69%
Erased permanently
6%
Kept the same way, locked except for anniversaries
25%

Total votes : 32

Re: Erase or permanently open the world cup 2010/2011 maps

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:28 am

I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is: I have rds' unofficial approval to open the World Cup maps - pending thenobodies80's OK.
The bad news (and the reason I put that last part in bold) is: nobodies is moving, slowly, and won't be back until mid-August - isaiah is acting Foreman in the meanwhile.

A possibility we have been discussing is simply removing the year, renaming them FIFA Men's and Women's World Cup, and taking them down for a few hours (if that) evvery four years to update the countries once qualification is complete.

I am not going to comment at this time re: other holiday maps, as I am not quite sure where I stand on that particular matter.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby NoSurvivors on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:56 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is: I have rds' unofficial approval to open the World Cup maps - pending thenobodies80's OK.
The bad news (and the reason I put that last part in bold) is: nobodies is moving, slowly, and won't be back until mid-August - isaiah is acting Foreman in the meanwhile.

A possibility we have been discussing is simply removing the year, renaming them FIFA Men's and Women's World Cup, and taking them down for a few hours (if that) evvery four years to update the countries once qualification is complete.

I am not going to comment at this time re: other holiday maps, as I am not quite sure where I stand on that particular matter.

sempai

Sweet! Thanks sempai :) That would be pretty awesome! Keep us in the know :)
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:17 pm

stahrgazer wrote:I think all holiday / special maps that have been played enough that any bugs would have already been detected, should be given an honorary foundry stamp and opened up for all players all the time.

This business of keeping maps around for years and only letting them be played for a week a year is a bit ridiculous. If they're good enough to play for a week a year for several years in a row, they should be good enough to play all the time.

The fact that many of the holiday maps are "simple" should merely make it easier to give them a pass and open them up.

If we open up all the special event maps, then what would be left to make special events special? If you went to see fireworks every day, what would there be to make Victoria Day magical (or Independence Day, I suppose, for you)? If people served eggnog and platters of macadamia nuts all year round, what would there be making Christmas special? If you dressed like a witch every day, would Halloween lose its mystique? (Well, I suppose you could be auditioning for a part as my Grade 10 English teacher, but that's another story.)

There's definitely something to be said for keeping some things locked away for a special day, so that there is something to look forward to and anticipate, and every day doesn't turn into a clone of every other day.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:I think all holiday / special maps that have been played enough that any bugs would have already been detected, should be given an honorary foundry stamp and opened up for all players all the time.

This business of keeping maps around for years and only letting them be played for a week a year is a bit ridiculous. If they're good enough to play for a week a year for several years in a row, they should be good enough to play all the time.

The fact that many of the holiday maps are "simple" should merely make it easier to give them a pass and open them up.

If we open up all the special event maps, then what would be left to make special events special? If you went to see fireworks every day, what would there be to make Victoria Day magical (or Independence Day, I suppose, for you)? If people served eggnog and platters of macadamia nuts all year round, what would there be making Christmas special? If you dressed like a witch every day, would Halloween lose its mystique? (Well, I suppose you could be auditioning for a part as my Grade 10 English teacher, but that's another story.)

There's definitely something to be said for keeping some things locked away for a special day, so that there is something to look forward to and anticipate, and every day doesn't turn into a clone of every other day.

I agree, that this should only be for the world cup maps because the others (christmas easter etc) are once a year, but world cup is only once every 4 years.. so its kinda pointless.
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby greenoaks on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:49 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:A possibility we have been discussing is simply removing the year, renaming them FIFA Men's and Women's World Cup, and taking them down for a few hours (if that) evvery four years to update the countries once qualification is complete.

sempai

i like this option
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby patrickaa317 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:30 pm

greenoaks wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:A possibility we have been discussing is simply removing the year, renaming them FIFA Men's and Women's World Cup, and taking them down for a few hours (if that) evvery four years to update the countries once qualification is complete.

sempai

i like this option

NoSurvivors wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I agree, that this should only be for the world cup maps because the others (christmas easter etc) are once a year, but world cup is only once every 4 years.. so its kinda pointless.

agreed with both these.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby NoSurvivors on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Any word on this? :o
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Armandolas on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:29 am

patrickaa317 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

sempai

i like this option

NoSurvivors wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

agreed with both these.

i agree on what patrick agreed
Colonel Armandolas

Postby NoSurvivors on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:00 pm

yo, sempai, did this get any more attention? :O still a waitin :)
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:55 am

I thought alot about this.....in the end I'm open to almost all suggestions about these two maps.

Personally I would leave them open and as they are now.
The idea to leave them as they are but change the graphics (revamp) it's not bad, although i think that these two maps are part of the CC history...yeah we can revamp them if there's desire.
But change them just because the year is a bad precedent I won't create. As Foundry Foreman I allow revamps only for 3 main reasons:
1. the original mapmaker has given permission (if not available the community want the revamp)
2. the map violate any sort of copyrights
3. the map has serious issues, such readability, clarity, colorblind issues, etc
No maps can be changed without a real and serious reason. I think it's fine if we remove the year, I can easily ask to MrBenn to provide a copy of the map without the year, i can try to contact samuelc812, but i'm not sure he is around anymore... (I think we can easily remove the year anyway if we - as community- want it, just leave there the credits to the authors).
But I strongly suggest to try to not change the maps just because the year.

Now, if the two maps will be unlocked all time, they must NOT see like "now all time limited maps will be unlocked"
It won't work in this way. All the other time-limited maps will stay closed.
Let me explain. We have two maps the community love, they were used for a special event, they were made for a special event.
It was 2010 and 2011, it can't happen again. They are no more special. I think that for the CC player should be just special be here when the maps were released, be part of the event...but now they are just two maps (not saying they are shit, although i don't like them so much)...there's no more point into keep them closed.
Differently, maps like X-mas, easter, St.patrick...they will stay closed because they are seasonal maps. Moreover the event guys can use them so I'm not going to allow to remove so precious material from their hands. ;)

Said that, considering that admins should be ok with have them open....
if you want to have them unlocked as they are...I'm fine with the idea. :)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:07 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I thought alot about this.....in the end I'm open to almost all suggestions about these two maps.

Personally I would leave them open and as they are now.
The idea to leave them as they are but change the graphics (revamp) it's not bad, although i think that these two maps are part of the CC history...yeah we can revamp them if there's desire.
But change them just because the year is a bad precedent I won't create. As Foundry Foreman I allow revamps only for 3 main reasons:
1. the original mapmaker has given permission (if not available the community want the revamp)
2. the map violate any sort of copyrights
3. the map has serious issues, such readability, clarity, colorblind issues, etc
No maps can be changed without a real and serious reason. I think it's fine if we remove the year, I can easily ask to MrBenn to provide a copy of the map without the year, i can try to contact samuelc812, but i'm not sure he is around anymore... (I think we can easily remove the year anyway if we - as community- want it, just leave there the credits to the authors).
But I strongly suggest to try to not change the maps just because the year.

Now, if the two maps will be unlocked all time, they must NOT see like "now all time limited maps will be unlocked"
It won't work in this way. All the other time-limited maps will stay closed.
Let me explain. We have two maps the community love, they were used for a special event, they were made for a special event.
It was 2010 and 2011, it can't happen again. They are no more special. I think that for the CC player should be just special be here when the maps were released, be part of the event...but now they are just two maps (not saying they are shit, although i don't like them so much)...there's no more point into keep them closed.
Differently, maps like X-mas, easter, St.patrick...they will stay closed because they are seasonal maps. Moreover the event guys can use them so I'm not going to allow to remove so precious material from their hands. ;)

Said that, considering that admins should be ok with have them open....
if you want to have them unlocked as they are...I'm fine with the idea. :)

+1
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby patrickaa317 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Open them up!
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:01 am

If the suggestion team is fine with it...i can't rule here ;)

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 am

thenobodies80 wrote:If the suggestion team is fine with it...i can't rule here ;)

I think that we'd be fine, if you were fine. Everyone knows that maps go through the foundry. This topic probably belongs there, really. This is perhaps just a better avenue to get a change to the public than the foundry would have bene.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:

That`s good enough for me. SUBMITTED to thenobodies80
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Re: [GP/GF] Permanently Open the World Cup Maps

Postby blakebowling on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:24 pm

I was hoping tnb would get to post this, but I didn't want to make you guys wait any longer.

The World Cup Maps have been OPENED!
Private blakebowling

Postby chapcrap on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:13 pm

blakebowling wrote:I was hoping tnb would get to post this, but I didn't want to make you guys wait any longer.

The World Cup Maps have been OPENED!

IMPLEMENTED

=D>
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:55 pm

A huge thank you to all involved. I am glad you guys saw what I was saying :)
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:46 am

First of all, thanks to blake for releasing the maps. :)

Now, maybe nobody cares, but i will track the games for a couple of months just to see how it goes.....just to be sure that the idea to have just one map without the year wasn't a better choice.

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions