Conquer Club

Moderator rankings

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Moderator rankings

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 am

Is there anywhere that people have compiled a list of "good" mods? Having been in two games recently that were abandoned by the mods, I am inclined to never play a game they mod again.

On the flip side, I recently played in a very well run game that I would instantly play in any other game that person modded.

Perhaps there should be a grading system or scoring system for mods, so that when opportunities arise to join a game, we can see whether the mod has been reliable in the past or not?
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Re: Moderator rankings

Postby new guy1 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:35 pm

That would be cool, a running forum post is something I could run. People could mail me what they rated a player in a few categories like Activity, Emergency actions (like modkilling and how they treated the situation, though that could get a little too opinion based), and things like that. The only problem then is if multiple games finish while Im unable to be on CC and I get too many mails, but I have two overflow mailboxes for when that happens, so thats not likely :P. If you wanted I could dig into the previous page and just mail some players who were in the games to rate the mods to give us starter information.

Something else that could be done is if one of the programming people in here (I remember there were a few that worked with some code) could make a widget for ranking players as mafia players and as mods. I dont know, throwing everything at the drawing board, cause I would love this idea to be implemented somehow.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:58 pm

I'm sure this is something that is pretty subjective. I mean, I ran into some medical issues and Tarantino Mafia was suspended for at least a couple months. RL happens sometimes and I would think a mod's rating couldn't fully be quantified by activity although it is a big part.

Also, some of us have had different experiences than others. Fircoal used to be much more active and his games were much faster and active. Times change, but my memories of fun games tends to trump more recent memory of him.

Ultimately, I think everyone is going to rate things differently, but there definitely is a list of mods who's games I'd join pretty much automatically. I might be missing a few, but that may be more because they aren't currently around and if they came back I would play.

edocsil
strike wolf
ga7
nagerous
Captain safariguy5

Postby new guy1 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:10 pm

I didnt think about it that way. That makes sense. I know the mods that I like, and I just thought of it as a tool to help those mod's games fill faster due to them being more up to the task.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby nagerous on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm surprised there are less people willing to give moderating a goal right now and less active games awaiting players. It is very rewarding, Masket's game recently finished so I think there would be a fair few people up for signing up to another as well.
Captain nagerous

Postby new guy1 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Well I mean I already signed up for anark cause that one interested me, but recently Ive had some time to be able to play two games, I just havent been interested in it when there were two games. I can say that if there was another one by MM, I would be signing up for it, because I have time for both games, and I enjoyed the last one very much.

Just to give examples of mods I would recommend (havent played anark, but I think it will be actively modded).
Sergeant new guy1

Postby strike wolf on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:19 pm

List of mods I trust to make a good game:

Pancakemix
Safariguy-always balanced pretty well.
Edocsil
Mr. Squirrel-I miss him.
Commander9-when he's active makes some of the best scenes.
Nagerous-I remember Nag making a few really good games.
Fircoal-As Saf said, when he's able to stay active, he makes really fun games.

List of players (not including those above) that have made a really fun and/or well balanced game in the past:

Rodion-FFVII was fun. Interesting balance wise but only game I've played in with him modding so we'd have to see where it goes.
Tailgunner-Hectic Eclectic I believe was run by him. Had a lot of fun in that game. I'm trying to remember if I played in another game he modded but that's the one I remember.
Minister Masket-Valkyria was fun. First game I've played with him modding that I remember (There may be another way back in the archives but I can't recall with any certainty)

Out of those above who fairly consistently finish their games (I'm including but being less strict on playing games as well as modding as it is a factor)

Safariguy
Pancake-some minor issues with activity but always finishes from waht I remember and no long delays.
Edocsil
Rodion
Mr. Squirrel-when he's here.

I don't think I've ever played in a game Ga7 modded so I can't speak on his.

As far as ranking. Stuff like fun levels of the mafia are pretty opinion based and hard to accurately judge, we have players rate but I would have to assume that this would be biased because players who sign up for a particular theme are more likely to rate that game higher because of the theme. What we could do is put an analysis of stats like games completed/games modded. Average length of days/nights and average length of games. Average level of content. Average level of content per day or day phase. It would take quite an effort to look through though and some would be misleading as some games like Fircoal games attract more night talk and that can jumble the stats and there really is no way to completely cut out fluff in the analysis without a standard agreement of what is fluff which would take a group of people looking at each individual questioned "fluff" post and saying yay or nay.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby rishaed on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

It really depends really, the mod can make or break a game for people, yet we are people, and also liable to make mistakes as well. Abandoning your game that you made though is not acceptable IMO though, if you made it you should also make sure you will be able to spend enough time to mod it. For the most part the pre-setup with names and other things take the most time in my opinion. I have been fortunate enough as a mod that things have not gotten extremely out of hand for the most part during any of the games I have modded. Also, if we were going to rate mod's things can change based on circumstances.... Though I'd love to see another game by /. Hes made some wonderfully exciting setups from what i can see in the archives. (Also HP was lots of fun :).
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby edocsil on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Yeah, I always finish my shit, but after the fiasco of my last game I've given this a bit of a break. If another official game jumps up I'll dive on host/playing again, but for now I'm taking a breather.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby The Weird One on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:33 am

In the defense of some of the mods that have had to abandon games: life does happen and intervene.
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 am

That reminds me, I really should get back to coming up with a good setup. Been kicking a few ideas around in my head, will have to start putting them down and see what I come up with.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Iron Butterfly on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:09 pm

The Weird One wrote:In the defense of some of the mods that have had to abandon games: life does happen and intervene.

While a agree 100% that life happens I think the real issue is the fact that the mods abandoned their games without the common courtesy of an explanation. Instead of several player hoping "Todays the day..."

I just now saw Commanders post.

It takes 30 seconds to log on and perhaps a minute or to write a sentence or two to explain the situation.

[url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=341][img]http://i1025
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby The Weird One on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:20 am

Iron Butterfly wrote:
The Weird One wrote:In the defense of some of the mods that have had to abandon games: life does happen and intervene.

While a agree 100% that life happens I think the real issue is the fact that the mods abandoned their games without the common courtesy of an explanation. Instead of several player hoping "Todays the day..."

I just now saw Commanders post.

It takes 30 seconds to log on and perhaps a minute or to write a sentence or two to explain the situation.

Fair enough...Honestly, that post was more of a self defense bit...my only themed game I modded ended with me having to put it down to a combination of some inactivity, but, mostly, my computer dieing and me losing all of the roles and notes on it.
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby Fircoal on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Honestly sometimes the reason why there is no explanation and why it seems like it's in limbo forever is because at least for me, as the mod I have the same feeling that today will be the day that I actually update things. And it's after that continues and continues to be put off, that it gets less likely and certainly that it won't be today only happens by the time that I've stopped caring about it (Which is usually a long time in the future.. )
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Fircoal wrote:
Iron Butterfly wrote:

Honestly sometimes the reason why there is no explanation and why it seems like it's in limbo forever is because at least for me, as the mod I have the same feeling that today will be the day that I actually update things. And it's after that continues and continues to be put off, that it gets less likely and certainly that it won't be today only happens by the time that I've stopped caring about it (Which is usually a long time in the future.. )

Honestly...this is why I would rank you lower in the mod rankings. "I've stopped caring about it." As the mod, it is your responsibility to update the game.
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Return to Mafia Discussions