Conquer Club

World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Winner: overlander]

Tournaments Completed in 2014.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [39/40 Players]

Postby kirillk on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:55 pm

in please samurai or whatever is free :)
Lieutenant kirillk

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [FULL]

Postby anamainiacks on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:42 am

kirillk wrote:in please samurai or whatever is free :)

We're full, so I'll put you in as a reserve!

Tournament is now full, and still taking reserves of course.
Colonel anamainiacks

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 1]

Postby anamainiacks on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Update

And we're off! First batch of games have been sent out. Hopefully we won't be needing any replacements... Link to scoreboard has been added!

Also, for transparency's sake, placing for TPA4 scoring purposes will be decided as such:
  • 1st - 8th: Winning faction, ordered by Phase II scores.
  • 9th - 40th: Remaining 4 factions, ordered by Phase I scores regardless of faction score.
  • The tiebreaker rules will be applied where relevant. Phase I tiebreaker will have the additional last determining factor: higher faction score.
  • If the tiebreaker rules cannot break the tie, players will be listed with tied placings.
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon May 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Game 14383976 - Is this the first flag to be captured?
Also, question: if a player loses on Classic, then wins on their home map, does the matchup go back to Classic or does it end without a capture?

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby anamainiacks on Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:Game 14383976 - Is this the first flag to be captured?

Nope, Dukasaur beat you to it :P Game 14377930. Yours is the 3rd!

sempaispellcheck wrote:Also, question: if a player loses on Classic, then wins on their home map, does the matchup go back to Classic or does it end without a capture?

Thanks for the question - it ends without a capture. Going back and forth would take forever!
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby anamainiacks on Thu May 08, 2014 8:17 am

Update

We're a week into the tournament now, and games are progressing nicely. The Romans have surged ahead with an early lead, having accumulated 3 flag captures thus far. The Pirates and Terracotta trail behind with 1 capture apiece, while the Knights and Samurai have yet to get on the board. It's still early in the game though, and even in the round, so these numbers could see drastic changes!

Enough games have been completed for us to have some nice statistics - because stats are always fun! So let's have a look.

• We have 9 completed matchups, 23 currently making their flag capture attempts, and 8 still battling in no man's land.
  • Of the 9 completed matchups, 5 (55.6%) have ended in flag captures.
  • The Romans have the best winning percentage on Classic, winning 12 out of 14 (85.7%) so far. They are followed by:
    • Knights (6 of 12, 50.0%),
    • Samurai (5 of 11, 45.5%),
    • Pirates (5 of 14, 35.7%), and
    • Terracotta (4 of 13, 30.8%).
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon May 19, 2014 10:53 am

I captured one flag and failed on Feudal War to capture another. Does that not go back to a fight on Classic again? Or does it basically count as a fail for both players as both failed to capture the opponent's flag?
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby anamainiacks on Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:I captured one flag and failed on Feudal War to capture another. Does that not go back to a fight on Classic again? Or does it basically count as a fail for both players as both failed to capture the opponent's flag?

Yep, I answered this a while back (: The answer is the same!
anamainiacks wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:Also, question: if a player loses on Classic, then wins on their home map, does the matchup go back to Classic or does it end without a capture?

Thanks for the question - it ends without a capture. Going back and forth would take forever!
Colonel anamainiacks

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 2]

Postby anamainiacks on Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 am

Update

Round 1 has ended, save for 2 matchups which have just entered the flag capture attempt. And so the games for Round 2 have been sent out.

The scoreboard has changed up quite a bit since the last update, with the Pirates surging ahead to the top with 6 flag captures, while the Romans now trail behind them in second place with 4 flag captures. The Knights, Terracotta and Samurai follow behind with 3, 2 and 0 flag captures respectively. The remaining 2 matchups could see the Pirates extending their lead to 7 flag captures, and the Samurai possibly and hopefully getting themselves on the scoreboard with 1 capture!

In the race for the GA Medal for most flag captures, general cod currently takes the lead as the only player that managed to capture 2 flags in the first round!

Once again, let's take a look at some of the stats! Not that it actually matters at all, but it's always cool. (Stats do not include the results of the 2 ongoing matchups.)

ATTEMPTS (% win on Classic).
  1. Romans - 75.0%
  2. Knights - 56.3%
  3. Pirates - 43.8%
  4. Terracotta - 43.8%
  5. Samurai - 31.3%
CONVERSION (% win on Capture Attempts/Away Maps).
  1. Pirates - 100.0%
  2. Terracotta - 40.0%
  3. Romans - 33.3%
  4. Knights - 33.3%
  5. Samurai - 0.0%
DEFENSE (% win on Capture Defence/Home Map).
  1. Pirates - 77.8%
  2. Romans - 75.0%
  3. Samurai - 66.7%
  4. Knights - 50.0%
  5. Terracotta - 40.0%
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 am

anamainiacks wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:I captured one flag and failed on Feudal War to capture another. Does that not go back to a fight on Classic again? Or does it basically count as a fail for both players as both failed to capture the opponent's flag?

Yep, I answered this a while back (: The answer is the same!
anamainiacks wrote:

Thanks, and sorry, I was being lazy.

I guess the defending home flag percentages aren't all that reliable since some of us haven't had to defend our flags yet?
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby anamainiacks on Tue May 20, 2014 10:49 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Thanks, and sorry, I was being lazy.

I guess the defending home flag percentages aren't all that reliable since some of us haven't had to defend our flags yet?

Don't worry, I'm happy to answer all questions!

And yes, I guess you could say that. The same could be said about the capturing enemy flag percentages - not everyone has had the chance to make a flag capture, nor has everyone played on the same Away map just yet - it's probably the least reliable of the lot right now. Though like I said, they're all just for fun (:
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue May 20, 2014 10:51 am

anamainiacks wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Thanks, and sorry, I was being lazy.

Don't worry, I'm happy to answer all questions!

And yes, I guess you could say that. The same could be said about the capturing enemy flag percentages - not everyone has had the chance to make a flag capture, nor has everyone played on the same Away map just yet - it's probably the least reliable of the lot right now. Though like I said, they're all just for fun (:

Yeah, no worries. Thanks mate.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 2]

Postby anamainiacks on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:14 am

Update

We're down to the last 4 matchups for the round, and while we wait for them to finish, let's take a look at the scoreboard so far!

The Pirates maintain their lead with 10 flag captures (with potentially 2 more), while the Romans stay in second place with 8. The Knights are still in third with 5 captures, but the surprising thing is that the Samurais have had a late surge, making up lots of ground after their poor Round 1 performance, and are now tied for third with 5 captures as well (and potentially 1 more)! Now in last place, the Terracotta have just 3 captures (with potentially 1 more).

general cod still remains in the lead for GA Medal, but he now faces some stiff competition from djelebert, as both now hold 3 flag captures apiece. It's no surprise that these players are contributing greatly to their teams as well, the Pirates and Romans respectively.

crazycolin of the Terracotta has also been replaced by kirillk after not responding to invites and PMs.

And once again, some stats! (Stats do not include the results of the 4 ongoing matchups.)

1. Romans - 62.5% (previously 75.0%)
  2. Knights - 59.4% (previously 56.3%)
  3. Pirates - 50.0% (previously 43.8%)
  4. Samurai - 43.8% (previously 31.3%)
  5. Terracotta - 34.4% (previously 43.8%)
  1. Pirates - 58.8% (previously 100.0%)
  2. Romans - 40.0% (previously 33.3%)
  3. Samurai - 38.5% (previously 0.0%)
  4. Knights - 31.3% (previously 33.3%)
  5. Terracotta - 30.0% (previously 40.0%)
DEFENCE (% win on Capture Defence/Home Map).
  1. Romans - 72.7% (previously 75.0%)
  2. Pirates - 69.2% (previously 77.8%)
  3. Terracotta - 60.0% (previously 40.0%)
  4. Samurai - 55.6% (previously 66.7%)
  5. Knights - 46.7% (previously 50.0%)
Colonel anamainiacks

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 3]

Postby anamainiacks on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Update

Sorry for the lack of updates the past week, I was away on vacation.

All matchups have progressed to the flag capture stage. We do have a problem though, as babagonosh (Pirates) and lapdog (Samurai) both seem to have left the site, but we don't have anymore reserves. I'm still attempting to find reserves, but so far to no avail. If you could refer any of your friends, that'd be great! Otherwise, I'll attempt to device a way to work around this.
Colonel anamainiacks

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 3]

Postby anamainiacks on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 am

Update

As I have not been able to find replacements for the players that have dropped out, the following rules have been implemented for the Pirates and Samurai:

For each round from now till the end of this phase, 1 team member will be randomly chosen to play an extra 2 matchups in their place.

The results of the matchups will count for the team as per normal, but flag captures for or against the chosen individual in these extra games will not count towards his individual score, for fairness in the GA Medal, TPA points and tiebreaker purposes.

Should any of the other team factions have dropouts, the same rules are likely to be applied. But let's hope that won't be needed!

Now, let's keep this tournament moving along!
Colonel anamainiacks

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 5]

Postby anamainiacks on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 am

Update

We're now entering the second half of Phase I, as we enter Round 5 out of 8.

At our halfway mark, the scoreboard now stands with the Pirates still on top with 21 flag captures, while the Romans are still behind but within striking distance with 18 flag captures. The Knights trail in 3rd place with 13 captures, while the Samurai and Terracotta struggle behind with a mere 8 flag captures. The way things have been going, it's likely that it'll be a 2 horse race from here between the Pirates and Romans. It's also worth mentioning that the Pirates are the only faction to have all members having scored a flag capture.

Meanwhile, the race for the GA Medal remains neck-to-neck with general cod and djelebert still tied at 5 flag captures apiece, closely followed behind by overlander and TheTrueNorth with 4 apiece. With 8 possible flag captures left for each player, it's still anybody's game though.
Colonel anamainiacks

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 6]

Postby anamainiacks on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 pm

Update

Round 6 is now in progress, so let's take a look at where the scores stand.

After a stellar round, the Pirates extend their lead over the others with a whopping 28 flag captures, while the Romans fall further behind with just 21 flag captures. Behind them, the Knights come in with 18, the Terracotta with 12, and the Samurai with 10. It seems all but certain that the Pirates will be the ones moving on, unless some tragedy happens. But for the sake of TPA scoring and the GA Medal race, we shall be playing all 8 rounds of Phase 1 to completion.

Speaking of the GA Medal, it's still general cod and djelebert tied at 6 flag captures apiece. overlander follows closely behind with 5 flag captures.
Colonel anamainiacks

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase I: Round 8]

Postby anamainiacks on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Update

It looks like I forgot to do an update after Round 6, so we'll do a collective update for the past 2 rounds.

The Pirates maintain their lead with 37 flag captures, though their lead over the next faction is now reduced to 4 captures. And finally a change in the standings on the scoreboard - the Knights inch ahead of the Romans with 33 flag captures over 32, putting them in 2nd place. Still, with just 1 round left and 4 flag captures difference, it seems unlikely that any faction can overtake the Pirates. The Terracotta maintain 4th place with 17 captures, while the Samurai trail with 14 captures.

The race for the GA Medal is now tighter than ever, as overlander and djelebert are now tied in first place with 8 flag captures each, with djelebert losing his lead after failing to capture a flag in Round 7. The other player still in contention for the GA Medal is general cod, with 7 flag captures.

Games for Round 8 have been sent out - the end of Phase I is here!
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Hey!

Just wanted to point out that the spreadsheet says I have 1 flag capture, but I actually have 2: Game 14383976 and Game 14904872.

sempai

Postby anamainiacks on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:41 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:Hey!

Just wanted to point out that the spreadsheet says I have 1 flag capture, but I actually have 2: Game 14383976 and Game 14904872.

sempai

Hey! (: For Game 14904872, you were playing as a stand-in for one of the players in your faction that left the tournament (the asterisk next to the faction name in the game tag is the indication). So the score counted towards the faction, but not towards the individual count, since these were technically extra games for you! I think I PMed the faction to explain this previously. Hope that clears things up, and thanks for the enquiry!
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:48 am

anamainiacks wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:Hey!

sempai

Hey! (: For Game 14904872, you were playing as a stand-in for one of the players in your faction that left the tournament (the asterisk next to the faction name in the game tag is the indication). So the score counted towards the faction, but not towards the individual count, since these were technically extra games for you! I think I PMed the faction to explain this previously. Hope that clears things up, and thanks for the enquiry!
Oh - my bad, then. I knew that was a thing that happened, but didn't realize that was one of the games.
Thanks for the clarification, and apologies.

sempai

Re: World War X: Capture The Flag [TPA4] [Phase II]

Postby anamainiacks on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:49 am

Update

All games for Phase I are now complete, and the results are in.

Pirates come out as the clear winners with 43 flag captures, after taking the lead right from the start.
Romans come in second, with 38 flag captures.
Knights place third with 35 flag captures, despite a last minute surge that threatened to displace the Romans and at one point even the Pirates from their positions.
Terracotta trail far behind the top 3 with 21 flag captures.
Samurai comes in last with a mere 16 flag captures.

As such, the Pirates will be moving on to Phase II of the tournament. As they only have 7 players remaining on their team, the one player will receive a bye each round while the rest will play each other in a round robin fashion.

The race for the GA Medal was far closer than the team race. The round ended with 2 players tied with the most flag captures - djelebert and overlander, with 8 captures each. It eventually came down to the difference in flag captures verses flags they lost - overlander lost 2 flags, while djelebert has never let another player capture his team's flag.

As such, djelebert is the winner of the General Achievement Medal! =D>

And finally, some stats to end off Phase I:

1. Romans - 56.3%
  2. Knights - 55.5%
  3. Pirates - 53.9%
  4. Terracotta - 46.1%
  5. Samurai - 38.3%
  1. Pirates - 62.3%
  2. Romans - 52.8%
  3. Knights - 49.3%
  4. Terracotta - 35.6%
  5. Samurai - 32.7%
  1. Pirates - 66.10%
  2. Romans - 66.07%
  3. Knights - 52.6%
  4. Samurai - 46.8%
  5. Terracotta - 34.8%
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:12 am

anamainiacks wrote:Update

All games for Phase I are now complete, and the results are in.

Pirates come out as the clear winners with 43 flag captures, after taking the lead right from the start.
Romans come in second, with 38 flag captures.
Knights place third with 35 flag captures, despite a last minute surge that threatened to displace the Romans and at one point even the Pirates from their positions.
Terracotta trail far behind the top 3 with 21 flag captures.
Samurai comes in last with a mere 16 flag captures.

As such, the Pirates will be moving on to Phase II of the tournament. As they only have 7 players remaining on their team, the one player will receive a bye each round while the rest will play each other in a round robin fashion.

The race for the GA Medal was far closer than the team race. The round ended with 2 players tied with the most flag captures - djelebert and overlander, with 8 captures each. It eventually came down to the difference in flag captures verses flags they lost - overlander lost 2 flags, while djelebert has never let another player capture his team's flag.

As such, djelebert is the winner of the General Achievement Medal! =D>

And finally, some stats to end off Phase I:

1. Romans - 56.3%
  2. Knights - 55.5%
  3. Pirates - 53.9%
  4. Terracotta - 46.1%
  5. Samurai - 38.3%
  1. Pirates - 62.3%
  2. Romans - 52.8%
  3. Knights - 49.3%
  4. Terracotta - 35.6%
  5. Samurai - 32.7%
  1. Pirates - 66.10%
  2. Romans - 66.07%
  3. Knights - 52.6%
  4. Samurai - 46.8%
  5. Terracotta - 34.8%

Well, I guess I'm outta here. Congratulations, Pirate bastards! Rome will rise again, but maybe not here. :lol:

Thanks for a very nice and professionally-run tournament, anamain! =D>
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby anamainiacks on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:31 am

Dukasaur wrote:Thanks for a very nice and professionally-run tournament, anamain! =D>

You're welcome, hope you enjoyed it!
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby anamainiacks on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Update

We are now deep into the proceedings of Phase II, as the games for Round 11 have just been sent out.

Even though the number of games played per player isn't equal at this point, the competition at the top half of the table seems very heated indeed. overlander, who held the most flag captures for the Pirates for Phase I and barely missed out on the GA Medal, currently sits in first place with 6 wins out of 8. Trailing behind with 5 wins out of 8 are Silly Knig-it and biscuit boy, while TheTrueNorth has 5 wins as well, but took 9 games to get there.

Slightly behind but still within striking distance is general cod with 3 wins out of 7. His 8th and 9th game could still bring him up to where the rest of the competition stands. Behind him, pindary and sempaispellcheck sit with 2 and 1 win on the board in 7 completed games, having slim chances of getting back on top.
Colonel anamainiacks

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2014