Conquer Club

Golfe du St-Laurent: Tisha Wins!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Golfe du St-Laurent: Tisha Wins!

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Are you serious? Tisha had the best map... And yes I entered but Tisha's map won fair and square... Stop being so sore about things. Your map was different, but not for everybody. Move on already.
I am only offering a suggestion as to a better way to conduct these polls in the future. (already). lol.

Please, can't anyone address my suggestion ?

#1, I think that 115 votes is too small of a sampling.
#2, I think that ballots should be sent out to a select group CC members. This group should include active members only, and they should not be made up of cartographers and their friends. My point is that finding the most popular map from the general public, should be the goal.

It does not seem to me to be that difficult of a thing to pull off. If this kind of a poll was implemented, there would be no doubts as to the validity of the poll. Comon, 115 votes with 7 entries ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Okay, guys, let's just take a bit to cool off. Pork, you can post your suggestion in the Foundry Discussions forum if you so desire, as this really isn't the place. Please, let's not go throwing accusations/insults and pointing fingers whether true or not. I'm seeing this spiraling into something no one wants to see...

Congrats, Tisha, you did a fine job. Porkenbeans, props for your entry, too, I liked the style, but sadly it was not quite up to par. Congrats to you both for two great entries!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Congratulations for winning, Tisha. Can't wait to have a game on it (:

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:46 am

Pork, your map was very nice. I could immediately recognize it as your style when I saw it. I mean that in a good way, btw. But there are some flaws in it as well... I know you don't really take criticism all that well so I won't elaborate on those. Tisha's is simply easier and more intuitive when it comes to gameplay clarity. Granted, it has it's own small flaws (that are well being fixed in FF) but the general concept is clearer so it's no wonder it won.

Instead of blaming the system or accusing other mapmakers of manipulating voters, just accept that you lost, and take it as a learning experience. Hey, I never won a contest either, and my maps are simply awesome, so I know how you feel ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:54 am

natty_dread wrote:Pork, your map was very nice. I could immediately recognize it as your style when I saw it. I mean that in a good way, btw. But there are some flaws in it as well... I know you don't really take criticism all that well so I won't elaborate on those. Tisha's is simply easier and more intuitive when it comes to gameplay clarity. Granted, it has it's own small flaws (that are well being fixed in FF) but the general concept is clearer so it's no wonder it won.

Instead of blaming the system or accusing other mapmakers of manipulating voters, just accept that you lost, and take it as a learning experience. Hey, I never won a contest either, and my maps are simply awesome, so I know how you feel ;)
I congratulated Tish on her win. I think that she produced a fine map. My criticism, along with my suggestion, was directed towards what I see as a flaw in the voting process.

I would like to see this split off into a thread that deals with this issue. It is NOT fair IMHO, and it is also NOT fair that I be ridiculed for pointing this out. If the powers that be, were to run a private poll as I have suggested, I believe that the results of this contest would indeed be different. ...so prove me wrong.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 pm

That's a logical fallacy. You can't prove a negative.

The burden of proof is on you to show that there is something wrong with the voting process.

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 pm

natty_dread wrote:That's a logical fallacy. You can't prove a negative.

The burden of proof is on you to show that there is something wrong with the voting process.
Man natty, I know that you are not that dense. lol.
I have already shown what I believe is wrong. I also provided a way to prove it. :P

What more do you require, friend. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Proof.

I should also note to you that moderators do monitor the voting activity on these contests, for suspicious spikes and other things that indicate if one of the contestants are trying to manipulate the results by enlisting their clanmates, friends etc. to vote for them.

I should also note that the idea that "only 115 people voted so the vote is not valid" is not really a valid argument. The amount of people who vote on these things is directly proportional to the amount of people who are interested in new maps, or people who care enough to follow foundry threads. Would you get different results if the vote was sent by pm to each member of CC? Possibly, but you haven't demonstrated that this is the case, and I am not convinced that there is any inherent unfairness to the way things are currently done.

Another thing comes to mind here... you're an older guy, so maybe there's a generational gap here. Is it generally hard for you to admit that you were beaten by a girl? ;)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:55 pm

As others have said, this is not the place of debating the merits (or otherwise) of foundry polls - if you wish to continue that debate, then feel free to start a new thread in foundry discussions.

As for this contest, the field was full of good entries from a broad spectrum of CC, and I want to personal thanks/congratulations to each of the 7 entrants:

1. natty_dread
  2. Amateil
  3. isaiah40
  4. Tisha
  5. ISN2
  6. Bruceswar
  7. porkenbeans

Special thanks should also go to all those who helped contribute to the original map development, and of course to Tisha, whose winning map now has a life of its very own: viewtopic.php?t=139687
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Previous

Return to Competitions