Erased permanently
6%
Kept the same way, locked except for anniversaries
25%

Total votes : 32

[GP/GF] Permanently Open the World Cup Maps

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Open up the World Cup maps permanently.

This is a petition, I dont know why these maps are still around if they are unusable since the years 2010/2011 have passed. So if you agree that these maps should be open permanently, please sign the petition and your name will be posted on here by me :). Hopefully we can get enough support for the mods to agree (maybe even mods will agree, who knows!) and get them either opened or erased, as they are sort of pointless being there, unopened forever.

show: Petition
Colonel NoSurvivors

Re: Erase or permanently open the world cup 2010/2011 maps

Postby Ltrain on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm

I think these are cool, simple maps. I'd understand if they end up only being opened on anniversaries but I voted for all the time cause I like em!
Captain Ltrain

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:47 pm

I had actually just PMed rds and nobodies on this very issue.

My idea is to definitely remake the maps for each World Cup, but the question is - do we want to keep the old map if the new one is, essentially, the same map?
OR should we make the new one in a different style?
Would it then have to go through the foundry?
Could it go through the foundry quickly enough to be ready in time?

These are the main questions we are considering at this time.
I shall keep you posted.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:50 pm

i think the current rule is all maps go through the foundry
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:37 pm

They should be opened permanently (just for those who want to crossmap), and new better maps (that actually go through the foundry) should be created.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby blakebowling on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:40 pm

I have no personal problem with opening them permanently. However, it's not possible to delete them from the system (as games have been played on them).
Private blakebowling

Postby Frox333 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:00 pm

agreed. I think they should be opened permanetly
Brigadier Frox333

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 pm

I fully support this. Sign me up NoS.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby patrickaa317 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 am

agreed, open 'em up
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby spiesr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 am

A better question is:
Should the new edition of the World Cup Maps be treated as a revamp, where it overwrites the old one. (Allowing for people to have another chance to crossmap it every time it comes back.)
Or should the new edition be a separate map. (Allowing for each to potentially be crossmaped separately.)
Captain spiesr

Postby puppydog85 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:15 am

Treat them as revamps,

And just for kicks turn the one into a men's world cup and the other into a women's. That way you don't have a permanently retired map that no one can ever play (or delete)
Sergeant 1st Class puppydog85

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 am

puppydog85 wrote:Treat them as revamps,

And just for kicks turn the one into a men's world cup and the other into a women's. That way you don't have a permanently retired map that no one can ever play (or delete)

It's already like this. 2010 is men's, 2011 is women's.

spiesr wrote:A better question is:
Should the new edition of the World Cup Maps be treated as a revamp, where it overwrites the old one. (Allowing for people to have another chance to crossmap it every time it comes back.)
Or should the new edition be a separate map. (Allowing for each to potentially be crossmaped separately.)

This, absolutely. Give it a good theme and have it overwrite the old maps (like Midgard).
Major Gilligan

Postby kuma32478 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm

I'd like to see them opened as well
Private 1st Class kuma32478

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm not sure I'm understanding your first scenario correctly. Are you saying that, in that case, Map Rank would see the 2010 and 2014 maps as one and the same?
I think I like the second option better anyway, though.
What I'm considering now is a competition, but one in which every design that meets Foundry standards is used - one in 2014, one in 2015, one in 2018, etc., and then all are left open permanently.
I'll PM rds now about permanently opening 2010 and 2011.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Gilligan wrote:

This, absolutely. Give it a good theme and have it overwrite the old maps (like Midgard).

This has my vote.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

This has my vote.

Why overwrite them, like someone suggested earlier, what will it say in the map ranks... Those who played the map in 2010 and 2011 will now the same wins and UD's for 2014 and 2015 ? I say open them and make new maps
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

This has my vote.

Why overwrite them, like someone suggested earlier, what will it say in the map ranks... Those who played the map in 2010 and 2011 will now the same wins and UD's for 2014 and 2015 ? I say open them and make new maps

Well, I assumed that it was always the same teams in the World Cup, so they would just be revamps. But I've been made aware that the composition of the World Cup changes, so I suppose they would have to be new maps.

Still, looking at the future -- if CC lasts for 1000 years, will there be 500 different World Cup maps cluttering the map list? But I suppose by then the map list will finally be sortable, so that will solve the problem.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Also, the maps suck. The first one is a poor bastardization of the St. Patrick's day map, which is already the worst map on the site. We need new ones.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby spiesr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:

I'm not sure I'm understanding your first scenario correctly. Are you saying that, in that case, Map Rank would see the 2010 and 2014 maps as one and the same?
A Revamp would change the image and territory names, leaving the gameplay the same. The new version would overwrite the previous one, all games on the 2010 map would retroactively become 2014. The same way that Middle Earth became Centerscape then Midguard. (The crossmap medal would treat them as the same because they would be the same map. Every time the world cup comes around player would have another shot at crossmapping that map.)
Captain spiesr

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:33 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Also, the maps suck. The first one is a poor bastardization of the St. Patrick's day map, which is already the worst map on the site. We need new ones.

:o :o :o :o HOW DARE YOU.... It's an awesome map!
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Armandolas on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 pm

spiesr wrote:A Revamp would change the image and territory names, leaving the gameplay the same. The new version would overwrite the previous one, all games on the 2010 map would retroactively become 2014. The same way that Middle Earth became Centerscape then Midguard. (The crossmap medal would treat them as the same because they would be the same map. Every time the world cup comes around player would have another shot at crossmapping that map.)

I support this
I also add that the map should be open until the next world cup is fully seded in real life.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Also, the maps suck. The first one is a poor bastardization of the St. Patrick's day map, which is already the worst map on the site. We need new ones.

Agree to disagree?
Major DoomYoshi

Postby patrickaa317 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:

i agree with this.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Meh, maybe I was a bit quick to judge it, now that I read the log of some of your games patrick, I see it could be a nice game for new clan-players.

I would be able to form a proper opinion if it was opened, though.

How about a charity thinger to open these up?
Major DoomYoshi

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 pm

I think all holiday / special maps that have been played enough that any bugs would have already been detected, should be given an honorary foundry stamp and opened up for all players all the time.

This business of keeping maps around for years and only letting them be played for a week a year is a bit ridiculous. If they're good enough to play for a week a year for several years in a row, they should be good enough to play all the time.

The fact that many of the holiday maps are "simple" should merely make it easier to give them a pass and open them up.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions