Conquer Club

[EoA] Allow me to Stay Logged In

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Stay Online

Postby edwinissweet on Thu May 06, 2010 1:38 am

it doesnt log me off unless i shut my lap top, in which case the connection is interrupted. Maybe its the web browser you use. Why dont you just let your browser save your username and password so you dont have to type it in everytime?
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Postby slowreactor on Thu May 06, 2010 5:34 am

Well, currently on my computer, CC cuts me off at exactly 1 hour, and I have to log on again after that.It's not that big of a deal, just a minor annoyance, but just pointing it out that it's out there.
Colonel slowreactor

Postby MrGlassB on Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 am

edwinissweet wrote:Why dont you just let your browser save your username and password so you dont have to type it in everytime?

I explained this in my first post.

MGB
Lieutenant MrGlassB

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri May 07, 2010 2:59 am

This happens occasionally for me, if i remain inactive. But if i refresh the page, say, every 20 minutes, or hour, i stay logged in all day. I may not have been here back in 2006, but since you offered the suggestion back in January, and only 1 person really had interest, i think the interest for it may have died down ;)
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

[Login]Allow me to stay logged in

Postby nryan115 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Every other website in the world has a "remember me" check box. I am the only person who has access to this, a password protected, computer. The fact that I have to log in to the site every 15 minutes is just ridiculous when I am on my personal computer. Logging into the site 20 times per day is horrible and frankly it makes me never want to come here.

I cannot fathom why this is not already an option.
Corporal nryan115

Re: Allow me to stay logged in

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 pm

nryan115 wrote:Every other website in the world has a "remember me" check box. I am the only person who has access to this, a password protected, computer. The fact that I have to log in to the site every 15 minutes is just ridiculous when I am on my personal computer. Logging into the site 20 times per day is horrible and frankly it makes me never want to come here.

I cannot fathom why this is not already an option.

This doesn't happen to me. I've stayed logged on the site for hours at a time. Plus I have my password saved onto the site already, so It wouldn't bother me anyways.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 pm

I think it's only if you're inactive for 15 minutes then it logs you out. It's happened to me before. It's not really that much of an annoyance though. And I'm like you TFO, my password is saved on here so all I have to do is hit "t" the down button, enter, tab, enter and i'm logged in.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Hannibał on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Deleted my similar thread after noticing you beat me by 20minutes while I was typing correct form! :D

Specifics:
  • The idea is for an extended log in, everytime I exit the window CC is in and go do something for a short period of time and I come back to check on my games, or maybe wander the forums I have to relog in..While its not a huge hastle I admit, I believe it would be a positive change to create a check box for a longer login, similar to ebay does with the "Keep me logged in for 7 days" or whatever

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Will be easier for members to log in swiftly and check their games, or check a current topic they're involved in on the forums without having to log back in everytime they return to their PC/Phone.

Possible problems
  • I understand this may mess with the "Online" ribbon indicator on the profile pages, but if that really matters it would be fairly simple to cause it to read "AFK" or "Idle" after a set time of inactivity, maybe an hour, So that noone is waiting for a speedy response to a PM or Wall comment?

I agree with you 100%, its not a huge bother but it would be a nice addition. I can save my PW everywhere else, but some reason this forum dosent allow me too. It will remmeber my username, after typing the majority out but I still must type entire password.

I know I sound like a lazy bastard, but it really is a nice option..
Sergeant Hannibał

Postby nryan115 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Its not about my internet browser remembering my password or not. (by the way it is NOT saved on the site it is your browser doing that). The issue is that I have Conquer Club open it its own tab 100% of the time. I then work in other internet tabs - or other windows programs and then about 30 minutes later I want to check the status of my games - oh wait after 15 minutes I got timed out.

I am constantly "busy" for 30 minutes and I swear I log into this site like 25 times daily. I don't want to enter the first letter of my username and hit down arrow and then hit enter. I want to not touch my keyboard at all and just click "my games" without it showing me the "you need to login first" page. If the site wants to force me to login manually once a day or something reasonable then that is fine but our sessions should not expire after 15 minutes if we opt in to a longer session.

The "remember me" check box is such an unbelievably common thing today that there it is odd to not have one here. Some sites stay logged in forever, sites like google log you in for up to 2 weeks before it kicks you off.
Corporal nryan115

Postby sniffie on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 am

nryan115 wrote:Its not about my internet browser remembering my password or not. (by the way it is NOT saved on the site it is your browser doing that). The issue is that I have Conquer Club open it its own tab 100% of the time. I then work in other internet tabs - or other windows programs and then about 30 minutes later I want to check the status of my games - oh wait after 15 minutes I got timed out.

I am constantly "busy" for 30 minutes and I swear I log into this site like 25 times daily. I don't want to enter the first letter of my username and hit down arrow and then hit enter. I want to not touch my keyboard at all and just click "my games" without it showing me the "you need to login first" page. If the site wants to force me to login manually once a day or something reasonable then that is fine but our sessions should not expire after 15 minutes if we opt in to a longer session.

The "remember me" check box is such an unbelievably common thing today that there it is odd to not have one here. Some sites stay logged in forever, sites like google log you in for up to 2 weeks before it kicks you off.

After 15 "inactive" minutes you log out. If you wish to stay online click "my games" every 14 minutes and you should be kept logged in, if not. Maybe its a bug.
It is very unlikely that this option is put through. Because a lot of players would be online 24/7 and not playing. Can you imagine the paperwork?
Sergeant 1st Class sniffie
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby nryan115 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 am

Im not sure why every thinks I'm an idiot. I know its 15 minutes of inactivity - I do not know what you do throughout your day but I cannot click something on this website every 14 minutes. I get busy. I am saying that yes I am inactive for 15 minutes but I want the site's cookie to remember my session like every other website in the world today works.

Its not a bug, its just a poor decision. There is no reason whatsoever that people could not all be online at the same time. What paperwork are you referring to?

Second, they would not be online the entire time their session would still be marked as offline after 15 minutes but if they refresh their cookie reloads their website. I am the webmaster for a couple of discussion forums and they all have a "remember me" check box. The users do not appear online 24/7 but they also do not have to type their username and password in more than once a day (if remember me is checked).

Aside from my websites, I am also a member of many forums, and many registered user only websites that all impliment this same functionality. One site in particular has a "remember me forever" option and I have not typed in my password - nor have I seen the login page at all for over 8 months since the one time I cleared all my cookies, and then before that not for another 8 months- yet this is copy and pasted from the site: "Total time logged in: 2 days, 7 hours and 43 minutes." I get logged out after only a couple of minutes of inactivity. But as soon as I refresh the website it looks at my cookie and reloads my session. I will never have to log in to that site until I log out, clear my cookies, or get a new computer.

Perhaps a forever cookie is too drastic and that fine, maybe 2 weeks is too much, but there is no reason at all why I should have to log in more than 1 time per day unless I choose to. I'm not sure why I have to explain this EVERY WEBSITE other than this one works this way.
Corporal nryan115

Postby nryan115 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 am

Since people seem to think I'm crazy here are links:

Yahoo.com:
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.s ... hoo.com%2F

Google.com:
https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... oogle.com/

Facebook:
Facebook.com

The list would be nearly infinite these are just the 3 most popular sites I figured would be familiar with people.
Corporal nryan115

Postby blakebowling on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 am

nryan115 wrote:Im not sure why every thinks I'm an idiot. I know its 15 minutes of inactivity - I do not know what you do throughout your day but I cannot click something on this website every 14 minutes. I get busy. I am saying that yes I am inactive for 15 minutes but I want the site's cookie to remember my session like every other website in the world today works.

Its not a bug, its just a poor decision. There is no reason whatsoever that people could not all be online at the same time. What paperwork are you referring to?

Second, they would not be online the entire time their session would still be marked as offline after 15 minutes but if they refresh their cookie reloads their website. I am the webmaster for a couple of discussion forums and they all have a "remember me" check box. The users do not appear online 24/7 but they also do not have to type their username and password in more than once a day (if remember me is checked).

Aside from my websites, I am also a member of many forums, and many registered user only websites that all impliment this same functionality. One site in particular has a "remember me forever" option and I have not typed in my password - nor have I seen the login page at all for over 8 months since the one time I cleared all my cookies, and then before that not for another 8 months- yet this is copy and pasted from the site: "Total time logged in: 2 days, 7 hours and 43 minutes." I get logged out after only a couple of minutes of inactivity. But as soon as I refresh the website it looks at my cookie and reloads my session. I will never have to log in to that site until I log out, clear my cookies, or get a new computer.

Perhaps a forever cookie is too drastic and that fine, maybe 2 weeks is too much, but there is no reason at all why I should have to log in more than 1 time per day unless I choose to. I'm not sure why I have to explain this EVERY WEBSITE other than this one works this way.

Again, we know what you are talking about. Would it be a good thing to have? Yeah. Does it hurt you that much to type your login info, or to press the login button (considering every browser in the world has the capability to save your password)? No.

I understand your point, but what you need is people to support your suggestion, and you won't get that by insulting them.
Private blakebowling

Postby Hannibał on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:35 am

Your right it dosent hurt to login 20 times a day (I easily do) But, does it hurt to click a dropdown menu and select territories or if you want to advance or attack? Not at all, yet we have this clickies implemented that was already available to users, yet its now forced down our throat. Why not have a option that appeases those who'd like it, and dosent effect does who could careless?

I know this thread isn't very active, but you have to consider the VAST majority of users do not post on the forums, yet I'm sure many would enjoy this feature.

Please everyone just chime in with a Yes or No with these considerations so this thread can either be progressive or deaded.
Sergeant Hannibał

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:49 am

nryan115 wrote:Its not about my internet browser remembering my password or not. (by the way it is NOT saved on the site it is your browser doing that). The issue is that I have Conquer Club open it its own tab 100% of the time. I then work in other internet tabs - or other windows programs and then about 30 minutes later I want to check the status of my games - oh wait after 15 minutes I got timed out.

I have no idea why you're timing out after 15 minutes. I can leave my computer set for 2 hours and come back without having to log in :-s

Maybe your browser settings aren't letting you stay logged in as long as you could be?

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Woodruff on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:55 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:

I have no idea why you're timing out after 15 minutes. I can leave my computer set for 2 hours and come back without having to log in :-s

Maybe your browser settings aren't letting you stay logged in as long as you could be?

-rd

I do also get timed out on this website, and it does not happen on any others. So I don't believe it's a browser issue.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Just get LastPass. Aside from the fact that it solves this problem, it's also incredibly useful anyway.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby nryan115 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Thank you Hannibal. The way I see it this is far more annoying than drop down boxes for territory selection because it forces me to use the keyboard.

Please listen, I work on websites as part of my own business and thus I have 3 or more browsers that I use everyday on each of my several computers and 2 browsers on my cell hone. I do not use, and I am not interested in using, and I will not use my browser(s) to remember my passwords. I have my reasons and they are not important and should not need to be explained.

I also do not want and will not use a special program I install on my computer to manage my passwords. I am not looking for a work around I am simply trying to suggest that this website add something that is so common, and so standard on all websites that I have to try really hard to find one that does not have a "remember me" button. Adding it hurts nothing. Not having it is ridiculously arduous.

Maybe you do not like me and thats fine - but think of the people I represent - as mentioned those who do not come to the forums. Infact, maybe those that left the site and no longer come back. How is that not something you want to prevent? Normally I would never post in these forums myself. Look notice my post count. The only reason I started this thread was because I am just so sick and tired of there not being a remember me check box that I was on a verge of quitting and never coming back. We all have our little things and mine, apparently, is not wanting to type my freaking password into this site 140 times per week.

I should be able to use my computer and my browser how I wish. Which includes not having them manage my passwords. I am only asking for something that is unfathomable how this site doesn't have. Heck, even my several bank's websites store identification information in a cookie. If I clear my cookies it asks for exra info at login like my security questions. For what possible reason would this not be a fantastic and necessary idea?
Corporal nryan115

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 pm

nryan115 wrote:Adding it hurts nothing.

Actually, that's not true. Part of the benefit of the current system is that if you start a Speed Game and aren't active for 15 minutes, you'll log off and the game will be dropped. If you don't log off after you idle for 15 minutes, the Speed Game might start when you're away, which hurts everyone involved. I know that it's just an added benefit for protection, when people ought not to be leaving the site with joined games waiting to start, but it's probably saved more than a few deadbeats on CC.

All of the sites you've mentioned that have a long-term remember timer don't have any features which require immediate interaction with other humans. On sites that do have real-time interaction between users, a log-off timer can be a valuable thing. If you work on websites, surely you know this.

I should be able to use my computer and my browser how I wish. Which includes not having them manage my passwords.

You are allowed to use your computer how you wish. On CC, the price you currently pay for your choice is that you are logged off after being idle for 15 minutes. But it's not like you have some right to what you're asking for, you're just asking for it to be more convenient for you so you don't have to log in manually every time you want to check CC. I suggested a perfectly viable alternative for making your life more convenient as well. If you don't want to take that convenience, please don't blame other people for not making your life easier for you. Except for the speed game issue, what you're saying does make sense, but there's no reason to get indignant about it.

I also do not want and will not use a special program I install on my computer to manage my passwords.

LastPass is a browser extension, not its own program.

Postby nryan115 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 pm

You are correct, I am not the owner of the site and do not make the decisions. I also am not demanding it. this is not the general forum or the complaints forum. This is the suggestion forum an dI am suggesting that this is an important and needed feature. That is all. Mainly I wanted ot give the site a chance before i just quit it. Because to me - personally - it is that annoying.

Please excuse me I just get frustrated when I get the feeling that people do not read all of my posts and have to repeat myself but:

The remember me link has NOTHING TO DO with being "online" all the time. I am not asking to be logged in forever. On many many other websites you can click remember me and when you refresh the page or load it again you are logged in. However you are still offline after idle. As I mentioned in a previous post, there are sites that I visit many time per day, every day for over a year and my total "online" time is less than 56 hours. That is because I am offline after only a couple of minutes of inactivity. Everything about the current system would work the same - you could still be dropped from speed games after you leave for 15 minutes. Being logged into a site is separate from being online.

Every one of my online forums are setup this same way. Users have an "online" status only when on the site, but there is a remember me link that allows users to remain logged in.
Corporal nryan115

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 pm

nryan115 wrote:You are correct, I am not the owner of the site and do not make the decisions. I also am not demanding it. this is not the general forum or the complaints forum. This is the suggestion forum an dI am suggesting that this is an important and needed feature. That is all. Mainly I wanted ot give the site a chance before i just quit it. Because to me - personally - it is that annoying.

Look, I'm not saying this shouldn't be implemented. I'm just saying I doubt it's as easy as changing a number in a file somewhere, and that it could just as easily be solved by using a password manager, which would make your life easier anyway (not that it's any of my business, I'm just pointing this out). You may have a better feeling than I do for how to set up and maintain such a system, but any rate, I'm just asking you to keep in mind that when it comes to issues that can be solved easily by external software, the webmaster will probably choose to focus his time on other problems if the solution is not trivial. At any rate, have no doubt that your suggestion is taken seriously by the Suggestions moderators (as seen in this thread). However, also keep in mind that the somewhat frosty response you received is because you approached the subject as if there was no possible justification for the current system, when I doubt you even knew about being dropped from speed games (since you're not a premium member). The webmaster is not incompetent, and I'm sure that he isn't doing it intentionally to mess with people.

Perhaps someone could clarify whether such an implementation would require a structural reworking.

Also, an aside - you really check the site 25 times per day when you have one active game going?

Postby Hannibał on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

@ Metsfan, I did not realize when you were auto logged off it droped waiting speed games..interesting I see a valid argument for keeping the current system.

I still believe it should be a option, for those who would like it. But I can see how this would create more problems, for those like AoG who have stated they get distracted with speed games..I can't think of a way around that argument besides it would be a option, not forced. :-k
Sergeant Hannibał

Postby nryan115 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Yes I check the site often. Sometimes 25 times a day - lately with my single game maybe less. I think I've only logged in 3 times since my last post. I have few games because I am frustrated by the site and the game has been going on forever. What I cannot do is leave a game that has not ended.

I am not sure if I will be able to follow my own thread anymore. Hannibals post above is exactly what im talking about. Ive said it twice already - there wouldnt be a change to the current 15 minute idle stuff and still drop you from games if it does that.

You are correct I did not know that it did that - however, I do not have to because my suggestion changes nothing about idle, "offline" or any other thing that could be triggered by an offline status. So it doesnt harm anything. Also, my first post was supposed to be a complaining rant in the form of humor about how frustrated i am but I seriously believe you have all taken every other post out of context. I have tried Very hard to be as calm and careful as possible with my last few posts and you seem to be treating me as hostile.
Corporal nryan115

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:58 pm

nryan115 wrote:I am not sure if I will be able to follow my own thread anymore. Hannibals post above is exactly what im talking about. Ive said it twice already - there wouldnt be a change to the current 15 minute idle stuff and still drop you from games if it does that.

What you mean is that in the system you advocate, there wouldn't be a change to those mechanics. But I don't think you can know just how easy it is to make that change.

And if you were being humorous, well, then it was just a miscommunication. There are lot of people on CC who complain about a lot of things, answering complaints in Suggestions and GD can be rather tiresome after a while.

Postby Hannibał on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
nryan115 wrote:I am not sure if I will be able to follow my own thread anymore. Hannibals post above is exactly what im talking about. Ive said it twice already - there wouldnt be a change to the current 15 minute idle stuff and still drop you from games if it does that.

What you mean is that in the system you advocate, there wouldn't be a change to those mechanics. But I don't think you can know just how easy it is to make that change.

And if you were being humorous, well, then it was just a miscommunication. There are lot of people on CC who complain about a lot of things, answering complaints in Suggestions and GD can be rather tiresome after a while.

Your right, none of us probably know how smooth the change would be to make, I do wish threads got some kind of response from the techies though. Even if it was just to voice the "F you, take it or leave it" instead of talking to only you and the wall. ;)
Sergeant Hannibał

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions