Conquer Club

[EoA] Allow me to Stay Logged In

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Login timeout can be much much longer

Postby tarcellius on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Concise description:
  • Extend login timeout to 24 hours or more

Specifics/Details:
  • The current login timeout is somewhere around half an hour, maybe an hour. This isn't much longer than what is standard on bank sites! For game sites, something like 24 hours seems more appropriate. There's nothing terribly critical on my conquerclub account. I would rather not have to login again almost every time I check the site. I find it hard to believe this hasn't been suggested before, but I found no existing thread in the suggestions forum.

Also, this mechanism for posting is really clunky.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • We won't have to login so often.
Colonel tarcellius

Re: Login timeout can be much much longer

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 pm

A similar topic was actually brought up before: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=141496
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby QoH on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm pretty much logged on for hours, even on my phone which shows me as online for most of the day.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Re: Allow me to stay logged in

Postby tarcellius on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 pm

I wish I had known about this thread when it was active. Of course, I almost never interact on the forums, so that's no surprise. I am a premium member, though, and I do like the games. Earlier today I posted a suggestion for a much longer timeout because I was also annoyed by having to login so often. I was directed to this thread.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly support rryan's suggestion, as well as all his arguments and counter-arguments. Even the minor amount of frustration he showed through some remarkable self-restraint. I won't bother repeating everything he argued for, or trying to add any more clarification of the terms involved. Please consider my vote to be exactly alongside his. I believe many more people would appreciate the feature, too.

Thanks for reading. I hope the technical people do have a chance to consider this.
Colonel tarcellius

Postby tarcellius on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:A similar topic was actually brought up before: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=141496

Thanks Metsfanmax! That thread does discuss this same issue. I added a post there.
Colonel tarcellius

Postby blakebowling on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Topics Merged.
Private blakebowling

Postby Robespierre__ on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:37 am

If this is something that is technically feasible given the site's architecture, it would be nice. I think busy people get annoyed when they have small time wastes throughout their day. If there is something that can be done for them, it would be a nice gesture.
Colonel Robespierre__

Postby GeneralJestix on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:14 pm

I also agree that this should be implemented. Hell I would be happy for 1-2 hours of inactive time to force me to log back in rather than 15 minutes.
Lieutenant GeneralJestix

Postby chapcrap on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm pretty sure that the inactive time is set for an hour now. I wouldn't mind a longer time, but this would be pretty low on list of priorities. However, I think that it should be pretty easy to implement.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 pm

chapcrap wrote:I'm pretty sure that the inactive time is set for an hour now. I wouldn't mind a longer time, but this would be pretty low on list of priorities. However, I think that it should be pretty easy to implement.

it is an hour now.

will the site still drop your speed game if you have been inactive for 15 minutes ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby blakebowling on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:00 pm

greenoaks wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I'm pretty sure that the inactive time is set for an hour now. I wouldn't mind a longer time, but this would be pretty low on list of priorities. However, I think that it should be pretty easy to implement.

it is an hour now.

will the site still drop your speed game if you have been inactive for 15 minutes ?

Yes. How long before you get logged out is not the same as dropping speed games. The time stored is the last time you loaded a page, and calculations are made from there.
Private blakebowling

Postby tarcellius on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:30 am

Great! Then no architecture changes are needed and it really is just a matter of changing a number somewhere. I vote for at least 24 hours, if not more.
Colonel tarcellius

Postby chapcrap on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 am

tarcellius wrote:Great! Then no architecture changes are needed and it really is just a matter of changing a number somewhere. I vote for at least 24 hours, if not more.

If it's changed, I think 24 hours is plenty. I just don't want to hear people complain about forgetting to log off and someone getting on their account and ruining their turns.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Keep users signed into CC for longer than an hour

Postby markus Oralius on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Let's keep users logged in for a month or so.
Hulu keeps me in for a month, Netflix doesnt boot me out until 3 months have gone by, and Gmail, ebay, and facebook all keep users logged in for at least 2 weeks before requiring them to sign back in.
Why does CC need to be so secure? It might not sound like a big deal, but its kindof annoying for people that keep the CC screen minimized and check it frequently, and it would be easy for the programmers to change.
I think the default should be 4 weeks with maybe an option for people to adjust it down if they want to.
Colonel markus Oralius

Re: Keep users signed into CC for longer than an hour

Postby chapcrap on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm

This has definitely been suggested and talked about. I don't think it got too far. I don't see a problem with taking a few seconds to log in. Better safe than sorry. 4 weeks seems a little long.

Also, want to point out that it's not an hour and then you have to login again. It's after an hour of inactivity. I wouldn't mind seeing it upped to 2-4 hours, but I don't think this is a big issue.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:38 pm

There has been enough issues with account security over this last year, I really doubt that this will happen.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby markus Oralius on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:31 pm

How is it a security risk?
My scottrade account has less security! If that's CC's reason (and I doubt that it is) then they're being paranoid.
Colonel markus Oralius

Postby jefjef on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I can hardly be on CC long enough to type a paragraph long post or pm and not get timed out. There are lots of times if I don't take speed turns I lose communication with the server. Whats up with that CC?
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby dwilhelmi on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:There has been enough issues with account security over this last year, I really doubt that this will happen.

But the issues with account security have nothing to do with you remaining logged in at any given computer. The issues that have come up have been around other people knowing your password, or getting it, and logging in from their computer. As long as your computer environment is secure, this is not a problem. And you could always make it a "keep me logged in" checkbox, so that if someone is at an insecure location they don't check that box and it works like it always has. Wouldn't be a hard change to make, and it would please a lot of people, while the people that don't like it don't have to use it.
Colonel dwilhelmi

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:50 am

I fully agree with the available checkbox.

Though it isn't incredibly troublesome to log back in. But I mean, the skip a game feature is one of the worst suggestions ever but that still went through.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:21 am

Keeping people logged in would be a terrible nuisance. One of the things about CC that works reasonably well is that (most of the time) when it says someone is online, they really are. So if you write to them and you want an answer back right away, there's a decent chance you'll get it. Can you imagine sending someone a question when it says they're online and they're really not? Now you don't know -- are they really online? Maybe, maybe not. Should you ask someone else? How do you know he's online?

I can see nothing but downside. What could possibly be the upside of doing this?
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby chapcrap on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Keeping people logged in would be a terrible nuisance. One of the things about CC that works reasonably well is that (most of the time) when it says someone is online, they really are. So if you write to them and you want an answer back right away, there's a decent chance you'll get it. Can you imagine sending someone a question when it says they're online and they're really not? Now you don't know -- are they really online? Maybe, maybe not. Should you ask someone else? How do you know he's online?

I can see nothing but downside. What could possibly be the upside of doing this?

About this: it says they are online if they have been active in the past 5 minutes or something, right? It's not just if they are logged in. So, I don't think that would be effected.

Am I right about that?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I can see nothing but downside. What could possibly be the upside of doing this?

The upside? It saves people apparently 2 seconds to click login I guess.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Evil Semp on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:42 pm

[
dwilhelmi wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:There has been enough issues with account security over this last year, I really doubt that this will happen.

But the issues with account security have nothing to do with you remaining logged in at any given computer. The issues that have come up have been around other people knowing your password, or getting it, and logging in from their computer.

We have had people leave it logged in and then say someone else at work or a room mate started some games. I think most people who might do a practical joke wouldn't screw around with someones online trading account but might not worry as much with an online game.

jefjef wrote:I can hardly be on CC long enough to type a paragraph long post or pm and not get timed out. There are lots of times if I don't take speed turns I lose communication with the server. Whats up with that CC?

jefjef what kind of string do you have between those tin cans? I find I have less problems with lag or being timed out when I use the waxed string.
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby markus Oralius on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:34 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I can see nothing but downside. What could possibly be the upside of doing this?

The upside? It saves people apparently 2 seconds to click login I guess.

Every little bit helps, thats how you become and stay #1
Colonel markus Oralius

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions