Conquer Club

Slovakia - V12 - Pg 1&14

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Slovakia - V12 - Pg 1&14

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:34 pm

thanks bruceswar.

could a member of the cartography team upload this xml please?

http://zimmah.webs.com/slovakia1.1.xml

the one that's currently live doesn't have stredne povazie and dolny zemplin starting at 2 neutrals. it has them at 3.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:53 pm

DiM wrote:thanks bruceswar.

could a member of the cartography team upload this xml please?

http://zimmah.webs.com/slovakia1.1.xml

the one that's currently live doesn't have stredne povazie and dolny zemplin starting at 2 neutrals. it has them at 3.

that one isn't fixed yet either. Use the one below, that one is fixed.

http://zimmah.webs.com/slovakia1.1b.xml
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:46 pm

could somebody please upload this? thanks

zimmah wrote:Use the one below, that one is fixed.

http://zimmah.webs.com/slovakia1.1b.xml
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gilligan on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:08 pm

once I am added back I will try.
Major Gilligan

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 am

Gilligan wrote:once I am added back I will try.

any news?
Major DiM

Postby Gilligan on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 pm

DiM wrote:

any news?

Apologizes, got caught up with classes and the holiday.

Forwarded to bigwham for upload
Major Gilligan

Postby Gilligan on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Gilligan wrote:
DiM wrote:

any news?

Apologizes, got caught up with classes and the holiday.

Forwarded to bigwham for upload

updated :D
Major Gilligan

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:29 pm

thanks mate.
Major DiM

Postby laughingcavalier on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:47 am

Many thanks Dim. A nice small map to play in beta. I will be playing more games here I am sure.

Being slow and old, this map did take me to the limit of what I would reasonably expect for visual clarity on a small map with basic gameplay. It took me a while to understand the bonuses and I still donā€™t see them at-a-glance the way one might with a traditional design that had a single colour for territories of one continent. It was not fully clear to me until play was underway that the thick blue lines were impassables. With the place names being unusual to an English eye, the font used, that is not always easy to read, adds complexity. The preceding are probably general thoughts. The one you may want to look at is that I found the background design so strong it makes it a bit of a challenge to see the territories, and their continent-affiliations. Perhaps it would be easier to view if it was closer to the opacity of the smaller version of the map in the bottom right hand corner with the continents marked? If, in effect, the borders and flags could be made to stand out a little more, it might be easier to play.

For gameplay I like the way small bonuses are relatively easily attainable ā€“ it adds interest and complexity to the game.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby Donelladan on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:24 am

I have more or less the same comment than laughingcavalier.
I find the design of the map make it unclear. Why don't you simply color the regions like in baltic state? That way we can at once see where is the limitation of the bonus. Would make the map easier to play.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby owenshooter on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:12 pm

i agree with demon...
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby ariskocrat on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:40 pm

I concur with Donelldan and Laughing Cav. Owen brought up the map in GC and I checked it out. Thought it looked like a good setup, then the region bonuses were bothersome enough to figure out I said "forget it." Color coding would be a simple fix, but probably wouldn't be up to what the creator wanted stylistically. Maybe instead of the mini-flags, the regions could be signified by laying down their flags over the terrain as was done in the Slovakia map in the lower right corner?
Lieutenant ariskocrat

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Just played my first game on this map, came here to post what's already been posted.

It's f*cking impossible to tell those bonuses apart.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby blakebowling on Mon May 25, 2015 12:37 pm

As the mapmaker is no longer active, this map is considered Abandoned. As there are still readability concerns about the bonuses, I cannot quench this map out of beta.

To avoid a perpetual beta with no end in sight, I am closing this map. If the map is rescued by a mapmaker or someone else, I will consider reinstating the beta status.

Map Closed and Moved to Abandoned.
Private blakebowling

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:25 pm

blakebowling wrote:As the mapmaker is no longer active, this map is considered Abandoned. As there are still readability concerns about the bonuses, I cannot quench this map out of beta.

To avoid a perpetual beta with no end in sight, I am closing this map. If the map is rescued by a mapmaker or someone else, I will consider reinstating the beta status.

It's a shame that the mapmaker isn't coming back, but I wish we would have just quenched it. It was one of the more visually beautiful maps on the site, and the fact that half a dozen people complained about the readability isn't exactly conclusive evidence. I'll bet I could find you half a dozen people who don't like any of the maps on the site. Slovakia is a lot easier to figure out that something like King's Court II. I have a small monitor and bad eyes and I had no difficulty reading this map.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
blakebowling wrote:As the mapmaker is no longer active, this map is considered Abandoned. As there are still readability concerns about the bonuses, I cannot quench this map out of beta.

It's a shame that the mapmaker isn't coming back, but I wish we would have just quenched it. It was one of the more visually beautiful maps on the site, and the fact that half a dozen people complained about the readability isn't exactly conclusive evidence. I'll bet I could find you half a dozen people who don't like any of the maps on the site. Slovakia is a lot easier to figure out that something like King's Court II. I have a small monitor and bad eyes and I had no difficulty reading this map.

Yeah, and ...

... what's all this daft 'ownership' stuff anyway?

If someone makes a map, they agree to it being used by CC. Can they not also implicitly agree to the map being adjusted in their absence?

In fact, on the same theme, why cant we pick-up stuff in the recycle bin from absent mapmakers and work on them ... ?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

Yeah, and ...

... what's all this daft 'ownership' stuff anyway?

If someone makes a map, they agree to it being used by CC. Can they not also implicitly agree to the map being adjusted in their absence?

In fact, on the same theme, why cant we pick-up stuff in the recycle bin from absent mapmakers and work on them ... ?

It's not like this 'artistic property' has huge financial worth to the individual! They have signed that away already.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby iancanton on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:01 pm

i have to disagree with the map being visually beautiful: those blue impassables are among the uglier ones on any map, while laughingcavalier's comments above concerning the font and strong background colour have some merit. despite this, the map works in a functional kind of way, even though the fact that the bonus zones are denoted solely by flags seems to generate a number of complaints from players who don't look at the mini-map.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Previous

Return to Recycling Box