Conquer Club

Moderator Accountability: A theoretical Question

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Moderator Accountability: A theoretical Question

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:45 pm

universalchiro wrote:Come for the games, stay for the forums. Enjoy the discussions with players around the world in Off Topic forum. Ooops, scratch that, the forum is controlled by a band of derailers. Just come for the games (hope that's enough to increase member count).

I give this derail a 3/10.

edit: 8/10 for catching TGD. Nice baiting, UC!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
universalchiro wrote:Come for the games, stay for the forums. Enjoy the discussions with players around the world in Off Topic forum. Ooops, scratch that, the forum is controlled by a band of derailers. Just come for the games (hope that's enough to increase member count).

Yeah, my post took too much work for the potential payoff.
Private 1st Class thegreekdog

Moderator Accountability - theoretically possible?

Postby BoganGod on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:01 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

I've given up on the off topics forum, due in main part to UC and his/her/its constant one issue repetitive drum thumping.

Would it be possible to get a moderator code of conduct published. Including little things like
- owning your actions, lock a thread own the lock
- explaining(including referring back to the rules and moderator guidelines) your lock, post delete or other interfering.
- Clear acknowledgement that the rules also apply to mods/admin
- A clear disciplinary list for mods, including mods being stepped down for set periods of time or permanently for infractions. No more of this business as usual with cheaters, and having cheater's punitive actions against other players stand.

Don't think any of the above are inflammatory or even difficult to implement. Why has this not been done in the past?
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Re: Moderator Accountability - theoretically possible?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am

BoganGod wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

I've given up on the off topics forum, due in main part to UC and his/her/its constant one issue repetitive drum thumping.

Would it be possible to get a moderator code of conduct published. Including little things like
- explaining(including referring back to the rules and moderator guidelines) your lock, post delete or other interfering.
- A clear disciplinary list for mods, including mods being stepped down for set periods of time or permanently for infractions. No more of this business as usual with cheaters, and having cheater's punitive actions against other players stand.

Don't think any of the above are inflammatory or even difficult to implement. Why has this not been done in the past?

Why bother? You know what's easier? Encourage the mods to moderate less.

Just get outta the way!

Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:52 pm

That is the sexiest pic I have ever seen. Too bad my avatar spot is too small.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:03 pm

BoganGod wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

There is a comprehensive set of rules that moderators follow, as you are suggesting; we do not publish it, however.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby BoganGod on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:43 pm

So we have no way of knowing whether the rudeness and/or lack of accountability is within the guidelines or the actions of disgruntled arseholes who have been driven mad by this community. Mets, in your role of dropping hints/vague utterances. Does the illusive and secret mod responsibilities list include - Own/sign each thread lock and/or edit you make.

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:56 pm

BoganGod wrote:So we have no way of knowing whether the rudeness and/or lack of accountability is within the guidelines or the actions of disgruntled arseholes who have been driven mad by this community. Mets, in your role of dropping hints/vague utterances. Does the illusive and secret mod responsibilities list include - Own/sign each thread lock and/or edit you make.

I think the procedures Mets is referring to did mention that a reason should accompany a lock, etc. But maybe the procedures didn't -- I can't recall the fine details anymore.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby owenshooter on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:59 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
BoganGod wrote:So we have no way of knowing whether the rudeness and/or lack of accountability is within the guidelines or the actions of disgruntled arseholes who have been driven mad by this community. Mets, in your role of dropping hints/vague utterances. Does the illusive and secret mod responsibilities list include - Own/sign each thread lock and/or edit you make.

I think the procedures Mets is referring to did mention that a reason should accompany a lock, etc. But maybe the procedures didn't -- I can't recall the fine details anymore.

--Andy

come on andy... you know the details don't matter when it comes down to CC vs. any member... HOWEVER, i will concede that during my time on CC while you were running about the jungle, you did become a much better overall moderator in a very odd way... you were no TWILL, but without a doubt you changed in an overall positive manner... that's it, i have complimented the monkey, this thread is over... lock 'er down!! the black jesus has spoken...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes, it is a general rule that moderators are supposed to post with a reason when they lock a thread. However, in some cases where it is patently obvious why a thread is being locked (like an account spammer, etc.) then we may not bother.

Postby BoganGod on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:21 am

Metsfanmax wrote:

Yes, it is a general rule that moderators are supposed to post with a reason when they lock a thread. However, in some cases where it is patently obvious why a thread is being locked (like an account spammer, etc.) then we may not bother.

So based on the above statement. A lot of you kiddies have gone rogue on occasion. :lol:

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:39 am

DoomYoshi wrote:The thread on forum PC got me wondering - we all know that moderators need to be accountable for their actions, but how is this balance best served.
There are a few main groups that mods need to be accountable to: the admins, the users, the other mods and the monkeys.

How is the balance struck?
If the mods were only accountable to the admins, it wouldn't really be "community-managed". If the mods were only accountable to the users, there could be a problem of 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner.

Mods being accountable to each other is important. At the end of the day, Night Strike and dako (random names) need to be able to both say: "I'm on Team CC, and proud of it".

All mods have to be ordained ministers to the word of the monkey god.

Being accountable to the admins is probably the easiest check - if blakebowling thinks I don't represent Team CC, I'm gone, simple as that.
Being accountable to other mods is also pretty easy. We have well-defined responsibilities, and where they do overlap, we are able to discuss any differences. This accountability goes on behind the scenes.

How do you think accountability to users a)has been previously established b)should be established?

Or do you think it doesn't matter that much?

Great this is being discussed here now, wasn't a few months ago. It's apparently ok for the current admins to remove a moderator without telling them they have been removed.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby BoganGod on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:09 am

@jdsiz - me thinks is probably one of the upsides for admin of using a volunteer workforce. Whilst would be super to imagine that the niceties and pleasantries are observed. Based on personal experience I imagine that is not the case.
Would theorise that mods as volunteers are not in a position to sue for unfair dismissal. A bit like casual/or seasonal labour, mods may find themselves being told their services are no longer required. If they aren't told, and are just dropped that would be pretty cold and gutless on the part of the person/persons doing the dropping. Know being a mod is a thankless task, but literally being dropped with no reason or thanks. Who does that?

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:04 am

BoganGod wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

So based on the above statement. A lot of you kiddies have gone rogue on occasion. :lol:

I understand the tenor of ur remarks Bogey, but I think in this case its clear that what hes saying is... when its obvious that people are actin up and knowingly doing things that are against the rules, an explanation isnt needed... I wouldnt give one if I were a mod and it was obvious to anyone people were actin a fool...im not sure ud takenthe time either... I would see you often saying...

LOCKED... OBVIOUSLY LOCKED
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby BoganGod on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:44 am

let me see rhp. Obvious locks, yes they exist. There have also on more than a few occasions been anonymous locks for no immediately obvious reason. Knowing that your deliberately obtuse stance on some things is just to send the rather literal kiddies with OCD crazy I won't explain the obvious..... I know, that you know, that I know you know what I was talking about. Calling unprofessional/sloppy moderating going rogue is my way of maintaining my reputation for exaggeration.

Do you know that doom yoshi locked a thread where I called him gullible

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:59 pm

BoganGod wrote:let me see rhp. Obvious locks, yes they exist. There have also on more than a few occasions been anonymous locks for no immediately obvious reason. Knowing that your deliberately obtuse stance on some things is just to send the rather literal kiddies with OCD crazy I won't explain the obvious..... I know, that you know, that I know you know what I was talking about. Calling unprofessional/sloppy moderating going rogue is my way of maintaining my reputation for exaggeration.

Do you know that doom yoshi locked a thread where I called him gullible

LOL... I did not know that...

and btw, I wasn't going after you @ all.. I (though, admittedly not caring much) agree with much of your (yes, often times exaggerated to varying degrees) diatribes on various topics in here... I just thought that criticizing more obvious and distasteful forms of mod misc
conduct would more forcefully and purposefully advance your agenda.. I could be wrong

quoting what Mets said (which seems a reasonable thing to say on is part) and then breaking down that quote to support your position, at first glance (and every glance thereafter) seemed at best, counterproductive to your macroscopic goal... (If I may even so bold as to imply you have a goal in the first place)
Last edited by rhp 1 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:01 pm

LOL @ rhp... I have never locked a thread, you got tricked by BG!
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:LOL @ rhp... I have never locked a thread, you got tricked by BG!

tricked? I'm not sure how.. if it was something he made up to make me look foolish, the joke would be on him as I pride myself on not really being aware of what transpires in the forums to begin with... so it would only be amusing to people who take an entirely different approach to forum posting than the one I take....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:24 pm

BoganGod wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I've seen instances where protocol was not followed, but I think they are the exception and not the rule. If you catch such an instance, please feel free to contact a mod and ask them to post a reason why. We have access to the logs so we know who locked what.

Postby The Voice on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:47 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
BoganGod wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I've seen instances where protocol was not followed, but I think they are the exception and not the rule. If you catch such an instance, please feel free to contact a mod and ask them to post a reason why. We have access to the logs so we know who locked what.

Better yet, why don't they just post the question in the thread? ;)
Major The Voice

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:57 pm

The Voice wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
BoganGod wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Better yet, why don't they just post the question in the thread? ;)

Well now, if they could actually post in the thread then we wouldn't have this problem would we?

Postby kentington on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Mods are supposed to post their reason for the locks and who did the locking. I don't know about other forums, but in OT if this happened there would be a thread about the locked thread in minutes. OT protests, shoot OT makes a thread about a locked thread, or the thread locker, even when the reason is posted. People don't like their threads locked, which is understandable. It is like telling a joke and just before the punch line someone puts duct tape on your mouth.
But I don't see a reason to punish a mod for forgetting to post a reason for the lock. I think it should eventually be done, but definitely be done.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby jefjef on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Now c'mon - Lets be honest. It's almost always obvious why threads get locked and rarely requires an explanation.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby owenshooter on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:27 pm

BoganGod wrote:Would it be possible to get a moderator code of conduct published. Including little things like

i still think this is a good idea and i don't know why it isn't posted in the teams section, so people can know what to expect from their mods or what to expect if they pursue becoming a mod. i for one am no longer shocked when i see a mod openly abusing their power within the forums, it has become pretty common. the instances of them using their position to gain points, etc, just seem "meh" now, in context with all the shit mods have done on this site in the past... i was just openly flamed in the forums by a team member, filed a formal complaint and am yet to hear back... i am pretty sure that if i called someone a "venereal disease" in the forums, i would be on that same ol' owen ban that they used to hand out like conquer stars (before there were conquer stars). i think Bogan has a great idea and team CC should consider doing this...-Jésus noir

p.s.-team cc, keeping it classy:
DoomYoshi wrote: GD has no traffic because of venereal diseases like you. It's here because that's where it belongs.
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:04 pm

What happened to tgd?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion