Conquer Club

The Temple of Jinn [03/02/2014] V9m pg 15

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Temple of Jinn [03/02/2014] V9m pg 15

Postby Blakkrose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:02 am

ImageImage Image
Hello,
I'm back with my last work.
After the failure of Shannara; after the "accident" with my other work: Fantasitaly, lost with my irreparably damaged 16Gb pen drive, i try to publish a new map: The Temple of Jinn.

Map Name:
The Temple of Jinn

Mapmaker(s):
Blakkrose

Number of Territories:

Description
This is the first map in isometric, a first experiment which seems to be fully successful.
The map depicts a temple used by a group of worshipers of the spiritual forces called djinns.
The goal is to become masters of the temple and control all the djinns and other creatures in the dungeon.

Special Features:
Bombardments, Conditional Border, Territories with Decay.

What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
The isometric perspective

Map Image Large version (840x400):
show

Map Image Small version (630x600):
show

These are the 3 color blind tests
show

This is the version with all the neutral troops in the territories (840x800)
show

This is the 88 test - Large version (840x800)
show

This is the 88 test - Small version (630x600)
show

This is the 888 test - Large version (840x800)
show

This is the 888 test - Small version (630x600)
show

Old versions
show

Gameplay:
show

The Copyright Agreement
show

Basic idea taken from the work of Herwin. The level has been completely redesigned.

Draft Stamp (12 Aug 2013)
Gameplay Stamp (28 Sep 2013)
Graphic Stamp (25 Oct 2013)
Beta Stamp (09 Mar 2014)

N.B.:
This map would better played with fog and nuclear reinforcements.
Last edited by Blakkrose on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 66 times in total.
Private Blakkrose

Re: The Temple of Thime [19/07/2013]

Postby waauw on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:28 am

I like this one, though I'd prefer if you picked a different background.
Something slightly darker perhaps to give the map and the monsters a darker and more terrifying atmosphere
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Blakkrose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 am

waauw wrote:I like this one, though I'd prefer if you picked a different background.
Something slightly darker perhaps to give the map and the monsters a darker and more terrifying atmosphere

Sure!
I can try...

Thanks
Private Blakkrose

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 am

Blakkrose, I like the idea, but where did you get the layout from? I am after something similar myself.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Blakkrose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 am

koontz1973 wrote:Blakkrose, I like the idea, but where did you get the layout from? I am after something similar myself.

Sorry but i dont see your image. Can you check the link integrity, please?

As i wrote i'm working with a Herwin Wielink map (http://www.fantasy-maps.com)
I have permission to go ahead.
Do you think I should throw away all of my work because your work is similar to mine?
Private Blakkrose

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 am

Blakkrose wrote:Sorry but i dont see your image. Can you check the link integrity, please?

Never posted one

Blakkrose wrote:As i wrote i'm working with a Herwin Wielink map (http://www.fantasy-maps.com)

Blakkrose, please post the agreement you have.
Blakkrose wrote:Do you think I should throw away all of my work because your work is similar to mine?

Why would you need to do that? I have not said that in any way.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Blakkrose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Blakkrose wrote:Sorry but i dont see your image. Can you check the link integrity, please?

Never posted one

Blakkrose wrote:As i wrote i'm working with a Herwin Wielink map (http://www.fantasy-maps.com)

Blakkrose, please post the agreement you have.
Blakkrose wrote:Do you think I should throw away all of my work because your work is similar to mine?

Why would you need to do that? I have not said that in any way.

I report the entire conversation (my request and his answer):
Hi Blakkrose,

the ISO dungeon map (http://fantasy-maps.com/wp-content/gall ... _thime.jpg) is released under CC-BY-NC-SA license, so feel free to use it for non-commercial purposes. If possible, please add a link to my website (fantasy-maps.com).

Cheers,

Herwin

Sent: dinsdag 9 juli 2013 9:18
To: info@fantasy-maps.com
Subject: Isometric Dungeon Map

Hello, i'm Blakkrose,

I'm a member of Conquerclub community (http://www.conquerclub.com).

We play free Risk online using hundred maps.

I want to create a new map using your work: Isometric Dungeon
http://www.profantasy.com/rpgmaps/?p=1308#comments

or some like that.

Your work is fantastic and i love it!

I ask your permission to use your work.

Trusting in your collaboration

Blakkrose

Now i would see your work, please.
Private Blakkrose

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but koontz is saying that he likes the layout and was working on one similar, in which sharing ideas and having help is what he was after. Or that's how I read it. Not by any means that you would need to stop just bc they are similar, etc.

Now, I really like this, and I'm impressed with your ability to cut it out and add to it so nicely. With that being said, someone else can correct me as well, but unfortunately CC maps are considered "commercial" maps, not non-commercial. Although players are able to join for free, this is still a money-making site with premium players as well. You may want to just go back to the guy and let him know. I'm sure if he's already given permission something like that might not stand in the way.

Either way, keep up the great work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby Blakkrose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Seamus76 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but koontz is saying that he likes the layout and was working on one similar, in which sharing ideas and having help is what he was after. Or that's how I read it. Not by any means that you would need to stop just bc they are similar, etc.

Now, I really like this, and I'm impressed with your ability to cut it out and add to it so nicely. With that being said, someone else can correct me as well, but unfortunately CC maps are considered "commercial" maps, not non-commercial. Although players are able to join for free, this is still a money-making site with premium players as well. You may want to just go back to the guy and let him know. I'm sure if he's already given permission something like that might not stand in the way.

COMMERCIAL???

Is it possible that I can not create a map?
This is the fourth attempt and again goes wrong!
Ok, project aborted!

Good night
Private Blakkrose

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Blakkrose wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but koontz is saying that he likes the layout and was working on one similar, in which sharing ideas and having help is what he was after. Or that's how I read it. Not by any means that you would need to stop just bc they are similar, etc.

COMMERCIAL???

Ok, project aborted!

Good night
Whoa! Big fella. Number one, I'm not 100% on that so don't go abandoning ship just yet, and number two, it may just be as simple as asking him and explaining how the site works. Or, what I'd really like to see is you take this map and make your own version, using it as a guide or whatever, but developing your skills to such a degree that you can pull this off, and many more. Trust me when I say I'm no artist, and I can't freehand anything to save my life, but looking at the map it seems there would be a couple of ways to make it work. I hope you can, and as always the community is here to help.
ImageImageImage

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:05 pm

I really like this. I like the angled perspective of this board, instead of the usual "straight down" view on maps like Draknor
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby Blakkrose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm

Seamus76 wrote:
Blakkrose wrote:

COMMERCIAL???

Ok, project aborted!

Good night
Whoa! Big fella. Number one, I'm not 100% on that so don't go abandoning ship just yet, and number two, it may just be as simple as asking him and explaining how the site works. Or, what I'd really like to see is you take this map and make your own version, using it as a guide or whatever, but developing your skills to such a degree that you can pull this off, and many more. Trust me when I say I'm no artist, and I can't freehand anything to save my life, but looking at the map it seems there would be a couple of ways to make it work. I hope you can, and as always the community is here to help.

Ok, if you can... help me.
Thanks
Private Blakkrose

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:24 am

Blakkrose wrote:COMMERCIAL???

Ok, project aborted!

Good night

I am looking into this today and I would expect an answer sometime next week from the higher ups.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 am

I would sure say this is commercial use. Anything that makes money off a map is commercial use. In other words CC would have to be completely 100% all the time free. It is not so this cannot be used. Someone cannot profit from this map other than said company.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:57 am

Bruceswar wrote:I would sure say this is commercial use. Anything that makes money off a map is commercial use. In other words CC would have to be completely 100% all the time free. It is not so this cannot be used. Someone cannot profit from this map other than said company.

This was my reaction, but I want to be 100% sure before I give Blakkrose a proper answer.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Blakkrose on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:39 am

Bruceswar wrote:I would sure say this is commercial use. Anything that makes money off a map is commercial use. In other words CC would have to be completely 100% all the time free. It is not so this cannot be used. Someone cannot profit from this map other than said company.

The creator of the map Diskworld got the permission from the author to publish their work. It 'been given permission for COMMERCIAL purposes?

Are you sure???
Private Blakkrose

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:03 am

Blakkrose wrote:

The creator of the map Diskworld got the permission from the author to publish their work. It 'been given permission for COMMERCIAL purposes?

Are you sure???

It was fully granted for use. Yep, this one is not as per the agreement. You better go back and clarify again with the right people on the map's end.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 am

Yeah, the tone of the message you got first time seems as though they may well grant you permission for CC-use only - just be sure to explain that this will be another of hundreds of maps, the map itself wont be generating specific income, just adding a little extra fun for members. CC wont be selling the map etc.

Good luck, give it a shot, its worth it, the map looks cool. :D
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:40 am

It certainly looks good.

It would be worth investing a few days of work into negotiating an agreement that will make it possible.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Blakkrose on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:22 am

Dukasaur wrote:It certainly looks good.

It would be worth investing a few days of work into negotiating an agreement that will make it possible.

Yesterday I sent a message to the author and I'm waiting for an answer...
Private Blakkrose

Postby Blakkrose on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 am

Ehi boys, i have good news!
Finally Herwin gave me the permission to use his work for the map.

These are the messages of latest days:
[Herwin - 22 juli 2013 11:24]
In this case, I’m fine for you to use the map for this. If possible please add a link to my website (fantasy-maps.com) in the credits.
Cheers, Herwin

[Blakkrose - 22 juli 2013 8:39]
Let me better explain:
This is and extract of Conquerclub Home Page:

"Welcome to Conquer Club, the ultimate online multiplayer world domination game!
It's free to play, so what are you waiting for? Register now!"

Tha basic registration is free and with the free membership you can play up to 4 games at once.
if you want to play more than 4 games at once, you can buy a subscription for one year and you will no longer limit.

Conquerclub therefore does not sell anything.
It receives no profit from a map in particular.
What he gets is used to cover the running costs of the servers.
Do you think that this can be considered to all intents and purposes a "commercial purpose web site"?

[Herwin - 21/07/13 21:46]
Hi Blakkrose, your adaptions to the map look great (note btw that you created a derivative work, and normally this not allowed under the license provided (The SA “Share Alike” part)). But as long as this is used for non-commercial purposes, I will allow you to create a derivative work.

However I’m not sure I understand your question. There is a website that requests members for content, and then copyrights this, and charges other members to use this? If this is the case, I’m afraid this commercial use, and hence not possible with the license provided.

Best regards,
Herwin

[Blakkrose - 20 juli 2013 14:30]
Hello, Herwin
i'm Blakkrose.

I asked you the permission to use your ISO dungeon map (http://fantasy-maps.com/wp-content/gall ... _thime.jpg)
and you answer that you map is released under CC-BY-NC-SA license.

Now Conquerclub asked me the right to use my work for commercial purpose becouse they have free users but also premium users who pay an annual fee.

I'm so sorry but i ask your help.

How can I do?
Can I delete typical items and locations from your map and only use the main concept?
This is my last work: http://www.blakkrose.altervista.org/Tem ... e_Ver2.jpg
I can eliminate Machine Room, modify Treasure Cave, Lost City, Abandoned Mine, the Temple and change locations names.
What do you think about?

Thanks
Blakkrose

Thank you for the encouragement!!!
Last edited by Blakkrose on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private Blakkrose

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Awesome job! Way to stick with it. Now, let's make a map!
ImageImageImage

Postby Blakkrose on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 am

Seamus76 wrote:Awesome job! Way to stick with it. Now, let's make a map!

OK, i'm ready.

What can i do to advance the creation of the map?
Private Blakkrose

Postby iancanton on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 pm

what role do u want the monsters to play? at the moment, everyone will ignore them because the winning condition is difficult, the neutrals are very high and the monsters have no bonus.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Blakkrose on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 am

iancanton wrote:what role do u want the monsters to play? at the moment, everyone will ignore them because the winning condition is difficult, the neutrals are very high and the monsters have no bonus.

ian. :)

I thought that since killing monsters is part of victory conditions was not the case of giving a bonus for killing them...
if it needed i can insert a bonus for some monster:

Flying Eye + Ghost + Mummy = +2
Giant = +1
Hydra = +1
Octopus = +1
Last Warrior = +1

Red Dragon guards the treasure so there is no bonus for killing him, but I can increase the bonus for the Treasure from +1 to +2

The only monster to kill for access to the Temple of Thime is the Marine Serpent so there is no bonus for killing him. Remember that St4 teleport (the Statue of Thime) connects with all the other teleport and this is a great strategic advantage.
Private Blakkrose

Next

Return to The Atlas