Conquer Club

Topic Icon Explanation

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Topic Icon Explanation

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:27 am

We have a new system for Open tournaments.

From now on the Tournament Director who is responsible for opening tournaments will use topic icons to differentiate between tournaments in the Create/Join Tournament Forum.

The icons will be used as follows:
  • Tournaments that are 3 days old or newer will be marked with this icon: Image
  • Tournaments that are 4-23 days old with be marked with this icon: Image
  • Tournaments that have 7 days or less left for sign ups will be marked with this icon: Image
  • Tournaments that a TD has questions about before if being opened will be marked with this icon: Image
  • Official Tournaments will be marked with this icon: Image
  • TPA Tournaments will be marked with this icon: Image
  • Grand Finale Tournaments will be marked with this icon: Image
If your tournament has been in the forum longer than 24 hours and it is not marked or not Open, please PM crazymilkshake5 using this form:

===============
PM Subject: New Tournament
--------------------------
    Tournament Title: Put the name of your Tournament here. Make sure you use proper spelling and capitalization, because what you send us will be the label for your games. You cannot use the same title as a previous tournament.

Tournament Type: Pick the ONE most important option to describe your tournament: Standard, Terminator, Assassin, Doubles, Triples, Quadruples, Fog of War, Manual Initial Troops, Sports League, Large Team, Mixed (mixed game types like doubles then singles).

Tournament Topic: Copy/Paste the link to your Tourney thread here. Make sure it's clickable so we can get to the thread.

Tournament Organizer: Put the Tourney organizer name here (co-organizers will only receive privileges/medals on a case-by-case basis as determined by the Director if the tournament is sufficiently large in number of players and/or games played).

Comments: If you have any comments or questions, put them here.
===============

Code: Select all
[b]PM Subject:[/b] New Tournament
--------------------------
[list][b][u]Tournament Title:[/u][/b]  Put the name of your Tournament here.  Make sure you use proper spelling and capitalization, because what you send us will be the label for your games.  You cannot use the same title as a previous tournament.

[b][u]Tournament Type:[/u][/b] Pick the [b]ONE[/b] most important option to describe your tournament: Standard, Terminator, Assassin, Doubles, Triples, Quadruples, Fog of War, Manual Initial Troops, Sports League, Large Team, Mixed (mixed game types like doubles then singles).

[b][u]Tournament Topic:[/u][/b]  Copy/Paste the link to your Tourney thread here.  Make sure it's clickable so we can get to the thread.

[b][u]Tournament Organizer:[/u][/b]  Put the Tourney organizer name here (co-organizers will only receive privileges/medals on a case-by-case basis as determined by the Director if the tournament is sufficiently large in number of players and/or games played).

[b][u]Comments:[/u][/b]  If you have any comments or questions, put them here.[/list]

Tournament Director in charge of Opening Tournaments: crazymilkshake5
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Topic Icon Explanation

Postby greenoaks on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:00 am

and how are we expected to remember all that?

unless there is a graphic at the top of the page with your explanations .............
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby SimplyObsessed on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:02 am

greenoaks wrote:and how are we expected to remember all that?

unless there is a graphic at the top of the page with your explanations .............

I'm sure you'll get used to it like everything else on this site
Corporal 1st Class SimplyObsessed

Postby chapcrap on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 pm

greenoaks wrote:and how are we expected to remember all that?

You can always look back here to see. :)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby anonymus on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 am

how about a mouse-over text explaining the icon in question?
(i went into the triangle ones expecting to see something nasty, dont let others feel as let down as i did when there is nothing to be found)..

also there where a bug where i could mark my own post somehow also.. its in the feudal march madness..

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Cook anonymus

Postby Night Strike on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm

anonymus wrote:how about a mouse-over text explaining the icon in question?
(i went into the triangle ones expecting to see something nasty, dont let others feel as let down as i did when there is nothing to be found)..

also there where a bug where i could mark my own post somehow also.. its in the feudal march madness..

A mouse-over isn't possible.

And the ability for users to mark their own tournaments should have been removed. You shouldn't be able to do it today if you were to try.
Major Night Strike

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 pm

why have the TD's been wasting their time with this pointless update?

• we already know if a tournament is brand new because the thread says the date created
  • we already know if a tournament is 3 to 23 days old because the thread says the date created
  • we already know if a tournament has a few days to go because, you guessed it, we know the date created
  • we already know if a tournament is a part of the TPA because the title says, :shock: , [TPA]
  • we already know if a tournament is an official tournament because the title says, :shock: , [Official]

the only thing we can't tell by looking at the forum is if the TD's have an issue with a tournament. these now have a Image but that could have been handled by adding [?] to the title
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 pm

greenoaks wrote:why have the TD's been wasting their time with this pointless update?

Fixed.

The time wasted used was my time and it took me 20 minutes to implement. And whatever time Andy took to set it up (not much). It takes about an extra 2 seconds per tournament for me.

The reason it was implemented is two-fold. First, it helps me to make sure that I have looked at every tournament like I should. Second, some users have requested a way to easier know what tournaments were new. This helps with that.

Is a problem you have with it? Does it offend you? Do you have a reason for this not to be done?

anonymus wrote:how about a mouse-over text explaining the icon in question?

NS is right. Initially, everyone could use the icons, but that has been fixed since you made the post.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:59 pm

chapcrap wrote:
greenoaks wrote:why have the TD's been wasting their time with this pointless update?

Fixed.

The time wasted used was my time and it took me 20 minutes to implement. And whatever time Andy took to set it up (not much). It takes about an extra 2 seconds per tournament for me.

The reason it was implemented is two-fold. First, it helps me to make sure that I have looked at every tournament like I should. Second, some users have requested a way to easier know what tournaments were new. This helps with that.

Is a problem you have with it? Does it offend you? Do you have a reason for this not to be done?

you are duplicating information that only a moron couldn't see.

now if you'd made it so those circles appeared on the 'Join A Tournament' tab where there is absolutely no information available then this would be amazing. where it is now - useless.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Night Strike on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:03 pm

greenoaks wrote:you are duplicating information that only a moron couldn't see.

now if you'd made it so those circles appeared on the 'Join A Tournament' tab where there is absolutely no information available then this would be amazing. where it is now - useless.

We can only work within the options already provided to us on the site. None of us TDs have the ability to code any features to the site, and adding those icons to the database would require coding. No need to get hostile over something minor like this.
Major Night Strike

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Night Strike wrote:

We can only work within the options already provided to us on the site. None of us TDs have the ability to code any features to the site, and adding those icons to the database would require coding. No need to get hostile over something minor like this.

there's no hostility, just amazement that you guys think this is a worthwhile addition to the Create/Join A Tournament forum where this info is already in plain sight.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby chapcrap on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:48 am

As previously stated, this is not only for the the tournament players, but also to help the TD who is responsible for this forum (currently me). And, it's not like anyone is touting it as some major update or something. It was a system that was already in place that I decided to use.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Night Strike on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 pm

greenoaks wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

there's no hostility, just amazement that you guys think this is a worthwhile addition to the Create/Join A Tournament forum where this info is already in plain sight.

We don't think it's that worthwhile. It took less than a week to discuss and implement, which is virtually no time at all compared to most tournament things that have been implemented in the past. It is just an announcement so people know what's going on.
Major Night Strike

Postby patrickaa317 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Appears with the exclamation mark on this thread that people have less than seven days to sign up on this one... ;)
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby chapcrap on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:38 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:Appears with the exclamation mark on this thread that people have less than seven days to sign up on this one... ;)

Does that mean you're in? ;)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby deantursx on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 pm

I don't get why people would have a problem with this...Its clearly better. Thanks guys!

Highest Score: 3047 - 2/11/13
Major deantursx

Postby chapcrap on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:25 pm

deantursx wrote:I don't get why people would have a problem with this...Its clearly better. Thanks guys!

Thanks dean. We hope to make it more better soon. :-$
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 pm

deantursx wrote:I don't get why people would have a problem with this...Its clearly better. Thanks guys!

it is NOT clearly better at all

if this was on the Find A Tournament page this would be, like, totally awesome man. where it is chap has said it is an improvement for TD's but for players it is a duplication of information already available on that page.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 pm

greenoaks wrote:

if this was on the Find A Tournament page this would be, like, totally awesome man. where it is chap has said it is an improvement for TD's but for players it is a duplication of information already available on that page.

Duplicate information but it's much easier to find new tournaments to look for a little green circle rather than having to read each date. It is definitely an improvement though you just would rather have them focus on different improvements.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Night Strike on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:14 am

greenoaks wrote:

You're wanting a solution that requires lack to code. Topic icons were simply a flip of the switch by Andy. We would ALL love to be able to get more coding out of lack, but that's a luxury we don't usually get. Please go take those problems up with him and quit blaming us for not being able to code the updates that you would like.
Major Night Strike

Postby MrBoom on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:45 pm

nice, simple, useful update that makes life a bit easier. Thanks guys.
Major MrBoom

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm

MrBoom wrote:nice, simple, useful update that makes life a bit easier. Thanks guys.

+1
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:16 pm

We have updated the OP to reflect the addition of these new icons. I would like to thank thenobodies80 for help with this and AndyDufresne for facilitating the process.

We hope this makes it even easier for you. :)

chap
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Swifte on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Much cooler and more intuitive. Thanks!
Colonel Swifte

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:53 pm

chapcrap wrote:We have updated the OP to reflect the addition of these new icons. I would like to thank thenobodies80 for help with this and AndyDufresne for facilitating the process.

We hope this makes it even easier for you. :)

chap

I suppose I'll get used to it eventually. For now, however, I'm finding it really distracting. It really pulls the eye away from the Title of the thread.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Next

Return to Tournament Archives