Conquer Club

General Achievement Medals Policy

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

General Achievement Medals Policy

Postby Lindax on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:01 pm

gu.png
gu.png (69.1 KiB) Viewed 9672 times
General Achievement Medals
Announced 07/14/10

A Tournament Organizer (TO) has the option to grant a General Achievement Medal (formerly known as a Contest Medal) to a player or team participating in his/her tournament. In order to obtain permission from the Tournament Director to grant this medal the TO must:

1. Establish a specific objective (or set of objectives) to be achieved by the participant(s) in his/her tournament other than winning the tournament or, for example, losing in the final. In other words, the objective(s) must be something distinct and original.
  2. Clearly describe how the objective(s) can be achieved. The objective(s) can be achieved in various ways, for example: By reaching a certain predetermined goal while playing in the tournament, which only one player or team can achieve, or by holding a vote amongst the tournament participants to determine who "did the best" if more than one player or team can achieve the objective(s).
  3. Send the above mentioned information to the Tournament Director in charge of General Achievement Medals. The TO is not allowed to publish the idea or post anything about it in his/her tournament thread until authorization is given by the Tournament Director.

For a General Achievement Medal to be awarded, the TO must:

1. Complete his/her tournament.
  2. Send the name(s) of the winner(s) to the Tournament Director in charge of General Achievement Medals, along with a link to the tournament thread.

Note: The Tournament Directors reserve the right to accept or deny any idea for a General Achievement Medal. We will not automatically authorize the use for General Achievement Medals in tournaments.
(What I mean to say is that we will sparingly allow General Achievement Medals, so it will be somewhat of an added value to a tournament.)

Tournament Director in charge of General Achievement Medals:

benga

----
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Re: General Achievement Medals Policy

Postby Lindax on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:42 pm

----
Multiple Tournaments w/ Grand Finale - A Clarification

This is an explanation of the policy for awarding medals for these type of tournaments and Grand Finales. What we are talking about is basically a series of tournaments of which the winners (usually) get invited to play in a big super final, i.e., "Grand Finale". That Grand Finale is per definition not open to the public and hence do not qualify for a Tournament Achievement Medal for the winner, nor a Tournament Contribution Medal for the tournament organizer (TO).

Awarding Medals:

• For every tournament in the series a Tournament Achievement Medal will be awarded to the winner(s).
  • For every tournament in the series a Tournament Contribution Medal will be awarded to the TO.
  • The winner of the Grand Finale can be awarded a General Achievement Medal.
  • The TO of the Grand Finale will NOT receive any medal.

The winner of the Grand Finale will receive a General Achievement Medal if:

• The TO of the Grand Finale applied for the medal through the proper channels.
  • The tournament series leading up to the Grand Finale has to consist of at least 8 tournaments, i.e., there must be a minimum of 8 players/winners participating in the Grand Finale.*

*Note: If a player wins more than one tournament in the series, the runner(s)-up of the tournament(s) after his first win must be used to fill the Grand Finale if that is needed to reach the minimum of 8 players.

Marking the title of a Grand Finale Tournament:

When creating the topic for a Grand Finale Tournament the TO needs to indicate the fact that it is a Grand Finale with [GF] in the title, after the tournament name.

Example:
Classic Escalating Championship [GF]

Previously awarded medals:

We know that in the past Tournament Achievement Medals (for winners) and Tournament Contribution Medals (for TOs) were awarded for Grand Finale Tournaments. The fact is that those type of tournaments are difficult to track for us as Tournament Directors and the medals were awarded mistakenly. In most cases this was discovered well after the fact and we decided against taking the medals away from people.

Those precedents, however, will not be regarded a valid argument for awarding medals against the policy. We are also working on solutions to better track Grand Finale Tournaments and ways to avoid medals being awarded mistakenly.

----
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Kinnison on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:26 am

This seems... reasonable. I suppose we'll know more when we see some examples of how stringent restrictions are on the granting of these.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Captain Kinnison

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:31 am

This sounds like a great idea and an added incentive for the community. Great work from all you TD guys!
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Qwert on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:20 am

by Kinnison on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 am

This seems... reasonable. I suppose we'll know more when we see some examples of how stringent restrictions are on the granting of these.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
agree, when i see some examples,then i will understand what you ask.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jrh_cardinal on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 pm

qwert wrote:by Kinnison on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 am

one example would be zz's tourney, Cookie Battle, person with the best record on the losing team gets one of these (I know that's not a good explanation, but a good explanation would be really long :P)

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=114960
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:17 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:
qwert wrote:by Kinnison on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 am

one example would be zz's tourney, Cookie Battle, person with the best record on the losing team gets one of these (I know that's not a good explanation, but a good explanation would be really long :P)

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=114960

Another example is that in my 2010 Sprint Cup Series tournament, the top 8 players with the most wins over the season will compete in an all-star game for a general achievement medal.
Major Night Strike

Postby Lindax on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 pm

Examples? Come on everybody, get creative! :D

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Lindax on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm getting questions about this, so let me clarify one thing:

The General Achievement Medal is something separate from the normal approval of a tournament and thus from applying for tournament privileges.

You can apply for a General Achievement Medal before you even post your tournament, when you already posted it or even when it's already ongoing.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby White Moose on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:57 am

Very intresting!
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby JoshyBoy on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:35 am

Lindax wrote:Examples? Come on everybody, get creative! :D

Lx

Whoever wins my tournament This isn't going to be easy deserves a General Achievement Medal! The Final, Game 5818805, was started in November 2009 and it's got to the point where we are having to play a tie-breaker. The tie-breaker is Game 7152708, and that looks likes it's going to be a tough one too!
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:12 am

Lindax wrote:I'm getting questions about this, so let me clarify one thing:

The General Achievement Medal is something separate from the normal approval of a tournament and thus from applying for tournament privileges.

You can apply for a General Achievement Medal before you even post your tournament, when you already posted it or even when it's already ongoing.

Lx

You just can NOT post anything in your thread about awarding it until AFTER you get the approval.
Major Night Strike

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 am

JoshyBoy wrote:

Lx

Whoever wins my tournament This isn't going to be easy deserves a General Achievement Medal! The Final, Game 5818805, was started in November 2009 and it's got to the point where we are having to play a tie-breaker. The tie-breaker is Game 7152708, and that looks likes it's going to be a tough one too!

Tournament Winners don't just get one because they won the tournament. And a tournament that started in November 2009 is in no way the longest one active.
Major Night Strike

Postby JoshyBoy on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

Just trying to give an example. :)

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I think it is a good idea, but it should not be only for a tournament, perhaps it should be given for some reason like "fidelity/loyalty", "fair play/friendly"(voted for the other players in the tournament), "fast join and play"... I think it should be given not every tournament but every serie of them (3, 4 or 5).
Captain PepeAtila

Postby Lindax on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:05 pm

PepeAtila wrote:I think it is a good idea, but it should not be only for a tournament, perhaps it should be given for some reason like "fidelity/loyalty", "fair play/friendly"(voted for the other players in the tournament), "fast join and play"... I think it should be given not every tournament but every serie of them (3, 4 or 5).

Great examples! Maybe good ideas for Tournament Contests as well.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Lindax on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Lx

Ok, it seems you guys really need some examples:

Tournament: CARTOON SMACKDOWN!
For: Cartoon Personality Champion

Tournament: JRT's- 2010 Formula 1 Championship
For: Winning Team

Tournament: TLO 2009 II
For: MVP (Most Valuable Player)

Tournament: 2010 Sprint Cup Series
For: All-Star Race Winner

Tournament: HA's 1v1 Ladder
For: Player with the best record

Tournament: Cookie Battle
For: Player of the loser side who baked the most cookies in round 1

Tournament: TPA
For: First 3 in the ranking

Tournament: 2009-10 College Hoops
For: Winner of NIT (consolation playoffs)

Tournament: TO; Table Tennis Super League
For: Winner of the Super League

Apart of those examples you can think of lots of things:

First player to eliminate all opponents in one turn.

First team to win 5 consecutive games without having a player eliminated.

First player to win 3 games under 10 turns.

First player to eliminate 10 players in Terminator games.

Player/Team with the most original "sign-up" post.

Etc., etc.

Come on guys, I know the creativity is there! Let's see some General Achievement Medals in your tournaments!

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Lindax on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:53 am

The examples helped. I just granted a General Achievement Medal for:

Tournament: JRH's Full 2010 MLB Season
For: The player with the best win percentage at the All Star Break

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby ZionT on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Can only TO's suggest the medal or is it something that can be suggested by players after the tourney is posted but before it starts?
Major ZionT

Postby Night Strike on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:35 pm

ZionT wrote:Can only TO's suggest the medal or is it something that can be suggested by players after the tourney is posted but before it starts?

Since most of the qualifying conditions would require the organizer to do a bit of extra work (making a new game or two, keeping a separate stat, etc.), then I think it should be up to the organizer to decide if they want to add the extra incentive. That being said, I don't think there's a problem with the players trying to persuade the organizer to add the incentive, but it's still the organizer's job to request it.
Major Night Strike

Postby amazzony on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:32 am

ZionT wrote:Can only TO's suggest the medal or is it something that can be suggested by players after the tourney is posted but before it starts?

I would be happy if players came and suggested it to me. I've been going through all my tournaments but can't figure out how to give out medals so I think players should be active at doing it :D

*walks away and waits for PMs with suggestions*
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Lindax on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:38 pm

----
From now on I will grant General Achievement Medals only after your tournament has been created and registered as "Open".

A tournament is registered as "Open" once a Tournament Director approves it. At that point the tournament will appear in the list of tournaments under the "Tournaments" tab, under "Join A Tournament".

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby greenoaks on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Lindax wrote:----
From now on I will grant General Achievement Medals only after your tournament has been created and registered as "Open".

A tournament is registered as "Open" once a Tournament Director approves it. At that point the tournament will appear in the list of tournaments under the "Tournaments" tab, under "Join A Tournament".

Lx

but in order to get players to sign up, TO's like to differentiate their tournaments from the pack.

this excludes the use of GA medals as an incentive.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Lindax on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:51 pm

greenoaks wrote:

Lx

but in order to get players to sign up, TO's like to differentiate their tournaments from the pack.

No it doesn't. Registered as "Open" means open for signing up, not "Ongoing". It's only the short time between creating the thread and a TD registering it that you can't have a GA Medal for the tournament yet.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:14 am

Lindax wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Lx

No it doesn't. Registered as "Open" means open for signing up, not "Ongoing". It's only the short time between creating the thread and a TD registering it that you can't have a GA Medal for the tournament yet.

Lx

:oops:

then i don't have a problem with this at all
Sergeant greenoaks

Next

Return to Tournament Archives