This makes zero sense to me.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:54 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Seems a little redundant to me, to give out awards for earning medals. :lol:

Should you bother to read more carefully, you'd notice those two medals aren't required.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:10 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Seems a little redundant to me, to give out awards for earning medals. :lol:

Should you bother to read more carefully, you'd notice those two medals aren't required.
What r u talking about ? Maybe u should read more carefully.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:

What r u talking about ? Maybe u should read more carefully.

idk lol i mite hav thot dat mr. ben's atsterix "* You may choose to include alternative images for the existing awards (Cartographic Achievement/Cartographic Contest Achievement), although these will not form part of the official competition." + also dat dis post :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=467&t=109517#p2457583 wud make sence 2 u
Captain the.killing.44

Next

Return to Competitions