Conquer Club

Game of Thrones Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Game of Thrones Map

Postby _sioux_ on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Map Name:
Mapmaker(s):
Number of Territories:
Special Features:
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:

It would be a map that would be cool to play to the GOT fans.. with territories that could be a lot of options..

Map Image:
[bigimg][/bigimg]
Private _sioux_

Re: Game of Thrones Map

Postby DiM on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:23 am

copyright
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Jomax100 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:49 am

we need a GOT map
Lieutenant Jomax100

Postby GioDuce on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:02 am

Sounds like a cool idea, but you'll need another name for it maybe like DIM says
Cook GioDuce

Postby psxws on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:35 pm

GioDuce wrote:Sounds like a cool idea, but you'll need another name for it maybe like DIM says

Thanes of Gröm!

The known world of Gröm consists of the continents of Västofus, a vast, sparsely-populated land, and Ostpsyke, home of the Seven Clans, ruled from the Steel Seat at Queen's Take-Off.

Inner Västofus is a vast and icy wasteland, filled with dreaded tribes of wolf-riding barbarians. The eastern edge of the continent is home to the nine Thingsteads, independent city-states that frequently trade with Ostpsyke. On the north coast are the frozen city-states of Thrallfjord, which is home to a massive Thrall trade.

Ostpsyke, home of the Seven Clans, is divided into the regions of Körn, the Sträcka, Stormmark, Kronemark, the Ståløyer, the Vesturlander, the Flodlander, the Dalur, and the Suður. South of the Suður is the Gorge, a colossal canyon along the southern border of the Seven Clans. Not much is known of the hot dunes beyond the Gorge, beyond the fact that they're populated by bands of roaming nomads that call themselves the Fremen, and there are tales of creatures far worse, desert djinns of legend called the Dun Draugr from the Land of Always Drought in the far south.

Gröm is at war! While the Jarls of the Seven Clans fight for control of the Steel Seat, a pretender in Västofus prepares an invasion...

What do you guys think? The map would obviously be upside-down, and the weather for each region reversed. I think the "dragons" should also play a part, but I don't know if to leave them as dragons (they play a large part in Norse mythology) or to change them into something else. I was thinking maybe "iceworms" (to go with the Dune references) or Kraken (since that's also Norse, but that seems more limited to being at sea).

Also, maybe the names in Westeros/Ostpsyke should be more Anglo-Saxon and Essos/Västofus more Norse-inspired, since technically the vikings didn't have thanes. I still think it'd work pretty well. It's unique, interesting, and easily recognizable without infringing on copyright, I think.
Private 1st Class psxws

Postby scoonch101 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:59 am

I just had the same idea and came to the forums to see if it was in the pipes. glad that it is! any progress?
Corporal scoonch101

Postby Armandolas on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:05 pm

psxws wrote:
GioDuce wrote:Sounds like a cool idea, but you'll need another name for it maybe like DIM says

Thanes of Gröm!

The known world of Gröm consists of the continents of Västofus, a vast, sparsely-populated land, and Ostpsyke, home of the Seven Clans, ruled from the Steel Seat at Queen's Take-Off.

Inner Västofus is a vast and icy wasteland, filled with dreaded tribes of wolf-riding barbarians. The eastern edge of the continent is home to the nine Thingsteads, independent city-states that frequently trade with Ostpsyke. On the north coast are the frozen city-states of Thrallfjord, which is home to a massive Thrall trade.

Ostpsyke, home of the Seven Clans, is divided into the regions of Körn, the Sträcka, Stormmark, Kronemark, the Ståløyer, the Vesturlander, the Flodlander, the Dalur, and the Suður. South of the Suður is the Gorge, a colossal canyon along the southern border of the Seven Clans. Not much is known of the hot dunes beyond the Gorge, beyond the fact that they're populated by bands of roaming nomads that call themselves the Fremen, and there are tales of creatures far worse, desert djinns of legend called the Dun Draugr from the Land of Always Drought in the far south.

Gröm is at war! While the Jarls of the Seven Clans fight for control of the Steel Seat, a pretender in Västofus prepares an invasion...

What do you guys think? The map would obviously be upside-down, and the weather for each region reversed. I think the "dragons" should also play a part, but I don't know if to leave them as dragons (they play a large part in Norse mythology) or to change them into something else. I was thinking maybe "iceworms" (to go with the Dune references) or Kraken (since that's also Norse, but that seems more limited to being at sea).

Also, maybe the names in Westeros/Ostpsyke should be more Anglo-Saxon and Essos/Västofus more Norse-inspired, since technically the vikings didn't have thanes. I still think it'd work pretty well. It's unique, interesting, and easily recognizable without infringing on copyright, I think.

Wow, u created a really nice story :)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby dd515087 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:44 pm

http://dominating12.com/image/map/36.large.jpg
Westeros map on a similar website (not as good obviously :D)
If they have one why can't we? I'm assuming they must've obtained rights or something. I think we could too
Cook dd515087

Postby owenshooter on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:35 pm

dd515087 wrote:http://dominating12.com/image/map/36.large.jpg
If they have one why can't we? I'm assuming they must've obtained rights or something. I think we could too

seriously doubt they got permission.. as DiM said, copyright.-Jésus noir™
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm

owenshooter wrote:

They got copyright permission!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby owenshooter on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:24 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
owenshooter wrote:

can you post that info? thanks...-Jésus noir™
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby dd515087 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 pm

owenshooter wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:
owenshooter wrote:

can you post that info? thanks...-Jésus noir™

Apparently the person who made the map for Dominating12 got permission from the the guy (Tear) who made the "Official Westeros Map" for GRRM. So all the copyright information necessary can be obtained through this "Tear" person. I think, not 100% sure, but that's what I found.
This is the discussion on D12 about making the map: http://dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=591
This is the map's page on the original website: http://www.cartographersguild.com/carto ... -tear.html
This is the user who made the original map: http://www.cartographersguild.com/members/tear.html
Cook dd515087

Postby owenshooter on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:29 am

so wait.. the guy that made the map, got permission from a guy that got permission to make another map? i'm confused... going to read the threads you posted..-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby betiko on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:52 am

well that dominating12 site sure looks horrible. I think we should advertise about CC there. if these guys are on that crap website it's because they never heard of cc!

anyway, good luck with wet eros; I thing that if you change slightly the names you got no copyrights infrigments. PES, the soccer video game by konami used to change slightly clubs and players names as they didn't pay copirights to fifa.
Major betiko

Postby Peter the Leper on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi guys - think keeping GOT original would be better...perhaps a query to the copyright holder would be a good place to start first - one can move on, depending on the answer.
Cook Peter the Leper

Postby betiko on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Ahuatl the Leper wrote:Hi guys - think keeping GOT original would be better...perhaps a query to the copyright holder would be a good place to start first - one can move on, depending on the answer.

This was done a long time ago and was rejected by copyright holders, that s why we are having this conversation. A map of westeros had been developed in here. But thank you for stating so many obvious things in a couple of lines.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=176691
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... 2&t=147699
Major betiko

Postby dd515087 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:37 am

The very first time this was brought up (I believe) they did manage to secure copyright privileges: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=24124
Cook dd515087

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:06 am

dd515087 wrote:The very first time this was brought up (I believe) they did manage to secure copyright privileges: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=24124

this was in 2007, as you can see most people hadn't heard of GoT at the time and I guess it was much easier.
In my links that are 2011 and 2012 map attempts, there was a copyright problem. I think the best hope we have here is that dominating 12 crap site that did get the authorization.
I think the bison king's map was the best looking westeros atempt.
Major betiko

Postby zimmah on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 pm

someone wanted to make a map of westeros once, even had a draft for it too, but got shot down due to copyright.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby The Bison King on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:26 pm

zimmah wrote:someone wanted to make a map of westeros once, even had a draft for it too, but got shot down due to copyright.

It was me... at least one of them. There's been quite a few attempts. The copyright is a problem but the solution isn't hard. Just alter them names a bit. I don't think the shape is copyrighted but I could be wrong about that.

Game of Thrones map
Sergeant The Bison King

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas